[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /vr/, i would like to start playing jrpgs. Can you guys recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mvej5qM2VM1qh1shko1_500.jpg (115 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvej5qM2VM1qh1shko1_500.jpg
115 KB, 500x640
Hi /vr/, i would like to start playing jrpgs. Can you guys recommend me some good games to introduce myself to the genre?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 500x334
>>2863739
Your picture does not do this topic justice. Allow me to interject with an appropriate non-biased one.

>pic related

Now, as for recommendations; which console will you be playing on?
>>
>>2863739
Avoid 8 bit as an introduction. It's better to play those games later if you're curious to see how developers built the foundations of the genre. You should start with some of the best ones if you want a good first impression.

Since this is /vr/, I'm keeping it 16 to 32 bit.

SNES
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana

GENESIS
Shining Force II
Phantasy Star IV

SEGA CD
Shining Force CD
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

TURBOGRAFX CD
Ys Book I and II

PLAYSTATION
Final Fantasy IX
Suikoden II
Xenogears

SATURN
Shining Force III
Panzer Dragoon Saga (you're going to have to pirate this unless you want to spend a fortune. It's absolutely worth a playthrough, however you get your hands on a copy.)

If you want something a bit less intense but still awesome games to ease you into JRPGS:

SNES
Super Mario RPG

N64
Paper Mario
>>
>>2863739
Chrono Trigger is ideal introduction. Relatively short, not too difficult, high production values, memorable characters. The story makes no sense but that's to be expected from a JRPG.
>>
>>2863802
Terrible idea to skip 8bit as well as a terrible follow up list.

Op try these out:
8bit
Crystalis
Uncharted Waters
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Phantasy Star

Snes
Live A Live
Terranigma
Seken Densetsu 3
Final Fantasy IV and V
7th Saga
Uncharted Waters New Horizons
Inindo

Genesis
Phantasy Star 2
Warsong
Super Hydlide

PSX
Vagrant Story
FF7
FF Tactics
Suikoden
Chrono Cross
>>
>>2863780
Pc with emulators, so anything is possible
>>
>>2863819
>Chrono Trigger
>story makes no sense
What's it like to be a drooling retard? You like Star Wars as well?
>>
Op here, thank you guys. This helped a lot
>>
>>2863802
>Avoid 8 bit

fuck off shitter there are plenty of great 8bit jrpgs. Magic of Scheherazade is way better than the squareshit you listed
>>
>>2863839
If he plays any of those games, he'll stop due to lack of interest.

Also, Suikoden over Suikoden II? FFIV and V but not VI? Looks like someones trying a bit too hard to be a contrarian =|/:^)

>>2863890
More than half of the games I listed aren't Square games. Nice one, faggo

(And yes, I did make edit this post multiple times because I'm tired and going to bed, fuck off)
>>
>>2863739
which redneck 'murrica neckbeard posted this
>>
>>2863905
I didnt say most of the games were sqauresoft. I gave an example of an 8 bit RPG being superior to the squareshit you listed that you seem to hold in such high regard. Learn to read you fucking retard
>>
>>2863931
>you seem to hold in such high regard
No shit, that's why I listed them. If we're being honest with ourselves, they're better games than topdown Zelda 2, I mean, Magic of Scheherazade.
>>
>>2863938
no they're not, you have shit taste. maybe neogaf might have some people you can circle jerk with
>>
File: DQ.jpg (130 KB, 640x903) Image search: [Google]
DQ.jpg
130 KB, 640x903
>>2863739
not sure if retro enough but this one was breddy good
>>
>>2863967
No, they're definitely better than topdown Zelda 2. It seems that in your search for obscurities you took the bait that anything that's an enjoyable and something most people haven't played is automatically the best thing ever. Sorry, dude
>>
>>2863968

Honestly, OP should just play this first to see if they even like JRPGs.

If not, you probably won't like any other JRPGs either.
>>
>>2863739
Here's what I'd consider the best introductions to the genre:

Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Final Fantasy VII (PS)
Pokémon gen 1 (GB)
Pokémon gen 2 (GBC)

If you want to get into action RPGs then try these:

Secret of Mana (SNES)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES)

If you want to get into strategy RPGs then try these:

Front Mission (SNES)
Tactics Ogre (PS)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)

Those are probably the best overall intros into Japanese RPG games.
>>
>>2863976
gonna disagree. DQ8 is pretty slow. Fans of JRPGs will love it, especially DQ fans, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction to JRPGs in general.

Something like FF7 is probably a better intro to JRPGs.
>>
>>2863973
no magic of scheherazade is just a really underrated RPG from an entire generation you wrote off because you have shit fucking taste. Get rekt nerd
>>
>>2864002
I never wrote it off. I said it's better to check out the later, better games of the genre. I suggest you learn how to read, retard.
>>
>>2863739
Honest answer incoming.

The way I got into JRPGs, since I had no consoles at the time, were three Game Boy games that opened the overall doors for me.

Final Fantasy Legend II, Dragon Warrior Monsters, and Pokemon Red (and Blue, but it's the same game).

Try those out, unless you particularly want a console game.
>>
>>2863916
I'm a sudamerican who wants to play japanease games, what is wrong with that?
>>
>>2863739
DON'T play Chrono Trigger first. Start with something like Lunar: The Silver Star or Final Fantasy IV.
>>
>>2864039
Why?
>>
>>2863780
Is there something more retro than that picture?
>>
>>2864040
This being 4chan and all, I'm sure I'll get at least a few scathing replies, but honestly, a very large chunk of the genre pales in comparison to Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>2864045
I'm gonna play it anyway.
Buy right now i'm playing Secrets of Mana, i just love action rpgs
>>
>>2864045
I agree, but that doesn't devalue Lunar or FF4 at all. Chrono Trigger was one of the first JRPGs I could really get into and really pushed me to enjoy them and I don't think I'd feel that way if I started with FF4 or Lunar. I cannot think of another game that could help somebody else get into the genre. Chrono Trigger's a wonderful entry level game, and not in the retarded /v/ definition that makes "entry level" seem like a bad thing.
>>
>>2864049
>I agree, but that doesn't devalue Lunar or FF4 at all.
Agreed, FFIV is actually my favorite game. It's just that Chrono Trigger is one of the very few games I'd consider perfect, and playing it after being exposed to other great JRPGs that are flawed in many aspects like pacing, story, dungeon design, etc. would probably be an even better experience, imo.
>>2864048
Your call, obviously. If you're interested, go for it. It's a game everyone should play at some point in their lives, regardless of their interest in the genre, anyway.
>>
Skies of Arcadia is excellent.
>>
>>2863843
It's a time travel story written by people who didn't think about it very hard. It's not Harry Potter, or Terminator 1, or Primer.
>>
>>2864339
Harry Potter had an even worse time travel plot.
>>
>no Wild Arms recommendation
disappointing sons, disappointing sons everywhere
>>
>>2864048
>right now i'm playing Secrets of Mana

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel to that. It's even better. If you like SoM then you'll love SD3.
>>
>>2864357
Harry Potter timetravel is single immutable timeline model, same as Terminator 1. There are no paradoxes. Chrono Trigger is Back to the Future tier nonsense.
>>
>>2864339
>>2864365
But to say the story doesn't make any sense, is saying something else entirely.
>>
>>2863739
Terranigma
>>
>>2864394
It's not, because it's a time travel story. Remove the time travel and you have something that no longer even pretends to be a coherent story.
>>
>>2863780
>I'm new
Play Ultima. or >>>/v/

Also fucking console fags.
>>
>>2863802
>Recommended Sega CD RPGs
Honestly why
>>
>>2864339
There was no reason to think about it very hard. The game was meant for kids.
>>
>>2863890
They said
>Avoid 8 bit as an introduction
That's a very different statement. If you're not familiar with the nature of jRPGs, the 8 bit generation can leave you completely frustrated and the genre ends up being lost on you. If you familiarized yourself with the genre, through some of the more accessible games, going back to the 8 bit generation is a good idea to learn about the origins, and experience more minimalistic, possibly more focused and less forgiving games.
>>
>>2866749
Because it has one of the best RPGs ever made.
>>
File: 1450490013554.jpg (108 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
1450490013554.jpg
108 KB, 500x640
>>2863739
>>
>>2863739
>im 12 and i just seen the new ff7 trailers
>>
>>2863931
>I gave an example of an 8 bit RPG being superior to the squareshit

The first Final Fantasy is the worst RPG Square ever made. It was good for it's day, but really doesn't hold up. No matter your party set up, the vast bulk of the game is just hitting attack.

You could have mentioned FF II and III as 8bit games, both of which are far more interesting.
>>
>>2867968
Hey, you gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>2868009
do you? To me jRPG has been a bit of a disappointing genre
>>
>>2868235
I like the ones that attempt to be button mashers with plot, like star ocean 2 or valkyrie profile. But yeah it's just not possible to have much depth in a game of that length.
>>
>>2867985
BALS TO THE WALL is the only acceptable party
>>
>>2868243
Yup which is why that game is such garbage.
>>
>>2868243
BETR RED THAN DEAD is superior.
>>
>>2868243
>year of our Lord 2015
>not ONLY WHTE IS RGHT
>>
>>2868243
>The one where you attack all the time and just heal now and then is best!

>>2868256
No! The one where you attack all the time and need to heal a little more then have the chance to cast shitty magic that's out-damaged by plain attacking is best!

>>2868265
>No you fools! The one where you attack all the time but have to heal often because fights take forever and your party is made out of piece of paper is best!
>>
>>2868293
but they're all made out of different paper. Depth!
>>
>>2868293
Sounds like a deeper game than Fallout.
>>
>>2868412
I can't speak to that. The only one I ever played was 3 and that was like playing a slow FPS where I could either choose to shoot and miss or pause the game, select my target every time. I didn't play it long.
>>
>>2863802
Chrono Trigger and FF VI. That's like the starting bundle for JRPGs.
>>
>>2864012

Start with Pokemon if you've been avoiding it. Then move on to Dragon Warrior Monsters, Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, then any Dragon Quest, then late Final Fantasy, then early Final Fantasy, and then PS1 gems, and then you go, and you kill yourself for being a faggot.
>>
>>2863905
How the FUCK could anyone lose interest playing Crystalis!?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.