[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did GB games age poorly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: 250px-Supermariolandboxart.jpg (39 KB, 250x255) Image search: [Google]
250px-Supermariolandboxart.jpg
39 KB, 250x255
Did GB games age poorly?
>>
Only because the batteries tend to die after 20 years, but it's easy to replace them if you have a bitgame screwdriver.

SML doesn't use battery anyway, so not that particular game.
>>
>>2860839
Did YOU age poorly?
>>
>>2860846
very funny you autist.

>>2860839
Yes. Funny how I still get the same amount of enjoyment from NES games that i played back in the day, but i find the same GB games that i used to love to be practically unplayable these days. But i think it's LARGELY because i'm playing them on my computer screen now. gb games really should be played on a small screen.
>>
>>2860876

>very funny you autist.

What's funny? I answered to your question.
>>
>>2860876

Idk, i think Kirby's Dreamland is still a great game, same with the original pokemon games.
>>
>>2860876
You're probalby only playing those shit games from your childhood. I play GB/C games all the time on my HD screen and it doesn't matter the slightest. /vr/ is really full of purist elitist autists and it's really annoying.
>>
>>2860896
>purist elitist autists
That's quite a mouthful, lad.
>>
>>2860896
How many of those are actually black and white gameboy games? Gameboy color games are a significant improvement over the original gameboy.
>>
File: 1449241149187-2.jpg (84 KB, 794x708) Image search: [Google]
1449241149187-2.jpg
84 KB, 794x708
>>2860896
I don't think anon is being very elitist against emulators by when he says he uses them.
>>
>>2860896
You're just an overly sensitive twat.
>>
>>2860839

Games don't age. They haven't changed at all since they came out.

If you don't like it now, you wouldn't have liked it then.
>>
Most were always shit.

Mario land and all that are still awesome.
>>
>>2860934
Games don't exist in a vacuum. Playing a game in 1990 would have been a different experience to playing it in 2015.
>>
>>2860946

How? I'm pretty sure they play the same now than in 1990. Provided the carts are still working and the pins are clean.
>>
>>2860907
>How many of those are actually black and white gameboy games
Most of them.
Many GBC games actually look like trash since the artists didn't know how to use color. 15-bit color plaette on an 8-bit system was a bit of an overkill. But when used right, the games look beautiful.
>>
>>2860934
>Games don't age
True but there are, were design choices which were acceptable back then but not now. Because we didn't knew or couldn't do better. Like password saves instead of a battery save. But I really don't think the GB suffers from it more or less than any other retro game. Many of its game, especially the early titles, have a very distinctive feeling to them. Those were really designed for the handheld experience, for playing on the go. I love that.
>>
>>2860954
No one is claiming the games themselves have changed, retard. We are talking about the experience of playing these games, which means you have to take a plethora of other variables into consideration, such as how much the technology has progressed, how certain tropes have evolved over the years, how the individual taste of the player has developed over the past several years, among many others.
>>
>>2860946
But the game didn't change, you changed. It's entirely your fault.
>>
>>2860972

Yeah so the one who has aged was you, not the games.
>>
>>2860971
Password saves were a pain in the ass back then too.

>>2860972
Not the guy you were quoting, but adapting to an old game environment requires less than 15 minutes. As long as you're willing to.
>>
>>2860946
Of course I changed, as have you, and everyone else. That's nobodies fault, that's just what happens due to the passage of time.

>>2860954
Don't pretend you don't understand. .
>>
>le games can age meme
>people replying
cancer. 100% pure cancer.
>>
>>2860896
>muh hd screen
>not hd content
>>
>>2860971
Tbh I'd say the Game Boy has aged pretty well. There's a lot of shit on the Game Boy, but those games were always shit.

Games which age badly are the ones which rely on graphics, or other novel or technically impressive gimmicks, over gameplay. The Game Boy was never that impressive graphically so games had to get by on their gameplay. And if the core gameplay is good then it's always gonna be good.
>>
>>2861029
>Don't pretend you don't understand.

I understand that we, as living beings, age.

Games aren't living creatures, and also they are made of plastic. They'll last a long time unless they're caught on fire.
>>
>>2860839
they aged better than nes and snes games because they dont depend on scanlines which kids of today can connect to easier, also gbc and gba,,,,then to snes or nes.
>>
>>2861059
So you're not pretending, you're really this stupid?

The game is not made of plastic, the cartridge is made out of a variety of materials which include plastic. And yes it will last a long time if kept under reasonable conditions. But a cartridge in and of itself is not a game. You could not play a game of Super Mario Land with the cartridge alone.

A game is an interactive experience and as I said, playing a game in 1990 would have been a different experience to playing it in 2015. This is because the world was a very different place 25 years ago, ask your dad all about it.
>>
>>2861085

>playing a game in 1990 would have been a different experience to playing it in 2015

Why do you speak for everyone?

Each person have different experiences and subjective perceptions. The answer OP is making is wrongly conceived, it should be if games "age poorly", it should be something like "has your perception changed regarding playing GB games in 2015 compared to 1990?", and even then the answers would all be different. Stating that "games age" doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>2861106
>Why do you speak for everyone?
Your perception has changed over 25 years. Everyone's has. I don't consider that speaking for everyone, I simply consider that stating a fact. Such an obvious one that it shouldn't even need stating.

>Each person have different experiences and subjective perceptions.
Is anyone claiming otherwise?

>The answer OP is making is wrongly conceived, it should be if games "age poorly", it should be something like "has your perception changed regarding playing GB games in 2015 compared to 1990?"

OP could have phrased it either way, they both mean the same thing.

>and even then the answers would all be different.
No one said they shouldn't be. If everyone's answers where the same there would be nothing to discuss.

We are all different people and entitled to our own opinions. If you have any opinions of your own then feel free to voice them, rather than getting autistic over semantics.
>>
>>2861136
>Your perception has changed over 25 years. Everyone's has.
I rarely play modern games, why are you assuming everyone is used to horrible, contemporary shit? Again, not the guy you're replying to but fucking speak for yourself.
>>
>>2861143
I'm sorry but you don't live in a bubble. You have undergone biological changes over the past 25 years. You have likely experienced events which have changed your life in various ways. At least some of the people you knew 25 years ago are likely no longer in your life. There are likely people in your life who weren't there 25 years ago. The people who have been in your life for the past 25 years have changed themselves. The world around you has changed in ways which nobody predicted.

I don't care about your gaming habits, you've changed and your perception has changed with it. If you don't think it has then it's because you lack the self awareness to realise it.

I'm sorry to be insulting, but I don't know how to phrase it in a way which isn't talking down to you.
>>
I'm a /vr/ babby, only barely legal enough to be on the board.

I consider the classic Wario Land games to be among the best games I've ever played. I've spent more hours on Pokemon Yellow than any other game in the series. And the Zelda/Kirby games for Game Boy are pretty fun, even if I have other favorites in their respective series. Final Fantasy Legend didn't do too much for me, though, I'll admit.

Interpret that all however you want.
>>
>>2861181

You are one over-analyzing dense motherfucker.

I play both old and modern games (and I'm not the guy you replied to, by the way), and I don't think my newer experiences somehow spoil my enjoyment out of older games.

In fact, I kinda didn't like the GB that much back in 1990, I thought the monochrome screen was uncool. I'd say I enjoy Game Boy more as an adult than as a kid, the system itself I mean. I actually like how the dot matrix screen looks now.
As for the games, I think the bad ones are still bad, and the good ones are still good. That didn't change for me. At most, I guess as a kid I put up with portable ports of games like Mortal Kombat, I wouldn't play them now, but games like Super Mario Land, yeah it's sill cool and fun to play.
>>
I used to love MGS Ghost Babel, now Its nearly unplayable
>>
>>2861136
Why are you such a fag? Of course the scenario of 1990 is different than 2015. If you're going to analyze a game, either you put it in its context, or you compare it to current pop culture. Of course you're gonna get criticized for doing the latter, because it's unintelligent to say the least. Of course by that definition games aged bad. And by games I mean literally all of them. The masses, the industry as a whole, the casual segment has taken over. At one side you got F2P crap, mobiles games, etc. At the other you got CoD, MOBAs, AC, Battlefield, the bulk of the money flowing around.

The majority will never enjoy old games, try convincing a 15 year old to play TMNT on the NES. If you adopt this view on things, by definitions, 99.99% of all games aged bad and are shit. Even the PS2 is a niche nowadays. This is why this term isn't taken seriously, it's useless and its sole purpose is to force a view upon people, a hybrid of casual-popcult and core gaming.
>>
File: Marine_Pop_SML.png (8 KB, 184x124) Image search: [Google]
Marine_Pop_SML.png
8 KB, 184x124
>>2860839
come and find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2erzqIrzRAM

altho maybe if you enjoyed it at the time it holds more weight than if you're playing it in the current climate
>>
>>2861295
No it isn't.
>>
As someone who downloaded the ROM of this hours ago and played it nonstop until he beat it, I'm going to say no (I don't think games age at all, and this is proof)

I just beat the game for the first time a few minutes ago and I had a blast. It was kind of easy, but fun as fuck
>>
>>2861505
>I don't think games age at all
That's probably because you think that when people say "this game aged badly" they're saying it's less fun, which isn't true. It just means that it could have been *more* fun if newer design philosophies existed then. It still plays like it was designed and it's still as fun as it was then.

For example, fifth-gen 3d platformers will generally have an uncooperative camera, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's not playable. It's just a matter of learning the quirks of the system and playing around them.
>>
>>2860839
Some did, because obviously everything wasn't great, but it still had it's share of gems.

>>2860934
There's some games I liked as a kid that I can't stand as an adult.

>>2860963
Resident Evil Gaiden was incredibly beautiful and impressive for the GBC, and the audio and music is amazing.
Best experienced on an emulator though, because it runs like ass on the original hardware, and you'll get a better look at it with a bigger screen.
The gameplay is awful tho

>>2860971
>True but there are, were design choices which were acceptable back then but not now.
I'll agree on that, some games I can look back at them and think "My GOD, how did I just accept THAT? That's just bullshit!"
5th gen console games also had their share of odd (not necessarily awful) design decisions, like I can play Goldeneye and Resident Evil, but those controls were not exactly fantastic in retrospect.
I understand the limitations at hand, but I can't help but think "this could probably have been done a little better even in it's day"

>Because we didn't knew or couldn't do better. Like password saves instead of a battery save.
To be fair, that's a matter of hardware, I can deal with passwords (I'll probably use save states for anything that's impractical anyway).
Though some games and ports should really have had a save battery when they didn't, like Metroid, or Hydlide.
>>
>>2862102
>For example, fifth-gen 3d platformers will generally have an uncooperative camera, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's not playable. It's just a matter of learning the quirks of the system and playing around them.
So much this.

People react to "this hasn't aged so well" as if you're saying the game is irredeemable trash and if you had fun with it you were merely fooling yourself.

The camera in Mario 64 can be a bastard, and I hate it when it is, but that doesn't mean I don't love the game.
>>
>>2860984
>adapting to an old game environment requires less than 15 minutes.
I think that depends on the game.
I never managed to wrap my head around the controls for any of the console ports of Syndicate, I never found a manual so maybe I was doing it wrong or you wouldn't know how all the input was done without knowing the context (making it hard to just blindly learn as you go), but the notion strikes me that the controls for those ports might have just been fundamentally unsound.

>As long as you're willing to
But I guess that's part of it. I'm used to playing Syndicate Wars on PC, with a mouse.

I ploughed through 32X Doom, on 3 button mode (by mistake), it was pretty miserable (I then figured out how to turn on 6 button mode and it actually became enjoyable).
There's a few reasons I was willing to give this port a chance

Even when it's a shit port, Doom is a fundamentally fun game, I knew it would still be fun.
It has notably superior qualities to the SNES port, most in fact, aside from the music (the controls are really very good on a 6 button pad).
It's a game I already knew and loved, a different way to approach it, maybe even a bad one, wasn't going to stop me (I've beaten it on the GBA too).
>>
>>2860839

No, they were conceived poorly.
>>
It isn't that the games age, it is the industry that ages thus certain things could be phased out or new aspects are introduced thus it shows how old a game is compared to other games that came out ten or twenty years later.
>>
>>2863429
Speaking of Resident Evil Gaiden, has anyone made a romhack to make the combat not suck mad dicks?
>>
>>2861085
>A game is an interactive experience and as I said, playing a game in 1990 would have been a different experience to playing it in 2015. This is because the world was a very different place 25 years ago, ask your dad all about it.

The solution is to get VR and simulate a 90s living, maybe a 90's world in general. Virtual stores to visit with windows 95 in the windows. 90s magazines to browse through. Emulated old websites (users have to pretend it is the 90s, similar to roleplaying). Then we can play these games and get the full experience.
>>
>>2860839
Everything ages poorly at some point and we've come a long way since then. Only for nostalgics from the time or young ones who just appreciate retro things will this be timeless.
>>
>>2865482

?
>>
File: 1390539375351.gif (2 MB, 314x209) Image search: [Google]
1390539375351.gif
2 MB, 314x209
>>2860839
I actually played Super Mario Land for the first time just a few years ago and I like it a lot. It's simple but it's still very well made.
>>
>>2861106
>Stating that "games age" doesn't make much sense.
Are you fucking kidding me you autistic little shit? people refer to just about every form of visual media this way. you think you're smart because you can change that meaning?
>>
>>2865689

...No? I've never heard anyone say this for paintings, sculptures or classic cinema
>>
>>2860839
For this game yes, shit is still cash now.
>>
>>2860934
Someone can change and not have the same taste as he had before. Also some games looked better in our mind back then, since there was nothing else. Still, some other games like SML were just good to play for what they were, and I still find them like that now.
>>
>>2861106
No no but really, it's normal for someone to have a different experience as we age. We all do it, some games we like as much as we did, others we now hate.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.