[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shittiest Power Ups
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
What are some of the absolute worst power ups featured in games? I'd have to say the flame gun in the first Contra game on the NES. Why the fuck did they have to make it so damn slow?
>>
>>2860678
The flame gun is easily the best power up in the game. what are you smoking?
>>
>>2860687
I don't have anything against the flame gun, but what makes it the best power up in contra?
>>
>>2860687
How the hell is it more useful than the spread gun, which can demolish all the enemies on half the screen? Hell, the flame gun is more useless than the flamethrowers in Alien. The "F" might as well just stand for "Fuck You", because thats what I scream every time I accidentally pick it up.
>>
>>2860698
I don't know about the others, but in the GB games they kill anything in seconds, even bosses. And shit can't be blocked. Using it feels like cheating.
>>
File: Bubblegun.jpg (154 KB, 853x300) Image search: [Google]
Bubblegun.jpg
154 KB, 853x300
The Bubble Gun in EWJ2 if you want to include power ups made as a joke.
>>
>>2860709
Ah, I havnt played those, I was referring to the first one on NES.
>>
>>2860678
Laser was much worse. At least flame gun had some spread
>>
>>2860745
I think the laser only sucked during the side scrolling levels. It kicks ass when fighting bosses and bases.
>>
>>2860745
The laser was an excellent weapon
>>
File: arnold_contra_predator.jpg (214 KB, 544x311) Image search: [Google]
arnold_contra_predator.jpg
214 KB, 544x311
>>2860749
It takes a little skill to use though.
But once you realize how it really works it's bretty gud.
>>
>>2860801
>dying in contra even once and ever having to use anything but the spreaderonce you have it
Lmao scrubs
>>
>>2860710
That entire game was made as a joke
>>
>>2860801
Fuck, I never noticed that before. (The pic)
>>
>>2860812
It wasn't that bad. Now EWJ2 on the game boy, that one is the real joke.
>>
File: MagicBook3.png (168 B, 24x48) Image search: [Google]
MagicBook3.png
168 B, 24x48
>>
>>2860836
Isn't that the wand upgrade that lets you set shit on fire? I remember that being awesome.
>>
>>2860838
it's a slower, less accurate candle
>>
>>2860842
But its a good long range attack. I would keep it handy for far away enemies that I can kill without letting them get close.
>>
File: uinnertube.gif (1 KB, 31x31) Image search: [Google]
uinnertube.gif
1 KB, 31x31
>>
>>2860848
trouble is i'm pretty sure it was useless on ghosts and darknuts
>>
>>2860849
Its good for leaching level zero and thats about it.
Another example from that game would be the randomizer.
>>
>>2860851
Im pretty sure it could kill ghosts, in fact i used it for often in the grave yard since the ghosts would overlap frequently and since the flame lasted on screen for awhile, it would hit multiple ghosts multiple times.
>>
File: WizzrobeBlue.png (208 B, 45x45) Image search: [Google]
WizzrobeBlue.png
208 B, 45x45
>>2860856
i meant the wizzrobes
>>
>>2860857
True, but it was good for like-likes, bats, snakes, those blobs, mummies and pretty much any over world enemy.
>>
Cant find a decent pic of it, but probably the arm launcher from Cyborg Justice. Seriously, they already had an arm cannon which did the same thing, only you didn't have to worry about picking your arm back up again before an enemy gets to it.
>>
File: castlevania dagger.jpg (88 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
castlevania dagger.jpg
88 KB, 450x300
About the only thing it does is act as a minor punishment if it gets dropped in a hectic moment and you accidentally pick it up replacing what ever useful sub-weapon you had on you.
>>
>>2861687
Oh fuck that, especially if you had the boomerang cross.
>>
Flame is pretty good in Super C, especially the final level where the ceiling comes down, since it splits on contact and can hit those things that come down at you. It's pretty weak in regular Contra tho.
>>
>>2861687
It has range, so it's not that useless.
>>
>>2861687
Better than the fucking stopwatch that enemies would drop occasionally. Very little sucks worse in the classicvanias than to have triple shot cross or holy water, and plow through a group of lesser enemies only to see you've picked up the fucking stopwatch off one.
>>
File: large.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
large.png
3 KB, 256x224
>>
inb4 top spin internet defense force
>>
>>2861807
Has anyone ever found the range worthwhile? At all?
>>
I'd say the helmet from the first Megaman X. The only time it protects you from damage is that one time in Sting Chameleon's stage and the only power ups you can't get without it is a single subtank and an early shot at the arm cannon. Both of those are in the same stage two. So there's only two stages the helmet is useful in.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.