[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>UNTESTED AS IS FOR REPAIR OR PARTS why is this allowed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: ebay-old-logo.jpg (25 KB, 560x240) Image search: [Google]
ebay-old-logo.jpg
25 KB, 560x240
>UNTESTED AS IS FOR REPAIR OR PARTS

why is this allowed
>>
>>2856156
>why is this allowed
For repair or parts, I would imagine.
>>
>>2856156
Would you rather them just throw it away when someone else might be able to use it?
>>
>>2856253
>>2856185
i mean, why are they allowed put up stuff that MIGHT work, i understand people stating its actually broken.
>>
>>2856301

so they can fix it or use it for parts?

why do you think people go to scrapyards?
>>
>buy game from garage sale
>don't have the console, don't test it
>sell it on Ebay anyway
>works fine
I must be a lucky bastard, done this like 5 times.
>>
>>2856301
Well, you could be clearer in the OP you know

UNTESTED is one thing, it may or may not work and I'm never ever guessing with my wallet thats for sure.

FOR REPAIR AND PARTS is legit and I don't think anyone's gonna argue otherwise.
>>
>>2856301
What's the difference between saying something doesn't work and it might work? They're just being honest. They found some weird console or something but don't want to bother testing it so whatever price someone wants to pay is cool.

I saw a box on somone's lawn a couple weeks back with 6 360s in various states, an og Xbox, 2 PS2s and a PS1. It was raining a little, I was on my way to work and couldn't be bothered doing anything with them but that's exactly the kind of thing I'd put up on ebay like this if I were so inclined. They're probably junk, but someone might be interested.
>>
I have bought numerous consoles with this description. I have fixed every one of them, except one model 2 Genesis.
This is a fantastic way to buy cheap, tinker as a hobby and resell it as repaired or to keep.
I don't understand what op has issue with...
>>
>>2856320
I just fucked up the wording, I'm really talking about people who throw up "untested" units , you check their other ads and they have the same system but complete.
It's just a little fishy to me
>>
File: 1423207577001.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1423207577001.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>2856312
>>2856316
>>2856156
I've posted stuff as untested.

Mostly because I found something in a lot, or from a storage locker or from a rental property and I didn't have a console anymore.

For awhile I didn't have a Gameboy Advance, and I found a bunch of GBA games. What am i supposed to do? I literally could not test them at the time and I wasn't going to go buy a GBA just to verify they worked. They looked clean, I posted pictures of the boards, I just had absolutely no way to test them at the time.

I get that for a lot of things "untested" means "I know it doesn't work" especially if its a console lot with all the appropriate hook ups, that should signal a red flag immediatley.
>>
>>2856331
I would just assume that if something is listed as untested that it's probably broken. So I bid according to that if I want some parts or something to play with. If it actually does work then that's a nice unexpected bonus.
>>
>>2856156
It's an easy way of getting around admitting something is "broken" or could be legitimiately untested. Just bid like the item is broken and you'll never go wrong. I got a Genesis Model 1 with controller and all the cables for $17 shipped because the seller said it was "untested". Got it home, powered on ok but would shut off if the console was bumped or moved. Opened it up, resoldered the power plug, console is as good as new.

Did the same thing with an Everdrive MD from eBay. Seller claimed it was broken, I got it anyway for $20 shipped. Got it home, noticed SD cards weren't being detected. Did 10 mins of research and realized the cart likely was running an early OS and would only detect non-SDHC cards. Popped in a low capacity old SD card, updated OS, now it works fine with any SD card.
>>
>>2856331
>two irons
aight niggas can be funny sometimes
>>
>>2856310
i've done that as well
>>
Because shits easy to repair if you aren't a retard. It's so easy to get things for nix from idiots who don't realize that it's something really stupid like a frayed wire or a bad cap
>>
OP has autism.
>>
>>2856301
>i mean, why are they allowed put up stuff that MIGHT work, i understand people stating its actually broken.

1. they might not have the ability to check if it works (no games, no controllers, no cables, no idea how are they supposed to work, etc)
2. it's trash for them, they just want it gone.

It is really very easy to imagine why someone would do that. Making sure that the stuff they want to sell works, would take a lot of research and money on their part, so instead they say they have no clue about it and sell it for a lower price.
>>
>>2856331
>I get that for a lot of things "untested" means "I know it doesn't work" especially if its a console lot with all the appropriate hook ups, that should signal a red flag immediatley.

I bought cheap "untested" stuff often before, and they usually ended up working after a quick cleaning. At worst, I had to switch out a part or two for it to work, or it was missing a power supply or something.

Basically I got what I paid for, and the only reason it was extremely worth it, was because I'm collecting that type of stuff - so I NEEDED those units for parts anyway.

Meaning that one mans trash is another mans treasure.
>>
>>2856156
Don't buy an item if you're not confident it will be functional. Only those who are too dumb to read take issue with this.
>>
>>2856301
Why shouldn't they? If they clearly state it's untested then I don't see the problem. If you wanna gamble and know how to fix stuff you can snag a bargin. If not, don't bid.

Not off ebay, but I got my 2600 dirt cheap and my mega cd for free cus the people I got them off didn't know if they worked.
>>
>>2856156
to scare faggots like you off so bros like me can pick up fully functioning sega saturns for 10 bucks
>>
>>2856156
It's the only reasonable way to buy a Game Gear.
>>
>>2856301
most people don't actually do this though. in fact I never see that, at least no one explicitly says "this may or may not work." they either say it's tested/works or does not work/for parts. if it does not state either then that's not a good sign, or the seller is just careless at making a listing
>>
I would be more willing to bid on those if they would post pictures of the motherboard or cart PCB or whatever. I figure with my luck I would end up buying what looks to be a repairable console only to open it up and find the seller has harvested every single component off the board to repair other consoles with. It's not like I would have a case either, it's clearly listed as non-functional.
>>
>>2861141
That's a good point. I was looking at virtual boys recently and all I saw was "for parts", but no mention if the thing just didn't work or if they had been harvested.
>>
>>2856301
What's the problem if they're being upfront about it?
>>
>>2856156

So I can buy them for parts to fix things

Don't take this away from me because you're too stupid to read the condition, fag
>>
>Will not post to [your rural area]
The worst kind of people.
>>
>>2861749
I don't ship outside of USA and Canada.

Too many possible things to go wrong. Chance of lost, stolen or damaged mail skyrockets when it goes over seas or to some shithole like Brazil.
>>
>>2856156
>>2856301
are you retarded?
>>
>>2861749
most shipment methods do not offer insurance for international shipping retardo
>>
File: screenshot.2015-12-17 19.33.19.png (670 B, 137x32) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.2015-12-17 19.33.19.png
670 B, 137x32
>How you want your ebay listing SENPAI?
>>
>>2856301
Are you dumb? Just assume it doesn't work if it says untested.
>>
>>2861826
>>2861767
I'm not referring to international shipping (It's a pain, it's reasonable to refuse to deal with it. I don't like buying internationally either.), I'm referring to sellers in the same country as you refusing to ship to certain regions of your country. In my case, this is the UK.

The Royal Mail ships to all parts of the UK at the same cost, yet some sellers refuse to ship to certain areas of the UK like Northern Ireland or Scottish Highlands.
>>
>>2856156

I don't feel like making a new thread, so I'll ask here

What is a good price for a Sega Saturn? I'm in the market for one and would prefer it to be pre-region modded and shit.
>>
>>2856301
Either because: They can't test it
or because at first glance it sounds better than 'definitely broken'

I always distrust 'might work!' stuff though, less than 'definitely fucked!'
>>
>>2856324
Agreed. Especially when they list for 90% of the price of a working item, where a broken one is going for 10%.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.