[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fixing scratched discs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: playstation_disc_detail_large.jpg (40 KB, 703x653) Image search: [Google]
playstation_disc_detail_large.jpg
40 KB, 703x653
I just recently found my copy of Final Fantasy VII in the attic and want to play it. The first disc is really messed up because I can't even get the first FMV to start. I tried that toothpaste trick that on the disc since I have used before on another CD and it worked. But when I tried it on Final Fantasy VII it didn't work as I hoped it would.

What other solutions or tricks have you people use when fixing old PS1 discs?
>>
>>2849113
you wanna use a fine grit sand paper, something like a p240 to buff out the scratches
>>
>>2849129
dont listen to this guy. what you need is some common toothpaste and steel wool. when your hands are bleeding thats how you know the disc is fixed.
>>
>>2849129
>>2849139
Both of these are perfectly valid choices. The sand paper to wear down the scratches and the toothpaste to polish it out. The steel wool...not so much needed with the combination you'll be using.
>>
>>2849129
>>2849139

These guys are crazy, what you really need is a very ripe banana, salt and water.

Prepare a salt water mixture and put it aside.

Apply the banana all over the CD, then let it soak in the salt water.

The sodium and potassium will react with the oxygen in the water and it'll mend the scratches
>>
Just find a game store that has a professional buffing machine and see if they offer a service at like 50 cents a disc or something
>>
>>2849218
More like 2 or 3 dollars, but it usually works unlike all the homebrew solutions.
>>
Take it to a place with a CD debuffer machine. The toothpaste trick is useless I've tried it numerous times and it never ever worked.
>>
Gamestop doesn't do disc buffing any more, I asked, she said they quit doing it years ago
>>
Toothpaste has worked for me with regular CDs, not sure if the same works with Playstation discs though.
>>
first make a toothpaste ring around your cd like pic related

Then take two advil pills and ground them up, mix it with a 1:2 solution of iso alcohol:hawaiian punch

pour the mixture on the cd BEFORE rubbing the tootpaste in.

Then rub the tootpaste on the cd and rub it off, works everytime
>>
>>2849113
It sounds like your disc is a little more screwed up than what any homebrew can fix. I would suggest having it resurfaced. If you live anywhere near a chain called BuyBacks, they can probably do it for you on the cheap.

I use Lemon Pledge. Coat the whole back, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then wipe with a microfiber cloth in a circle from the center out.
>>
>>2849516
Can confirm this works. Had Legend of Dragoon and the fucker kept freezing on me. Tried this and worked right away.
>>
>>2849516
>>2849618

This is why I look for solutions on the Internet.

Internet people are always the most helpful.
>>
>>2849113

The first disc of my copy of FFVII was too scratched to use too, but there's one method I found that works:

>Put in the second disc
>Put in the first one when it prompts you to (since you're not on the second one yet)
>The game now starts

I have no idea why this worked for me but it did.
>>
>>2849516

This isn't real, right?
>>
>>2849113
I sent my discs of FF8 to some repair company back in 09 cost like 20 bucks, totally worth it
>>
I just want to get my copy of Digimon world fixed. Bought it at Goodwill complete and it has only worked once. I just want to see if it is as good as I remember Digimon being.
>>
>>2850082
thanks, that actually works. Although the music didn't sync at first but it was overall playable.
>>
>>2849113
>>2849218

This!

Find any local game stores and ask them if they offer the service. I worked for two different vidya shops (carried old games too) and a resurfacer is an absolute must when running a business like that. The quality of the resurface will definitely depend on their machine on hand.

I used to love 'working miracles' for customers in your position. If the boss wasn't in/I wasn't sure if I could 'save' the disc (badly scratched) I'd just do it for free. The look on people's faces when they were handed back a spot-free game no charge felt awesome. I even got a few calls personally thanking me for my work.
>>
>>2850085

worked for my sonic adventure 2 battle on Gamecube

it isn't a solution for deeply scratched discs I guess, but it does help.
>>
>>2849153
DONT, this anon is trying to trick you into injuring yourself with a SODIUM-POTASSIUM BOMB

look it up on wikipedia if you doubt me

>>2849516
shillll, go back to ebay selling your overpriced colgate

>>2849113
burn a pirate cd and do the swap trick, if you have no modchip that is, CD is just a medium, the CD is a lie, instead you must realize the truth, there is no CD, it is in fact you that bend.
>>
I feel like every single tip here is a trick and I'm too stupid to be in on the joke and know for sure, but too frightened of ruining a game to try it.
>>
>>2853517
>burn a pirate cd and do the swap trick
this is the easiest way, apart from finding a place that does disc resurfacing
especially good for when you have a game that uses CD audio tracks (eg, Ridge Racer, Rollcage, Wipeout) but is otherwise damaged, the TOC on both the original and burn will be the same, so music will play at the right points (you boot the system with the original if you can -- if that doesn't work, you can use a different game to boot, but you'll then have issues with sound on CDDA games)
>>
>>2849218
this is always the best solution if it is available.

used game shops and secondhand music stores that sell CDs/DVDs usually have them available.

>>2849261
that is because what you are doing is polishing the underside of the disc. polishing only removes fine scratches. anything beyond a mild surface skid mark and you're hosed, you have to use an abrasive (like sandpaper) to remove material from the disc to compensate (level it out).

i don't recommend that amateurs use abrasive material on optical media, especially anything remotely valuable. practice on a cdr/dvdr or something with 500 grit sandpaper, here's how:

- wet the surface of the optical media, and LIGHTLY moisten the sandpaper. use a fine spray bottle for this if you have one. if not don't bother, just wet the optical media. more water is better.
- sand the optical media in a circular motion. don't press too hard and be certain to use EVEN pressure. don't press hard, then soft. keep it consistent. the idea here is to remove some material and level things out, not to sand through the material.
- if it's taking too long or you're not seeing any improvement, work your way down to a rougher grit. maybe 350. repeat previous steps.
- keep going until things are looking better. you'll see some fine hairline scratches as a result of the sanding process--we'll fix this in the final step.
- grab some toothpaste, or, if you're not a poorfag, go to your local auto parts store or department store like target. buy some polishing compound, it's like $3 for a 20oz bottle or something retarded like that.
- apply a dime-sized dab of compound (or toothpaste) to the optical media. using a microfiber or diaper cloth, work the compound (or toothpaste) into the surface using a circular motion until it becomes hazy. stop, let it sit for a couple minutes, then use a clean cloth to buff it out. repeat until the surface looks nice and smooth or until your arm hurts and you're ok with how it looks

fuck this comments long
>>
>>2853593
Actually taking it to a place to be buffed out by a professional grade machine is solid advice. The need for fixing scratched discs has been around for so long there are multiple companies that make these machines. I've never seen a consumer grade disc buffer that worked well though.

Toothpaste "works" because of one ingredient that can actually fill in scratches, but then you have to deal with all the other shit that is in toothpaste.

Scratches fuck up discs because they either refract the laser in a weird way, or make it reflect somewhere else. Which makes it impossible for the laser to read the data it needs. The only way to fix this problem is to either fill in the scratches, or polish the disc to make it more uniform. Polishing of course carries the risk that you'll grind too much and permanently destroy the disc.
>>
File: DRP.jpg (39 KB, 403x316) Image search: [Google]
DRP.jpg
39 KB, 403x316
This worked brilliantly for me.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.