[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good 3D license games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 14
File: ghost in the shell.jpg (73 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
ghost in the shell.jpg
73 KB, 640x634
Whenever the topic of license games comes up, it's all about 8- and 16-bit games and I've been wondering if there is actually good stuff in 3D. Now 3D games as whole weren't exactly on top of their game back then and the big Japanese developers that made those beloved 2D games were largly busy doing there own thing, but surely there's got to be something.

pic related is obviously great. A really competent shooter.
>>
I thought it was pretty meh gameplay-wise, but the cutscenes were great and I'm impressed that they got all the VA's from the movie back.
>>
The first GITS game is very enjoyable in a mindless fun kind of way. It's also a great companion to the first movie (more than I can say about the SAC games)
>>
File: GITS.webm (3 MB, 1278x974) Image search: [Google]
GITS.webm
3 MB, 1278x974
>>2856660

I think the gameplay is anything but meh. I can understand it may not be for everyone, but it's unique, nothing like it.

It actually is one of my favorite PS1 games.

Also great techno soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gp8kgEco8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoiaFPJVKVo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fme-8Z56vwo
>>
File: fuchikoma.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fuchikoma.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
>>2856713

Fuchikomas are so cute
>>
File: Promotion.jpg (17 KB, 320x375) Image search: [Google]
Promotion.jpg
17 KB, 320x375
>>2856713
Retro meme in my retro game.

Based GITS.
>>
>>2856719
Stickers!
>>
This game was rad, it's like Mario 64 with laser shootin, and you can tackle all the goals at once without having to reload the level each time.
>>
>>2856719
They truly are. I'm not much of a buyfag, but I really want to track down as much Fuchikoma merch I can afford.
>>
File: xena-warrior-princess-usa.jpg (145 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
xena-warrior-princess-usa.jpg
145 KB, 600x602
I'm probably alone here, but the PS1 version of Xena (was it also on N64?) was a pretty decent action-adventure title. You can collect temporary power-ups to help you defeat your enemies, potions to restore your health, and permanent strength and defense power-ups that carry over into later stages. There are also hint scrolls scattered throughout every stage, and collecting them all unlocks an additional ending sequence.

Xena's maneuvering is unfortunately hard to master, and probably accounts for most of the game's difficulty, considering there are so many stages with narrow platforming sequences. There are also a few bullshit quests that will no doubt cause you to repeat certain stages dozens of times, such as "lead this dumb, weakling villager to safety without allowing them to walk into a horde of bloodthirsty pirates."

There's a bit of exploration if you want to go out of your way to find hidden power-ups and strength and defense increases, but the stages are otherwise pretty linear, except for an underground labyrinth you have to navigate early on.
>>
File: toystory2_6gr.jpg (34 KB, 620x440) Image search: [Google]
toystory2_6gr.jpg
34 KB, 620x440
>>2856760
also, that fucking moment when you see Buzz face reflected in first person view
mi inner child is still shitting bricks
>>
File: Small_Soldiers_PAL-Front.jpg (32 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
Small_Soldiers_PAL-Front.jpg
32 KB, 500x497
this motherfucker right here
Instead the "real world· the original film is set, the game takes place in Gorgon. You play the real Commando Elite bastards and Gorgonites beating their real asses up. 2deep4you when you are 9 years old
actually, the gameplay is fun as fuck
did i have to mention that sick as fuck pal cover art?
>>
File: GBC_front.jpg (35 KB, 428x422) Image search: [Google]
GBC_front.jpg
35 KB, 428x422
this and Chamber of the Secrets on GBC
probably the best western RPGs on the system
>>
>>2856956
>Help me my comrades!
Good times, my buddy had this game and we took turns playing.
>>
>>2856656
ghost in the muh dick
>>
>>2856942

Holy shit, that's pretty damn impressive, especially for a licensed movie game.
>>
File: asterix tgw.jpg (72 KB, 640x660) Image search: [Google]
asterix tgw.jpg
72 KB, 640x660
I have the feeling most people on this board were to old to care about license games during the 5th gen.

Anyway, Asterix on the PS1/PC is really enjoyable. Very reminiscent of Infogrames' North and South, but it has some 3D platforming stages that don't really control well. Makes it more frustrating than it should be.
>>
File: eva59034T.jpg (348 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
eva59034T.jpg
348 KB, 1280x1280
>>2858637
>I have the feeling most people on this board were to old to care about license games during the 5th gen.

Maybe, but it also has to do with companies like Sega, Capcom and Konami losing their licenses with Disney/Warner.

Most of the best licensed games were from those companies during the 3rd and early 4th gen. Nobody really cares about the LJN or HI-Tech licensed titles unironically that much.
>>
>>2856660
Konami tried to make a third person shooter with Gungage and it didn't work. I'm pretty happy it worked for GitS.
>>
>>2856760
>>2856942
My fucking nigga, I loved playing this game on the dreamcast.
>>
File: golden.jpg (377 KB, 1642x1200) Image search: [Google]
golden.jpg
377 KB, 1642x1200
I guess Bond's Mouth is the obvious example
>>
>>2856656
Pic unrelated, right? That had to be one of the shortest and easiest games I ever played. I would have forgiven it had there been incentives to replay it, but there are none.
>>
>>2861021

Don't play it for a few years and then play it again? Controlling the fuchikoma is satisfying, the music is great, and also the game has score, so ultimately you could try to beat your max score.
It also has a training mode which is more like a shooting gallery mode that exploits every gameplay mechanic in the game, did you get an S rank on there?

I think the lenght is alright, arcade-style shooting games don't tend to be longer than 1 or 2 hours.

Maybe you expected some kind of adventure game with a lot of story? The cutscenes in this game are just there to look at the pretty animation, the story is kind of like a small side story to the manga that isn't really that important, it's just there to justify some fuchikoma action.
>>
>>2861078
I guess was expecting too much then. An extra mode where you play as Batou or something would have been nice.
>>
File: Xseed presents pepsiman.jpg (939 KB, 1408x1056) Image search: [Google]
Xseed presents pepsiman.jpg
939 KB, 1408x1056
Pepsiman is probably one of the best shovelware games i've ever player.
>>
File: donald duck quack attack.jpg (35 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
donald duck quack attack.jpg
35 KB, 500x343
I know Americans don't like him, but it's a pretty good game. Best way to play Crash Bandicoot without owning a PS1.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.