[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spyro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15
No one seems to discuss this series anymore. There are admittedly few retro games to discuss, but Spyro was nonetheless popular name during the fifth generation.

So, which game from the original trilogy was your favorite?
>>
It's one of the few series that I like to play all of them. Minus the abortions on later consoles.
>>
>>2852589
>No one seems to discuss this series anymore.
Because it's typical 90s big-eyed animal mascot shit, no different than Bubsy or Gex.
>>
>>2852589
There's nothing to discuss.

The first three Spyro games, especially Spyro 1, are masterpieces.

>>2852601
Go back to fucking /b/. Jesus Christ what is going on with these fucking /b/ shitposters.
>>
>>2852589
3 was my favorite for a long time, then I went back and replayed it and realized that I was biased by nostalgia a bit. It would still probably be my favorite though, even if I replayed 1 and 2.
>>
>>2852589
The autistic sonic alternative.
>>
>>2852642
>>>/b/

Seriously, leave.
>>
>>2852601
>>2852642
Why do you shits post here? Just fuck off back to /v/ or wherever you came from.
>>
>>2852664
Not to talk about muh favorite mascot marketing for children during muh favorite generation.
>>
>>2852654
>>2852620
>>2852664
Quality counterarguments. xd
>>
>>2852589

Because I've discussed them to death man. Crash 1-3 as well.

Both have a similar history. First 3 games are GOAT. Everything after is sadly trash.
>>
File: 1359945334506.gif (1 MB, 200x147) Image search: [Google]
1359945334506.gif
1 MB, 200x147
>>2852683

Stop. Shitposting.
>>
I'm quite fond of 3; my favorite location is the Evening Lake homeworld, especially with the Greatest Hits version of the background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-QU4XSo74
>>
>>2852620
>Jesus Christ what is going on with these fucking /b/ shitposters.

It's always like this in the weekends, no school so the kids who have no life come shitpost here.
>>
File: 16.png (251 KB, 629x429) Image search: [Google]
16.png
251 KB, 629x429
Missed the chance to play it as a kid, so I picked up all three games on the PS3 store because expensive game at least in my country.

I have yet to finish the third one, but so far I enjoyed it. Cool level design, good mechanics, maximum PS1 level of esoteric ambience supported by ethereal tunes. Flying bits sucked hard, though- thank god they at least got easier
with each installment.

Also, the secret area in Haunted Towers was crazy as fuck. Pic related.

I also guess this might be the only place to share this and someone would appreciate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfQmwzbVt_Q
>>
>>2852683

Enjoying high school?
>>
>>2852589
I played only the first so far, but more times.
Excellent game, I am actually hype for the sequels. I can't really find anything wrong with it.
>>
I feel like the death of games like this and Crash is that they decide to change anything. They think that people will get bored with the same mechanics or basic concept. Being completely truthfu Id love a Crash or Spyro game with the same mechanics on a newer system. Not really retro but did any of you guys play the crossover games? Where Crash and Spyro switch worlds?
>>
>>2854347
Yes, played the Spyro one, it's a decent platformer but nothing more.
>>
>>2853159
lol you troll them
>>
>>2852589
I was playing Spyro 3 the other day, it holds up surprisingly well.

I always found the first Spyro to be boring. I don't really know why. It just fells like a chore to play though.

Never played the second. I heard it's the best in the series so if it's as good as the third, I'm excited to play it.
>>
>>2852589
2 is my favorite, the power ups were great additions, swimming is fantastic and brings so much variety to the levels, the controls and camera got tightened up a bit, Autumn Plains is the comfiest and double jumping is one of the funnest glitches in any game and allows for all sorts of crazy shit. I was really disappointed it wasn't in 3 and even more disappointed when Insomniac repeated the mistake with Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3.
>>
>>2854347
Yeah, but I think the GBA games in both series were always crap and that one was nothing different
>>
>>2854621
I thought the Crash GBA games were alright
I admit that the GBA had better platformers but neither of them were awful.
>>
>>2854347
>Not really retro but did any of you guys play the crossover games
I did. They are both mini game collections and decent fun. The Crash version is better. Emulate it, it's not worth more than 5 bugs.

>>2854621
Nah, the 2D Crash platformers were decent and the isometric collectathon that were the Spyro games are... decent. Actually, the third Spyro game might actually good. I really like. It looks good, it sounds good, nice puzzles, a lot of stuff to find and those sidequests with the penguin and the monkey were really fun. The sidequest in the other two games were shit.
>>
File: 1445862753704.gif (1 MB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
1445862753704.gif
1 MB, 500x454
>>2853784
>lol it's funny because its blurry and the n64 is blurry XD XD XD
>>
>>2854628
>>2854680
Looking back i was probably just pissed that they were different from the console ones and relied a lot on minigames.

Plus i had no idea what the fuck was goimg on with all the characters in Spyro.
>>
>>2854925
looks more of both credits looking similar to me

not everything has to be about console blurriness, scanlines and framerates /vg/
>>
The first 3 Spyro games were great. The original was probably the most solid in its almost too sterile way, and the next couple were good for some extra gameplay variety. Not really fond of all annoying sidekick characters they've decided are needed for these kinds of games though. Sparx should never have been allowed to talk.

Everything after that was pretty trash.
>>
3 is the best. 2 feels unfinished
>>
>>2855439
Enjoy playing your bonus gimp characters.
>>
>>2855446
None of them are that bad except Bentley and you barely have to use them anyway.
>>
I like the first game the most. 2 and 3 turned into full-blown wacky animal mascot pandering and were really unoriginal compared to the first. They're still fun to play, but all the new characters and cliché themed levels they added felt really fucking awkward and out of place after the unique fantasy universe the first game set up. You go through all the unique realms of the original and then when you move onto the second game you just get shit like "Caveman world", "Tiki world", "Underwater world" etc, like some sort of educational cartoon ticking off a checklist of elementary school subjects to feature. It's a little disappointing.
>>
The most important collecathons were Banjo-Tooie and Mario 64

Tooie was the height of complexity the genre ever reached. You start the game with more abilities than most games have you end with and by the end you are by far the most complicated character in the genre. The huge variety of mini-games and gimmicks also cemented it as the collecthaton with the most stuff crammed into it. One could easily argue that the game went for quanity over quality. To that I would respond that quality over quantity is the very nature of a collecthon since it is about gathering a large quantity of trinkets that do very little.

What makes mario 64 worth mentioning is it's solid level flow. Since there is only really one thing to collect: stars you have an incredible amount of choices in what levels to do, what order to do them, and which tasks to complete. It never has those terrible moments where you need to spend forever tracking down some tiny trinket you forget to get or wondering where you go next. The levels themself are also fairly non-linear with there are always being at least 2 paths to most stars and dozens of micro-short cuts that clever usage of the various jumps can help you reach.

Over-all though the 3d were a bad design model. So even the best of the games were only mediocre.
>>
>>2855538
Agree with this, never realized why I love the world of the first one so much more. It just feels so much more unified, and 2 is kind of just a jumble of ideas. Never played 3 though.
>>
>>2856058
It could get away with being a jumble of ideas if most of the ideas weren't also trite.
>>
>>2856076
At least 2 tried to keep things fresh to varying degrees of success. 3 turned into an absolute joke with all the bullshit nonsense they shoehorned in there.

1 is probably the pinnacle in level design and ambiance, but 2 isn't bad either. 3 is actually bad despite what nostalgia-blind babbys think of it.
>>
>>2852589
Only the first game can hold up. 2&3 are full of retarded stuff, 3 is barely about Spyro anymore.
>>
>>2854504
>Never played the second
>I heard it's the best in the series
Fetchquest this. Fetchquest that. Fetchquest some more.
>>
You people need to chill the fuck out
All 3 are great games and the fact that they're pretty different from each other is refreshing considering all the rehash in the genre.
The music stays consistently amazing though.
>>
>>2856268
>All 3 are great games
None are great.
>they're pretty different from each other
The only difference is the increase of bullshit with each sequel.
>is refreshing considering all the rehash in the genre
Bullshit is never refreshing.
>The music stays consistently amazing though
Music quality drops like a dead body after the first game.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 1024x646) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 1024x646
>>2856281
Are you having a bad day?
>>
>>2856282
No, just replayed them getting fed up with modern Nintendo nonsense for years.
>>
>>2856281
Here we have the dark side or /vr/. Understandably, this board attracts jaded fucks from /v/, and then they come here and think that calling a game "bullshit" is acceptable.
Maybe r/retrogames is a more fitting place for you.
>>
>>2856347
acceptable criticism*
>>
>>2856347
The fetchquests in 2 and 3 are pure padding and intrusive garbage with no value whatsoever. 3 takes the cake by removing Spyro from much of the game.
>>
>>2856354
What fetch quests exactly? Getting the orbs and gems? The first one does exactly the same.
>3 takes the cake by removing Spyro from much of the game
Go replay 3. It's like 5 levels where you don't use Sypro at all, and like 3 short mini games with each animal; most of which are pretty fun.
>>
>>2856361
>What fetch quests exactly?
Getting the orbs. This kind of nonsense has slowly started to plague everything.
>>
>>2856365
Damn, you're really fucking stupid if you think getting the orbs is a fetch quest
>>
>>2856268
>Cliche, cartoon caricature-filled games an with identity crisis
>Refreshing

Nah. The mechanical differences, sure, but the themes become absolute arse after the first game.
>>
>>2856558
>Implying the amazing music by Copeland, the unique color schemes and art design and the smooth control make the Spyro games anything less than masterpieces
I don't know what you're so asshurt by Spyro, but you need to fuck off.
>>
>>2856518
You're completely braindevastated if you think the requirements for getting the orbs aren't fetch quests.
>>
File: Skelos Badlands.jpg (260 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
Skelos Badlands.jpg
260 KB, 670x377
>>2856564
>unique color schemes and art design
>CAVEMAN WORLD
>>
>>2856598
They literally aren't
Go play the games
>>2856603
Give me another "caveman" with a level as good as the Skelos Badlands.
>>
File: trouble.png (28 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
trouble.png
28 KB, 140x140
>>
File: save Breeze Harbor.png (154 KB, 410x655) Image search: [Google]
save Breeze Harbor.png
154 KB, 410x655
>>2856830
Came here to post Fisher aswell.
>>
>>2856598
>Timed flight challenges
>Spitting tutorial
>Gliding tutorial
>Exploration reward
>Door puzzle
>Climb reward that acts as a hook to get you to go back to summer forest after you learn to climb
>Solve some (easy) puzzles
>Complete a super charge circuit
>Hockey mini-games
>Statue hunt (I admit this one was a little fetch questy)
>Gliding challenges
>That tedious one with the generators which was shit but not a fetch quest
>Knock the turtles away from the soup
>Superflame tutorial (again I admit this one was a little fetch questy)
>Fly through the rings
>Swimming challenges
>Flying race with Hunter

There are only 2 orb challenges that I'd call fetchquests in the whole of the first hub.
Can you explain why you think the orb challenges are fetch quests?
>>
>>2857662
>almost all of those are awful and idiotic to play through
>>
>>2858091

What is not "awful and idiotic" for you to play through?
>>
>>2858091
Well they're not fetch quests, why did you spend half the thread insisting they were?
>>
Welp, this thread became a bitchfest...
>>
File: jeff-bridges-800.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
jeff-bridges-800.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
>>2858638
Such is life on a board full of man-babies and nostalgia-fags.
>>
I loved the first one when I was six, and I played and enjoyed the second one (called Gateway to Glimmer here in Australia) when I was seven.
I never played another one until my little brother's copy of "The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning" in 14, which also wasn't bad.
First one will always be the best as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: misogyny.png (928 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
misogyny.png
928 KB, 1280x720
>>2852589
this thread made me want to play and did make me play spyro. thank you. i never look at the thread but when I saw the thumbnail of the spyro box art i immediately remembered this game and wanted to play.
here a screen shot from my playthrough.
>>
>>2862534
btw i can't find the key in that level for the well. does anybody know?
>>
>>2862536
Go to the area with the Return Home portal and pay attention to the ambient sound, especially close to the portal. Hopefully that's enough of a clue without giving it away completely.
>>
File: mooning.png (388 KB, 1022x640) Image search: [Google]
mooning.png
388 KB, 1022x640
>>2858638
>>
>>2856836

Trouble with the trolley, eh?

Over.

And over.

And over.

Anyone ever do the glitch in Breeze Harbor that allows you to swim throughout the entire level? There's no vertical boundary so you can swim upwards for as long as you want, with the actual level getting smaller and smaller until you are suspended in nothing with just the flat background image in all directions. After a certain height, the game freezes when you try to come back down. I bet Ulillillia loves that glitch.
>>
Why is 2 considered the best? I thought it was the worst one out of the trilogy.
>>
>>2863185
It refined the gameplay of the original, without adding extra characters like the third. One felt unpolished, but three felt like it was trying to do too many things in the same game. There's even an FPS section, which felt out of place.

Two was the most solid in terms of gameplay, is what I'm saying.
>>
>>2863358
I agree with that.
I don't know if that makes it the best one, but I think it certainly has (or doesn't have) things that the other two do.

Honestly 3 is my favourite, I actually enjoyed most of the new character sections and minigames they added. They weren't perfect but they didn't take away anything from the game for me.

Agent 9 is certainly the worst gameplay wise though.
>>
>>2862561

thank you!
>>
>>2862534
This.

/vr/ needs fewer people bitching about games. Literally people will stand by their opinions to the fucking death on this board. It's not to say that posting a negative opinion on 4chan is wrong or objectionable, but when every thread literally becomes 'this game is shit because x' you have to wonder if the people who don't like that shit even like video games to begin with.

/vr/ needs more people who actually play and enjoy video games, and fewer pseudo-hipster video game 'elitists' who feel hardcore because their taste in mindless entertainment is somehow better.

But that's not gonna happen.

Thanks spyro thread for reminding me that /vg/ at least actually has some fucking discussion.
>>
>>2852589
I loved the games when I was younger but they feel a bit simple for me these days.
>>
1 was great, but there wasn't as much variety in gameplay as there was in 2 and 3.

3 was a little bit too careless with its addition of new characters and minigames - and it felt like the developers put less effort into experimenting with what sort of stuff they could do with platforming and exploration.

2 I really liked, it felt like a happy medium between the two. But that may be nostalgia goggles, I have great memories of 100%ing it with one of my close friends when I was younger.

One thing I loved about all 3 are the bonus worlds you can explore after beating each respective game. Rad as fuck.
>>
Spyro the dragon 1 was the first game I ever saw and played, before this I didn't even know video games existed so it was a huge eye opener to me and its became a sort of tradition to replay the first game ever year and I still think its really dreamy relaxing experiance I love it.
>>
How would a new Spyro game being announced make you feel?
>>
>>2864543
Surprised, I thought he was stuck in Skylander hell forever.
>>
File: 1445456973260.png (393 KB, 588x588) Image search: [Google]
1445456973260.png
393 KB, 588x588
I think 1 was the best just from the ambience and world design alone even if it didn't have a lot of the extra features the other two had.
I enjoyed that to get 100% you needed to explore the level properly, take blind leaps of faith, and how levels had a lot of hidden parts even though it guides you linearly.

The second and third one I hold to high regard as well, I can't blame them for trying out new things especially as the games were an annual release. Each game is rather distinct from the last in its own way, but I do think they bit off more than they could chew with the third one (it being pretty buggy for example). But at least they actually tried some variation in introducing new characters to swap out as and some different minigame mechanics to freshen it up.
>>
File: 1450219421865.gif (647 KB, 204x171) Image search: [Google]
1450219421865.gif
647 KB, 204x171
Also is there a way to decompile or obtain a collection of the assets from the game?
I remember that Spyro uses dark voodoo magic for the skyboxes and such (The skybox being one model and no textures, it is textured per vertex)
There are 'HD' renders of the skyboxes posted every now and then, and I'm sure it was made by someone who browses the chans who decompiled it IIRC.

Reason I ask is I want to have a go at recreating some of the assets from the first game in high poly (namely keep my gamedev skills fresh), and it's a pain in the ass to get decent reference shots from ingame & from low quality youtube videos.
>>
>>2856159

>3 is actually bad despite what nostalgia-blind babbys think of it.

It's better than 2 because it actually gives you extra playable characters instead of arbitrarily blocking 100% progress through moneybag's move bullshit. Plus the levels themselves are better, 2 has jack shit in terms of memorable levels.
>>
>>2854925

There's dank memes going both ways when discussing the PS1 vs N64 in terms of graphics, get over it.

> Le pixelated textures
> Le blurry textures
> Le melty polygons
> Le huge polygons
> Le loading times
> Le cartridge data storage

They're so vastly different in what they do right and what they do wrong in terms of graphics, that it all comes down to personal preference.
>>
>>2864814

Just emulate the games with EPSXE or PCSX in high resolution if you have to do that.

It's always better to make your own sketches and model from those, though.
>>
File: Thingken-of-fast.gif (3 MB, 264x313) Image search: [Google]
Thingken-of-fast.gif
3 MB, 264x313
>>2864543

"What about Crash Bandicoot?" is how I'd feel.
>>
>>2863438
>but they feel a bit simple for me these days.
That's probably one of the games' most appealing factors for me in all honesty.
>>
>>2863438

A good platformer is simple in its gameplay and controls, while the environment should give the variety and challenge.
>>
2 was the only one I had and it was awesome
>>
>>2854925
Disgusting iFunny meme
>>
>>2866174
Get the others, it's never too late
>>
I've played the second and third a bunch of times over the years, but never had a chance to get into the first one. The last time I tried I gave up shortly after the second homeworld, but I started afresh a few days ago and finished it today.

They're all good fun, would recommend.
>>
i played 3 a lot as a kid but never played 1 or 2 until recently from the ps3 store. ended up hating 1 because it felt kinda boring and loving 2 even more than 3 which i had mad nostalgia for. 2 felt like a good blend between 1 and 3 and had the best homeworlds of all 3 games (autumn plains is really something special). ill have to replay them all in order again to jog my memory but 1 was really forgettable apart from me dying a thousand times on the treetops level
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.