[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started playing Final Fantasy VII once but I couldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg (206 KB, 1024x713) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg
206 KB, 1024x713
I started playing Final Fantasy VII once but I couldn't get into the combat system. I'm thinking about playing it now, but if I still don't like it I'm wondering if it's worth cheating my way through to see the story. Is it good enough for that?
>>
If you don't enjoy the game then go play something else.
>>
>>2847624
Well, it is a classic, so I want to know if I should play it just to have experienced it. On the PS4 port I understand that you can refill your heath whenever you want. I want to know if the story is worth playing through like that.
>>
>>2847623
The gameplay is better than the story. Also you can just google the plot which will be more understandable.
>>
File: 1420659055456.jpg (150 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1420659055456.jpg
150 KB, 1500x1500
>>2847636
>The gameplay is better than the story.
>>
>>2847623
>but I couldn't get into the combat system.

just watch a walkthrough with no commentary if it bothers you so much
I never understood how people can play through a game while hating the gameplay (you spend basically 60% of the game in battles FFS)
>>
>>2847623
>playing through a game for the story
>playing a FF for the story

Go read a good book, no FF deserves a playthrough for its story, not even FFXII.
>>
File: 1361656584756.jpg (914 KB, 1078x1446) Image search: [Google]
1361656584756.jpg
914 KB, 1078x1446
Combat is easily one of the most boring aspects of the game outside of boss fights.
I'd still say the game is worth it anyhow for setting, characters, story and minigames.
Just don't expect a grand masterpiece.
>>
I wish this game had an option to turn off the animations for the summons.

Don't get me wrong, I came buckets the first few times, but after that it was all downhill real fast real bad. To think they became even longer in VIII....
>>
>I started playing Final Fantasy VII once but I couldn't get into the combat system.

Why do people talk as though a traditional turn-based RPG is some kind of weird, alien concept?
>>
>>2847736
Because people under the age of 16 post here.
>>
>>2847750
Do you mean fucking MILLENIALS?!

Oh my FUCKING GOD, someone get /moot/ or /hiroshima/ on the fucking PHONE right now!!
>>
I love FF7's combat. Fighting the Weapons was great.
>>
>>2847736
It's not really turn based though. It's time based. That screws me up. I really dig Paper Mario.
>>
>>2847736
I think it's because the perception of turn-based battles is heavily influenced by games like FF7 which as discussed in this thread is rather dull, combat-wise. I mean, the long load times on all those random encounters, the summons taking forever, not to mention the general lack of depth that pervades FF combat.

I hate to say it in one respect, but in another respect it really is good that they're redoing the game with a new combat setup.
>>
>>2847729
>using summons
In FFVII you spam items until you get Tifa's Powersoul weapon, and then you mostly spam 16x damage physical attacks. The only summon of any value is Hades, because it's less hassle than farming for Dazers.
In FFVIII it's even simpler, just spam limit breaks all the time.
>>
>>2847623
i would say no, its not worth playing if you dont like actually playing it. you can read the story plot elsewhere. cheating through the game dragging your feet sounds torturous.
the reason its considered a classic has a lot to do with the time it was released. for many it was the first 3d rpg with cinematic cut scenes, first rpg in general, first game with "adult" themes and en epic story. experiencing it now is only really good for the nostalgic feels. if you dont have that already its probably going to feel dated and goofy/

tl;dr
you missed the boat back in 1997
>>
>>2847774
no it is definitely turn based.
>>
>>2847851
I played it for the first time like three years ago and i think i still understood why it was so acclaimed. And it didn't looked particularly dated to me.
>>
>>2847623
You know what's odd? I've never played this game. I haven't even touched a controller connected to a system that had this game in it, not for a second... and yet, I have an incredible sense of nostalgia for it. I never owned a Playstation growing up, and didn't like RPGs until about 10 years ago, but this game ingrained itself into pop culture. All of my friends were always playing it, and talking about it and telling me about it. I remember the commercials and the articles in magazines. I remember looking through my friend's Versus Books Guide for it. I watched my friend play it for like, 6 straight hours once while sleeping over his house in the 7th grade. I have nothing but good memories attached to this game, despite having never played it for myself.

I just picked up a good CRT for my old game collection, and I decided to get a used PS1 and start authentically playing all the games I never had when I was a kid, and this is first on my list. It might ruin my perception of the game, but I think it's past time.
>>
>>2847814
I always just used the all-hitting enemy magics (Trine, Beta, Aqualung), and those Magic + All materias (you'll be having a ton of them by mid game).
>>
>>2847804
>Every game is dull unless it has real-time action combat.
>>
>>2847953
I hate this meme, and this is coming from a kid who used to fucking hate RPGs.

My first RPG was Mario RPG, and I felt like it was a bait and switch. I had no idea what "RPG" meant, but after renting the game, I was baffled as to why anyone would want to play a game where you take turns and pick your attacks from menus and shit. Years later, I think it was Paper Mario that eased me into turn based battles again, and I even started to enjoy straight up old-school turn-based stuff with no active inputs. Now I really enjoy a good turn-based battle. The bounty hunter bosses in Skies of Arcadia were fucking epic, and demanded a lot of strategy.

The one thing I don't like are action RPGs which essentially turn into button mashers. They make you surrender your party members to AI, and you just spam the same attacks over and over again while your character shouts annoying attack names. At that rate, I'd much rather have complete control over my entire party's actions in menus.
>>
>>2847625
>to experience this wonderful magical art

It's a fucking videogame your life will be no different fuck stop being so autistic.
>>
>>2847650
>>2847636
how shit must be the storry then?
>>
>>2848043
We'll never really know, the translation has always been low-fidelity.
>>
At least wait till you get out of Midgar, you gain access to a lot more Materia combinations, Blue Magic and Summons.
>>
>>2848019
He's autistic for saying that he wants to play a video game for enjoyment?
>>
>>2847623
It really depends on your tolerance/patience, and how much you'll like the story.

It's all subjective.
>>
>>2848085
He's implying he has to experience it for his life to be complete. Don't play stupid you hear people say that all the time.
>>
>>2848090
Fuck off back to v shitposter
>>
>>2848090
We don't take kindly to your kind around these here parts, stranger.

The sheriff will show the way out.
>>
File: howdy m'partner.jpg (210 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
howdy m'partner.jpg
210 KB, 500x667
>>2848090
hey im the sheriff, i'm here to show you the way out it's this way

>>/hm/
>>
>>2847625
Play through it more and if you're still not having fun play something else.

Things that are "classics" usually only are because they meet mainstream aesthetic sensibilities. You might just be an outlier. Dont feel dumb for not liking something that a lot of people do.

The idea that people "should" enjoy certain works of art is stupid and the reason high school English classes turn tons of kids off of books. They expect kids to enjoy art that isn't relevant to them (or at a big stretch) in their early years.
>>
File: 1448440336987.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448440336987.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>2848145
>videogames
>art
>>
>>2848162
I don't look at art as more important than anything else, dont get too triggered that I put video games in the wrong folder.
>>
>>2848125

/vr/ and /hm/ are the only two boards I visit. Even faggots can like retro games.
>>
>>2848178
You can be a gay /vr/ trooper all you want, we just don't want retards who shitpost stuff like "FF7 shouldn't be retro anymore."
>>
>>2848162
In all my years in 4chan, I never understood this meme.
>>
>>2848182
It's a reference to https://www.google.ch/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=bjtrVpeWKOiX8QfVsJeIBQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=ebert+games+art
>>
>>2848186
I know the reference, I just cannot understand how people would even say that as a joke, it's overdone and was never good in the first place.
>>
>>2848180

Well, now that I have your approval.

That wasn't the point, though. You were deferring a troll to our board. Why? We don't want him anymore than you do.
>>
>>2848198
A troll for finding it ridiculous that someone said ff7 isn't retro?
>>
>>2847623
FFVII's combat is complete ass with hardly any agency at the beginning. The big deal about the game is how it aimed to be a "big budget, AAA cinematic experience" that wouldn't become the norm until a decade later. The focus is on fancy cutscenes and guiding you through the linear narrative, especially early on. Once you leave Midgar, it gets better -- multiple party members, materia customization, more intimidating enemies, and a whole world to explore. Don't call the game a chore because it rewards patience. There's more and more content to uncover as you're granted freedom. Mastering the battle system means you can challange the now infamous superbosses. Resorting to a pathetic HP cheat means missing out on all that. Use the fast-forward toggle if you need to skip the story.
>>
>>2848198
>Well, now that I have your approval.

Dude, no one's talking about any anon's sexuality, what the hell?!

>>That wasn't the point, though. You were deferring a troll to our board. Why? We don't want him anymore than you do.

I'm sure the board of destination was picked at random, don't hate.
>>
>>2848198
Sorry I forgot no ones allowed to make jokes in 2015 if it has anything to do with
>weight
>sexuality
>gender
>lack OF gender
>fluidity of gender
>race
>religion except for Christianity (christians are okay to make fun of, they wont blow you up, er i mean they're jerks)
>ethnic background
>life choices
>anything at all.
>>
>>2847978
>I'm not a fan of RPGs and never understood them but you should totally respect my opinion about them
>>
>>2848209
>I'm sure the board of destination was picked at random

Yeah, sure. It was a low jab at us homos. A faggot (4chan) and a literal faggot are two different things. There's no reason to pawn your unwanted shitposters off on us as if there were any overlap.

>>2848216
>"The PC tumblrinas are oppressing me by disagreeing with my opinions!"

Cool your panties, /pol/. Calling someone out for being a jackass isn't tantamount to pushing for political correctness. No one said you couldn't be a jackass, just that you shouldn't act surprised when people justifiably point out the fact that you're a jackass in front of everybody else.
>>
>>2848235
The fact that making jokes makes you a jackass now is beyond me. When did everyone get so uptight.
>>
>>2848235
Slow day today in Troll Land hey, fucking fagget, go cry a river in /hm/ then if you can't handle the heat, sissy.
>>
>>2848217
Confirmed for not reading the rest of the post.
>>
>>2848237
>The fact that making jokes makes you a jackass now is beyond me.

It does when it's at the expense of other people. It's really funny how /pol/ types whine about traditional family values being destroyed by modern culture, but they fail to grasp something as simple as common decency.

Judging from >>2848216, this person might take exception to someone making fun of Christians. Should I go out of my way to make "jokes" about Christians being delusional retards in every chance I get? No, because then I just sound like a jerkass who has an issue with Christianity. Even if I disagree with them, I'm not going to dump all over their beliefs and generally try to make them feel like shit for the sake of puerile humor.
>>
>>2847978
>The one thing I don't like are action RPGs which essentially turn into button mashers.
>you just spam the same attacks over and over again

Turn-based RPGs are the same. You just mash the buttons more slowly to spam the most powerful attacks you have.
>>
>>2848235
>>2848198
>>2848178
>>2848271
>>2848090
>>2848090
>>2848090
>>
>>2848271
>it does when its at the expense of other people
This is a new thing. 90% of funny jokes are now gone. Tell me ONE funny joke that's not at the expense of another person or a person's belief.
>>
>>2848271
What's worse: making a joke online or dancing naked in streets in public and in front television cameras to protest something or support a cause?
>>
File: 1449290791266.png (452 KB, 416x586) Image search: [Google]
1449290791266.png
452 KB, 416x586
>>2848291
Hey, all I said to is that discussing ff7 invites v faggots and weaboos.
>>
File: 1348764844816.png (2 KB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
1348764844816.png
2 KB, 244x226
>>2848408
>>
>>2847693
>Combat is easily one of the most boring aspects of the game outside of boss fights
The game is way too easy so it gets really uninteresting often.
>>
>>2848313
>Tell me ONE funny joke that's not at the expense of another person or a person's belief.
A duck walks into a bar and asks, "Got any grapes?", the bartender, confused, tells the duck "No". The duck thanks him and leaves.

The next day, the duck returns and asks, "Got any grapes?", again, the bartender tells him; "No -- the bar does not serve grapes, has never served grapes and, furthermore, will never serve grapes." The duck thanks him and leaves. The next day, the duck returns, but before he can say anything, the bartender yells, "Listen, duck! This is a bar! We do not serve grapes! If you ask for grapes again, I will nail your beak to the bar!"

The duck is silent for a moment, and then asks, "Got any nails?"

Confused, the bartender says no.

"Got any grapes?"
>>
>can't even get into THE entry level RPG
This genre isn't for you.
>>
>>2849425
Pretty sure that was Final Fantasy Adventure
>>
>>2849419
OMG you Duckist.

Also I don't like you stereotyping bartenders as angry people. My aunt is actually a bartender and is a very nice person.
>>
File: shocked 1430211522631.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shocked 1430211522631.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
WTF is going on in this thread?
Why is this allowed?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.