[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ikaruga appreciation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg (36 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
Ikaruga_cover_DC.jpg
36 KB, 299x300
>>
I only played Radiant Silvergun. How different is Ikaruga compared to it?
>>
>>2863371
Completely different, they aren't really related at all besides sharing the same direction.
>>
Babby's first shmup.
>>
>>2863371
Silvergun's better. At least its bosses are interesting and fun to kill. Everything about Ikaruga is boring and casual as fuck.
>>
>>2863389

Why?

hi STG general guy!
>>
>>2863389
Make your own thread if you wanna talk about Dodonpachi.
>>
>>2863389

That's not Touhou.
>>
>>2863371
>I only played Radiant Silvergun. How different is Ikaruga compared to it?

Complete polar opposite as far as gameplay goes, the only similarity is that you can chain enemies in trios to get points. Except that it is completely optional and doesn't level you up in any form (other than allowing enemies to release junk bullets, that you can absorb to gain ammo for your laser).

It's a very minimalist game. You only have 1 weapon and 1 special weapon, no powerups, and a polarity system (you absorb bullets of the same colour, die from getting hit from different colours, and do double damage against opposite colour enemies). The game then takes that simple system and builds insanely complex levels out of it. People say it is puzzle-like, except you also need shit load of skill to beat it, and doing so feels a true accomplishment.

>>2863391
>Silvergun's better. At least its bosses are interesting and fun to kill. Everything about Ikaruga is boring and casual as fuck.

Silvergun is a grinding game. You grind up enough points on your savegame so you can make the game easier and faster. If you start from 0 points, then you still need to grind the game excessively to gain enough points to level up your weapons, otherwise the game is again ridiculously hard. A max score playthrough clocks nearly at 2 hours.
>>
>>2863450
>Except that it is completely optional and doesn't level you up in any form
Perhaps it's just me, but learning to chain really helps beating the game. I mean you get extends for it, which anyone who isn't a god at the game will need at least for the endboss.
>>
>>2863450
>he had to grind and use the save system to play Silvergun

Pretty fucking sad, but expected coming from an Ikaruga baby.
>>
>>2863463
Get out of here with your elitist bullshit, man. Nobody thinks you're cool because you're so "hardcore," you're just an asshole. You're the reason this board can never have nice discussions about shmups.
>>
>>2863463

post your score or gtfo, millennial
>>
>>2863450
>Silvergun is a grinding game. You grind up enough points on your savegame so you can make the game easier and faster. If you start from 0 points, then you still need to grind the game excessively to gain enough points to level up your weapons, otherwise the game is again ridiculously hard. A max score playthrough clocks nearly at 2 hours.
Isn't that just Original Mode? Or whatever it was called.
>>
>>2863460
how many extends can you get? I think it's only 2
>>
>>2863504
Like always I think. You get your first one at 3 mill. and then after this every 5 mill another one. Don't know why but that's the standart for this genre somehow.

I'm not that good at chaining yet, so I only can get 4 so far, but if you are really good you can get up to 6 or 7
>>
>>2863517
>Don't know why but that's the standart for this genre somehow.

not really, most arcades only give you 2 and one hidden 1-up item
>>
>>2863490
Yes. And even then, you don't have to save your power level for original mode unless you're some casual fuck that needs to play with training wheels on. Might as well just turn on god mode while you're at it.
>>
>>2863540
That's new to me. All the shmups I play always give me lives at that rate. And I already lots of shmups
>>
>>2863560
nothing wrong with using cheats for practice
>>
>>2863460
>Perhaps it's just me, but learning to chain really helps beating the game. I mean you get extends for it, which anyone who isn't a god at the game will need at least for the endboss.

Chaining helps you get used to the level layouts and the general rhythm of the game. It also can give you a lot of bonus points, which means at least one extra life per level.

The thing is, chaining can also confuse the fuck out of you, since you'll try going for the trio kills by instinct, and destroy your ship in the process. The game needs iron self control and forward thinking to get around this, or god level split-second memorization. If you want to combo, anyway. It's actually much simpler to get through some parts without comboing, and only reserve that for the easier parts.

Like, you can get 1 million+ on the 4th level no matter what, because the game launches some 120 white ships in a row, while having no bullets on screen.

>>2863463
>Pretty fucking sad, but expected coming from an Ikaruga baby.

Getting a S++ 1cc in Ikaruga is ten times harder than anything Silvergun can throw at you.
>>
-__R
-__E
NOT
-__R
-__O
>>
>>2863540
>not really, most arcades only give you 2 and one hidden 1-up item

Shmups that have bonus lives based on score, will nearly all follow the same pattern for it as Ikaruga. Lower point value for the first extra life, then a higher point value you can cycle continuously to get more extra lives (for ex. 3 mill for first bonus life, 5 mill for every later one).

The point values can be different of course.

Some other games will have bonus lives hidden on parts of the level, some won't give you bonus lives at all.
>>
File: get out.gif (471 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
get out.gif
471 KB, 474x379
>>2863630
>a DC game
>not retro
>>
>>2863630

Why did you post this?
>>
Now when you play Ikaruga you can either play for shootin' game, chain, or you can play dot eater.

So basically you can hold on to the fire button, you can hold on to the fire button in the exact order Treasure wants you to, or you can not hold on to the fire button.
>>
>>2863637
It's an arcade game that came out after the 1999 cutoff period. Reported for breaking the rule.
>>
>>2863624
>Getting a S++ 1cc in Ikaruga is ten times harder than anything Silvergun can throw at you.

Clearing RSG Saturn mode is ten times harder than anything eeguhrooguh can throw at you. Of course, you've neither done that nor got S++ in any stage in Ikaruga, so kindly shut the fuck up and stay out of the shmups genre.
>>
ITT: people comparing dick sizes in regards to a genre of game that literally nobody cares about
>>
>>2863661
Welcome to Shoot 'em Ups, so post your score.
>>
>>2863654
Sega NAOMI is a 1998 platform.
>>
>>2863654

You're not allowed to announce reports.
>>
>>2863659
The genre thankfully doesn't belong to you or your shit taste, fucktard. Why don't you go play some Tyrian or one of the other shooters that don't make you feel autistic enough? I can tell that you're the asshole who ruins the threads whenever western games come up.
>>
>>2863624
I know, being too greedy with chaining also easily can fuck you over, but in general there are also many situations where chaining is not that dangerous once you learned how to do it.
>>
>>2863680
Arcades aren't bound by the rule, only consoles.
>>
>>2863480
I think he's pretty cool.
>>
>>2863698
Are you having trouble, sonny?
>>
>>2863824
Arcades are glorified consoles.
>>
>>2863824
Platform release date applies to everything except PC games (where there is no clear release date for any platform because parts can be updated independently). NAOMI is undoubtedly a /vr/ platform.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.