[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game novelization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 209x293) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 209x293
What were your memories of books based on video games? Were there any games you wished were novelizationed?

I have comfy memories from the old days when my father would read to me during bedtime.
I still recall drifting off sleep as he read the Worlds of Power Mega Man 2.
>>
I used to read the old Mario CYOA books, those were the shit. Though the characterizations were inconsistent. Anybody read the Zelda ones?
>>
I read once a fan novelization of Xenogears in portuguese which also filled most of the gaps that CD2 left unanswered. Sadly, I can't find the site and I'm afraid it went down.

Most RPGs would greatly benefit from a decently-written novelization, actually.
>>
The Blaster Master book was really good
>>
>>2862096

I have a copy of Before Shadowgate that I grabbed from a flea market somewhere. I'm not into Shadowgate but I had a friend who was so I figured I'd pick it up for him, but it turned out he already has it.

I was tempted to get rid of it so I just checked Amazon and the series is listed anywhere from $0.01 to around $40, which is hilarious.
>>
I remember reading two Diablo books. One was called Legacy of Blood, the other The Black Road. I enjoyed them but I was young, they were probably pretty terrible kek
>>
>>2862096
I had Bionic Commando and Ninja Gaiden. I remember both of them being pretty okay. I really wanted a book based on Contra but that would've been a weird cover with the guns removed
>>
The Nintendo CYOA books were great fun.
>>
I bought the novelization of X-Com after getting hooked on the game. It's surprisingly good, and apparently entirely different from the Russian version that is out there.
>>
The strangest thing thing I ever read as a kid were the Nintendo Adventure Books. Those books were nightmare fuel. (But that may have been true for all chose-our-own-adventure books.) In one book Bowers, excuse me, King Koopa reenacts the invasion of the body snatchers. In another he turns Mario and Luigi into conjoined twins. Fucked up stuff man!
>>
>>2862829

Oh shot, with the samd clones? I blocked that shit out...
>>
I had the Mega Man 2 book. IIRC, didn't MM kill some of the robot masters with weapons they weren't weak to?
>>
>>2862590

I still have the Ninja Gaiden book. I really like the tips at the end of some chapters, but the book is kinda lame overall.
>>
I read those World of Power books religiously whenever I could find them in used book stores. I had Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden (did a book report about it in 4th grade), and Blaster Master. I also used to read those books with all the ProTips over and over.
>>
I've always wanted a good Startropics book. Maybe a novelization of the first game or a new story in the same universe.
LOVED the Doom and resident evil (SD Perry) novelizations.
>>
File: image.jpg (212 KB, 600x1026) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212 KB, 600x1026
>>2862096
>pic related

This book fucked me up so bad. Those feels. Those characters. It was one of the first emotional books I read as a kid that made me wish I could go back and un remember what happened to the characters. My body was not ready.
>>
>>2863882
how old were you?
>>
>>2863882
this was the one that became canon right?
>>
>>2863982
Rumor is that when Sunsoft made the Play Station game they reached out to the Blaster Master fan community to help write the story. Obviously the fans treated the World of Power books as canon and Sunsoft made it official.
>>
File: Pokemon_Jason_Rich[1].png (249 KB, 323x475) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_Jason_Rich[1].png
249 KB, 323x475
This book. Still own it, too. Always enjoyed it, even if it is just a glorified walkthrough.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.