[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been playing through the Castlevania series lately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Dracula's Curse.jpg (376 KB, 1017x800) Image search: [Google]
Dracula's Curse.jpg
376 KB, 1017x800
I've been playing through the Castlevania series lately and I've made it to Castlevania 3. I know the NTSC version was changed somewhat from the original Japanese version, so I was wondering what your guys' opinion was. Should I seek out the Japanese version, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on a good translation?
>>
>>2846563
>the NTSC version was changed somewhat from the original Japanese version,

Japanese version is NTSC, though.
>>
>>2846563
>I know the NTSC version was changed somewhat from the original Japanese version
Japan is NTSC. If you mean "North American" then fucking say North American.
>>
>>2846563
>NSTC
Do you mean America specifically?
>>
JP version is infintely better due to the music alone.
>>
>>2846563

FYI, Japan and North America are both NTSC. To differentiate the two regions, developers use NTSC-U (U.S) and NTSC-J (Japan)

As for the differences between the two versions, I believe it boils down to typical Nintendo censorship and changes to the soundtrack to accommodate the NES not having as many sound channels as the FDS.

Should you play the Japanese version? Preferably. Censorship is senseless.
>>
I meant the American version, yes. Calm down everyone.
>>
>>2846583
>>2846563
There were also some changes to enemy damage and Grant's throwing daggers in the North American release.
>>
>>2846592
Also, more diffucult subweapon placement in the NA version.
>>
Isnt the US version more difficult?
>>
What was the reason companies made different versions for different regions? I can understand censorship but why change core gameplay?
>>
>>2846585
get out.
>>
>>2846583
AD is a regular FC game, the FDS had already fallen out of favor as the growth of cartridge storage and expansion chips inside cartridges far outclassed the hardware/utility of the disks. That being said, it has a custom Konami enhancement chip on the board that adds the extra sound channels and enhanced graphical capabilities, more so than the FDS ever offered.
>>
>>2846563

I just looked on some website to learn the differences... they mostly come down to censorship, music, and difficulty. The censorship is dumb but minor. The music is more sophisticated in the Japanese version, but it also has a cheesy, buzzy synth sound that sounds like crap to some of us. Relatively I mean... it's a good soundtrack in either version, really. The difficulty is said to be higher in the non-Japanese version, for various reasons.

I've played the NES version and I liked it a lot. I found it to be appropriately challenging and I enjoyed the music. It's a good version of the game. The Japanese version is probably good too. Pick whichever one you want.
>>
File: CV3_Guide_Grant.jpg (20 KB, 388x437) Image search: [Google]
CV3_Guide_Grant.jpg
20 KB, 388x437
If you plan on playing as Grant, for god's sake don't play the NA version. In the japanese version, he has an unlimited supply of throwing knives as his main weapon, but in the American one, he just goes around stabbing things with his dagger. Odd that they decided to change him like this, he's way more of a pain in the ass because of this change.
>>
>>2846669
>I can understand censorship

No. Just no.
>>
>>2846853
He didn't say he agrees with censorship, just that he recognizes the thought process that would lead someone to do it.
>>
>>2846669
To prevent players from beating it with a rental, so you'd have to stick to it for a long time, causing you to buy it. At least that was the theory.
>>
Jap version is uncensored, has better music, and better balanced difficulty.
>>
Get the Japanese version. It even has a fan translation, so you can enjoy the superior gameplay and music AND the story at the same time.
>>
>>2847515
>better balanced difficulty.
I don't mind taking more damage the farther you get like in CV1, but I want to slap the asshole who decided the NA version should replace 70% of the Crosses and Holy Water with daggers.
>>
>>2846707
Japanese Grant is OP. Best weapon *and* best mobility. Why would you play anybody else?
>>
>>2847525
How is the gameplay different?
>>
>>2847632
Read the thread
>>
>>2846583
>censorship is censless
>>
>>2846578
Rising is better in the American version though.

Those 8-bit arpeggios are sweet.
>>
>>2846578
>JP version is infintely better due to the music alone.

I prefer the NA music
>>
Just listened to both OST's, and damn is the difference staggering. The Japanese version of the soundtrack is incredible, especially for being on the fucking NES. Can't believe we filthy westerners missed out on this.
>>
I never found the Japanese music all that much better. The difference is significant and it's there, but it's not enough for me to say "Darn I wish I had that!" I don't care about Grant being nerfed because I usually only play as Trevor anyway. I sort of prefer the more punishing difficulty, but I can understand why someone may not. Most of the differences are negligible.

The only big thing is the music unless you find the Western version too hard.
>>
>>2847962

Or the Japanese version too easy.

Yeah it's weird to see people saying the music is "better" in the Japanese version without bothering to justify themselves, like that's just the default, to think that a more complex instrument set automatically improves music quality. Like yeah if only my favorite punk album were played by the world's finest orchestra so that it wouldn't be so simple and crude. And if only their bassist could change his guitar so that it would sound more like a series of weird, dry farts.
>>
>>2848049
>>Yeah it's weird to see people saying the music is "better" in the Japanese version without bothering to justify themselves, like that's just the default,
What the hell do you want? A mathematical proof that shows the Japanese music is better? People are just posting their opinions. I don't see YOU giving any justification for the English music being better.
>>
>>2846563
Japanese is almost the same game. Look here:
>Some music is better, some music is not.
>Few minor changes like statues (who cares ?)
>Grant has throwing knifes. He finally can be useful, but nobody care about it, because "EVERYBODY LOVES GRUNT".
>>
>>2848049
The composition's naturally the same, but it's a no-brainer that the Japanese version is of much higher quality. It took 8-bit music to something closer to 16-bit, all thanks to one little extra chip in the cartridge. The western soundtrack was a gimped version of something greater, and that's an undeniable fact. It can't be blamed on the west that the NES was inferior to the Famicom, but that doesn't change that it was the lesser product of the two.
>>
>>2847613
Because Sypha with the right subweapon wrecks bosses in seconds. It's about that mobility vs raw devastation. There's really no reason to ever play Alucard though. Trash weapon, trash mobility.
>>
>>2847881
it's so pussy compared to the FC
>>
>>2848049
It's literally better in every way. The compositions were written specifically for the extra sound channels, therefore the US version is literally lacking large portions of the composition. The NES versions are compromised covers on inferior hardware.
>>
>>2847881
Me too.
>>
>>2848062
Calm down oh sperglord of the Pacific, when you say the music is better why not give an example why and help someone see why you formed that "opinion" instead of sounding like you are parroting others.
That's all we mean, I don't see a big enough difference myself to care really, but others might.
>>
>>2848238
Not him, but you could have looked it up yourself like everyone else, instead of starting shit. Here you go, man. Now chill.

JP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqyoTvZ5cOE

US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3xvjofK7k

NES version is very standard for its system, while the FC exceeds its limitations. It's a simple equation. It's -technically- superior. Whether you like it better or not just comes down to taste and what you were personally exposed to throughout life. I like the American version a lot too, but that's because I grew up with it, and thus feel fond of it. However, I can't argue that the Japanese version is a greater feat, and I would most likely prefer that instead if I had grown up with it the same way.
>>
File: brazzers wwf.jpg (49 KB, 478x567) Image search: [Google]
brazzers wwf.jpg
49 KB, 478x567
>>2846707
He's still the best in US version. You just climb walls and no one touches you. Swich to Trevor for boss fights. I was 10 when I figured it out.
>>
This. Grant is still quite useful in the localized version. Even without throwing, his dagger comes out very quickly, and can be spamed. And since it stuns enemies, you can usually just rapid fire them to death. Lastly, he can still duck under stuff no one else can.
>>
>>2846572
''technically'' it's NTSC-J, which has slightly different color.
>>
>>2848280
damned nes copy is like a speaker submerged in water; fucking bass overload
>>
>>2848280
I have played both, I prefer the nes personally.
I said it so maybe you could help convince others not me. I find the nes one better.
>>
Play the American and the Japanese version, it's a great game, definitely my favorite Castlevania.

As for a translation patch, I think the Vice translation is the only one.
>>
Is there any reason why the Japanese soundtrack is so much longer?
Was the game more expansive in the east, or did they just have more song variety?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.