[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking into getting a super nintendo and a flash cart.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: 1449449140538.jpg (38 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449449140538.jpg
38 KB, 500x375
I'm looking into getting a super nintendo and a flash cart.

Is getting a stock SNES my best choice? or should I get a Retron or some knockoff shit that plays snes games?
>>
Stock. But you should already know better than to get a goddamn Retron, anon...
>>
>>2862809
I was just throwing it out there as an example
>>
Stock SNES is fine. If you're in a PAL country consider looking into modding (SuperCIC) to widen your options a bit.

Stay away from Retron, which is pretty much an emulator box fitted with cartridge slots marketed towards idiots. If you do want to go the emulator route, there are shitloads of options, almost all of them better than the Retron.
>>
>>2862813
CONT:
I don't know a whole lot about the flash cards and wasn't 100% on compatibility.
>>
>>2862818
There are a few different SNES flash carts, none of which will play everything.

>Super Everdrive / Super UFO 8
Will play almost all games that don't have special chips. DSP-1 games (Mario Kart, Pilotwings) can be played by having an actual DSP-1 soldered on (SED) or by having a DSP-1 game in the passthrough slot (UFO8).

The SD2SNES can play all non-special chip games, DSP games and CX4 (MegaMan) games without extra hardware. SuperFX and SA-1 support has been dangled for years, but it's still no closer to happening. Supports the 12MB Star Ocean hack. Also much more expensive than the other options. Fully open source design and firmware available on github btw.

Oh, and read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips
>>
>>2862801

Oy. First thing to bear in mind is that Flash carts aren't perfect. There are numerous games that won't be compatible, and some that are compatible may have in-game glitches. Games with special chips (e.g. Kirby's Dream Land 3) may be the most notorious for compatibility issues.

Secondly, Flash carts are absurdly expensive. I'm sure some of that results from the developers having to use donor carts and chips to manufacture them, but they are nonetheless not a very cost-efficient investment unless 1.) You're absolutely sure the ROMs you want to play are totally compatible, and 2.) You had otherwise planned to invest in dozens of games for this console.

>should I get a Retron or some knockoff shit

No, because then the compatibility issues are two-fold, assuming some of these console clones are even capable of booting Flash carts to begin with.

Console clones are cheap, Chinese-manufactured shit that fail within the first few weeks - several months if you're lucky.

Considering someone is going to scalp you $100 USD just for your SNES, you may be better off investing in an emulation device. For instance, a sixth or seventh console that you can softmod to run SNES emulation with considerably good performance. Wii comes to mind. GC can technically handle SNES emulation as well, but the only emulator available has some retarded sound buffering issues that the developer has no interest in trying to fix. And stay away from RetroArch. It gets shilled on /vr/ even more often than Retron does.
>>
>>2862801

Consider a Super Famicom instead. They are super cheap and much sexier than the SNES.
>>
>>2862824
>>2862830
I'll keep that in mind, I didn't realize there were so many different chips for the SNES.

I might just end up going to emulation route. I had never actually priced out Flashcards. I was thinking they'd be liek 50-60 bucks. I just wanted to play some of my favorite games without all the weird emulator hiccups you sometimes get.
>>
>>2862843
ONce you add cables and a controller it's the same price
>>
my wife and I own a retron 5, its a very nice purchase and i don't regret it one bit
>>
>>2862847
The Chinese Everdrives and the Super UFO 8 are about $50, so don't rule them out yet.
>>
>>2862857
Debatable, and that doesn't change the sexiness factor. The SNES is an abomination.
>>
>>2862894

Just get a real woman if you want sex, anon.
OP just probably wants to play games, not insert his dick into the cart slot.

I love the Super Famicom design and the colored buttons, but I also think the US SNES looks nice and elegant, and I like the purple buttons, I own both.
>>
>>2862891
>>2862891
Does your wife love it?!!!
>>
>>2862814
I like the idea of the Retron, but it's just so poorly executed and Hyperkin are being so scummy

>>2862830
Oh, so the Retron might not even boot Flashcarts? That's even less ideal.

>>2862847
>without all the weird emulator hiccups you sometimes get
Those are few and far between these days, most SNES games should emulate close to 99% perfect on most emulators.

>>2862894
Still plays the same software.
Hell, you can play SFC carts in a SNES by just removing the blocking tabs, a western SNES will read and play a Japanese game without issue, those tabs just prevent them from fitting in the cartridge slot.

>>2862969
I will say that the RGBY colored buttons are much nicer looking.
>>
>>2862824
>Still no closer to happening
they are working on SuperFX compatibility right now m8.
>>
At this point I would recommend the Super Everdrive w/ DSP over sd2snes, it's 100 bucks less and the extra chip support is clearly NEVER coming. You can find Kirby, Yoshi's Island et al fairly cheap to finish a collection. Emulation via the Wii is also a solid option.
>>
>>2863084
>I will say that the RGBY colored buttons are much nicer looking.

They ARE fun, definitely, and it's also nice that they match with the SFC logo (which sadly the SNES lacks).

But I also really like the SNES light and dark purple buttons, it has a sort of elegant, stylish look to it. I also like how X and Y are concave and B and A convex.
>>
>>2862801

Get an original SNES console. No doubts there. There is only one true SNES and it's the actual thing. Just get whichever model applies to your region (boxy SNES for America, SuperFamicom for Europe etc)... As far as flash carts go you get what you pay for. China Everdrive will suit your basic needs just fine. And as already mentioned, if you wanna play games with enhancement chips like Mario Kart or Starfox, you're gonna have to buy the actual carts. That's about it. Have fun.
>>
>>2862830
>And stay away from RetroArch. It gets shilled on /vr/ even more often than Retron does.

Bullshit.
>>
>>2863123
Any recommended sites to buy Chinese everdrives?
>>
>>2863094
>they are working on SuperFX compatibility right now m8.
No, last I checked Ikari was working on USB support for developers for 0.18. He MIGHT work on SuperFX for 0.19, maybe.
>>
Is the support really that hard?
>>
isn't it much more difficult to mod a SFC to accept SNES cartridges than the other way around
>>
>>2863685
Aliexpress is probably the cheapest. Don't expect to get your money back if it bricks though.
>>
>>2862970
Yes it was nice because It also came included with another wife as my other one c u c k me but thats okay because I still love her and c u c king is part of a healthy relationship
>>
Not sure if I should ask here but,

What are the cheapest working flash cards for:
nes/famicom
snes
n64
gb
gba
genesis/mega drive
master system (if any)
>>
>>2864849
bootleg everdrive
bootleg everdrive
bootleg everdrive
some old chinese shit
some old chinese shit
bootleg everdrive
bootleg everdrive
>>
>>2864772
>Aliexpress
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>2862830
>Console clones are cheap, Chinese-manufactured shit that fail within the first few weeks - several months if you're lucky.

Can confirm. My buddy had a Retron 3 that didn't even last a year. Also, it wouldn't play Castlevania 3 =/
>>
>>2862894
European SNES is the best looking one out of the three.

too bad it's in PAL though.
>>
>>2864861
Bootleg everdrive?
>>
>>2862843
I would do this especially if you live in a pal place

>>2862830
>flash carts are absurdly expensive
Price of super ever drive: ~100 bucks
Price of any Nintendo, capcom or square made game in my country: ~100 bucks
I could count on my fingers the games that don't work on an everdrive and are also worth playing.
>>
>>2863123
Star fox won't work whichever flash cart you get
>>
>>2862801
>should I get a Retron
Not unless you're having marrige difficulties.
>>
>>2865404
that's what he said
>>
>>2865404

your reading comprehension skills could use an enhancement chip as well there, buddy...
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.