[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Commandos thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: commandos-20188 (1).jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
commandos-20188 (1).jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
So, /vr, i remember playing some missions of Commandos: Behind enemy lines as a kid and it was very fun and but too heavy for me at the time. Now i feel like giving the series another chance, but C1 is now too low-res for my screen with fan patches dont seem to work properly, C2 has absolutely shitty controls and really unneeded features like inventory and map rotation and i never touched C3 but reember press shitting all over it. Should i even bother with the C3 now, or just stick to good ol'Desperados for my tactical puzzle? Also, i would like some recommendations on games like Commandos and Desperados series (though i feel like they may be are one of a kind in a genre).
>>
there's also robin hood and chicago 1930
>>
Had Commandos 1, really cool game.

Shame they felt the need to keep adding things to it.

Moment I saw an ad for 2 that talked about the 3D map aspect I was turned off immediately.

Anyway the maps looked gorgeous, loved the art and loved the layouts. BTW which game is the OP pic from, can't be from 1 IIRC
>>
>>2848418
>robin hood
Heard it was good, but the setting is not quite my cup of tea.
>Chicago 1930
Heard it was awesome, but never ever saw it in the retail, even when it was brand new, also dont know anybody who played it or even saw it on the shelves. Guess my town just got unlucky. How is it? And were there some Commandos-like games not made by Spellbound, aside from Korea: Forgotten conflict?
>>
>>2848428
smee again, just found this on wikipedia

A Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version of Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, with the first 5 missions, was also made by Russian homebrew programmers, but lacked sound and certain other features of the PC version.

why.jpg
>>
>>2848428
It is from the 2nd one. The map rotation was done in most difficult way possible: they literally drawn/rendered four 2d maps and gave the player ability to switch between them (with commandos changing their position on the screen). Confusing as hell, might i say.
>>
>>2848440
Пoтoмy чтo мы мoжeм. Пoчeмy тpaхaть дeлaть ты дyмaeшь мы были нapиcoвaть тaкoй мyльтипликaциoнный фильм?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsiLmvPvhKc
>>
File: 15054709037767621606.jpg (335 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
15054709037767621606.jpg
335 KB, 800x600
So guys, does anyone played Commandos 3? Also, the mod for 2, Destination Paris, sounds sweet with adding all missions from C1 and C3. Is it super-hardcore-true-fans-only or no?
>>
>>2848453
Well, you sure can do shit for homebrew lol, no audio and a bunch of other stuff.

stop.gif
>>
>>2848428
I thought 3 started the 3d thing? 2 was my favourite for the settings, art and absolutely huge maps. I only ever played the demo of the first but I played that to death. Not quite the same thing but silent storm is a great tbased ww2 top down game. Also hidden and dangerous (I've only played no 2 but they're both supposed to be good) has you as the sas in ww2
>>
>>2848542
>I thought 3 started the 3d thing?
Like the other anon said, 2 had a pseudo-3D map thing going on. Not one unique map viewable from any angle, but 4 separate maps, each from a different angle, that you could switch.
>>
>>2848453
Cool google translate, dude. Maмкy твoю eбaл.
>>
>>2848579
Tы лyчшe зa кoммaндoc тжpи пoяcни и дeтeктop пoчини, you mother's motherfucker.
>>
>>2848582
Time 2 go 2 bed, Putin.
>>
File: tfy.jpg (128 KB, 900x932) Image search: [Google]
tfy.jpg
128 KB, 900x932
>>2848585
Spokoinoi nochi prokljatiy kapitalist.
>>
>>2848593
Fucken russians, man.
>>
>>2848437
>How is it?
Meh at best, weapon selection is kinda boring, rpg system is unbalanced, it is fairly linear, difficulty levels are brutally unfair, and while both campaigns have like 12 missions each you will only visit the same 8 locations but slightly changed.
>>
File: commandos.jpg (148 KB, 1024x1279) Image search: [Google]
commandos.jpg
148 KB, 1024x1279
>Beret
>Sentensed 14 years in prison for beating an officer, joined the Commandos instead
>Irish as fuck
>Marine
>Possibly a war criminal
>Drunk
>Dishonorable discharge or Commandos, picked former
>Driver
>Crime record at USA
>Crime record at UK
>Joins the army to escape prison in 1938
>Thief
>Literally a thief, escaped french prison when germans arrived

That's what i love Commandos for. Half of the team are criminals and others have their dark sides as well, Sniper and Natasha most obviously. Quite different from the typical other WWII games where everybody are patriotic and heroic to the max.

Also
>Whiskey
>Not your typical wow so cute such smart german shepherd, a bull terrier instead, one of the most dangerous dog breeds
10/10. Holy shit i motherfucking love the series. The whole "Dirty dozen" vibe is so damn good.
>>
Bumping a dead thread.

I started C2 recently and stuck on Night of the wolves. It is not difficult, but the cutscene which must start when Lupine takes the Enigma and documents not showing and the objective "Decipher ID documents" remains undone, preventing me from sending a message. I am playing with high res patcs from commandoshq. What do i need to do? Does anyone have save at the beginning of the next mission if it is unfixable?
>>
Playing C2 with my brother will be always one of my most nostalgic memories.
Awesome game in every aspect and i think it could be still playable
>>
>>2848428
>>2848440

Thats Commandos 2 mission 5 I think.

>>2848447
>>2848563
The overworld map was still fully 2D. With 3d character moddels on top of it. Only inside buildings was fully 3D and you were able to turn 360 on the isometric axis.

The buildings were so small that you needed a 3d map.

>>2848428
I thought the ability to go into houses and the inventory system was great. There were so many different ways to do things. I especially like the mission Saving Private Smith. Where you start with nothing and only the thief.

C1 really was a puzzle with only a few methods. 2 had more freedom and somewhat easier because of this.
>>
Would love to play c1 & c2 again, but it's nowhere to be found to buy in Germany (as gog or steam download), because of some licensing and distribution rights - shame.
>>
>>2851775
To be honest, i am playing C2 right now and i really takin it back about the bad controls and inventory. I adapted pretty well and now it feels almost perfect. I might giva C2 mod, Destination Paris, a chance, it sure sounds sweet with its circa 130 missions with ones from CBEL/CBTCOD and C3 included.
>>
>>2851963

Someone else also mentioned bad controles. Whats that all about? I dont remember bad controles.

But I played alot of C2 ever since its first release and im so used to the game that I probably cant tell if it had bad controles to begin with.

But whats wrong with the controles?
>>
>>2851969
Way too many hotkeys, and not everything is doubled by the muuse, that's the problem IMO.
>>
File: bestjava.jpg (36 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
bestjava.jpg
36 KB, 240x320
>>2851969
But the combat is much more satisfying (though in Commandos when you are shoot at means you done something wrong), with autofire you can make ambushes and it is possible to just force through some areas and situations if you cant solve the puzzle.

Pic: Commandos for Java phones.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.