[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The king of fighters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
File: kof977.jpg (147 KB, 684x448) Image search: [Google]
kof977.jpg
147 KB, 684x448
You guys play KOF? It's really underrated compared to street fighter and mortal kombat
>>
Holy shit, do you know where you are right now?
>underrated
>inb4 200 replies
>>
>>2848168
It's his firs thread on /vr/, just give him a cookie and let it go.
>>
>>2848168
Yeah it's actually my first thread and I have been waiting for a response for a long time I just wanna talk about the game ;-;
>>
>>2848179
Well, you sure as hell came to the right place! Yes we do play KOF.
>>
>>2848184
What do you think about the new one will it be good or bad?
>>
>>2848189
Let me tell you, KOF '99 is looking GREAT, considerable step up from '98 which I thought was lackluster.
>>
>>2848172
Fine.

Enjoy yourself a cookie courtesy of anon 2848168, Merry Christmas.

OP, maybe you should start with a power ranking or a tier list or something to really light a fire under /vr/'s ass.
>>
File: orochi_chirs.gif (25 KB, 59x125) Image search: [Google]
orochi_chirs.gif
25 KB, 59x125
>>2848075
Who are some of your favorite characters? I tend to do best with Leona. I also like Orochi Chris, even if I don't do as good with him.
>>
What characters do you play with?
>>
>>2848208
Ralph and Kim are my favorites when it comes to gameplay
>>
>>2848208
My go to team is Athena, Iori, Kim but I like just about everyone. And one of the great things about 98 in particular is that everyone is strong. Even the sports team can be badass when used well.
>>
>>2848218
Heavy D is really good everybody played with him when I went to the arcades
>>
File: sherm521.gif (167 KB, 400x150) Image search: [Google]
sherm521.gif
167 KB, 400x150
>>2848221
Yeah, but Brian is probably the worst overall character in the game and Lucky is a close second. They can be good if used well, and are solid B+ tier characters. But everyone else is A tier at least. It's a damn good year.
>>
File: jubei.jpg (91 KB, 493x700) Image search: [Google]
jubei.jpg
91 KB, 493x700
KOF is fine, but I'm more of a Fatal Fury/Real Bout fan
>>
>love kof
>first time in /vr/
>a of thread in first page
my niggaz

>>2848208
I main Kyo, Iori and Athena, but I usually pick Andy instead of Athena and/or Mai instead of Kyo. On very rare occasions I go for Ralf because galactica phantom is the best fucking move ever.
>>
>>2848276
Ralph has the best fucking moveset
>>
>>2848075
My second favorite fighting game series behind Street Fighter and just a hair above Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown.

>>2848208
Terry, Ralph, Clark, Leona, Heidern, Goro Daimon, Shermie, Takuma/Mr. Karate, Geese Howard, Tizoc the Griffon Mask, Whip, Vanessa, Blue Mary, and Hinako. Although I suck with charge characters.

>>2848189
>>2848194
'98 was the best.

And sarcasm aside, IX looks like it has potential. We'll have to see how it turns out.
>>
You niggas play garou? I love that shit
>>
File: GMotW_Kain.png (5 KB, 135x315) Image search: [Google]
GMotW_Kain.png
5 KB, 135x315
>>2848589
Kain is my husbando
>>
>>2848075

inb4 200

>let me tell you..
>about muh mainz.
>>
UNPOPULAR OPINION: KoF wasn't good until '96.
>>
>>2848665
A little late with that inb4.
>>
>>2848690
SECOND UNPOPULAR OPINION: 98 is overrated, 2K2 UM is better

THIRD UNPOPULAR OPINION: XI is SNK's finest hour.
>>
File: kyo-ngbc.jpg (304 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
kyo-ngbc.jpg
304 KB, 768x1024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDx59A7wxo

I love this theme.

>/vr/ mods think KoF 2003 is off-topic
>>
>>2848576
>Geese Howard
Is he still dead? The stories in fighting games (like anyone gives a shit at all about them aside from the creators and the weebiest of weebs) are ludicrous so they could come up with any reason to bring him back if they insist on having continuity. The last Dream Match entry was like what, over ten years ago?
>>
>>2848710
Well technically KoF XII is a dream match but...ergh.
>>
>>2848710
Geese is dead in Fatal Fury, alive in KOF.

They're different continuities, don't complicate it further than that.
>>
File: art_women_fighters_team_98.jpg (64 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
art_women_fighters_team_98.jpg
64 KB, 768x1024
>>2848708
Serious question… Any specific reason to prefer the 2003 version over the classic ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1udDnaYuhc
98 Esaka is a personal favorite and I know there are people who may like the arranged versions more, but I'm genuinely curious about your post.
>>
File: KyoXII.jpg (166 KB, 1274x1754) Image search: [Google]
KyoXII.jpg
166 KB, 1274x1754
>>2848743
Ah, I dunno. It just sounds..."newer", I guess.

The 2002 UM version (ESAKA!!) is also rather hype.

The older ones just feel like they're missing instruments or something. Though the arranged version of the 96 theme is alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYuXUIHB8U
>>
>>2848752
>arranged version

I remember reading somewhere how the composers actually went out of their way to produce the arranged tracks, because they were pretty much their original vision.

It's interesting to notice how the older KOF music (up to 2000) used to sound closer to real instruments - and the arranged versions blended nicely with the gameplay. Too bad load times took more time than most rounds - at least in the console versions. I wonder if SNK had the technology to stream prerecorded music (like Matrimelee or Sengoku 3)
>>
>>2848690
That's the least unpopular opinion
>>
>>2848752
96 arrange is like, best arrange ever.
seriously, be it new themes or variations of existing ones, the whole AST is dope
>>
>>2848780
Nice to see people liking the AST as well. Usually KOF players prefer the good ol Neo Geo sound over more elaborated arranged versions - and SNK was absolutely godly at delivering those. Last Blade 2 and Samurai Shodown 4 have absolutely unique arranged soundtracks.

So, /vr/, which do you prefer? Team themes, character-specific themes, matchup themes, ambient sound (a la KOF 97)? If only 97 offered optional team BGMs in Versus Mode.
>>
>You guys play KOF?
Hell yeah
> It's really underrated compared to street fighter and mortal kombat
debatable maybe in the US but in third world countries its pretty popular.
I probably post this everytime i see one of these thread but I'm all for KOF 98, 00, and XIII. I want to try 2k2 UM and XI still. People here like 99 but idk its okay i guess. In terms of popularity I enjoy the characters and music more on KOF than SF while SF had the better gameplay. Ryu, Sagat, Dictator, and Blanka just isn't as cool as Kyo, Iori, Terry or Kim.
>>
>>2848826
one of the few (the only ?) track I still prefer in original form is Art of Fighting Art of fight, Todoh theme that pretty much became Kyokugen theme.
some arranges are pretty decent, but nothing beats that raw, brute force.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGNpg2J7Lg
97 did ambiant even in vs, pretty stupid. And it also did matchup (98 too) but it didn't work in vs as well...
team and character specific for lone / ex chars is the way to go.
>>
>>2848830
XI is very cool (be sure to play arrange mode on ps2, it fixes a lot of stuff)
2k2UM is excellent really, the tweaks they made from OG2k2 really help overall balance.
>>
>>2848843
XI looks promising since it has some great fanservice and 2k2 UM i hear is better cause i honest did not like vanilla 2k2 found it trying too hard to be 98.
>>
best theme. best gril.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ZlT68DYZs
>>
File: Vega.jpg (44 KB, 569x458) Image search: [Google]
Vega.jpg
44 KB, 569x458
>>2848830
>Ryu, Sagat, Dictator, and Blanka just isn't as cool as Kyo, Iori, Terry or Kim.
>>
>>2848848
OG2k2, few have useful max mode combos, must use max mode to access MAX and MAX2 supers, must use quick max to combo MAX / MAX2 supers, using a super in max mode ends mode but still costs 1 bar, super cancel still costs 1bar in max mode...
2k2UM, direct access to MAX / MAX2 for 1 more bar (so 3 bars total), but doing so you also don't suffer from max mode damage reduction so
normal > quickmax > normal > MAX
will do roughly the same (sometimes less) than
normal > command > MAX
for the same 3 bars, and is far less of an input nightmare.
Some do have very good 2 bars max mode combos, but that's ok.
you somewhat get a free super in max mode and super cancel doesn't cost in it.
The only real PITA is Kasumi but even she can get punished for abusing her moves.
Also, it kind sucks that Ryo Geki Ryuko Ranbu got turned into MAX2, since I've understood how to do it. But it's worthy of it, invincible, unblockable, 45%, that's crazy
>>
>>2848858
Best theme for sure but Leona is better you sadomasochist faggot
>>
I actually enjoyed 99 a lot I was just playing tears on guitar https://youtu.be/RVuon4OLtpE
>>
>>2848075

how the fuck do they sprite like that?

have they ever given interviews or anything to discuss their spriting technique? i imagine they use drawings to trace over/reference. How do they make the backgrounds?
>>
>>2848194
>99's rolling mechanics
shit bothers the fuck out of me, why did they have to change that
Also, strikers. Fuck'em. Game's probably the nicest looking /vr/-era KOF though.

>>2848208
Athena, Kula, Terry, K'. Love those 4.

as for teams
>98
Kyo, Terry, Athena
>98UM
EX Ryo, Terry, Athena
>2000
Bao (sometimes K'), Athena, Terry
>2002
Kula (sometimes Yuri), Athena, Terry (sometimes K')
>2002UM
Bao, Athena, Terry (sometimes Kula)

>>2848690
nah, that's pretty true
94's team system is stupid, and 94/95's damage is hilariously stupid, and the jumps+rolling that defined KOF from 96 onward weren't there yet

here's one: KOF2000 is pretty decent
KOF2001 isn't as bad as everyone says (in part because it's not as bad as say, 2003 or SVC Chaos), even if it's still not good

>>2848698
third unpopular opinion is unpopular for a reason
XI is decent, but I have had zero experience of it being really great, only thing about it that I really like about it is the rather large movelist on nearly everyone

>>2848241
98UMFE fixes Lucky so much that he's actually stupid good now.

>>2848189
14 looks pretty ugly for a recent game, but I'm actually excited seeing it in motion
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.