[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a legitimate reason for the large distaste of emulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Wii_Virtual_Console.jpg (19 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
Wii_Virtual_Console.jpg
19 KB, 600x337
Is there a legitimate reason for the large distaste of emulation on consoles? Just the disappointment or irritation I hear in somebody's voice when they say "it's emulated instead of ported", even if it's indistinguishable from the legitimate thing.
>>
I think it's just due to >paying for ROMs
>>
In general emulation is a poor representation of the original.

Stuff like horrible filters and mobile emulation are often the main focus which are terrible in all forms.
>>
>>2860653
This and only this.
>>
"Collecting" is often more of the Retro hobby, rather than "playing". Not a bad thing.
>>
>>2860646
Emulation usually mean the devs have been lazy. Dot emu are famous for shitily emulated parts
>>
File: Sonic.jpg (365 KB, 934x880) Image search: [Google]
Sonic.jpg
365 KB, 934x880
>>
>>2860651
When you buy a cartridge, you're paying for the ROM that's on the chipset. Semantics, yes, but still.

Also, it's typically dirt cheap, Earthbound is like what, a fiver? That's a humongous discount compared to the physical SNES cartridge.

I can pick up Super Mario Land on my 3DS through VC for like 2 bux, that's acceptable to me for functional portable emulation, it's peanuts.

>>2860653
Not enough to matter (at least to me), I played Batman on a CRT as a little kid, emulating it on JNes on my laptop (without any filters mind you), it's close enough for me, VC would be the same.

>>2860665
I don't get that. I mean, I get collecting, but playing the games (regardless of method) is really my priority. If there's a game I want to play, I'll look for the convenient way.

Emulating N64 games is a nightmare, so I might as well use VC
>>
>>2860646
>emulation on consoles
But there isn't. RetroArch is great on Wii.

If you're talking about paying for it, I've only seen that on /vr/ and it's a collector/emulator thing. Of course, either way you're paying for a fucking ROM+Emulator with less features than the Emulator you could have for free.
>>
>>2860646
I think Nintendo killed it with the Wii. It's a shame the Wii U doesn't have half the collection because the save state function and miiverse screenshot integration are pretty rad.
>>
>>2860683
both are innacurate
>>
I dislike it because it's bound to a single platform. I rather use the game images on my hardware of choice with my emulator/whatever of choice.
Bullshit like points instead of actual prices is another thing.
There should be more companies like gog. It's not like those games are going to get pirated if they are released without DRM since they were already pirated decades ago.
>>
>>2860741
>RetroArch is great on Wii.
I can't stand it on the Wii, there's a bug with the SNES emulation where you get button sticking with the classic controller every 10 seconds or so, and the devs know but have chosen not to fix it. Not to mention you have to manually edit the audio output rate in an ini file otherwise you'll get incredible frame drops on any SuperFX game like Yoshi's Island. I just use my PC for emulation nowadays.
>>
>>2860741

Jesus christ. Fuck off. Can you shills go a single thread without advertising this shit? I actually did download RetroArch out of curiosity, and of course it's a bugged out piece of shit as expected. It doesn't save half your configuration options, controls are wonky, and the emulation cores (all taken from third parties, some without permission by the way) are hacked up with unauthorized changes that just introduce more bugs. And many of these emulation cores already have native ports to console, and work *better* than they do with RetroArch.
>>
>>2860646

Because you can get the same thing for free on your computer, with more features.

There's no reason to buy an emulated version of a game. If i'm going to spend money, I want it to be the real thing instead of something I can download from the internet.
>>
>>2860875
>shill
Nice meme.
>>
>>2860646
>indistinguishable
If you can't tell the difference between McDonalds and food go for the cheaper one. Personally I eat McDonalds because it's convenient and cheap not because I'm to retarded to tell the difference.
>>
>>2860841
>I dislike it because it's bound to a single platform. I rather use the game images on my hardware of choice with my emulator/whatever of choice.
This is a good point I hadn't considered. Buying a SNES game but not being able to play it on my phone and stuff would suck.
>>
I dont know why people get upset about it. There's nothing wrong with companies reselling old games for people that would like to purchase them. It's emulated instead of ported because porting every single NES, N64 and SNES game would be ridiculous and a tremendous waste of time when the main market for people buying it doesnt really care about the tiny details. They just wanna buy Super Mario Bros 3 because they have an itch to play and dont want to think about it.

I know, I know. You can get a real emulator on a pc and the rom for free and these people are idiots, but it's really not that big of a deal. I mean you can download movies and music for free too but we all own some form of media we could have gotten for free instead.
>>
Because a majority of the time tge emulator they use is some outdated pice of shit that gives an inferior experience.
>>
>>2861215
Care to provide some examples?
>>
>>2860651
>>2860741
Downloading roms of gamed you do not own is illegal

So there you have a pretty obvious reason for opting console emulation.
>>
>>2860875
>the emulation cores (all taken from third parties, some without permission by the way
Is this true? I use Retroarch now and then (especially the Android version) but that's a bummer.
>>
>>2861641
Not that Anon, but my experience with the Wii Virtual Console has been more than subpar. The emulator switches to a video mode that's incompatible with my projector, so, all I get is a blank screen. Unofficial emulators never had this issue.
>>
>>2861641
All the official emulated versions of Contra I've played (e.g. Ore-tachi no Gesen Zoku, the Xbox Live Arcade) have inaccurate rolling mine behavior.
>>
>>2860651
Just because stealing is incredibly easy doesn't make the prices of Nintendo and Sony's emulated games unreasonable. Ignoring the fact that you get it off the web in seconds, are you telling me Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't worth 5 dollars?
>>
>>2860772
How?
>>
>>2861861
I like this anon.

Diplomatic and intelligent.
>>
>>2861736
They all are with permission due to the license, GPL gives everyone permission to do whatever they want with the code, so there is no such thing as "unauthorized changes" with free software. And all cores are clearly marked and credited in the info file.
>>
>>2860875
You are so full of shit it's not even funny. Everything you said is either false or highly exaggerated.
>>
>>2861154
Look at Nintendo selling you the same game for Wii, Wii U and 3DS.
>>
>>2860646
Consoles are weak pieces of shit that require hacked up emulators for fullspeed. Emulation on PC is far superior and can run highly accurate emulators with much more display options, including 240p with the right setup.
>>
>>2861861

>Ignoring the fact that you get it off the web in seconds, are you telling me Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't worth 5 dollars?

No, it isn't.
>>
>>2862275

Samefag.
>>
>>2860875

Go take your medication please. You've missed your noon dose and are highly agitated.
>>
>>2861861
>are you telling me Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't worth 5 dollars?
Not unless it comes bundled with 1, Lost Levels and USA. Better offer All Stars with them as well.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.