[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love the pal long boxes for the Saturn. i think they are best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: IMAG0810.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0810.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
I love the pal long boxes for the Saturn. i think they are best packages for video games
>>
File: IMAG0966.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0966.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
i like how they look all side by side
>>
>>2862807
the only problem.. they're pal
>>
File: PALNTSC2.jpg (13 KB, 230x216) Image search: [Google]
PALNTSC2.jpg
13 KB, 230x216
>>2862819
>>
>>2862819
well when you are stuck in Australia and you don't have access to the internet this it what you get
>>
What's a good price for a Saturn and how easy are region mods?

Need some info. Thanks.
>>
File: IMAG0967.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0967.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1520
>>
>>2862839
not to bad i would look on ebay i usually go for hit japan
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hit-Japan-Video-Games-and-Anime?_rdc=1

usually can get a jap model for 100 aud or you can get a cart that lets you play jap games on your pal or ntsc console, you can mod you saturn but its risky , my brother tried and his Saturn is now a door stop
>>
>>2862839
I'll sell you mine for $300. That's a great price.
>>
>>2862807
The cases are nice to look at but in my experience the discs tend to get loose inside. I don't think they're all like that though.
>>
>>2862851
they do but if you put a bit of bubble rap in side it works wonders
>>
>>2862846
>http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hit-Japan-Video-Games-and-Anime?_rdc=1

Hello Ausfriend, I appreciate your reply. I'm an Americlap so I doubt buying from that shop would help me much. The information is enough help though.

So I can get a cart that lets me play jap games? That sounds pretty legit. I'm going to google it and shit never heard of this before, thanks.
>>
>>2862849

Haha no.
>>
>>2862860
hit japan is based in japan, but you have like plenty of retro stores in America you lucky bastard
>>
>>2862863

Yeah, there is even one in my town but it wants this >>2862849 anon's price for one plus two controllers.

So yeah nah 300 bucks ain't worth. I'd rather buy online.
>>
>>2862868
it japan is just one ebay store im sure you will find the Saturn you are looking for
>>
>>2862810
word
>>
Early PAL saturn boxes were awful. The disc was kinda like floating above the bottom on that holding ring, and there weren't any of those plastic flaps to hold the manual on place, so if the manual was thick and heavy it would always nudge the disc off the holder.
>>
>>2862807
>>2862810
>>2862840
They look like shitty DVD boxes.

I prefer NTSC U boxes.
>>
>>2863081
NTSC U boxes are generic and boring.
Early PAL cases are way too fragile, relying on cardboard and glue. Later ones, using plastic, are much better.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2862825
Lol. No

Japanese and American saturns are ntsc. Both play well above pals 50hz bullshit refresh rate and resolution retardedness. Yeah nah, that pic is completely wrong .
>>
>>2863841
>resolution retardedness
PAL having a higher resolution than NTSC (and much better colors) is "retarded" now? 50Hz isn't even that much of an issue, providing content actually take it into account instead of just running slower.
>>
>>2863864
lol
get out
>>
>>2863826
true wish i could change all my boxes with the plastic ones
>>
>>2863080
>so if the manual was thick and heavy it would always nudge the disc off the holder.

No, it was the other way around. The ring holder was weak and flimsy and didn't actually hold down the disc. The manual had to be very thick because it was the only think actually keeping the disc in place. Without the manual, the disc fell off the tray and pinballed inside the case.

As a consequence, and because PAL cases are two pieces of plastic GLUED TO A CARDBOARD, it is extremely difficult to find PAL Saturn games in as much as decent condition.

The later PAL games came in more dvd-like boxes, they had normal folds inside a plastic sheath, like DVD boxes or like Megadrive games did. They are much better.

>>2863845
>providing content actually take it into account instead of just running slower.

Maybe a dozen or so Saturn PAL games were optimized for resolution, and even less were optimized for speed.

As far as videogames go, PAL is always worse (except maybe on some games where slowdown helps you).

I do agree that as far as a video encoding goes, PAL is higher quality, but unfortunately most original content that /vr/ is interested in, is 60hz optimized.
Of course we do have PAL60, and we have RGB that doesn't encode into either bullshit format, so it ultimately matters little.
>>
>>2862849
>>2862868
For 300 USD I'd sell you my Saturn too. My region-free modchipped Hi-Saturn that is.
>>
>>2863845
>50Hz isn't even that much of an issue
50Hz is a huge deal, because flicker perception is non-linear. 50Hz flicker looks very much worse than 60Hz flicker. And flicker is the only way to get good motion quality at low latency from console games.

I live in a PAL country and I grew up with CRTs so I know how bad PAL looks.
>>
>>2863845
I don't mind playing jrpgs in 50hz but if you're trying to play a fighting game in 50hz its fucking hell

pal60 a best
>>
>>2864467
>50Hz is a huge deal, because flicker perception is non-linear. 50Hz flicker looks very much worse than 60Hz flicker.

Correct.
The only game that ever made my head hurt was play through Vectorman on a 50hz TV. That game is flashing the screen from start to finish non-stop (basically every time something explodes, which is almost always).

Such a beautiful game for a Megadrive though.
>>
>>2863845
>higher resolution than NTSC
>only uses it to play 240p video games
>>
File: shiggy.gif (484 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.gif
484 KB, 300x225
>all this argument of PAL vs NTSC when the Sega Saturn 60hz mod is the easiest of any console ever, you literally open the battery lid at the back and solder between two pins right there in front of the battery
>>
>>2864527
4chan is all backwards and doesn`t like easy solutions.
>>
the disks don't stay on the disk-holder clip thing
all you have to do is pick the case up quickly to cause the disk to fly off its holder and start rattling around
regular CD cases like they used in Japan are far superior
>>
>>2863841
It's pal>ntsc for tv and video and ntsc>pal for vidya
>>
>>2864527
>all this argument of PAL vs NTSC when the Sega Saturn 60hz mod is the easiest of any console ever, you literally open the battery lid at the back and solder between two pins right there in front of the battery

That either isn't there or doesn't work on most PAL Saturn.
>>
>>2864686
You could on all the good models
>>
>>2864771
>You could on all the good models

All Saturns are good models.
>>
So I bought a European Saturn a while back (it had the action replay so I wasn't too concerned) but it only plays Jap games without the cart in, how would I check if it's been modded?
>>
>>2864779
Open it and post pictures of the motherboard.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.