[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some must play games for this thing? I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: gaemu gear.jpg (261 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
gaemu gear.jpg
261 KB, 1280x768
What are some must play games for this thing?
I've been in the mood to pick one up, but I don't really know what's good on it.
Also, how affordable are the games?
>>
>>2853227
I still have mine from years ago but only like one game. I'm going to sit in this thread and listen.
>>
>>2853227
>i've been in the mood to pick one up
make sure to buy several packs of batteries with it, shit burns through them like a hot knife through butter
>>
call me a child but the screen is blurry hard to see garbage and the thing sucks batteries like a hooker on a vaccuum

I really think you should stick to emulating
>>
>>2853236
>Screen is blurry hard to see garbage
Only with dying batteries.
>>
coca cola kid

no, srs
>>
uh oh, incoming flux of game gear posts. metal jesus did an episode about collecting them
>>
>>2853232
Isn't there some sort of charger for it? If not, I'll use rechargeable batteries.
>>2853240
Really? Didn't know, honestly. Will it solve my dalai lama?
>>
I wouldn't say anything in the GG library is a must-play, but there are some decent titles. Off the top of my head, I'd probably recommend:

Columns and Super Columns - Super Columns adds a few new features and has a pleasant Mediterranean aesthetic to it. Columns is more or less a straight-up port of the SMS version with different graphics.

Shining Force II: Sword of Hayja - There are numerous SF games for the GG, but this is the only one that was localized. The gameplay is mostly identical to the original SF for Genesis, except towns are entirely menu driven instead of consisting of explorable maps.

If you're into shoot-'em-ups, Fantasy Zone Gear, GG Aleste (Japan only) and Power Strike II (released outside of Japan) are probably the best the GG has to offer.

For RPGs, Dragon Crystal (also on SMS) and Defenders of Oasis are both good titles. Dragon Crystal is a roguelike-inspired RPG. It's by the same team that developed Fatal Labyrinth for Genesis, so there's a lot of overlap. Defenders of Oasis is a decent turn-based RPG that may be vaguely similar to Dragon Quest.

As for platformers, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Sonic: Triple Trouble, and both GG Shinobi games are typical fare. If you want something Zelda II-ish, also look into Ax Battler.
>>
>>2853256
You can plug a Genesis 2 power cord into a Game Gear without needing batteries.

Also, I hope you realize that Game Gears are time bombs. The capacitors go bad in them and need to get replaced. So try to find one that has already been recapped. Or be ready to do it yourself.
>>
>>2853312
How do I know if one already had the capacitor changed?
>>
>>2853316
The seller should know. If they say something like the screen is dim or the volume is low that means the caps need to get replaced.
>>
>>2853316

You may be better off investing in an aftermarket handheld. They're produced by shitty Chinese companies, but may in fact last longer than actual GG hardware would. All the games are built into the hardware itself, so there's no cartridge slot. Whatever games are included with the hardware is all you get.

I think one is called "Blaze Gear," but there should be numerous hardware clones out there. Just steer clear of the Genesis ones, because they have notoriously fucked up music.
>>
The Mickey Mouse games are fantastic platformers. Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion, and Legend of Illusion.
>>
Daily reminder that you can play Master System games on Game Gear with a relatively inexpensive adapter.
>>
>>2853452
Yeah but doesn't it cut the edges of the screen off?

>>2853227
Op it has an AC adapter and it's bloody required. I used to use the battery life as a kind of time trial back in the day. Can I beat sonic 1 before the batteries die? My speed record was about 27 minutes, so yes I could, just barely. Power cut during credits.

There are ones that come up on ebay listing that they've had their capacitors done or the screen replaced etc. Grab one of those.

Whilst you're at it grab:
Sonic 1, 2, chaos
Shinobi
Defenders of oasis
Micro machines
Streets of rage

Those are my personal favourites from what I owned/played.
>>
>>2853530
>Sonic 1, 2, chaos
Triple Trouble was easily the best Sonic game on the system. I think. Damn, it's been too long.
>>
>>2853452
Pretty much the only way to 100% clear Sonic 2, if you want that emerald in the second stage (if you ever managed to grab it on GG, you're fucking good; I gave up myself).
>>
>>2853227
i knew of a list, but i lost it.

I think there was a castelvania clone for it. Wonder boy, etc.

but besides gamegear games, u can get your hands on the master system adaptor and play master system games on the go with this brick!
>>
Tails' Adventure
Shinobi 2
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.