[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /vr/, can we talk about the greatest action game ever made?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151212_130107.jpg (72 KB, 491x336) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_130107.jpg
72 KB, 491x336
Sup /vr/, can we talk about the greatest action game ever made?
>>
File: Shadow_Dancer_MD_cover.png (315 KB, 333x467) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_Dancer_MD_cover.png
315 KB, 333x467
That's a platformer, this is an action game.
>>
>>2850091
>>2850103
ANOTHER SEGA THREAD?
>>
Just saying OP, the Revenge of Shinobi brigade's gonna arrive and they won't cut you slack.

People should check out the Enhancement Hack for III: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/827/
>>
>>2850103
Whatever the fuck it is, it's the best.

>>2850112
Let'em come. You can't even run in that game, doesn't hold a candle to 3.

The soundtrack is god tier. The fighting and bosses are friggin awesome. Level design is top-notch. Tight ass muhfuggin controls. What could be better?
>>
>>2850214
>What could be better?
The challenge, the level design, changing the shitty auto-scroll levels etc.
>>
>>2850214
I like all Shinobi games but on the Genesis this right here is FACT:
S3> SD> Revenge

Revenge is still a fun game and very worth playing but it mostly gets by with its over the top god tier cheese bosses.
>>
>>2850214
>shinobi 3
>the best

it's not even the best in the series.

Revenge is better.
>>
>>2850231
>Revenge is still a fun game and very worth playing but it mostly gets by with its over the top god tier cheese bosses.
wrong. revenge is all about amazing level design, amazing music, and excellent gameplay.

>I like all Shinobi games but on the Genesis this right here is FACT:
Shut the fuck up. Do you even know what "fact" means? Don't throw that word around you filthy twit.
>>
>>2850279
It's all for fun m8. We are talking about 25-30yr old games on an chinese origami message board. You can disagree. Everything is going to be OK. It's not your fault, man. It's not your fault.
>>
I love every Shinobi game but 3 is the king in my book. I love dashing and then slashing an enemy. So satisfying. The music is definitely better in Revenge though.
>>
>>2850470
So your favorite is the casual Shinobi then.
>>
I like III and Revenge equally. I wish III was more difficult, though.

Great games, some of my favorites. The Game Gear games are excellent too.
>>
>>2850228
>changing the shitty auto-scroll levels
HOLY
SHIT
JUST
HOLY SHIT

HOW CAN YOU BE SO PLEB
>horseback stage fighting ninjas flying on kites and running hot on your heels
>badass surfing stage where you fight flying robots on a jetboard
>vertically scrolling cliff stage where you ninja jump all around on falling rocks as you fight flying foes
YOU HAVE SHIT TASTE
>>
>>2851325
muh aesthetics
>>
>>2851325
The cliff one is good because it has actual platforming. The others are shitty style over substance sections.
>>
>>2851745
Fuck off, fàm. Surfing Ninja fighting Appleseed landmate bosses is mad fun.
>>
The 3DS Shinobi is legitimately the best Shinobi ever made.

Its massively inspired by 3. Dev team was hand picked by Sega, they got people who love and understand the original games.

Its better than 3. Play it.
>>
>>2852050
>3DS Shinobi
Not retro, faggot.
>>
>>2852050
Get off the board. You're probably the one shitposting in the Sega threads.
>>
>>2850106
Sega is the Microsoft of retro gaming.
>>
>>2850106
>>2852605
Sega isn't shilled on /vr/ like /v/'s Microsoft problem, seriously don't you have something better to do?
>>
File: shinobix.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shinobix.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
I like Legions, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here
>>
>>2852629
I like Legions also. Not my favorite but it did a lot of things right. Batting back ninja stars and cutting enemies in half was tits! The live action cutscenes were fantastic in a so bad it's good kind of way.
>>
>>2852050
I'm not sure if I'd say it's truly the best one, but it certainly has a lot going for it. It's a great game and it's sad it's been overlooked. It could really use a sequel to iron out some problems.
>>
>>2852637
>The live action cutscenes were fantastic in a so bad it's good kind of way

Compared against most other live action cut scenes at the time, I thought they were pretty good.
>>
>>2851325
>calls someone a pleb who is more interested in game play challenge
>Only talks about aesthetics.

Bad news chief, you're the fucking pleb.
>>
>>2853736
A couple flaws in your "logic"
1. The levels present varied gameplay challenges based on the descriptions given
2. They were descriptions of said levels in question, not actual comments on the aesthetics
3. The poster responded to specifically mentioned challenge and auto-scrolling levels as separate entities in his complaints

Sorry, but eat a dick! You're an idiot.
>>
>>2853774
the autoscrollers serve the function of acting as a bonus level, you can get a couple one ups in them
>>
>>2850091

Objectively true

Goddamn, though, this tame is for real fantastic. The player has so many options all the damn time.
>>
I am always conflicted about revenge vs 3.
They are both excellent, but 3 seems to be more about BLAST PROCESSING. Also sometimes with weaker level design.
On the other hand revenge sometimes is plain frustrating
>that fucking jump in NY
>>
>>2854258
>sometimes is plain frustrating
with proper use of jitsus nothing is frustrating. revenge is practically a perfect game.
>>
File: ac1[1].jpg (26 KB, 313x263) Image search: [Google]
ac1[1].jpg
26 KB, 313x263
>>2852616
>shill
>>
Sometimes I feel like the only person on /vr/ who enjoys all the Shinobi games. It's a shame, because they each bring something great to the table.
>>
>>2854258
Funny, the first time i beat Revenge i didn't even notice that jump. After seeing people bitching about it i realized it was kinda difficult too.

Also, it's just me or the original revision (batman/gozilla/rambo) has clunkier controls than the later censored revision?
>>
>>2854903
I honestly have never seen anyone in a Shinobi thread say they didn't "like" a Shinobi game. They're all fantastic in their own way. People just like certain ones over the others.
>>
>>2854903
I've played 3 a lot but never completed it, yet still enjoy it immensely. Kid me didn't like the first Shinobi game on MD (couldn't master the double jump timing well) but played the shit out of Shinobi 2 on GG (under my bed sheets, faking I went to sleep).
>>
>>2854903
I love them all, even the Saturn one. The PS2 one and Nightshade are great too.
>>
>>2855035
Who the heck's Lampshade?
>>
>>2855042
A spin off I guess. It's sort of a sequel to the PS2 Shinobi. Pretty good game too.
>>
>>2855035
I keep forgetting to pick up the PS2 game and Nightshade. Same with the 3DS version.
>>
>>2855149
>Same with the 3DS version.
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinnion but I think the 3DS version is pretty underwhelming. The stages being so long and having those horse riding and car riding (etc) segments where you're locked in place and having to wait out that the sequence ends doesn't really help.
>>
>>2855939
I have yet to play it, and the extremely low price since it was among the launch titles makes it so even if the game is less than stellar, I will not feel cheated by any means.

Still, I appreciate the forewarning in your opinion, friend Anon!
>>
>>2850091
3's pretty fun, but I haven't played it nearly as much as I should have.
fucking love how cool that boss looks

>>2850112
>tfw still haven't played Revenge yet
like, I've powered it on and physically played it
but I haven't really sat down with it for any extended period of time

>>2850103
Shadow Dancer is my favorite Genesis game out of all of them. Something about it just fucking clicks with me so well. All the stages are short and super tight, the music is pretty solid, the controls are spot on and when you die, you feel like you fucked up instead of the game doing something wrong.
It's a tad easy on defaults, but not too much so (and some of the later levels are still a pain in the dick, fuck the last two ninja rooms in stage 5). Crank the difficulty up once you clear it on the default and feel the heat, shit gets wonderfully intense.

nothing like that "even if I know what's coming up, I dunno if I'll be able to do it right" feeling, particularly when you know you can't blame the controls or anything, it's just you and what's ahead

biggest issue is how the game hands out lives like candy for no good reason
other issue is that the bosses all kind of suck
Like, every one of them, there's not a good boss in the game.

>>2851325
the horseback one is boring as fuck after doing it so much, particularly because it's mindnumbingly easy
the others are at least somewhat interesting

>>2852629
I've heard this is actually decent. Temped to pick it up.
>>
>>2850091
I wonder when this guy will continue this fucking video. He makes the best TAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNbzKlyUK4
>>
>>2850231
shit taste confirmed, fact, over and out
>>
>>2862617
10-4 good buddy this is Snow Dog traveling eastbound and down in my Jimmy! 5 by 5 I respect your opinion over and out!
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.