[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>depressed socially stunted introvert alone at party >Japanese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
>depressed socially stunted introvert alone at party
>Japanese qt suddenly grabs your hand and invites you to dance
>have a great time despite the extreme awkwardness
>soon get cucked by Seifer
>later become the leader of a team assigned to assassinate a sorceress
>you have to babysit Zell and Selphie

Why do people shit on Squall so much again?
>>
Whatever..
>>
"Whatever."
>>
>>2859687
Because he's an awkward dull cucK, you literally just answered your own question.
>>
It's the other way around, really, Squall is the one who gets to cuck Seifer.
>>
File: whatever (2).jpg (1 KB, 125x59) Image search: [Google]
whatever (2).jpg
1 KB, 125x59
Squall was pretty cool to begin with. I could really empathize with his dislike for the entire rest of the cast.
>>
>cuck
oh no
>>
>>2859697
Seifer pump and dumped, got bored, and left Squall the loose leftovers.
>>
File: jm.jpg (15 KB, 336x369) Image search: [Google]
jm.jpg
15 KB, 336x369
>>
>cuck this
>cuck that

You faggots sure love using this word, perhaps because you're the cucks.
>>
>>2859741
you can't cuck a wizard
>>
>>2859741
Blame fucking Hiroshima for banning the word, now that we can say it again it's going to be fucking spammed.
>>
>>2859687
Because people play vidya, especially RPGs, to play as a heroic figure, not some beta faggot that internalizes everything and has lame internal monologues.
>>
>>2859746
You can't fuck the cuck
>>
>>2859787
When's the last big JRPG who's protagonist wasn't a flaming faggot?
>>
>>2859834
the 1 dat came out b4 the 1 dat starred u in it fag
>>
>>2859687

>Cuck

Please stop with this shitty meme
>>
>>2859890
sure thing you cuck
>>
>>
File: FFVIII_Quistis_Recording.png (374 KB, 751x563) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII_Quistis_Recording.png
374 KB, 751x563
>>2859707
Not too mention got the much superior girl.
>>
>>2859707
>>2859687
>>2859696
In all seriousness though, did anyone here actually play this game?

Seifer and rinoa dated briefly. Rinoa broke up with him. He still liked her, hence him getting arrested at the tv station for trying to attack the president.

Rinoa dances with Squall because she thinks he's good-looking and later they get together.

Seifer doesn't cuck, nor does he 'quit it'. Might have hit it though, Rinoa is pretty bohemian.

Cloud and Aerith tho? That's messed up. Dude steals his dead friend's entire personality to get with his girlfriend.
>>
>>2859687
>>you have to babysit Zell and Selphie

More like Zell and Selphie have to put up with his angsty ass.

Squall can't so much as return a bloody handshake to Zell and we're suppose to empathize with the former?

He's a cunt. A self absorbed, stuck up, thinks he's tool cool for everyone Holden fucking Cauldfield tier cunt.
>>
>>2860016
Holden was world's more likeable than Squall

He didn't treat all of his friends Luke subhuman monologues for one
>>
>>2859687

Because he's a depressed loser over something he can't remember and if he can't remember, he's like this for no reason even though everybody likes him. The guys just a dick
>>
>>2860005
>Dude steals his dead friend's entire personality to get with his girlfriend.

That's not what happened
>>
>>2860126

I just can't understand why everyone was so intent on being friends with him. Id have written him off as a cunt day one and never so much as looked at him if I could help it but they party goes to great lengths to set up parties and events just to get his dick wet.
>>
>>2860126
Do you think he cries out Ellone's name when he's banging Rinoa?
>>
>>2860127
Zack? It sorta is, he made it to SOLDIER which was Cloud's life long dream.
>>
>>2860130
He's attractive and the best student and fighter around. Also, chicks dig jerks and men look up to him.
>>
>>2860158
Yet he was so emo and lonely because life as the best student in the school was soooo hard.
>>
I think it would be interesting to see if there were any cultural shifts in Japan around the FF8 era. Maybe that would provide an explanation for why everyone from VIII onwards comes off as an unlikable conceited dickhole.
>>
>>2859687
What was so bad about being referred to in past tense
>>
File: 1405690047941.jpg (24 KB, 297x287) Image search: [Google]
1405690047941.jpg
24 KB, 297x287
>>2859968
>she wants to fuck Squall
>he fags out on her
>>
>>2860186
Japan never had an "emo" phase at the time.
>>
>>2860181
>Yet he was so emo

The dude who resolves that he will never cry again is emo. Now I know you don't know what words mean.
>>
>>2860126
You hit the mark and then miss the point entirely.

>be Squall
>mother dies at young age
>don't know where father is
>cling to adopted sister as infant and young child
>get sent to orphanage
>surrogate sister torn away
>orphanage matron pulled away
>sent alone and scared to strange academy and taught to kill
>begin using experimental monsters that destroy his memories
>entire past and identity begin to get erased
>only the constant feeling of being abandoned and that depending on someone or needing someone will cause them to be ripped away from him
>turn into antisocial adult who can't let others get close to him and can't even articulate why he's like that
>others around him see his strength, determination, leadership and bravery and overlook his flaw of not getting close and gravitate toward him
>finds himself thrust into a leadership position
>numerous people being around him and willing to invest the time and effort begin to pull him out of his shell
>begins investing in his friends and comrades
>even falls in love with one of them
>ultimately has her ripped away from him like all the people of his past
>now he's old enough to do something about it and defies fate, going after her
>even jettisons himself into the blackness of space, expecting to die so she won't die alone and scared
>by the end of the story has become the leader and friend that everyone around him saw that he could be

I found his character arc to be pretty satisfying and well-paced. Easily the best protagonist growth of any Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>2860404
Almost the entire main cast went through the same childhood traumas, and you don't see them acting like cucks
>>
>>2860343
"I will never cry again" literally sounds like the name of emo band's hit song
>>
>>2860496
No they act like morons and constantly bitch at Squall about sharing his feelings instead of minding their own damn business.
>>
>>2860508
Maybe they're just afraid of him shooting up the school
>>
>>2860496
>Zell - adopted by a loving and - presumably - financially ok family, having a well known war hero as grandfather...
>Selphie - transfered to the hippiest garden (from the wiki "it fosters within its cadets a sense of family"), far away form her bad past, with lots of new and caring friends, only starting to use GF ater a while after Squal.
>Rinoa - daddy's girl. desperate for his atentions. turns to a lame 'resistance group' in a typical cry for atention. best previous life among the party.
>Irvine - went alone to a new garden. a very stricted one, but hey, he was good with a gun, so his life was pretty good enjoying the status of a elite sharpshooter, being such a badass that even GF were of no use for him. well...i would be pretty proud of myself knowing that i was a crappy child that rose to the challenge and now is shooting butterflies with my fingers while layed down in the grass...

Quistis, Squall got it worst. They were transfered to the same garden their abusive bully;
>>
>>2859834
>When's the last big JRPG who's protagonist wasn't a flaming faggot?
Shion was pretty cool.
>>
>>2860552
what game?
>>
>>2860554
Xenosaga. First is decent, second isn't as good, third is awesome.

Has cutscenes and story in spades.
>>
>>2860496
No, what happened is that everyone's traits at the orphanage got locked in and magnified as the GFs fucked their brains up. They became adult personifications of their child roles. Squall was the walking abandonment issue, Seifer the rebellious bully, Quistis the bossy leader, etc.

The only one who turned out normal was Irvine because he never used GFs. And so, he's a normal teenager. Wants to fuck all the QT females in the group, cocky as hell, etc.
>>
>>2860127
ok so he didn't do it intentionally, but that's the basics of ff7's plot.

The combo of jenova cells, mako infusions and SEVERE psychological trauma makes cloud take on zack's personality traits, including remembering certain events from zack's point of view.

This is why Aerith keeps saying he reminds her of her boyfriend, as he's emulating him.
>>
>>2860404
>mother dies at young age
>don't know where father is
>cling to adopted sister as infant and young child
>get sent to orphanage
>surrogate sister torn away
>orphanage matron pulled away
>sent alone and scared to strange academy and taught to kill

Is this Saint Seiya?
>>
I like how Cid never ctaches any shit for raising child soldiers and making them use GFs, even though he was probably aware of their side effects.
All because he didn't have the balls to kill his wife before she became possessed
>>
>>2860186
>>2860294
The changes in character design for the era, notably, the shift toward effeminate and stylish male heroes, is often attributed to the Visual Kei movement in Japan. Visual Kei had been around since the 1980s (think glam rock) but really blew up and achieved mainstream popularity in the mid 1990s.

So it's not quite emo, but there were a series of trends in musical genres and fashions that closely reflected those of America's in the same time period.
>>
>>2860794
>child soldiers

This is JRPG universe, 13 is basically a legal adult.
>>
>>2860158
>He's attractive and the best student and fighter around.

The opening disagrees with that assertion immensely
>>
>>2861110
The opening shows Squall wrecking Seifer's shit until Seifer cheats and hits him with a Fire spell, then takes a dirty shot at him while he's getting back up. And even despite having his face sliced in half, he fucked Seifer up too.

It's mentioned later on during the test mission that Seifer's a dirty fighter who cheats.
>>
>>2861910
All's fair in love and war
>>
>>2862023
Honestly, I never really liked that scene. As much of a bully as Seifer is, it doesn't really fit his character.

>approaches Squall
>asks him to go to the training grounds to practice their gunblades
>Squall starts kicking his ass
>cheat and blast him with magic
>stab him in the face while he's getting up from the cheap shot

Seifer's a dick to people, but he has this idea of himself as a hero. The whole Sorceress' Knight thing and emulating Laguna's role from the movie.

Later when the group attacks him:

>Squall: To us, you're just another enemy,
like one of those monsters.
>Seifer: You're comparing ME
to one of them? I ain't no monster.
I'm the sorceress' knight. And look at you.
Attacking like a swarm. You guys are the monsters.
>>
>>2859687

I liked Squall because he seemed like the most rational character who was surrounded by a bunch of cartoons and Quistis. He just wants to get the mission done while his friends are trying to set him up on a date. Also, Squall might have been a dick but he's not like that all the time. He could have scolded Irvine until the next day but he tried to calm him down and give him a slight confidence boost so that he could take the shot and even complimented him afterwards. He's just a bit of an autist. He kind of reminds me of Cyclops.
>>
"Squall is emo" is an old meme.
He just doesn't want to bother with annoying retards like Selphie and Zell and get his job done.

He actually liked Seifer until Seifer went full-retard with being the sorceress' lapdog.

He actually liked Quistis until she went all "BE MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT AND I WILL LET YOU DO ME. OH GOD I'M SO LONELY."

In fact, he's the only one who gets anything done in the Garden without pissing his pants or causing an internal war in the process, so they make him the Boss.

Even Rinoa has to pull him away from his chillin' spot and then wave her ass in front of him until he likes her.
>>
Wait how did Seifer cuck Squall?
>>
>>2860276
Squall's a dumb teenager that hadn't come to terms with the fact he'll die and be past tense one day. By that point at least. He was at that age where he thinks he's invulnerable, gonna last forever, etc. So hearing that Seifer, someone his own age, was executed regardless of it being true or not made him have to face that shit.
>>
>>2860515
With what, his big knife?
>>
>>2861910
>a Fire spell

That wasn't a fire spell, that was one of Seifer's limit breaks, and since he was fucked up enough to be able to use it I guess that implies Squall was fucking his shit up to that point. Oh, and they confirmed somewhere, may have been one of those Ultimate books or whatever, that Seifer uses Chi to do that fire shit. I don't think Chi is ever mentioned or brought up in VIII.
>>
>>2863198
>since he was fucked up enough to be able to use it I guess that implies Squall was fucking his shit up to that point

Seifer can use his limit break with his HP as high as 84%.
>>
>>2863207
That was done so you would have a good chance of seeing his limit break since he's only playable for a very short period.
>>
>>2863236
You get to see all three of his limit breaks when you fight him; several times, even.

In character, the reason is because he's undisciplined and a bully who just wants to obliterate everything in his path and doesn't want to wait for the optimal tactical opportunity to present itself. This is continually reinforced through the period of the game when he's in the party.
>>
>>2863172
The reverse sort of happened, didn't it?

>Seifer is dating Rinoa
>Rinoa goes to the SeeD dance after Seifer fails the SeeD test
>publicly gets all up on Squall's dick on the dance floor
>starts chasing after Squall while Seifer gets captured by Galbadia
>doesn't look for Seifer
>immediately rebounds after the news that Seifer was executed
>Squall doesn't even want her
>>
>>2860343
if you have to make that resolution at all you are some sort of ultra fag.
>>
>>2860552
Shion was a literal faggot trying to fuck her robot creation.

To answer that Anon's question, Zidane was alpha as fuck And barring one VERY understandable existential breakdown, constantly cheerful and optimistic.
>>
squall was just a robot surrounded by normies
>>
>>2863165
Squall's a decent general and figurehead, but the day to day operations are basically handled by Xu and whatshisface. I don't think Cid even bothered with anything not directly related to the prophecy.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.