[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't really get the appreciation for the SNES. Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: SNES.jpg (41 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
SNES.jpg
41 KB, 500x400
I don't really get the appreciation for the SNES. Is it because I don't like JRPGs and think most of the Nintendo 1st party stuff is outdone by their prequels/sequels? ie.

LttP < Zelda 1 and 2
Super Metroid < Metroid Prime
Earthbound < Mother 3
DKC - Just not good at all IMO
F-Zero X/GX > F-Zero

There's some random little games I like on it, like Mario's Super Picross, and there's some neat-looking stuff like Pilotwings that I haven't tried, but overall I can't help but feel that it's a sorely overrated console.
>>
>>2863536
Fuck You
>>
>>2863536
Pour the whole can why don't you.
>>
>>2863536
here's your (you).
Saged.
Friendly advice to the people about to the people about to reply to this retard, type "sage" into the options field.
>>
As much as I love F-Zero, you're pretty much right. It gets a lot of love from people who don't know much about retro games besides Mario, Zelda and Final Fantasy and aren't aware of how pretty much every other systems library is better (besides the N64 of course).

I love the NES but the SNES' library isn't half as good. The PC Engine feels more like the NES 2 than the SNES honestly.
>>
File: goeimpact.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goeimpact.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
It has a lot of fun games.

The fact you might prefer the NES, the Genesis, the PC Engine, or whatever other console doesn't mean the SNES is automatically not worth playing at all.

People appreciate consoles with good games, that's why I laugh at fanboys who love the SNES and hate the Genesis or viceversa. Tools, if you ask me. They ate up the marketing ads for 20 years straight and never even digested it, they just kept chewing on it.
>>
>>2863536
This is some of the worst quality bait I've ever seen on /vr/ , lol. It actually made me giggle. Cheers m8
>>
>>2863639
I guess it just feels overrated is all. I thought about it and personally I don't really like the console much. But you are right, I didn't mean to say that it was a bad system, I guess I just have difficulty finding it the golden god that its reputation seems to carry.
>>
>>2863536
nice bait
>>
Why did people like a console and its games when it came out when the company would produce better games in the future?

I'll take the rest of your opinions as just that, opinions, but LttP is the superior Zelda game. Objectively.
>>
>>2863536
I agree. SNES feels like it's ahead of its time, and I mean that in a bad way. You can tell Nintendo really wanted to make modern games. NES is much more fun because it still had strong arcade influence.
>>
>>2863536
You have some of the worst taste in video games I have ever seen.
>>
>>2863536

at least you realize that you're alone in your stupidity.
>>
>>2863745
Ahead? Meh.
>>
>>2863745

arcade was the only "influence" you could have aside from home computing games. SNES did more arcade style stuff (fighting games) and did it better. your argument is invalid. more sage for this shit.
>>
>>2863618
>It gets a lot of love from people who don't know much about retro games besides Mario, Zelda and Final Fantasy

So much this. It's like the dadrock of consoles. "Mario, Zelda, the list could go on..."
>>
Outside of the USA most people couldn't give a shit about the snes.
america is full of self centred weebs and man-children hipsters who need to show off their nerd cred by proselytising about boring JRPGs and muh Zeldas n Marios
>>
>>2863837
It was even more popular in Japan than it was in the States. Only Europe didn't really care.

You're right that it seems to be a magnet for hipsters and plebs who get Triforce tattoos to show off how le nerdy and quirky they are. Personally I honestly love my SNES but I can't figure out why so many shitheads are drawn to it.
>>
>>2863735
I don't see it, it's pretty easy and it holds your hand constantly. The dark world dungeons drag on too. Music is great though.
>>
>>2863817
snes had a lot of beatem ups and fighters, but was terrible for shooters apart from the Parodius series
>>
>>2863852
I always loved Super Metroid but never got into LLTP for some reason
>>
>>2863536
>DKC - Just not good at all IMO

It's alright anon. You just have horrible taste.
>>
>>2864074
That's the one thing he's absolutely right about though. DKC sucks.
>>
>>2864110
That that back about my cherished, serviceable, 2D platformer.
>>
>>2863536
>Super Metroid < Metroid Prime
Die.
>>
>>2863735
Link's Awakening (original, not unbalanced DX version, and played on the Super Gameboy not some shitty LCD) is the objectively superior /vr/ Zelda game. And Eagle's Tower is still objectively the best dungeon in any Zelda game.
>>
>>2863597
sage doesn't work anymore oldfriend
>>
>>2863837
I live in NZ and Love SNES.

I'm not saying Super metroid is better than Metroid Prime, but both are great games. Super Metroid has the better soundtrack though imo, even though the actual sounds aren't as "polished" as metroid prime, the actual writing of the music is far superior.
>>
>>2863536
>>
>>2863536
>Super Metroid < Prime

Thank you. I hope this becomes the default opinion one day. We can do it if we work together, Anon.
>>
>>2863618
You say NES2 as if the NES library wasn't sixty percent awful as well. Though the ratio of a library is very reflective of a console, half is actually pretty damn good. Most consoles are worse than that. The machine was solid and capable for it's era and it had the best controller until the Playstation expanded on it's design.
>>
>>2864137
Wut? Prime was shit, SM was actually great. How the fuck are you even going to bitch about one of the few things OP got right?
>>
File: georgewood2.jpg (8 KB, 226x267) Image search: [Google]
georgewood2.jpg
8 KB, 226x267
>>2863536
>DKC - Just not good at all IMO
>>
>>2863536
I actually greatly prefer the original F-Zero to F-Zero X.
>>
>>2863536
Im with you op the list goes on:
SMB3>SMW
Castlevania 3>4
Megaman 3>X series
only good on the system is Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG
>>
>>2863536

>here's my opinion

Ok. What do you want us to do now?
>>
>>2864314

yes it does.
>>
>>2863874
No lack of shmups on the SNES.
Slow pace means they are perfect for beginners.
>>
>>2863536
The SNES has tons of great non-JRPG stuff, and a shocking amount of it is actually third party. It may not have had the same raw CPU grunt the Genesis had for arcade titles, but it doesn't mean developers didn't try.
>>
>>2865064
To reinforce my point, here's a post I made in another thread:
>>2862263

Yes, there are a few JRPGs on the list, but most of the list is composed of third party action titles, and there are even a couple of western-developed RPGs (Dragon View and Shadowrun).
>>
Mother 3 is a completely different game from Earthbound. A lot of Earthbound fanatics just can't get into Mother 3 for its darker / more serious tone. In a lot of ways it becomes the JRPG that Earthbound was satirizing.
It has a more cohesive overarching story, better-defined protagonists and a couple of decent segments, but honestly the big sell for Earthbound is in the memorable little moments.

To be completely honest I didn't really get the Earthbound vibe from Mother 3 until I got to the coffee scene late in Chapter 7.
>>
>>2863536
Interesting comparison friend.
>Zelda
Shitposting
>Metroid
Completely different genres
>EarthBound
Fair but that doesn't make it a bad game
>DKC
Also fair
>F-Zero
Also also fair

Roughly 50% bait
>>
>>2865108
>Shitposting
I'm not OP, but I can't get into LttP. Game never gripped me.

>Completely different genres
Doesn't matter. It just means the genre was bad.

>Roughly 50% bait
Which should give you a good idea that OP was not baiting, but that's a genuine opinion. Next up, actually try to figure out why they might have reached that opinion, instead of disregarding it as "bait". Alternative positions sometimes give new insights
>>
File: 1426023754752.jpg (624 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426023754752.jpg
624 KB, 1920x1080
>>2863536
>don't understand the appreciation for the SNES
That's okay I'm a Sega racist and I think most of what they do/did looked and (especially) sounded like shit. Also sequels are nearly always better, especially as far as Nintendo is concerned

>LttP
A reasonable opinion even though I disagree
>Super Metroid
Fair, but I don't agree
>Earthbound
Okay
>F-Zero
Sure, that's fair, racing games have developed since the 90s
>DKC
You shut your fucking faggot mouth DKC is the shit and DKC2 is a platforming WONDERLAND

Anyway OP whatever, also fuck you why haven't you played Pilotwings

Were you too young to own a SNES
>>
>>2863536
>lttp
Disagree, though I believe they weren't able to fully managed to replicate the originality of zelda 1 for its time.

>super metroid
I played both super and prime just recently back to back and I believe I enjoyed Super slightly more than Prime. The latter had a bit of avoidable backtracking and magmoor caverns were kinda dull compared to everything else. But this is as far as I can go, both were masterpiece and I'm glad to see people who appreciated Prime over Super.

>earthbound
Kinda different games, >>2865102 this guy got it

>DKC
bait tier

>F-Zero GX
I think F-Zero aged badly, while GX is still impressive. On the other hand, most of the art direction, story and design choice look like PS2 shovelware tier. Still, this is arguable.

Overall, your post missed something like 30 or more games that make the SNES strong as fuck, even if you don't include JRPG. I could name something like Super Castlevania IV, but then you could just reply "SCIV < Castlevania 3" and we'd keep going.
>>
>>2865132
actually I grew up playing SNES but only ever had whatever my older brother bought, and he had bad purchasing habits. Since I've gone and bought and played some very good games like Panel de Pon and Goof Troop. I'm just surprised to go back and see how much I really don't care for the design decisions and executions of various SNES sacred cow titles. DKC, for example, is odd, because it follows all the same tenets of other rare games (solidly constructed challenges heavy in memorization and repetition with collection elements) and I like things like Perfect Dark and Battletoads and Super RC Pro-Am. With DKC I just hate it, I think it's that there's a clear 'right/wrong' way of platforming in that game especially in the later levels, and I'm more inclined to platformers that are exploration-focused and are more open-ended, like Mario World and Mario 64. With other ones, like Super Castlevania, I find myself disappointed in the 'hype' level. It's a much more subdued game than its 16-bit counterparts, and never gripped me with its more moody atmospheric attitude. Part of that is why I like games like Bloodlines, just a great pumped-up energy in that game.

It's funny, when I was young I had the same opinion about Sega, but in coming to /vr/ and actually going back and playing those games (especially through the 3D Classics series on 3DS) I've definitely grown to see them as a great company with great titles rarely matched by their competitors or even by themselves trying to make sequels (though games like OutRun 2 are very worthy successors in my eyes).

I guess I was trying to figure out with this thread what the big deal is with some of the more highly praised titles on the SNES. I grew up playing Mario World and consider that one on the same level as Mario Bros. 3 and Mario 64, but going back and playing games after the fact, I find more to like about the series entries released before or after the supposed pinnacles found on Nintendo's 16-bit box.
>>
If you don't appreciate the Mega Drive, NES or SNES, you simply haven't delved deep enough into the ROM chasm. No matter what you like about video games, each system has well over a dozen games that WILL appeal to you if only because their libraries are so ecclectic.
>>
>>2864581
Saging never really worked. Even though you're not bumping, it nearly always makes someone else respond to you and that bumps it. The only way to truly sage something is to hide it and not contribute at all. Any response at all will always perpetuate things. It's as useless as saying "go back to /v/"
>>
This is what I love about the new /v/
An obvious troll thread about SFC leads to "Saging"
saging going ing alling fieldings
>>
>>2865202
>I think F-Zero aged badly, while GX is still impressive. On the other hand, most of the art direction, story and design choice look like PS2 shovelware tier. Still, this is arguable.
Well the game had to run at 60FPS with other 30 racers on screen. And the race tracks still look good and that's what matters IMO (in terms of graphics).
>>
>>2865202
>>DKC
>bait tier
>this is what tasteless faggots tell themselves to avoid having to face the truth
>>
>>2870105
K
>>
ITT hipsters mad that the SNES is really popular
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.