[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /MetalSlug/ here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (837 KB, 2600x3500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
837 KB, 2600x3500
who /MetalSlug/ here
>>
They look really neat. Where do I start with them?
>>
>>2853648
If you ask me I'd start with the first one. Not perfect, but it's simple enough with a fair amount of difficulty.
>>
>>2853637
One of my top favorite series.

>>2853648
1 is must play. 2 is obsoleted by X. X is 2 without the slowdown and some minor tweaks. 3 is the generally agreed upon pinnacle. 1 is my personal fave though.

1st Mission and 2nd Mission on NGPC are also worth playing.

AVOID EVERYTHING ELSE BECAUSE IT GETS REALLY BAD STARTING WITH 4.
>>
>>2853648
The first one is a decent starting point, but if you want to jump right into what the games are all about I'd say play X first. Then 2 and 3 are considered the golden classics of the series. Play beyond 3 only if you liked the series.

They're not terribly long games each. Pretty sure you can find all of them up to 4 online browser-based for free.
>>
>>2853660
In short:

>PLAY NO MATTER WHAT
1, X, 3

>PLAY IF YOU WANT A PORTABLE METAL SLUG OR JUST FEEL LIKE EMULATING NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
1st Mission, 2nd Mission

>MAYBE PLAY IF YOU'RE CURIOUS, BUT REALLY IT'S NOT NECESSARY

>DO NOT PLAY EVER
rest of them
>>
>>2853660
I'd say to still play 2 regardless of X tho. If you're looking out only for gameplay X is definitely above and beyond anything 2 offered, but at times it is way too crazy for me. 2 on the other hand was a little more sane and had a more coherent story.

Maybe I'm biased because I grew up with 2 as the only game of the series my local arcade had for a while until they got 3 and I was blown away.

5 wasn't that bad tbqh?
>>
>>2853665
2 literally only surpasses X in story. Otherwise it's like playing Super Street Fighter II when you have Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
>>
>>2853663
What's wrong with Advance?
>>
>>2853665
>5 wasn't that bad

Only in comparison to 4.
>>
>>2853670
>>2853665
>>2853660
>IT GETS REALLY BAD STARTING WITH 4

what happened after 3?
>>
>>2853668
Mediocre stage design, collecting bullshit, shit characters (to be fair the last one doesn't matter).

Not outright BAD, just "mediocre".

Still probably better than most run 'n' guns, but not up to Metal Slug's standards.
>>
I still don't like the alien sections of 3, and that section went on for too long. 2 is probably my favourite.
>>
>>2853671
I only played up to 4 but remember being disappointed at it for reusing older assets instead of creating new ones, and generally being shoddily put together and having such tangible lazy development compared the the previous ones.
>>
>>2853671
SNK went bankrupt.

The "SNK" that exists today is not the same company, just a company that acquired rights to the SNK brand name.

Metal Slug 4 was made during a transitional period before the current (well, I guess not "current" since it's owned by a chinese company now) neo-SNK gained/regained the rights to SNK IPs when they were owned by a kolean dev staffed full of hacks who couldn't design a decent arcade game without copy-pasting someone else's work if their lives depended on it (and even then they LITERALLY copy/pasted Metal Slug 4 using entirely reused graphics and assets from previous games and it STILL sucked).

After that even once the series was back in Japanese hands the original Metal Slug team was gone and no one else ever really quite got it right again.
>>
whats the best way to play this series outside of using meme
>>
>>2853679
Get an Arcade Machine. The games are also on Steam.
>>
>>2853674
>that section went on for too long

You mean the last level?

It was weird having the final level of the game be as long as all the other levels put together (or close to it).
>>
>>2853679
Metal Slug Anthology.
>>
>>2853660
>AVOID EVERYTHING ELSE BECAUSE IT GETS REALLY BAD STARTING WITH 4.
This is such bollocks though. 4 and 5 were still quality games just not quite on par with the earlier titles.
>>
>>2853637

>tfw you've played metal slug so much that you can get to the final missions without dying once

I miss Arcade games where skill meant spending less money. Now every arcade game is timed.
>>
>>2853637
CUM ON, BUOY!
>>
How can I play Metal Slug 6 on a PC?
Besides that crappy korean port in the collection version, I mean.
>>
*KA CHINK*

OKAY!
>>
>>2853780
Final Burn Alpha or Retroarch (which is just using FBA anyways)
>>
>>2853827
FBA runs Atomiswave games?
>>
File: kof95moveseng.jpg (2 MB, 4810x1427) Image search: [Google]
kof95moveseng.jpg
2 MB, 4810x1427
Metal slugs my favorite
Still waiting for the day when i can be bothered to pay for an mvs copy of 4

unrelated does anyone know if the move sets of returning characters from KOF 94 changes in 95

also if any of you have scans of the metal slug versions of these?
>>
>>2853780
>>2853827
>>2853930
I used demul to play MS6 and it ran like a champ.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.