[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Of the two great 2d controllers, do you have any preference for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11
File: 2d greatness.jpg (694 KB, 1880x2160) Image search: [Google]
2d greatness.jpg
694 KB, 1880x2160
Of the two great 2d controllers, do you have any preference for one in some kinds of games and the other for others?

I find the SNES's d-pad is stronger at games with only 4 directions as it snaps to them more precisely, well the Saturn rolls more easily for games that use 8 directions.
>>
>>2847420
Can they be used interchangeably?

No. That's why your thread sucks donkey cock
>>
>>2847420
For serious gaming, the Saturn pad is better in every way.
>>
>>2847420
Both are really great.
I just wish 8bitDo made a wireless saturn pad.
I still like the saturn one more.
>>
>>2847427
On PC they can.

I can use a six button controller with a USB connector and play SNES games with it, and the other way around.
>>
Saturn pad > 6 button Mega Drive pad > SNES pad
>>
>of the two great 2d controllers
>show snes controller
>not both Saturn model 1 + 2 controllers

You already fucked up OP :^)

Saturn model 2> Saturn model 1> SNES = Genesis 6 button> NES dogbone> NES> Genesis 3 button
>>
>>2847420
I hate the Jesus d-pad on the SNES.
>>
>>2847430

>serious gaming

Anyway, I like the Saturn model 2 pad for fighting games best, and SNES pad for platformers/2D action games
>>
Capcom didn't need to create an alternative button combination for the spinning piledriver on Sega's consoles. Nuff said.
>>
I prefer the 6 button mega drive pad to the second saturn one
>>
>>2847484
>Saturn model 1

How do you stand that D-pad?
>>
>>2847420
The SNES' d-pad is superior because it's not free floating
>>
>>2847587
baby hands detected
>>
>>2847420
The Saturn controller is worthless. I haven't had to hold one but I'm sure that's often cited as a part of why it failed.

The SNES controller though...timeless, I can use it for all my emulating needs, had the right amount of buttons in the right places and perfect shoulder buttons. The Saturn tried to play on that and came out with nasty shoulder buttons and kept the abysmal Genesis layout of buttons. It wasn't meant to be, the Saturn competing, and it was obvious from the time they made the controller. The Saturn controller and I would almost venture to say the console itself is basically a meme as >>2847430 displays, nothing more.

You would be right if you preferred the SNES controller alone but you decided to try and appease the shitty SEGA cult here.
>>
>>2847420
Saturn controller is ace.
Really, really nice stuff, biggest issue has to be the shoulder buttons being kind of naff (maybe it's just my Saturn pad being old, but the SNES controller has much nicer shoulders).

>>2847484
man, I wish there was a Model 1 Saturn controller with the Model 2 D-pad
also, I usually end up using the Model 1 controller when I play Virtual On, something about it's bulk makes it more satisfying (I wish I had the twin-sticks, but they're expensive)

the D-pad is pretty naff, a large part simply because of the poorly designed smooth pad itself rather than the underlying internals being poor (IIRC, the innards are pretty much the same between the US and JP style controllers), playing Galactic Attack with it is hell

>>2849138
>never used it
>says it's worthless
here's your (You)
>>
>Super Famicom
>Super Family Computer
Was any productivity software ever released for either the NES or the SNES, in Japan exclusively or otherwise?
>>
>>2847420
>Of the two great 2d controllers
Faggot
>>
>>2849194
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_BASIC

For some reason I'm thinking there may have also been a finances-type cart, but I could be and probably am completely wrong.
>>
>>2849138
Yeah man people are willing to pay up to $200 for some Saturn games not because they're actually really good but because they're just an ebin meme.
>>
>>2849201
There was a modem addon for the Famicom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_Modem) that let you trade stocks... it was primarily used for gambling on horse racing, though.
>>
>>2849359
Doesn't sound too different from the SNES fellow shitposter.
>>
>>2848895
>The SNES' d-pad is superior because it's not free floating
I'd say the opposite is true. I like both however.
>>
>>2849138
You have got to be a troll or a fucking manbaby that needs to grow the fuck up outta silly console war thinking. The model 2 saturn pad is literally the highest regarded and most sought after pad amongst shmup and 2d fighter players and for a very good reason. All i got from your post is you're a nintendo fan boy who only plays easy platformers and rpgs.
>>
SNES has better shoulder buttons.
Saturn pad has better everything else.
>>
What's good about the Snes controller exactly? The d-pad sucks, and it is very small.
>>
I highly prefer the Saturn. The D-Pad is simply perfect and it amazes me that neither Sony or Microsoft (especially Microsoft), jumped at ripping it off. Aren't the patents expired for it?

>>2849138

An expertly crafted bait. Your power level is far too strong to be from /v/

Where did you originate from friend? /fit/? /tv/?
>>
Frankly, Saturn all the way. I don't think there's any specific genre for which I'd pick a SNES pad over a Saturn one at all.
>>
File: config.png (278 KB, 1128x648) Image search: [Google]
config.png
278 KB, 1128x648
By the way, since I see a lot of people making a mistake (imo) when configuring emulators to play SNES games using a Saturn pad: don't do like on the left, do as on the right.
The Saturn pad still is missing a Select button (in that case, map to X or Z, whatever).
>>
Genesis 6-button layout for arcade games with many buttons and SEGA emulation
XBOX or PSX layout for anything else
>>
>>2849518
Good advice although for me it's more game-dependent. I basically assign by frequency of usage in the order of B, X, Y, A. Well that's not entirely true since I usually put jump on B and punch/attack on X if available even if it contradicts the frequency based priority idea.
>>
>>2849396
>not swapping the shoulder buttons with a Playsega.
>>
>>2848875
I actually LOVE the d-pad. The bulk doesn't bother me(although slimmer is better) but I'm not a huge fan of its shoulder triggers.

>>2849184
I always use my model 1s for fighters and the model 2 for practically everything else. Agree on wanting the twin sticks. I could of picked up a pair back in the 2000s for around $50 but oh no that was too high. I wanted to wait until the prices went down kek.
>>
The Saturn 3D pad is the single best controller I've ever held. At least for retro.
>>
>>2849026
are you one of those people that just clamps down on controllers
>>
>Genesis controller
>Great
pick one
>>
>>2849138
>I haven't had to hold one but I'm sure
KEK
>>
>>2847570
>>serious gaming

The name of the game that was posted as an image translates to "Segata Sanshiro - Serious Gaming".

So yeah. The Saturn pad is officially used for serious gaming.
>>
>>2849434

Maybe you have abnormally gargantuan hands?

Also the D-pad is pretty nice, maybe you tried a knock off? I know the chinese SNES pad clones have very shitty d-pads that are nothing like the real deal.

That said, I also really love the Saturn one, both are good for different reasons, sometimes I prefer something a bit firmer, and somethings I prefer something more squishy, depends on the genre.
>>
>>2849138
>I haven't had to hold on
then shut your mouth pleb
>>
>>2849396
>not liking microswitches

>>2849602
>he thinks counterfeit has good shoulder buttons

you're both retards
>>
>>2849858
No, and I appreciate the 6 button Genesis pad, ESPECIALLY when I was a kid but it really is quite small. The 2nd gen Saturn pad is everything the 6-button Genesis pad is and more plus normal-sized.
>>
File: IMG001.jpg (224 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG001.jpg
224 KB, 1280x960
>>2850031
but anon, it's what I did.
And THEY ARE better than the original saturn pad.
>>
File: gc.png (353 KB, 640x735) Image search: [Google]
gc.png
353 KB, 640x735
>>2849518
Alternatively, this mimics the gamecube layout
>>
File: 1448050963283.jpg (10 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1448050963283.jpg
10 KB, 323x323
>>2847420
The original Saturn pads were different they had a curvature which made them fit snugly into your hands.
>>
>>2849138
No one else is agreeing with you but this is objectively the correct answer. Shit taste shouldn't be welcome here, Sega died for a reason and gaming is all the better for it.
>>
>>2850708
>>2849138
Samefag, still being 12 and butthurt
>>
>>2847420
>includes the Saturn
>>
>>2850734
What's the issue? It's clear that for 2D games and no matter the console, these are indeed the two best controllers you can get.
>>
>>2847420
>includes the SNES
>>
>>2850758
Another hold out sega fag on /vr/. This place is infested with it, SEGA threads all day and anything Nintendo getting shit on.
>>
>>2850771
Are you blind, retarded or both? >>2850734
>>
>>2850728
dude I don't think its considered samefagging when its two different posts not related to each other.

you know on 4chan you are allowed to post more than once in a thread... right?
>>
>>2850774
And? It wasn't a good controller.
>>
File: neo_geo_cd_controller_48367.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
neo_geo_cd_controller_48367.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
Nintenyearolds and Segays get fucked.

SNK master race.
>>
>>2850784
>nobody can afford the console
>thus it's good
>>2850787
The reddit poster has arrived.
>>
File: Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Controller.jpg (3 MB, 3520x2480) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Controller.jpg
3 MB, 3520x2480
>>2850620
>The original Saturn pads were different they had a curvature which made them fit snugly into your hands.

These are the original Saturn pads. Only the colour is different.
>>
>>2850790
>Neo Geo CD
>unaffordable.
This retarded nintendrone is a lost cause.
>>
File: Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.jpg (784 KB, 4120x2280) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.jpg
784 KB, 4120x2280
>>2850795
The US and EU had different pads at release. They're said to be more fragile and to break easily, though the two I have still are fine.
>>
>>2850012
I have big hands, but I'm an adult male so that isn't out of the ordinary. I have two official Snes controllers and an official SF controller. The dpad has no diagonal space, it's just got four directions. That is just stupid.
>>
>>2850784
While I love the idea of it, I still have mixed feeling about using this stick in shmups and platformers. Sonic on NGPC was a bit weird to play for instance. I've yet to use one of these beasts on my computer and try Mario NES with it.
>>
>>2850816
>Neo Geo CD
>five thousand years of loading and generally being inferior to the cartridged Neo Geo in every way
do you even know what you're shilling
>>
Why aren't 6 button SEGA-style controllers more common? It's a good design, but for whatever reason Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all use four button controllers these days.
>>
>>2850835
I'm not shilling anything, i'm just gently letting you know that you are an ignorant faggot.
>>
>>2850838
I guess maybe they thought 6 buttons was too much/too complicated for a lot of people. That line of thinking lead to the Wii remote having one face button.
>>
>>2850838
Same reason Sega ultimately abandoned it with the DC, easier for your thumb to get "lost" on them and Fighting games are about the only genre that really benefits from six buttons lined up.
>>
>>2850838
4 buttons are more symmetrical, take less space on the face plate, more "simple" since you have one button for each cardinal direction. You can also press any two buttons simultaneously easier.

6 buttons are only more useful for Street Fighter.
>>
>>2850971
>thumb gets "lost"
Maybe it's just because I'm not a normie but I can't remember that ever being an issue. I navigated the 6button genesis controller and the Saturn controller just fine.
>>
>>2850971
Shame changing the controller didn't save them from being incompetent. Sega probably happened on the new button layout by dumb chance they had their heads so far up their asses.
>>
>>2851082
Could you please just go die in a fire instead of shitposting your nonsensical Sega hate all over the board?
>>
>>2851129
I've seriously never seen anyone as mad as this guy. He's going into every Sega related thread and complaining that Sega related threads exist. There's fanboyism and then there's whatever the hell this guy is. Mentally ill I guess.
>>
>>2851082
Why are you on a jihad against Sega?
>>
>>2851141
sega killed his family
>>
>>2851129
>>2851138
>>2851141
>>2851143
The circle jerk begins.
>>
File: sanwa_stick_black-md.jpg (24 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
sanwa_stick_black-md.jpg
24 KB, 480x480
The true perfect 2d movment control
>>
>>2851169
you proved that anything is better than being an autistic shitposter.
>>
>>2851138
>He's going into every Sega related thread and complaining that Sega related threads exist.

A year back he tried petitioning for a /sega/ board so all sega content can be banned from /vr/.
>>
>>2851175
Sticks need to travel too far to register movement. D-pads are much faster. So are controls where every direction is mapped to a button.
>>
>>2850935
I guess that makes sense. Gotta please the casuals. My mom thinks even Wii remotes are complicated.
>>
>>2850824
>The dpad has no diagonal space, it's just got four directions. That is just stupid.

It's not stupid, it's a design choice.

That's why I said I like both controllers for different reasons. The SNES d-pad is good if you want something firm, for example I find it nice to play platformers or action games with it, while the Saturn d-pad is more squishy, which is better for fighting games (well, it depends, some people prefer to use d-pads like the SNES or the PlayStation d-pad, I personally prefer the Saturn for fighters)
>>
>>2851246
>it's a design choice
Well, yeah there's that, and there's also Nintendo re-using its d-pad patents so they don't expire.
>>
>>2850775
>one anon suspiciously agreeing with an objectively retarded post which everyone else is shitting on
Probably samefag.
>>
>>2851175
Honestly hate arcade sticks to be honest senpai desu
D-pad is much faster, cleaner and more precise.
>>
>>2852698
Anatomically speaking, the wrist and forearm can be moved much more quickly and accurately than individual fingers and thumbs. Try moving your thumb from neutral to the various directions in a small sized area. Then try moving your entire hand in a near fist in the various directions on a bit larger scale. Which is faster, less awkward, and more responsive and accurate?

The joystick is more intuitive with the human mind. To move in a direction, a player just has to push the stick in the desired direction like they are nudging something where they want it to go, and then quickly push it in another direction to move elsewhere. On a control pad, it’s about pushing down a certain arrow or pair of arrows to get the appropriate direction, and pivoting or sliding or regripping the thumb around to change to a new direction, unintuitively pressing down into the controller. In time-sensitive games, the control pad does not perform as well as the joystick.
>>
>>2852698
>>2852714

d-pad vs stick... is this the genesis of a new /vr/ shitposting habit?
>>
File: 67084.jpg (23 KB, 400x383) Image search: [Google]
67084.jpg
23 KB, 400x383
>>2850784
Better
>>
>>2850784
>>2852757

Eww. Are you guys serious? There were fucking computer controllers more appealing and comfortable looking than those.
I'll never understand you neogeofags, you're certainly some unique sperglord specimens, probably the biggest autists in retro gaming.
>>
>>2852714
I mean that the big joysticks and arcade sticks I've tried, they're all big clunky things that take more time to move.

I much more prefer a good D-pad or analog stick because they are fast to move and with little effort.
We had an NES Advantage, and while it was a big cool piece of kit and had turbo buttons, the big stick was clumsy and awkward, you'd slide all over the place and get imprecise input in any sidescroller I played it with.
>>
>>2852767
They gotta justify spending all that money somehow.
>>
>>2852768
Most sticks at the arcade are shot. Try a new Hori Hayabusa, and you might change your mind. Also, the NES Advantage is not a good comparison; it's a terrible arcade stick. I do prefer a D-pad, but, ultimately, someone who knows what they're doing on a stick is going to be way faster and more efficient.
>>
>>2852772
Aah, not that inclined to spend a bunch of money on something I never really liked.

I just bought a wireless "half-gamepad" with an analog stick, that's meant to be paired with a mouse, combing two things I like, the precision of a mouse and the precison of a modern console analog stick.

I don't play many fightan games, and really not seriously, so a proper arcade stick would be a poor investment on me.
>>
>>2852714
>Try moving your thumb from neutral to the various directions in a small sized area. Then try moving your entire hand in a near fist in the various directions on a bit larger scale. Which is faster, less awkward, and more responsive and accurate?

For the stick you have to move your entire forearm and even possibly change how your hand is holding the stick, for it to be maximum comfy and to be able to react on your next movement change precisely.

D-pad requires you to move 1 thumb for the same. At the very least, sticks are more physically demanding, so more tiring to use for longer times.

As for accuracy, ultimately whichever you are more used to will be more accurate. I grew up with d-pads, so sticks are extremely difficult to use for me. Until I installed an 8-way gate, I couldn't even do an arc motion in shmups.

And you should also remember that not all games are designed for sticks. That is, some games may require you to do motions which are easier to do on a d-pad, but more challenging on a stick. The reverse is also true of course (Virtua Fighter was suddenly much easier to control with a stick, even though I suck with sticks).

tl:dr; both sticks and d-pads are equally great, and any argument regarding which one is better is either subjective or straight up bullshit.
>>
>>2852767
Why so mean over video games?
>>
>>2852789
What is this 'half-gamepad'?
>>
>>2852815
It's called a FragChuck (that's the brand name anyway), imagine the left side only of a gamepad.

You use your mouse in your right hand like normal, and then you use the 'chuck' in your left hand in place of the keyboard, the chuck has an analog thumb-stick like a modern gamepad, you can click it like on a Dualshock, it also has a D-pad, two face buttons, and three shoulder/trigger buttons.

Dpad and face buttons are ok, thumbstick is not bad, a bit stiffer than I'd like, but it's responsive and has a nice shape and surface, you'll get a good grip on it.
The shoulder buttons are awful, mushy, spongey, too long travel, really the worst. They're kind of too wide and "wobbly"

It plays Doom incredibly well, once you get used to it, you can move fantastically smooth and precise. Unlike the WASD keys or a Dpad, you get true 360 movement.

Overrall, it's a 10/10 idea with a 6/10 execution.
I'd want better shoulder buttons, two more face buttons, slighlty less stiff stick, and maybe a scroll wheel on the side which you could click.

I really like the concept, and wish the idea would gain traction, but right now only one company that I know of make products like these (for the PC, X360 and PS3).

I haven't tried emulating old console games with it (I have a regular gamepad for that), but it's probably fine for NES, Master System and Gameboy.
>>
>>2852757
That Dpad honestly doesn't look good.
>>
>>2850049
No, they're not.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.