[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C&C and Red Alert
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Command_&_Conquer_1995_cover.jpg (22 KB, 288x346) Image search: [Google]
Command_&_Conquer_1995_cover.jpg
22 KB, 288x346
Which installation is the best?

Is it pic related?
>>
red alert 2. Its the best of all worlds.
>>
>>2852085
Tiberian Sun IMO
>>
>>2852085
Red Alert is overall better but for some reason I always preferred C&Cs campaign. Both great games so you can't go wrong playing either one.
>>
TIBERIAN SUN
>>
>>2852085
They are all awesome, really. Except C&C4, which was a management mishap.
>>
>>2852091
>>2852253
Tiberian Sun is hella broken but so fun.
>>
>>2852287
What's broken about it?
>>
http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/

http://www.openra.net/
>>
>>2852290
NOD is incredibly overpowered compared to the GDI.
>>
>>2852302
I fell for engineer drill rushes constantly. You can only wall off so much.

Also NOD artillery was brutal.
>>
File: 250px-TSFirestormbox.jpg (33 KB, 250x284) Image search: [Google]
250px-TSFirestormbox.jpg
33 KB, 250x284
Could it be anything else?
>>
>>2852302
Huh, never really noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOWw2Iu2a4M

One of the best scenes in the series.
>>
File: Kanetakescommand.png (40 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Kanetakescommand.png
40 KB, 640x400
>>2852314
What did he mean by that
>>
>>2852085
I actually enjoyed RA3. wasn't big on RA2 at all, imbalance was a thing. the first is still my personal favorite though.
>>
>>2852362
>I actually enjoyed RA3
Me too, I thought I was the only one honestly. The campaigns were really fun.
Prepare yourself, liking RA3 = massive incoming shitstorm in our direction
>>
File: 1401551393456.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1401551393456.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>tfw playing c&c for n64 without any of that corny cutscene-goodness
>>
>>2852390
How was that port? I have the Saturn version and it's fantastic. Only downside being no multiplayer and zero mouse support. Other than that, I thought it looked/played just as good as PC.
>>
>>2852407
Polygonal graphics + chiptune renditions of the original tracks.

It was very different but still pretty cool. A variation on the theme basically.
>>
>>2852369
I liked it too. The biggest problem for me was the nerfed as fuck economy. You spend 90% of multiplayer matches defending your harvesters, and you can barely build enough units for them to matter.

Some of the missions were great, it's a shame there were so few of them. Older games had 13-14 missions for two sides, this one had 6-7 for three sides.

That, and they did not include multiplayer in Uprising. That one was a massive fuckup. It could've been so much fun, with all the broken units they included.
>>
>>2852302
>NOD is incredibly overpowered compared to the GDI.

Their only overpowered unit is the Artillery and the Obelisk. But you can counter both with bombers, which do tremendous damage.

Yes, they have underground units, but you only need to wall your MCV and build a detection sensor and you'll see them coming all the time.
>>
>>2852302
Kinda justly so.
>play GDI campaign in TD
just spam medium tanks to win
>play NOD campaign in TD
have to use combined arms which are comparatively shit, end up stealing a GDI factory and building medium tanks anyway
>>
>>2852435
>>2852305
FUG artillery. Especially in the mission where you have to protect the Kodiak.
Also it feels really weird watching Nod cutscenes. All that stuff about terrorist social networks and daily beheading vids have actually become real. What the fuck man.
>>
>>2852091
>>2852253
Fuck right off.

>>2852251
This. C&C campaign was more fun and challenging
>>
>>2852743
TD is literally an easy game, especially with GDI. You can finish it in your first sitting in like a few hours. I think a lot of the challenge came back in the day because the format was relatively new (you only had Dune 2 as a major RTS game) so people were still coming around to control this thing.
>>
>>2852085
Everything but Red Alert 3 and Tib Twilight

they royally fucked over the series
>>
>>2852743
>2 people say what games they like best, without any denigration of others
>replies with an insult
>>>/v/
>>
I kind of don't like the Nod Campaign. Too many "starting unit" missions (where you don't have a base), too many capture-base missions, too many missions where the GDI attacks are easy to shrug off. But you also have to deal with the air strikes and Orcas... feh. Those are just pesky to work around without actually being a threat.

Nod campagin:
Missions 1-4: standard easy+simple missions
Mission 5: first serious base mission with vehicles. It's okay.
Mission 6: starting unit mission
Mission 7: an okay base mission OR starting unit mission
Mission 8: capture GDI base with starting units. Annoying humvee spam for some reason on this map.
Mission 9: find your yard + capture GDI refinery. Stupid easy base mission.
Mission 10: starting units mission
Mission 11: AGAIN find your yard + capture GDI refinery. Infamous GDI gunboat. Stupid easy afterwards.
Mission 12: have to deal with 2 Mammoth Tanks using light vehicles before you can even get your MCV across the bridge
Mission 13: standard final mission
>>
>>2852850
Meant to say, the "Nod Campaign in Tiberium Dawn".
>>
>>2852747
The main challenge of TD is that you have to keep killing massive amounts of units; as such, it's mostly about massing units and making sure you have enough of them (or Engineer APC cheese, of course) to destroy the CPU's production and prevent him from rebuilding the barracks/factories instantly.

Also I guess you can get stumped if you somehow overdo it with grenadiers/flamethrower guys and have them kill each other. Took me a while to figure out.

I could never get any efficiency in the final stats and I never knew how they are calculated.
>>
>>2852659
>All that stuff about terrorist social networks and daily beheading vids have actually become real. What the fuck man.

Westwood was truly ahead of their time.

They also made the first mmorpg, if memory serves right.
>>
Red Alert 2, of course.

https://youtu.be/EJ6sNuXUErc
>>
>>2852743
and then the Covert Operations mission pack for C&C 1

its just weird all the little things missing, like you cant even order 5 men to enter the APC at once, gotta send 1 by 1, kekeke
>>
>>2852889
First MMORPG was MUD, friend
>>
>>2852889
which mmorpg would that be?
lands of lore is from around ultima online time, so neither are the first GRAPHICAL mmorpg on the INTERNET, so MUDs arent as well
>>
>>2852314
That scene was so satisfying. Fuck Seth. Fucking asshole sending you on a suicide mission with faulty intel right before that scene.

Actually, do modern games still do that? Have characters feeding the player faulty intel and then let the player figure out how to solve the problem himself?
>>2852747
Given that a lot of its missions are basically trial and error... No. And if you're playing Nod and don't know how to abuse the AI to divert A-10 strikes, well, good luck.
Sure, once you know how to do a mission, it becomes easy. But getting there will require a substantial time investment and a fairly respectable restart rate.
>>2852943
Covert operations was fantastic. Not a single bad mission in there.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.