[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was wondering if anyone got all the muffled voices through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: blood-4.png (129 KB, 802x603) Image search: [Google]
blood-4.png
129 KB, 802x603
I was wondering if anyone got all the muffled voices throughout Blood? Like the first moment you enter the train station in Wrong Side of the Tracks for instance where there is a booming intercom voice saying "time for 666 greenspire, something something wookie, it times nine"

https://youtu.be/7RlbLhwOtLQ?t=3m56s

Also it's kind of mindblowing that they were able to get Louis Freese(Cypress Hill) to say that.

Blood thread I guess.
>>
It says 666 to Greentown, the rest of it I have no idea. It's a reference to Something Wicked This Way Comes.
>>
>>2862772
Oh I should also note that the name of the train you board for the next level (the Phantom Express) is the Phantom 666, hence "666 to Greentown", that's the destination of the train.
>>
>>2862759
Rather than something wookie, could that bit be Old Milwaukee?
>>
i love this game so bought it on steam but the controls are all messed up, i spent like 10 minutes getting them just right
>>
File: meh.ro11833.gif (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro11833.gif
2 MB, 800x450
>>2862795

(Not him.)

I don't know about that, but the last part of that sentence is _definitely_ "...and points North."

"Phantom 666, Greentown to Old Milwaukee and points north." <===Could it be?
>>
>>2862802
Yeah, it's a shame you have to jump through hoops(configuring controls in setup, bmouse, changing to midi audio, disabling auto aim) to get the game to be playable
>>
>>2862806
Yes, but there's a part in the middle:
"Phantom 666, to Greentown [...], Old Milwaukee and points north."
>>
>>2862816

A preconfigured Blood.ini would alleviate a lot of that bullshit.
>>
So no one bothered to check what the announcer says after, what, almost 19 years now?
>>
File: 1404065582443.png (240 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1404065582443.png
240 KB, 512x384
>>2862882
>so you wanna be a retro star and live large, big house, five cars, old milwaukee something yadda yadda
>>
Clipped version

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7513037
>>
>>2862826

Muffled bit sounds like "*something* town" to me.
>>
>>2862882

Blood never was as popular as even Shadow Warrior, which was already much less popular than Duke3D in turn. Not surprising.

Plus, no open source thanks to fucking Atari pulling a Zenimax.
>>
>>2862826
Could it be ""Phantom 666, to Greentown it follows to [1 syllable], Old Milwaukee and points north."
>>
>>2862816
Just run the original files on dosbox. Works a treat. fuck steam
>>
File: Kingpin_-_Box_Front.jpg (46 KB, 420x532) Image search: [Google]
Kingpin_-_Box_Front.jpg
46 KB, 420x532
Strangely enough, even the Blood-Wiki doesn't have it.
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/References_in_Blood

>>2862759
>Louis Freese(Cypress Hill)
Holy shit, really? That's awesome.

>>2862917
>don't trust nobody gotta look over your shitposts constantly
>>
>>2863234

This. I'm sure some awesome m80 somewhere on the 7 proxies seeds a pre-configured setup. No reason to buy into Valve's bullshit.
>>
Phantom 666 to Greentown, it follows to Datton, Old Milwaukee and Points North.
>>
>>2863262

>Strangely enough, even the Blood-Wiki doesn't have it.

That's actually not very surprising at all. Like I said, the Blood fandom is _fucking small_ as retro FPS fandoms go. Do you know what I had to go through to find a decent 100% secrets guide?
>>
>>2863270

Sounds plausible, except "points north" is just an old-timey way of saying "a buncha' cities north of this station, yo!", not a proper noun.
>>
>>2863270
Nice one /vr/.

>>2863281
Yeah, the first game is supposed to take place some time during the first World War. Interesting choice of the setting and pretty uncommon.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-18_17-15-32.png (8 KB, 894x318) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-18_17-15-32.png
8 KB, 894x318
>>2863270
I don't think it's Datton. It sounds and looks like just one syllable.

Also what is Datton? Is it a reference to something?
>>
I WANT JOJO
I WANT JOJO
JOJO
JOJO
>>
File: perspective.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
perspective.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Episodes rating:

1 > Cryptic Passage > 2 > 4 > 6 > 3

Cryptic Passage would have been on par with the first one if it didn't hand out health like candy which made the episode not much of a challenge, but still fun. The level design however was top-notch throughout. I also can't decide which of the last two were worse, but I have to go with 3 with biggest offenders being the dam control area and an entire level dedicated to sewers.
>>
>>2863751
>which made the episode not much of a challenge
Blood was hard as balls last I recall, by design, extra health doesn't seem like it'd change how hard it is unless you're not sharp enough
>>
I suppose Blood doesn't support using a gamepad?
>>
>>2863275
Uh, watch s YouTube video or check the blood post mortem fan website? There's loads of 100% runs on YouTube and the postmortem website has a guide for every level should be an easy Google result. Hell I just googled blood level guide and got a link to a blood wiki that has a guide for every single level

Eg
http://blood-wiki.org/index.php/E1M1:_Cradle_to_Grave
>>
>>2863751
1=5>2>4>cryptic passage>3
>>
When will Atari die?
>>
Ticket please?

HEY STOP HIM, HE DIDNT PAY
>>
>>2865334
I hate mimes.
>>
CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE
>>
>>2865693
and points north
>>
>>2865693
Northbound 666 to Greentown, and farther. Chicago, Milwaukee and points north
>>
File: madbrah.jpg (48 KB, 531x411) Image search: [Google]
madbrah.jpg
48 KB, 531x411
>>
File: cult180.png (59 KB, 158x157) Image search: [Google]
cult180.png
59 KB, 158x157
SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN SEN
>>
What's going on here?
>>
*SLUUUUUUUURP*

Better than Kool-Aid
>>
Best fps ever, in my opinion. Just started it again.
Any tips on getting it to run smoother without playing in 320X200?
>>
>>2863751
6?
>>
File: herding.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
herding.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>2868417
I think 640x480 gives me a good balance between framerate and resolution.

Seconding Blood is the best FPS ever. Bloodbath is probably the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. You can really tell it was a game made by gamers.
>>
>>2868712
My understanding is that Cryptic Passage came before Post Mortem, so Cryptic Passage would be Episode 5 while Post Mortem is Episode 6.
>>
>>2868712
Not him but I think he meant plasma pak expansion episode. Blood's deathmatch levels are listed as E5Mx. When plasma episode came out the levels were listed as E6Mx. If you use the level skip cheat by pressing talk key and entering mario 5 2 for example you'll warp to a deathmatch level. Mario 6 2 would however take you to the second level of plasma pak. So some people call plasma expansion episode 6.

>>2869492
He listed cryptic passage separately though.
>>
>>2869562
>He listed cryptic passage separately though.
*My bad brain fart just woke up

>>2868732
That Webm isn't 640x480 native though. Blood looks way better at 640x480 native.
>>
>>2868732
As I get it, when testing the game, the devs got good at it and thought it was too easy, then made it more challenging. And again, and again.

It was like Iwata said, bless his soul.
>>
>>2868732
Its my favourite along with plutonia and quake. Really can't choose between these three. Duke nukem 3d is also ever so marginally just behind them.
>>
>>2869937
I like Doom 1 over Plutonia because the atmosphere and feel is very comfy to me (though Plutonia has it's own distinct appeal).
Doom on Ultra-Violence is just the right kind of fun and challenge, I can blow through it at a cozy pace.
Plutonia on average feels like it puts in more hard monsters for the sake of just fucking you, and I get that it was the intent, that it was meant for Doomers who wanted a challenge, but often the challenge is just "here's more monsters"

Blood has a great atmosphere too, but it's also a very hardcore game, it really challenges you, it's like every other level it puts you on the spot and tells you "well how are you gonna handle THIS you motherfucker?"

Blood does not fuck around in any sense, even on easy. When you play Blood, you make a commitment to take a challenge, and that's something I think is in it's favor.
I don't usually seek out games for difficulty, often I'll play on medium or easy out of convenience, you could call me a semi-casual even.
But Blood just feels like it does things right. It's like, I might laze out when other games challenge me too much, but Blood is somehow different and I really appreciate that it is, I'll play your game, you rogue.

On my first run, I didn't know you could tear off the hands or spiders, so what I did was to deploy dynamite when they showed.
But then there was the big spider boss, who really chases you, and you simply can NOT stop running or shooting, because he WILL get you if you do, arachnophobia is a powerful motivator here.

It gives a different sort of adrenaline rush and excitement that not all bossfights are quite capable of.
I wouldn't maybe put Blood in my top 3 of FPS, but it's so unique and leaves such a distinct impression that it's unforgettable, part of that impression is the challenge.
>>
>>2870038
>On my first run, I didn't know you could tear off the hands or spiders

The first time I played Blood I didn't know you could set yourself free from choking by hitting the use key. It made me drop the game before I eventually came back and gave it a second try.
>>
>and points north
Isn't it "and time's nigh"?
>>
>>2870672
I just worked around it by jumping like a maniac and tossing explosives.

My first instinct was "What?! That's some bullshit nigga!" but I was already loving the game so much that I couldn't just give it up.

Oh yeah, just remembered a fun thing, when I did junior high in the 2000s, our classroom teacher had a daughter who'd apparantly play shit like Doom, Duke and Blood and other classic shooters.

I get a kick out of that, like a 8 year old girl playing Blood and having a blast. She thought Caleb was really cool apparently.
>>
>>2871418
I didn't even know you could get the hands off as a kid. I thought that was awesome though, and still do, because there was literally no enemy in any other game that could fill me with the kind of dread that a small creepy crawly hand could do. It was especially bad when you couldn't even see the bastard but only heard the "I'll swallow your soul!" Knuckles ran cold.

>I get a kick out of that, like a 8 year old girl playing Blood and having a blast. She thought Caleb was really cool apparently.

As kids my friends and I were around 10-12 when blood came out. We all thought Caleb was awesome as hell.
>>
What a wonderful smell I've discovered!
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.