[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reccomend me obscure Playstation games,any genre is fine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15
Reccomend me obscure Playstation games,any genre is fine
>>
Incredible Crisis.
>>
File: rcdego.png (109 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
rcdego.png
109 KB, 320x240
RC de GO!, an excellent racing game.
>>
Super Bubble Pop. Mostly for the soundtrack
>>
Team Buddies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTtrJ7CFEFY
>>
Mad Panic Coaster, Paranoiascape, and Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu.
>>
The Divide: Enemies Within

I think a lot of people will love this top down metroidvania, but I'm struggling with it.
>>
Einhander
>>
>>2855142
This was my shit when I was a kid, could play it for hours.
>>
>>2854447
Space Griffon VF-9
>>
>>2855531
How the fuck is this obscure
>>
Hermie Hopperhead
>>
Not really obscure if you spend any time in the internet but LSD is a must play for everyone
>>
File: 1449803334081.png (866 KB, 900x602) Image search: [Google]
1449803334081.png
866 KB, 900x602
since this is the only playstation thread, what are the best PSX emulators on the PC?
please give pros and cons of each
ive been using ePSXe and its pretty basic but it gets the job done.
>>
>>2856370
mednafen if you're autistic
pcsx-r if you're used to epsxe
psx if you're lazy
>>
>>2856372
sounds good! But what if I'm slightly autistic but used to epsxe at the same time?
>>
In the Hunt
Punky Skunk
Kingsley's Adventure
Gekioh Shooting King
>>
>>2856405
Also Battle Hunter; especially if you have somebody to bro-op with
>>
>>2856370

ePSXe, PCSX-Reloaded and Xebra are your best bets. ePSXe is going to require a lot of plugin management though, and Xebra - although probably the most accurate choice - doesn't have a very intuitive interface.

pSX (that's actually what it's called) if your computer is over a decade old, but it's deprecated and numerous things are off in some games. (Some graphics don't load, menus might be offset, etc.)

Ignore the faggots who keep shilling for RetroArch and Mednafen. They've been at it for months.
>>
>>2856370
Mednafen,any other option is for plebs.
>>
>>2856372
>psx if you're lazy
No, just no. Using ePSXe on default settings or setting up bios for retroarch (all you need to to to get in running) isn't much harder but give much better compatibility.
Also, ePSXe is decent, I prefer it over pcsx-r because of fast forward feature and automatic separate memory card for every game. Coordinate accuracy isn't that good anyway because it produces holes in objects often.
>>
Some of these may not be entirely obscure, but I never seem them mentioned:

Chocobo's Dungeon 2 - A roguelike(-lite) with various references to the Final Fantasy series. Don't let the cutesy graphics and characters throw you off, though. This is a very challenging game with a lot of depth - equipment customization, farming for items, etc.

Crusaders of Might and Magic - I've never played any of the M&M strategy titles, but apparently this is a spin-off of the series. It's your typical action RPG fare. Third-person exploration, lots of freedom, experience level system, etc. Quite difficult. Probably one of the closest titles the PS1 got to Dark Souls.

If you like shmups, Viewpoint and Starfighter Sanvein are often overlooked. Starfighter Sanvein is difficult to sum up. Each stage consists of a small grid (sort of like a coliseum) where you have to shoot down enemy ships in a limited amount a time, then the game moves you into the next grid. It's very fast-paced.

RPG Maker - A toolkit for designing your own RPGs, which you then save to a memory card. Similar to the PC versions.

Gauntlet Legends - Probably not the best port of this game, but if you lack access to a DC or N64, it may be worth investing in.

Arcade's Greatest HIts: The Atari Collection 2 - Gauntlet, Paperboy, Millipede and a few other arcade classics on one collection. Lets you adjust difficulty levels and backup your high scores to a memory card. Probably has the best selection out of all the arcade shovelware that was ported to the PS1.

Centipede (3D) - A 3D rendition of Centipede with an actual story mode, and includes an emulated version of the arcade classic on the disc as well. The gameplay alternates between platforming and shooting sections. Quite fun, but cheap difficulty.
>>
>>2856437
>>2856452
I've uesd PCSX-R for a couple of minutes and I already like it! I'm applying very high graphical settings without any noticeable slowdown
The frames per second are limited at 30 tho for some reason. Even if I force them to 60 fraps says they are still 30 even if the emu's fps counter says 59.80

Is there any guide on how to configure this thing? Im using Pete's GL driver and cant find info about configuring this anywhere
>>
>>2856496
It's totally ok, it shows how often does screen get updated.
Also you should use Pete's OpenGL2 since it's better in every way.
>>
>>2856514
im actually using that, sorry for the misunderstanding
also i get very choppy sound in metal gear solid
any fix ?
I'd really like if pcsx-r configuration guides were easier to find...
>>
>>2856531
Try asking emulation thread in /vg/
>>
This game often get overlooked because it was fairly late, but I think it's the best of the series.
As for true obscurity - Runabout 2
>>
>>2856437
>don't listen to their shilling, listen to mine!
See how dumb this is?
>>
>>2856452
>just no
>proceeds to explain why anyway
Well meme'dl, friend.
>>
>>2856879
>lists several distinct competing emulators and lets the other Anon choose for themselves
>"B-but, you're shilling too! Hypocrite!"

I'm just tired of seeing you guys spam every thread that even remotely touches down on emulation. It's like you have some kind of keyword detection system setup, so anytime someone puts the word "emulation" in their post, you have to swoop in and hijack the thread into your personal advertising campaign.

Emulation General has already been turned into a containment for this sort of shit, so I suggest you keep it there.
>>
Wakusei Koukitai Little Cats
>>
File: little ralph.jpg (75 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
little ralph.jpg
75 KB, 640x640
>>2856437
>doesn't have a very intuitive interface
At least it has an interface. I can easily make my games run and they run well. My biggest problem is getting analog sticks to work.

pic related is one of the best platformers of all time. Not that obscure for a Japanese only game, but definitely not popular.
>>
Nekketsu Oyako
Zanac X Zanac
Everybody's Golf 2
>>
There's a pdf made last year from a really good thread, here's the link:

http://a.pomf.se/txooug.pdf
>>
>>2855265

I beat this recently. Did you like the ice stage?
>>
>>2862756
Thanks for posting that,the archive where it was uploaded months ago got taken down.
>>
Tail Concerto
>>
>>2862756
Is there a PS2 version of this?

Or any other system?
>>
File: PSOGL2_006.jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_006.jpg
18 KB, 300x225
panekit, you buid vehicles and do quests
>>
Legend of Dragoon
>>
>>2854447
Play Policenauts. Thank me later.
>>
>>2864642
This is an obscure recommendations thread, not an obvious avoidance thread.
>>
>>2864726
Which the the definitive way to play policenauts in English? The PC98 screens look sexy
>>
>>2865421
Except SegaCD version is the only translated one, unless you know jap.
>>
>>2865429
Oops, i meant PSX.
>>
File: gungage cover.jpg (82 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
gungage cover.jpg
82 KB, 640x640
Pal exclusive, so it's no surprise. And it's kindy clunky, since it's a FPS without analog sticks.
>>
File: 36552-Azure_Dreams_[U]-1.jpg (88 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
36552-Azure_Dreams_[U]-1.jpg
88 KB, 640x640
>>2854447
Azure Dreams. Japanese style roguelike (with all that entails) with light dating sim and city building elements, as well as a "pokemon" aspect to it. You find monster eggs in the tower, bring them back to town, and hatch them into monsters that belong to one of three elements, which beat each other in a rock-paper-scissors style cycle, at least when it comes to spells and taking damage from spells.

That being said, the monsters require careful management as they consume mana with every action they take, even just moving, and once they're out of mana they're unusable until you return to town with them. Speaking of, returning to town resets your characters level to 1 (though monsters retain the levels they gain), and starts you back at the first floor of the tower, which makes management of your monsters and items even more important.
>>
>>2862756
Why is Aconcagua in the place of Fire Woman Matoigumi?
>>
>>2866772
And if you do some shit you can get village bitches attention
>>
>>2866803
Hence the mention of "light dating sim elements".
>>
Guardians Crusade
Policenauts
LSD
>>
Monkey Hero is a Zelda-like of which I have fond memories.

Muppets Monster Adventure was a pretty expansive and strange licensed action game.
>>
Starfighter Sanvein. It recently saw a release on PSN, but I've been a fan for years. It's a quirky litle...shmup, I guess I would call it, wherein you're trying to clear stages as quickly as possible. Each hit you take reduces the time you have left, and when you have no time it's game over. The core mechanic of the game is powering up your ship via adjacent defeated stages. That is to say, if your current stage is adjacent to an already cleared stage, you get powered up, and this power up increases for each such stage.

You also have gun and ship parts from three different ships, so there's a little bit of customization in there too. It should be noted that each gun effects your momentum in unique ways when fired, so it's definitely something to keep in mind. If you're into very frantic, very fast paced games, then this is a pretty good one.
>>
>>2866776
There are a few mistakes and I don't know where the corrected version is.

>>2864232
Unfortunately, no, as far as I know. This list spawned from a thread where some anons decided to make such writeups about these obscure japanese games here on /vr/.
If by some chance such a thread can happen on /v/...
>>
Legend of Legaia
>>
>>2866927
>Starfighter Sanvein

I second this. I grabbed it several months back since it was $3 on eBay. It's pretty short, but the mechanics are innovative.

If you're into obscure shoot-'em-ups, there's a port of Viewpoint for PS1, which is an isometric shooter. I also enjoyed the 3D version of Centipede.
>>
File: lindacubeagainjscps1003uk2.png (452 KB, 750x325) Image search: [Google]
lindacubeagainjscps1003uk2.png
452 KB, 750x325
Translation when
>>
File: Xrgal.jpg (64 KB, 402x563) Image search: [Google]
Xrgal.jpg
64 KB, 402x563
here's a nice obscure ps1 starter pack

bishi bashi special- minigame collection
gaball screen- shoe flying simulator dedicated to Tetsuya Komuro
pepsiman- proto-temple run with 10/10 soundtrack
kula world/roll away- ball rolling mazes
cho aniki- infamous homoerotic shmup
LSD- the most well known obscure ps1 game, walking/"dream" simulator
Policenauts- Hideo kojima visual novel adventure with police astronauts. Has an english translation patch.
jumping flash 1/2- platforman'
net yaroze games- multiple games made for the ps1 dev console, isozone has compilation discs of them.
sexy parodius- konami's parodius but sexier
>>
mort the chicken its possibly the greatest game ever released
>>
Are there any comfy games for PSX where you can walk around small town, speak to people and do small side activities? Something like River City Ransom and Shenmue.
>>
for survival horror

...Iru!
Devilman
>>
File: 1450050377879.jpg (109 KB, 1050x682) Image search: [Google]
1450050377879.jpg
109 KB, 1050x682
>>2868328
>PSX
>>
>>2868421
I understood my mistake the second I posted it. I was reading about emulators and they all have PSX in the name, so I messed up.
Well, you can think of it as "games for PS1 and PS2".
>>
Dragon Valor
>>
Any way to play JP imported ps1 games on my Freemcboot'd ps2?
>>
>>2869356
http://ps2home.freeforums.net/thread/152/ps2psxe-downloads
>>
>>2868328
>>2868653

the PS2 has a couple Harvest Moon games on it.
>>
File: discworld.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
discworld.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
I recommend you try Discworld.

It was quite popular in the mid-90s, but hardly nobody ever talked about the game years later.

It's a humorous - no hilarious - point-and-click adventure and storywise it somewhat resembles a Monty Python film.

Here's a review about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWBOuDD_Bs
>>
>>2869486
That doesn't play imports, just backups. Seems like I'll just have to buy a jap ps1
>>
>>2862909
No, I got lost, went really low on health, stumbled into a boss, died to his second phase and didn't want to continue. I probably lost a good amount of progress.
>>
power shovel/diggerz :^)
>>
>>2855082
I came in here to suggest eat this game too.

It's tough but fun.
>>
>>2856452
>retroarch
pls leave
>>
>>2872994
I prefer RA fags to ePSXe fags any day of the week
>>
File: 1448524678087.jpg (12 KB, 320x337) Image search: [Google]
1448524678087.jpg
12 KB, 320x337
>>2864758
>>
>>2873156
>ePSXe fags

Those literally do not exist. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>2865421
its sad that no one has bothered to translate the PC98 version, cause it looks so much better than the janky looking ps1 and saturn versions
>>
>>2875496
PSX version looks like good old cell animation, which is great. PC98 looks great too.
>>
What is the best sound plugin for ePSXe?
I'm getting a ton of audio stutters on Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>2877334
mgs sucks on every emulator that isn't mednafen based
>>
>>2877338
Get out of here you shill
>>
>>2877343
He is right though,stop playing on broken emulators.
>>
Blitter Boy
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.