[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alisia Dragoon - I Don't Get It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
There's a copy for sale at a local pawn shop. I've heard a lot of people really like this game and while I do like early Genesis style graphics & sound, the game looks kinda boring. The attacks are auto aim and there isn't much platforming so as far as I can tell, the whole game is "take a few steps, stop to press attack, take a few more steps, stop to press attack" Is there something I'm missing from just watching it? Why does this game get so much love and is it worth picking up?
>>
here's a video link if you don't know what I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIRtWPYBtg
>>
It would take you not even two minutes to download an emulator and the ROM to figure out if you enjoy the game or not.
>>
>>2848389
I don't have a game pad for my computer.
>>
This fantasy game is ironically realistic. Electrical discharge in real life would behave similarly and "autoaim".
>>
File: 1449593401722.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
1449593401722.gif
1 MB, 371x209
>Equating "Dragoon" to dragons
>>
>>2848409
As is eating roast meat found laying on the ground ..I mean ...I do
>>
>>2848395
lol
>>
>>2848364
Good platforming, great music, very nice graphics. Combat isn't all that but evasion is the most important aspect.
>>
>>2848450
A dragoon is a soldier who uses a horse for transport but fights while unsaddled. She's only seen riding it once so she fits the description
>>
>>2848364
How about you emulate it nigger, it's harder than it sounds.
>>
>>2848543
Too late, it being 80-100 dollars less at that pawn shop than it's priced on eBay convinced me it was worth going back for it. Besides niggers emulate because they're too broke ass to experience the real thing.
>>
>>2848364

If you think you're just going to walk through mashing attack you are in for a butt fucking
>>
>>2848604
>Besides niggers emulate because they're too broke ass to experience the real thing.
As opposed to an adult spending money to play kids games`?
>>
>>2848604

>Alissia Dragoon for $100+

Jesus fucking what

You did check "sold" when doig your search, right?
>>
>>2848524

Specifically a dragoon is a soldier who uses a musket

But "Dragon Knight" is an acceptable fantasy etymology, since the soldiers were named because musket fire was reminiscent of dragon breath
>>
>>2848614
Yeah, go look right now. The world is full of rich idiots who would rather overpay than hunt and the scalpers on there know it.
>>
>>2848625

I bought my copy for $6

What the fuck
>>
>>2848608
>As opposed to an adult spending money to play kids games`?
As opposed to stealing it like you stole your TV Tyrone
>>
>>2848364
>Why does this game get so much love

its the definition of an "e-celeb" game.
>>
>>2848730
you mean only e-celebs love it? how so?
>>
>>2848739
don't get me wrong, it's a good enough game. but the reason it's price is so high is because it's a go-to game for every e-celeb that does a "hidden gems" episode. it's like the genny version of Gimmick
>>
There are some games that nobody cared about back then until someone made a youtube video, and they still aren't that fun now. This is one of them. Its just an ok game. Its not one of the best on the genesis by a long shot. Not even in the top 20.
>>
>>2848815

Oh fuck you

I've owned this game since before YouTube was a thing and it's always been rad as fuck

I wish ecelebs didn't exist so they wouldn't get brought up every time someone happens to share an opinion with one of them.

I can't even hate on Dark Castle anymore without someone bringing up that AVGN turd gobbler
>>
>>2849889
I'd put it about on par with the Valis games or El Viento
>>
>>2851413
Nah, Alisia Dragoon > Valis 3 > El Viento >>>>>>> rest of Valis games
>>
>>2848364
There's quite a bunch of platforming, especially since some levels are huge and require exploration (if you want to find hidden goodies, anyway), and some of the last levels actually require a ton of precise jumps. There are also MANY hidden areas with a lot of stuff that can power you up permanently, much earlier than you would normally could.

Boss fights are also pretty long and challenging, but of course if you explore the hidden areas for all the powerups, they can become much easier.

Your attack auto aims, but you can only keep using it for a limited amount of time, so you will have to stop to recharge. That's how the game is intended to be, and it is exactly what the later levels will NOT allow you to do.
Also if you let your power overcharge, you can do a badass screen sweeping attack.

You also have 4 different monsters following you, each one with different powers - different rate of fire, direction, attack strength, and also the monsters size and AI is also different and matters. The dragon for example has a high fire rate and damage, but shoots small pellets of fire, so it doesn't hit many enemies. It will also fly in front of you to take enemy hits, it will protect you to the death. Meanwhile the fireball monster is completely passive, and it's "attack" is being invulnerable to the next incoming hit. But it also does gigantic damage to any enemy it touches.

So it all becomes pretty tactical, and you can power up each one of them 3 times; but if they die, you need to find a revive item, and those are rare and hidden.

On top of that you have detailed and colorful graphics, nice animation, decent sized sprites, and very comfy music (nice classical style stuff, mostly harpsichord based). The difficulty is also great, even on normal, and especially on Hard mode.

Plus the game grades your play style, so you really do have to learn the levels if you want to get a good score. Best I got was 98% I think (still have the manual with my high scores).
>>
>>2851464
Yeah, it's a quite solid game. I wish game arts focused more on action platformers after it, a Saturn sequel would have been quite cool.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.