[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the earliest examples of 3D graphics in console
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Virtua_Racing_Deluxe_(32X)_09.png (10 KB, 638x384) Image search: [Google]
Virtua_Racing_Deluxe_(32X)_09.png
10 KB, 638x384
What are some of the earliest examples of 3D graphics in console gaming? Isometric graphics, prerendered sprites and mode-7 effects don't count. I mean full on 3D rendering with polygons.
>>
>>2853029
We had a thread like this a while ago.
>>
>>2853029
Star Cruiser.

Ranger X also had wireframe cutscenes, pretty awesome looking for such an old game (and without extra hardware).
>>
File: ChuckYeager-9.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
ChuckYeager-9.png
3 KB, 256x224
>>
>>2853051
So this is your shtick? Go around to every thread that had a duplicate one, now archived, and complain this thread existed two weeks ago even though it's not in the catalog?
>>
>>2853029
S E G A
E
G
A
>>
>>2853071
W E L C O
M E T O T
H E N E X
T L E V E L
>>
>>2853079
Alright you got me, that was pretty good. I think I'll stop shitting on threads for that. That's going in a notepad in my SEGA folder for later.

Take it easy gents, gg.
>>
>>2853071
while sega did perfect parallax occlusion mapping at the time, the snes was better at it there for it was first.
>>
>>2853181
????????
>>
>>2853187
you do have a point there, I think I'm understanding what you mean.

but your logic is flawed. AHHAHA you didn't see that coming.

Well you see heres what we need to understand here, the genesis may not of been able to master the ability of this 'parallax occlusion mapping' until 3 months AFTER the release of the snes, the GENESIS had it first therefor it is the best :)
>>
>>2853079
>>2853071
nice salt memes but I need to confiscate your hovigs

S A L T
A A
L L
T T
>>
>>2853062

I doubt this is even a real screenshot, the resolution of the shot looks not only small but unproportional to CRTs at the time.

>256x224p, haha nice try
>>
>>2853193
It was supposed to be complaining about SEGA threads, but you were good Snake, too good.
>>
File: BigHead.jpg (29 KB, 435x530) Image search: [Google]
BigHead.jpg
29 KB, 435x530
>>2853068
>now archived, and complain this thread existed two weeks ago even though it's not in the catalog?

I don't understand what shtick is but yeah I just had a question and its a genuine one too
>>
>>2853206
haha I'm trying to bash sega games while promoting Metal gear, which was a sega game!
>>
>>2853029
How did you get this thing widescreen?
>>
>>2853201
It's unreleased simulator for the NES.
>>
>>2853059
>Ranger X also had wireframe cutscenes, pretty awesome looking for such an old game (and without extra hardware).
Wireframes aren't actually expensive to produce. The only problem is hardware - NES-like tile hardware doesn't allow to access directly to pixels, so you'd need much power to overcome this.
>>
File: MD_Road_Rash.png (8 KB, 320x225) Image search: [Google]
MD_Road_Rash.png
8 KB, 320x225
Road Rash uses polygons to draw the street.
>>
>>2853781
so you just agreed with what he said, then
>>
I remembered reading somewhere about one of the very, very first and forgotten 3D games - it was for computer, and it was all green lines. I can't remember shit about it and I can't even google it.

So yeah, Virtua Racing. Alone in the Dark too, I guess.
>>
>>2853848
I haven't noticed it's polygons before your post. Lines are so smooth.
>>
>>2853201
Do you believe DOS gaming was active in the era of 16:10 monitors?
>>
>>2853894
http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/#proj3d
More info on it
>>
Hard Drivin and LHX Attack Chopper
>>
>>2853938
So it's not polygons at all.
>>
>>2853952
Hm, yes, it is.
>>
>>2853964
"Polygon" means an arbitrary (except possibly restricted to be convex) shape made of vertices and straight lines. This technique can only produce very limited shapes, so it is not polygons.
>>
Days of Thunder for NES renders speedway with perfectly round corners and banking at 60 fps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbgxK4fOnOo
I wonder if calculations is somehow baked in ROM because camera travels only in predefined path.
>>
>>2853892

Alpha Waves (1990)
>>
>>2853029
M1 Abrams Battle Tank
>>
File: f22 genesis.webm (2 MB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
f22 genesis.webm
2 MB, 638x434
Those flight sims on Genesis pretty much cover this, also Steel Talons and >>2854054
>>
>>2853892
Cholo maybe.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.