[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it with emulation that made it go increasingly complex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: higan.png (43 KB, 868x648) Image search: [Google]
higan.png
43 KB, 868x648
What is it with emulation that made it go increasingly complex as the time went on?
I remember downloading zsnes and playing roms in 1998.
Now to get an emulator with all those fancy crt and scanline effects to work you have to look through almost 100 blogs and follow a trail of breadcrumbs to get some monstrosity that barely works.
>>
>>2847471
Retroarch comes with a lot of shaders already, wtf are you talkin about?
>>
>>2847471
Expecting hand feeding from what amounts to a free program that came from a shit ton amounts of hard work? Emulators were complex from the beginning. No one is forcing you to use them.
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>2847482
>Expecting hand feeding from what amounts to a free program that came from a shit ton amounts of hard work?
Morality is an illusion
t. master fedora tipper
>>
>>2847471
If you want to do complex things you have to put in the work. If you just want to play a game with minimal features you can do that as well. Nobody is forcing you to use complex shaders, but back then you just didn't have them.
>>
>>2847487
>muh secret club
>>
>>2847489
Welp, should've known this was a bait thread with the mention of zsnes.

Here's your (You)
>>
>>2847471
Yeah because N64 and PSX(1 if you're underaged) were never a clusterfuck of plugins or anything.
>>
>>2847471
Adding OPTIONAL frills takes extra steps? Stop the presses!
Just playing a game is no more complex then what it was back in the earlier days of emulation.
>>
>>2847471
It remind me that guy who wanted absolutely to play Skyrim on PS3 because he was afraid to HAVE to choose some mods on PC.
>but you can play without mods on PC if you want.
>NO! You don't get it!
>>
Like everything else in life, it only gets worse...
>>
File: GameLibrary-Wide.jpg (94 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
GameLibrary-Wide.jpg
94 KB, 640x400
I feel it. It bothers the hell or of me how much better the emulators on my phone are than the PC ones in terms of presentation and interface

How am I supposed to go back to a Windows 95 GUI or a bright purple train wreck or a fucking command line after using this?
>>
>>2847553
>coolrom

I sincerely hope you still don't go there.
>>
Man I still just use ZSNES. Version 1.337 which is from well over 10 years ago to boot. I don't have OCD so I don't care if it's supposedly ever-so-slightly innacurate.
>>
>>2847565
If I was being unclear I meant how mobile emulators have box art libraries of your ROM collection that get generated on the spot when you point them at your folder and that was the best pic I could find to demonstrate that
>>
>>2847565
It's still somewhat faster than emuparadise and you don't even have to insert a captcha.
>>
>>2847581
You don't have to insert captcha on emuparadise either and it has a much wider selection along with not trying to trick unaware users into downloading malware.
>>
>>2847553
>OP complain about how Zsnes is not accurate enough
>praise phone emulation
>>
>>2847471
You can still use ZSNES if you don't have autism.
>>
>>2847471

zsnes isn't complex because it was designed with the "it just werks" philosophy, which is to say cycle accuracy was disregarded in favor of game-specific hacks that create the illusion of games running the way they should. In reality, the emulator is just barely chugging along, relying on a bunch of hacked in shit to keep ROMs from crashing left to right.

The last version of zsnes actually drops some of those hacks, so a lot of ROMs that use special chips will in fact crash the emulator now.

>Now to get an emulator with all those fancy crt and scanline effects to work you have to look through almost 100 blogs and follow a trail of breadcrumbs to get some monstrosity that barely works.

Completely non-sequitur. This part of your post made no sense, as it doesn't relate to the complexity of emulation at all. I'm not even sure what your complaint is, in that case.

If you're just looking for filters, most emulators include filters by default, and additional filters can be added by dropping third-party plugins somewhere into the emulator's directory. There's nothing complex about it...?
>>
>>2847471

Just use ZSNES, it has CRT filters in it now. You right that all the modern stuff is shit.
>>
>>2847573
>mobile emulators have box art libraries of your ROM collection that get generated on the spot when you point them at your folder
Dude, who the fuck cares? I'd rather select my games from a list of text than have to stare at a bunch of pictures like a five-year-old.
>>
>>2848140
>stare at a bunch of pictures like a five-year old
The best part, is that's literally what videogames are. Staring at a bunch of fast moving pictures, get this, like a 5 year old.

Don't pretend any self respecting adult would play video games more than 2 hours a week.
>>
???????

The only retro consoles you have to do some extra effort are the PS1 and N64, and the extra effort is type "emulator name + plugin you need" on fucking google
>>
>>2847471
wtf? Use http://openemu.org/ ffs
>>
>>2848361
yeah except if you said that on /v/ they'd almost cry as hard as you are.

Here's some nails, some planks, build a bridge and get over it.
>>
>>2847471
>cant use higane
>>
>>2847471
Elitism.

It's the same reason that 10% of /mu/ forces itself to listen to CDs of airport noises.
>>
>>2848415
>It's the same reason that 10% of /mu/ forces itself to listen to CDs of airport noises.

Dude what the fuck?
>>
>>2848417
Plebs like you can't understand the beauty of pots and pans in the dryer and you never will. A true patrician can enjoy all tones, nothing is ever just noise.

Something like that, anyways.
>>
>>2848415
>CD's
pleb, airport noises on vinyl is patrician
>>
>>2848423

>how to spot someone who doesn't browse /mu/

Just skimming the catalog now I can see Tama Impala, Snoop Dogg, and Talking Heads. If any of those are remotely inaccessible to you then I don't know what to say.
>>
>>2848384
contrarian amongst neckbeards maybe but in the adult working world, it's pretty normal to not be a total fucking sperg who plays virtual pretend knight saving the pricness and eats hot pockets all day
>>
File: Music_for_Airports.jpg (33 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
Music_for_Airports.jpg
33 KB, 301x300
>>2848417
they're talking about music for airports which doesn't have any airport sounds in it.

but anon has a point. people are insecure about what they should be doing/enjoying so instead of accepting that and becoming more self confident they tell other people that they're wrong.
>>
Such a beautiful thing this thread has become.
>>
>>2847471
Emulators are complex pieces of software made for a narrow group of enthusiasts for no monetary compensation. You shouldn't expect them to be perfectly accessible or to pander to your exact requirements in features.

Then again, nobody's forcing you not to use plug-and-play emulators like zsnes and psxfin, they probably have all the filters you want now anyway.

As to why people (here in particular) prefer to fuck with extremely complex "nutella core and elitist.dll" emulation for those minuscule disparities in accuracy, well, yeah, the same reason people use obscure open-source OSes and why /mu/ makes itself listen to wax cylinders of train noises.
>>
>>2847471
I know right? It's fucking bullshit. Emulators used to just work, maybe with a few glitches but so what? Now, to get a decent emulator working you have to jump through stupid hoops.
>>
>>2848430
>how to spot someone who can't read threads

As was said earlier, 10%.
>>
>>2847471
It has nothing to do with emulators. All programs that aren't 100% self contained have this shitty external dependency problem. It's always shitty because it is always poorly documented.

Just be thankful emulators aren't programming tools, where the shitty documentation is written assuming a linux operating system and it doesn't correctly handle a windows filepath with a space in it or some shit.
>>
>>2847471
What emulators are complicated? I don't think I've needed anything more than a bios for setup.
>>
>>2847471
>open snes9x
>from top bar select video, display settings
>chose anything from "output image processing"
wow so hard
>>
>>2847585
Dude they fixed that it's just as good
>>
>>2848565

Or that 10% could actually enjoy that stuff? Or do you want to be elitist about what people are allowed to like?
>>
>>2848729
Holy christ, you are fucking dumb.

The joke is, 10% of /mu/ likes to be elitist over the other 90% by listening to cacophonous noise and claiming they can appreciate it and those who can't are plebs.

Then you cite some examples of mainstream music (ie, the 90% the 10% are making fun of). You might have caught on to this if you had bothered to actually read the posts you're responding to.
>>
File: 5366244.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
5366244.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>2848478
>they're talking about music for airports which doesn't have any airport sounds in it.
He's referencing things like pic related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHs0LkixGvY
>>
>>2848751
>>The joke is, 10% of /mu/ likes to be elitist over the other 90% by listening to cacophonous noise and claiming they can appreciate it and those who can't are plebs.

[citation needed]
>>
>I remember downloading zsnes and playing roms in 1998.

The thing with ZSNES is that it was written with game-specific hacks to get games to run, so it wasn't actually emulating the hardware and caused a bunch of problems with less popular games.
>>
>>2847594
Phone emulation on modern smartphones is generally based on Snes9x 1.52 or greater.

Hell, for what it's worth, bsnes-performance (retroarch) works well on my phone.
>>
>>2847526
Paralysis of choice is a thing. I can totally understand not wanting to deal with the headache of getting a game to work just right and having to rely on community fixes to various things. Saints Row 2 comes to mind as a jacked up PC release you need mods fixes for.

Not that that would be the case an elder scrolls game, but there is an appeal to just having something that works and not have your "gotta tweak everything to perfection" sense tingled.
>>
>>2848320
>Self respecting adult doesn't think you should play games for more than two hours a week
>far better use of time is better spent shitposting
>>
>>2848939
>Saints Row 2 comes to mind as a jacked up PC release you need mods fixes for.
It's because it's the only one, and it have nothing to do with Skyrim or emulation.
It's just plain retarded. Paralysis of choice in our society? Don't even set a foot in a store.
>>
>>2847471
>want to play space channel 5
>emulator and lcd lag makes it impossible
>buy a dreamcast
>want to play jet set radio
>already have a dreamcast
>delete emulator
>>
>>2848760

What the fuck. Do people unironically like this?
>>
>>2850483
You're missing the point of ambient music. It literally is supposed to be played in airports. It's designed as minimally distracting background noise.
>>
>>2847471
elitism and legality issues.
>>
>>2849256
who said i'm a self respecting adult?
>>
>>2850501

I dont mean the airport music, I mean that shit that's just a bunch of static.
>>
>>2848760
What exactly is this? I just randomly clicked through it and found either silence or irritating tones.
>>
>>2850501
>Good Morning Good Night
>ambient music
>designed for airports
shut the fuck up
>>
>>2850483
>>2850515

This is nothing like Metallica or my video game soundtracks at all!
>>
>>2847493
>N64
It's U64, you underage fag.
>>
>>2849256
This is always the ultimate irony of the 4chan boards dedicated to games, so much time is spent discussing games and discussing how to play games and where to play them and how long to play them that the discussion itself becomes a far more obsessive and unhealthy hobby than the games themselves could ever be.
>>
>>2847482
>that came from a shit ton amounts of hard work

Obviously didn't work hard enough if the program is shit
>>
File: 907955.jpg (19 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
907955.jpg
19 KB, 300x225
>>2850483
You obviously haven't met "Merzbow" fans. This guy made like 200 albums which you'd think is pretty damn insane and then you discover that all of them can be summed up as KRRRRRRRSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBZZZZZZZZTTTTTT
>>
>>2847471
The same thing that causes any technology to grow increasingly complex as time goes on. Progress.
>>
>>2851104
>200

More like 1000+

He's made some genuinely good stuff though, especially some of his collaborations
>>
>>2850642
No, seriously, is there actual music in there? Or is it just sine waves and silence?
>>
>ITT - People that have no business using a computer.
>>
>>2848430
That's because nowadays /mu/ is just neo-/mu/, a.k.a. plebs everywhere
>>
>>2851126
ALL SOUND IS JUST SINE WAYS F A M
>>
>>2850483
Well, I do
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.