[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about FPS games on consoles and what should have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: controllers-header.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
controllers-header.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
Let's talk about FPS games on consoles and what should have been done about their default control schemes.

Firstly, Outtrigger did it the best.
>turn with the analog triggers with actual acceleration
>walk with D-pad
>freelook with analog stick
>shoot with A
>jump with B

I think FPS games on N64 would have benefited from using L and R to turn even though they are digital. Disregarding the fact that today a pair of analog sticks is what consolefriends use, Arena shooters most definitely benefit from using the Outtrigger default button scheme.
>>
File: 1435640526644.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1435640526644.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
>>2849350
Weird to think there was a point in my life where I got so used to the controls for FPS games on the N64 I actually had a hard time adapting to the dual analog controls on PS1 shooters.
>>
>>2849350
>Firstly, Outtrigger did it the best.

No, Quake 3 Arena on DC did the best.
Analog for looking, ABXY to move and strafe, shoulder buttons to jump and shoot.

That's all you need in an FPS game.
>>
File: screen480x480.jpg (48 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
screen480x480.jpg
48 KB, 480x360
>>2850083
Fur Fighters had the same control scheme on the Dreamcast. I remember it took a while to get used to when I was a kid, but it's definitely the best way to handle it on a controller with one analog stick.
>>
>>2850083
I use this same setup in UT, except I put jump on the left D-pad since left trigger is alt fire. It works fine, too.
>>
>>2850083
Quake 3 online on the DC with the keyboard and mouse must have been amazing for the few that experienced it. Best FPS of the 90's on a console probably
>>
>>2849350
>can't walk and free-look at the same time

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
I actually really like the default goldeneye/perfect dark controls. Sure its not accurate or precise, or fast, but it just feels right for the controller and its fun
>>
>>2849350
UT99 on the DC did it the best.
>walk with ABXY
>turn with analogue
>change weapons with D Pad
>shoot with trigger
>>
>>2850083
>>2850194
>>2850252
You guys are right in the sense that walking and freelooking is optimal for most shooters. The reason I found Outtrigger's default setting optimal for console FPS was because it had a strong horizontal play and the maps were built around that. If you think about it, Quake III Arena has loads of horizontal play focused maps. Unreal Tournament would be a game where freelooking and strafing at the same time would be optimal since the maps have many layers with many access points.
>>
Original Turok on N64 had the best scheme because it was >>2850083 on the 64 controller but reversible for the differently dexterous.
>>
>>2850179
>I use this same setup in UT, except I put jump on the left D-pad since left trigger is alt fire. It works fine, too.

It works but it isn't as smooth since you have to stop turning around while you press jump.

But this is only really a problem because the DC controller sucked and didn't have enough buttons. The same setup on, say, X360 controller works better because you have 2 extra shoulder buttons. But as I recall most X360 FPS games used the second analog for moving, and left the ABXY for additional stuff (melee button, grenade button, opening doors, crap like that). That works too I guess but using an analog stick in place of the WASD keys is not as precise IMO.
>>
>>2850252
>UT99 on the DC did it the best.

see

>>2850083

And if you want to get technical on which one of them did this first: Duke3d and Quake on Saturn with the 3d pad did it before either of them.
>>
>>2850557
>>2850083
Every other first person shooter on the Nintendo 64 had the option to have this exact control scheme. Using the C buttons to move and the stick to look. Z button to fire and a and b for use/reload. Shit, you could even use two sticks from two different controllers for goldeneye and perfect dark if you wanted to.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.