[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I dont really ever browse this board, so sorry if this is off-topic.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Image8.jpg (88 KB, 481x357) Image search: [Google]
Image8.jpg
88 KB, 481x357
I dont really ever browse this board, so sorry if this is off-topic.

Im really particular about fov in games. In first person games, anything lower than 90 gives me this weird eye-strain/headachey sort of feeling. It's not quite motion sickness, but it's something similar. To be honest, even 90 is a bit too low.

I'm a big fan of the Souls series, so I want to play through the Kings Field series soon, but every time I try to play old dungeon crawlers I can't get past the low fov.

Does anyone else here have the same sensitivity to low fov in games? How do you deal with it in older games where increasing the fov usually isnt an option?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

I get the same thing with old first-person games. My theory is it's the same sort of effect as reading in the car; incongruities between sensory focus and motion.
>>
File: 3-dungeon1.png (2 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
3-dungeon1.png
2 KB, 640x400
>but every time I try to play old dungeon crawlers I can't get past the low fov.
Play Wizardry 1-5. The entire screen devoted to the field of view and widescreen.
Mapping is done by hand for extra immersion.
Movement is turn based (except for Wiz4) so motion sickness shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>2861242
Isn't Wizardy (and clones) only 90 degrees too? AFAIK everything before Quake was fixed FOV 90 or worse.
>>
>>2861179
You need glasses/different lenses. Seriously, this is the problem. Go see an eye doctor. You're experiencing vertigo
>>
>>2861259
Why don't you just try playing it instead of obsessing with numbers?
>>
By not even knowing what FOV is.
>>
>>2861284
Because it's the whole point of the fucking thread?
>>
You need to sit further back from your display. The sensation you're experiencing is caused by a 90 degree FOV taking up more than 90 degrees of your FOV and then moving. Obviously this will be disorienting.

Remember these games were made to be played on CRT televisions from couch distance. You're not going to miss out on any fine details or have difficulty reading text, I promise you.
>>
Have had the same effect OP described and have never gotten any sort of glasses. Playing with bad FOV usually trigger the sickness in me so much that I need to rest.

It may sound stupid but I find that the issue is helped by placing a fan on the floor before the TV. The moving air blowing toward couch.

like a open window when car motion sick.
>>
>>2861465
>>2861284

This is like telling a color blind person to not get hung up on things designed for regular visioned people... by not knowing about colors in the first place? This isn't some specific technical mathy thing, this is common sense daily every day stuff. Stop being retards holy fuck.
>>
I remember getting sick from watching a movie filmed with a shitty camera and it's awful.
You should try playing this on a TV or further from the monitor, King's Field is a console game anyway. Also, some emulators might have a widescreen hack that could help a bit.
>>
>>2861179
The only time I ever had this happen to me was when I played Marathon.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.