[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think about Lunar: Eternal Blue? Just starte
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
File: 34523452345.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
34523452345.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
What does /vr/ think about Lunar: Eternal Blue?

Just started the Sega CD version, music is incredible, and last boss is kick ass as fuck

thread bgm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkuM0wB9Vw0
>>
speaking of which, once you get to the final tower you might want to escape fights, the last boss levels with you. you will know you are there when you can't return to the world map
SAVE CONSTANTLY and always keep one of those town returning items
>>
>>2859249
thanks, will do

aprox, how long is this game? 40 - 50 hours?
>>
>>2859274
about that. it's pretty short with turbo actually
>>
>>2859232
Objectively better than the first game, but not as well-recognized.
>>
>>2859232
The music on that fight is awesome

what an underplayed gem, keep playing the SCD version, OP, it is the best one
>>
I've played both the sega CD and saturn/playstation remakes of lunar 1 and 2, and prefer the sega CD version of both, but especially liked the sega CD version of lunar 2.

I remember growing up as a kid seeing lunar 2 advertised in magazines and wanted it but never did get a sega CD until much later life, playing both of the games was a trip, I had nostalgia for shit I didn't even play as a kid.
>>
>>2859501
>game where each new area is introduced one-by-one with bullshit impenetrable fences and blockades being the only thing keeping you from going further is better than one that has a much less suffocating yet still one-track world
I loved both Lunars as a kid. They learned me many English which talking I am able as you see.

Seriously, though, I replayed the SCD L2 recently and just got bored of it because of how you literally can't go anywhere except for the next place in the story.
Lemme explain.
See, in L1, from the beginning, you can't go much of anywhere yet, but once you get to the main continent from Caldor, you have access to quite a large world to explore, even before you go see Dross about the diamond. If you want, you can, once you get to Meribia, go to the main temple of Althena, Lann, Nanza, the transmission spring and Black Rose street, just because.
Then, once you get past the barrier, you've got, if I'm not mistaken, another huge are and Iluk, Reza and Meryod to go explore, even if you can't further the story until you meet Damon.
And so on.

Then there's Lunar 2. If you try to leave Larpa once getting there by boat from Hiro's house, you can't enter Dalton because it's blocked off and you can't go into the woods because that's all blocked off, too. When you cure Lucia, you can't go anywhere else /but/ Dalton until you're done with what you have to do there, then you can't go anywhere but the woods. Then, when you're done with the woods, you can't go anywhere but the next town until you do what you need to do there then you can't go anywhere else but the next town until you do what you need to do there then you can't go anywhere but the next town until you do what you need to do there then (and I'm sure you get the point).
I really, really dislike how stifled it feels in comparison.

As a kid, I was wowed by voice-acting and cinematics, but as an adult, I'm bored by lack of exploration and one-track/railroad-style gameplay.
>>
File: jm.jpg (15 KB, 336x369) Image search: [Google]
jm.jpg
15 KB, 336x369
>>
File: 1448429008374.gif (211 KB, 540x336) Image search: [Google]
1448429008374.gif
211 KB, 540x336
>>2859232
hidden masterpieces
>>
File: 56-update642.png (14 KB, 640x447) Image search: [Google]
56-update642.png
14 KB, 640x447
still holds up amazingly today
>>
got a sega CD just for the Lunar games and Popful Mail.
>>
>>2860063
op here

i will do the same when i get a new job, this fucking game is awesome and causing nostalgic feelings somehow

i literally found out about their existence yesterday.
>>
>>2859232
It pissed me off that the PS1 remake removed some stuff. They took out couple of postgame dungeons, although you didn't really need the equipment you find there. They also took out the Star Dragon fights, and generally made a lot of the bosses weaker. So it kind of felt like they took out more than they added, which is awfully strange for a game that wasn't updated that drastically.
>>
>>2859232
My Sister's old ex was in a pretty good local band about a decade ago and they made a really awesome song based off this game. I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>2860981
please post if i you find it!
>>
>>2861000
I think this link still works.
https://myspace.com/thenotalentshow/music/song/silver-star-3855243-3833577
>>
>>2861008
This link works better:
Song is called Silver Star (obviously)
http://www.purevolume.com/thenotalentshow
>>
>>2861008
>>2861016
cool as fuck! thanks anon
>>
>>2859232
Don't skill up your skills too fast, I fucked up once and couldn't cast any magic anymore because my characters levels were too low and I had maxxed skills.
>>
>>2861008
>>2861016
That was gay. Why does he even fug your sister when 2D is clearly superior?
>>
Lazy random guy scrolling through /vr/ here that has some interest in this game cause of OPs pic. Persuade me to play it, if you consider it good enough.
>>
>>2861248
op here

this made me start playing the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7gxSHsGbco

game is REALLY good, simple, but good
>>
>>2859232
lunar: eternal blue?
more like lunar: eternal SHIT

ha ha get fucked assholes!

no, it's pretty good.
>>
>>2861248
That's a tough one. Eternal Blue is a good, unique game. At the time I played it, I thought it was amazing. But It has it's problems like the odd localization from Working Designs which could possibly rub people the wrong way, and the fairly normal battle system. It doesn't ruin the game or the characters, though. At the time Silver Star was released, it had some of the first anime stuff in a standard RPG, which made it stand out. They also added vocal songs which were really rare at the time. There's a sappy love story too, but it's actually much better than the majority of those in RPGs. The ending sequence is pretty great as well, and you can't say that about most RPGs.

But, unless you play one of the Silver Star ones, you might not get as much out of it as you would otherwise. It's set something like 1000 years after Silver Star, and has a ton of references and returning characters. The Sega CD game and the remakes are pretty different though, unlike EB and it's remakes. If you're interested in the series, it would probably be a good idea to look those up first and see if you'd want to try that first instead.
>>
>>2861328

Is the SCD version of SS easier? I only ever tried the PS1 remake of it, but for all the years I've tried can't get past the fucking sewer boss.
>>
>>2861871
>Is the SCD version of SS easier?
I haven't played it, but everyone considers it the hardest version, with subsequent ones (PS1, PSP) getting easier every iteration.
>>
>>2861871
its the hardest version as it has random encounters on the world map and the random encounters in general are good ole 80s early 90s every other step shit

Both lunar games are worth playing on sega CD just to appreciate the differences between the versions, especially in the case of lunar 2
>>
>>2861962
>>2862085
It might have been harder compared to the remakes, but I don't remember it being any tougher than other RPGs at the time. Eternal Blue was dumbed down though, but that was sort of excusable since there were a few really brutal bosses in that one. The only SS one I can remember being rough at the time was the black dragon, I think.
>>
>>2862154
Fuck bosses, I remember coming across random encounters where enemies could one shot you even when you weren't underlevelled, in lunar 2 CD.

Being a masochist though, I'm all about that shit
>>
I remember playing this as a kid and being sad that I beat it. It was like being with an old friend and when I beat it that friend moved away. Until.... EPILOGUE! what's this? Why is my saved game now named epilogue? Aww shit an extra hour or so more of play?! Fuck yeah!

Seriously, this is the only game I can ever remember doing that. I was so glad when I got to keep playing. Shame that lunar dragon song for the ds sucked so much dick.
>>
>>2859232
>Just started the Sega CD version
>last boss is kick ass as fuck

Why do you do this to yourself? One of the best parts of playing any JRPG is building up to and then witnessing the final boss fight.
>>
File: 1450427236752.jpg (58 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1450427236752.jpg
58 KB, 720x479
>>2862252
I stumbled upon a video of the last boss, and i loved the concept, and the music gave me the chillz.

I know it's a sin, but it maide me say: I HAVE TO PLAY THIS. And man, i am enjoying it.

Cant wait to reach the climax
>>
File: 1277528008523.jpg (63 KB, 450x565) Image search: [Google]
1277528008523.jpg
63 KB, 450x565
>>2861319
>that horrible voice acting
>>
File: 1449980318533.jpg (43 KB, 225x274) Image search: [Google]
1449980318533.jpg
43 KB, 225x274
>>2864338
are you aware this game is from fucking 1 9 9 4

give me a fucking break fagget
>>
>>2866715
Not everyone remembers the horror of early game dubs, and that this was considered to be one of the better ones at the time.
>>
>>2866715
Snatcher was from the same era and Lunar 1 had significantly better voice acting.
>>
>>2866719
But its got such amazing talent like celeb Ashley Angel! His voice is wonderful.
>>
>>2866778
Is he that dude that bragged he was completely hairless below the eyebrows?
>>
>>2866715
>this game was made a long time ago
>therefore its hideous flaw does not exist
>>
>>2866985
Take that back, Ashley Angel has the voice of an angel.
>>
>>2866997
I didn't realize that having hair on your chest and balls makes you a bad singer.
>>
>>2866985
>expecting AAA voice acting on a game that was pioneering on voice acting

what the fuck are you even doing in /vr/ยก?
>>
>>2867045
>implying I'm "expecting" anything

You are special.
>>
File: 1445547566842.jpg (36 KB, 480x534) Image search: [Google]
1445547566842.jpg
36 KB, 480x534
>>2867059
>>
>>2867059

You obviously are if you're surprised 1994 voice acting sounds like 1994 voice acting
>>
>>2867462
I know reading isn't your strong suit, but you should check my posts again... I'm not "surprised" that the voice acting is bad. I'm merely pointing out that it's bad.
>>
>>2867867

Checked them again, you still sound like you're surprised that 1994 voice acting sounds like 1994 voice acting.
>>
>>2867872
Don't fault him. He wasn't a kid in his undies on Saturday morning getting to Vane after beating that sewer dragon thingy and hearing Ghaleon speaking for the first time in 1994.
He likely wasn't even a tickle in his daddy's scrote yet. Cut the kid a break. Being a college freshman is hard!
>>
>>2866734
The entire cast of SCD Lunar (IE four "actors") was composed of friends and family of WD with the exception of Ashley Angel, who was 12 at the time and it was his first gig.
None of them were trained VAs. For what it's worth, it's not so bad considering this fact. And still, being wowed as a twelve-year-old watching what, at the time, seemed like top notch graphics and animations never-before-seen in vidya, it's no wonder lots of people who actually owned Sega CDs back then are nostalgic about it.
But that's where it ends for me.
Replaying both Lunars as an adult has tarnished the games for me, but not the memories. Most of you chucklefucks never even knew anyone with a Sega CD back then, never mind played Lunar on one in the 90s.
>>
>>2867996
I bought a Sega CD back then mostly for games like Lunar and I still really like both of them. The voice acting certainly isn't great, but it doesn't bother me. It's the cultural jokes Vic liked to sprinkle through out that stick out the worst for me though.
>>
>>2868001
Ugh, I know, I know. Although I must admit, I found it amusing back then.

I'm let down by the on-a-leash gameplay, especially of Lunar II. Popful Mail is still my jam, especially since much of the jokes are simple absurdism and not necessarily dated ("And second, is there a Short-and-Squatty store around here or do you go in for the tailored thing? Actually, answer that first. I'd /really/ like to know!" and "He actually likes Slick? I do hope the poor lad isn't retarded."), and though far more on-a-leash than Lunar but less so than Lunar II, Vay holds a special place for me (and my brother).
See, whenever we tell each other about what's going on recently, we paraphrase the opening from Vay in mimicry of Otto's soliloquy:
>Looooong agooooooooooo, in a forgotten corner of the [insert place where thing happened here], a fierce [insert thing that happened here] so destructive, it [insert result of the thing that happened here]

We also quote The Critic to each other. And Marsupilami.
We're nerds.
>>
>>2868025
I actually hated it more back then than now, but it's still awful. When I first played it, it legitimately made me angry. Now I just think it's lame.

Lunar 2 is probably still my favorite of all the Sega CD RPGs. It is a bit linear, but I'm past the point where I want to visit every town on the world map before actually going with the story. I'm happy just getting to Dalton when I get there. It's made up for somewhat by the epilogue giving you the perfect excuse to go poke around the world at your leisure.

And overall I really like the characters and story progression in that game.
>>
Which version play for I and II?

Sega CD, PSX or PSP?
>>
>>2870759
Which ever one sounds the best to you.
>>
>>2870759
Sega Saturn.
>>
>>2870759
The Silver Star PSX remake is probably better than the original, and the story ends up slightly different. Didn't look at the PSP one, but a quick look says that people thought it was just easier without any real gameplay improvmenets.

Eternal Blue was pretty close to the original, although it seemed kind of dumbed down. It had new content, but some of the old stuff was cut too. I'm not sure how much it would irritate someone that hasn't played the original to compare it. They removed some areas and music, like the Star Dragon Tower theme. I personally preferred the original, even though I was looking forward to the remake.

They also removed this bizarre area, but it didn't change much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHUWwjKfed4
>>
>>2870759
I have a very strong preference for Lunar 2 on Sega CD. The remake changed a lot and not for the better. But, if it's your first time though it won't really matter because you won't be comparing.

Lunar 1 is less of a big deal, I still like the Sega CD version better but they're much closer.

The only one to really avoid is the GBA port which is truly awful.
>>
File: Pikachu Crying.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Crying.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>They will never re-release the Lunar Complete games on PSN.
>>
>>2871584
There's no reason you should want to give any more money to Vic Ireland anyways. Just download them and play on whatever you want. Sega CD is better anyways.
>>
>>2859232

YOU HAVE MADE A GRAVE MIS-CALCULATION ZOPHAR
>>
>>2860965

Both PS1 remakes have largely been ignored or at least walked back in favor of the SCD plot and gameplay aspects as the years have gone on. They're more or less unique versions of the game now.
>>
>>2867996

I would still listen to John Truitt fuck up lines all day.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.