[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rare 3D Platformers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: rareware.jpg (22 KB, 233x300) Image search: [Google]
rareware.jpg
22 KB, 233x300
In which we mourn the passing of a golden age.

>Banjo Kazooie
>Banjo Tooie
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Donkey Kong 64

They deserved a better fate than becoming Microsoft's bitch, /vr/.
>>
>Banjo Kazooie
>Banjo Tooie
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Donkey Kong 64

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
I generally agree, but I also lament all of Rare's less-talked about series. They always did something different and interesting, and generally good quality.

I wouldn't be AS pissed about them moving to Microsoft, I mean they are a business after all and had to do what was best for them, but I wish they continued doing interesting stuff. IMO most of their recent stuff felt kinda half assed. Not even counting their kinect shovelware bullshit.
>>
>>2846313
Go back to /b/
>>
>>2846297

Eh, I didn't particularly like those games.
>>
>>2846297
They got worse the more they stuck around and couldn't fucking finish a game on time ever
>>
Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo Tooie were shit, but the rest of Rare's platformers were pretty great.
>>
>>2846364
Which ones got delayed again? I know that Conker got delayed because they pretty much remade the game to be more adult oriented and pretty much everyone and their mother knows what happened to Dinosaur Planet by now.
>>
>>2846374
Why do you think that? Liking DK64 but not Banjo-Tooie seems odd.
>>
>>2846383
Goldeneye got delayed
Tooie was released unfinished
And obviously DK64 was padded the fuck out
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (194 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
194 KB, 1280x720
>>2846297
Grabbed By The Ghoulies was among the greatest games of all time.
You see, I see gaming as being divided into two different eras; Pre-Grabbed By The Ghoulies and Post-Grabbed By The Ghoulies.
You see, before the absolute masterstroke that was Grabbed By The Ghoulies, games simply could not be percieved as art, they lacked the level of psychological depth and immersion that that game reached. Just look around at the games typically discussed here on this very board. They are all unfortunately relics that should not be played by a serious connoisseur of modern interactive art.
Rare was simply dreadful before Ghoulies, as well as after, but sometimes, absolute fools can create the perfect piece of art, and ghoulies was one such example.

unfortunately, it was too perfect, and since then gaming has regressed, and has become so weakened that the rising tide of the fucking SJW's has effectively neutered our fine industry.
Truly the false flagging "ANTI GAMERGATE FEMINISTS" and "HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS" have ruined any chance of another Grabbed By The Ghoulies.
Simply put, the world has not been the same, and that is why I am now a pure nihilist.
>>
>>2846313
This anon gets it, completely overrated games because of "muh childhood". I'm glad people know Rare is shit now.
>>
>>2846390
I'd say DK64 being sent out with a bug that causes the game to randomly crash if played without the expansion pak was a bigger deal than the game simply being padded out.
>>
File: rarerip.png (446 KB, 3732x1720) Image search: [Google]
rarerip.png
446 KB, 3732x1720
Rip in piece, based Rare.
>>
>>2846412
This must be heart-wrenching for fans of Rare and Banjo games.
>>
>>2846394
>You see, I see X as being divided into two different eras; Pre-Y and Post-Y.

I hate faggots who do this shit. You can smell the pseudo-intelectuality coming through the screen. Quit jerking yourself off.
>>
>>2846417
It should be heart wrenching for anyone since all that work and excitement went down the drain because of corporate apathy.
>>
>>2846412
I pray to satan and whatever higher powers that be let karma destroy the shit out of Microsoft, thankfully Linux seems to be doing a good enough job of that.
>>
>>2846454
>thankfully Linux seems to be doing a good enough job of that
People will believe whatever they choose to believe, I guess.
>>
>>2846432
I never played the banjo games and this makes me so upset.

I bet it would have sold well too. Great game design usually does well in any "climate".
>>
>>2846297
Even though you learned of Rare from Rare Replay, you still belong on /v/.
>>
Between boring collectathons and Donkey Kong Country, Rare might be the most overrated developers of all time.

Jet Force Gemini is good though.
>>
>>2846502
Why is this game not that popular? When it came it seemed obscure to me, and it's rarely talked about on /vr/.
It's one of the best games I had growing up between my Genesis and N64
>>
>>2846458

He uses Linux and enjoys it, you can't reason with such a person.

>>2846494

It's Microsoft. Nothing good can come from involvement with them.
>>
>>2846297
All Rare platformers fucking suck.

banjo sucks.

conker sucks.

DK64 is one of the worst games of all time.
>>
>>2846494
I'd be astounded if the Microsoft guys that visited them even knew what Banjo-Kazooie was. That they didn't even refer to Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero by name is pretty telling.

On that note, both of those games should have been delayed. PDZ especially.

>>2846509
I imagine that having to free all the Tribals to beat the game pisses off the collectathon haters a lot.
>>
>>2846543

Perfect Dark Zero is the reason we don't have more than one.

Fuckers.
>>
>>2846547
yeah thats the thing with rushing out sequels is that it can kill a series.

goddamnit michealsoft
>>
File: JFG_o.jpg (206 KB, 1910x904) Image search: [Google]
JFG_o.jpg
206 KB, 1910x904
Jet Force Gemini needs a sequel more than anything.
>>
>>2846432
What's weird is that they didn't want Rare to make another BK platformer but they've re-released BK and BT twice now, so they know it's still popular and people still want more.
>>
>>2846609

It's not weird at all. You forget that the modern corporation is all about minimal effort for maximum cash.

They're bloated financial ticks.
>>
>>2846607
haha that looks hilarious but I agree w/ you. I feel like it would do well today actually. JFG was ahead of its time imo.

did you make that?
>>
>>2846609
Why do that when you can just bank on nostalgia for almost no cost?

Anyway, if Yooka-Laylee won't get their butts in gear then nothing ever will.
>>
>>2846684
>did you make that?
No, it's from a fan sequel being developed by two German guys. It's doesn't look very good but I applaud them for trying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nSn3hzrr8
>>
>>2846297

I found those games to have very slow pacing. Mario 64 isn't much better. Mario's character movement is better, but everything else is just too slow. I wish more games took lessons from Crash Bandicoot when it comes to pacing in 3D platformers. Maybe they wouldn't have died out then.
>>
>>2846315

Of course, when pure business tries to get video games out of passionate dev teams, motivation goes out the window.
>>
>>2846412
Man I never even played a Banjo game and this is soul crushing
>>
You retards don't understand, do you?
Most of the key figures had left by the time Microsoft bought them.
Microsoft gave them MULTIPLE chances to make a good game. The first game they shit out? Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Fuck off Nintendobabies.
>>
>>2846645

So never mind the fact that Banjo-Threeie was nearly complete. That sure wasn't a waste of time and money to cancel.
>>
>>2846502
>Rare might be the most overrated developers of all time.

They're one of the few developers aside from Nintendo themselves to make successful games in a huge range of genres.
>>
>>2847027
Back to /v/.
>>
>>2847015
Nah, even Crash died. People just became burned out on 3D platformers.
>>
>>2847132

Crash died for different reasons, and people wouldn't become burned out on 3D platformers if devs didn't run out of ideas.
>>
>>2846509

DKC, especially the second one, is easily one of the greatest works of art in game history. Gets a lot of love here.
>>
>>2846297
>Beetlejuice for NES
>Who Framed Roger Rabbit for NES
>Nightmare on Elm Street for NES

I'm glad Rare is dead. Started as shit developers, ended as shit developers and were horrible sellouts throughout.
>>
>>2846410

Wasn't DK64 sold with an expansion pak included anyway? Besides, who the hell had an N64 without an expansion pak anyway?
>>
>>2847032

Not their money. In modern times "subsidiary" simply means "vassal".

...What, you didn't know? We're re-inventing Feudalism.
>>
>>2847802
Nightmare wasn't that bad...
>>
>>2848120
It probably had one of the best soundtracks of any NES game at least.
>>
>>2846313
>>2846361
>>2846364
>>2846374
>>2846502
>>2846531
christ you children need to go
>>
>>2848258
I'm 26, I only had an N64 at the time and I have a lot of nostalgia for Rare's games, but come on. Wondering around collecting edless shiny objects is not good game design.
>>
>>2846418
>he doesn't recognize obvious pasta
>he gets angry at obvious pasta

Kill yourself
>>
>>2848272
Sonic CD fans would beg to differ.
>>
>>2848282
Yes i would.
>>
>>2848272
Ironically, the only N64 Rare game where collecting all of a certain item is required to beat the game is the one that nobody ever seems to complain about.
>>
>>2848290
Goldeneye?
>>
>>2848298
Nah, I was talking about Jetforce Gemini. Admittedly, I haven't played Goldeneye in fifteen years.
>>
File: sBDd3Ju.jpg (49 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
sBDd3Ju.jpg
49 KB, 480x480
>>2848274
>>
>>2846531
The N64 sucked usually. All I recall playing was: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Star Fox, Majora's Mask,and the Star Wars Pod Racer game. I really didn't like straying too far from those, and after seeing how much worse Vigilante 8 was on N64 than on Playstation, on top of wanting to play Resident Evil and FF, I had to make the switch. Got a PS1
>>
>>2846297

You call that a golden age? When the Playstation gobbled up all the RPGs after Nintendo fucked them over on collaborating to make a console and then making their hardware difficult to develop for, scaring away virtually all the good third party companies? That's bullshit, man. I got an N64 when I was six and all I think of when I remember that now is how I should have instead played Valkyrie Chronicle or virtually anything else over 3D platformers with no sense of speed, skill or urgency that were padded as fuck.
>>
>>2848993

I don't even like platformers and enjoyed Rare's N64 offerings. You're fucked in the head.
>>
so why was rare axed by nintendo? they pretty much kept the n64 afloat
>>
>>2849006

Nintendo were a bunch of assholes who decided Rare's inability to keep deadlines outweighed the fact they did them a solid when Rare could've easily jumped ship with Square.

I hear the Stop n' Swap thing also caused lingering resentment.
>>
>>2849014
what do deadlines matter when every game rare shat out at the time was guaranteed to go platinum?

not many developers could boast that
>>
>>2848993
>this is what RPGfags actually believe
Don't have time for your bullshit, too busy enjoying actually fun games like Ban Joe.
>>
>>2849017

From what I hear, the Japanese are _super_ anal about things like budgets, deadlines, etc.

They're pretty much as HAIL CORPORATE! as you can get.
>>
>>2848998

Super Mario 64 is a legitimate platformer because there's only one thing to do - get the stars. And you didn't even have to get them in order, so even if you were covering familiar ground, you could still get to where you needed to be fast enough. And the controls supported that - Mario's a blur compared to the speed of Banjo, Conker or DK, and his moves allow you to feel like you could do anything, whereas in Rare's games you needed temporary powerups or needed to collect ammo of an item to do something. So goddamned tedious. And again, padded. DK 64 wants you to collect bananas for EACH of the five characters, and then has switches that only one of the five kongs could break, etc. Always with the collecting. Mario 64's not as long, but what's there is solid.
>>
>>2849030

Oh, you're the "LEGITIMATE PLATFOMAR!!!!!111" faggot.

Yeah, not gonna argue with ya, guy. You're a bit ill.
>>
>>2849014
Not easy to jump ship when you're pretty much owned by them unless you have a thing for lawsuits.

Also, it seems a little hypocritical when they couldn't even get the N64DD out on time.
>>
>>2849082

Rare was a second party dev. Therefore not owned by them.
>>
>>2849030
Mario 64 was garbage. Why would you play a game that sends you back to the hub world after every time you collect an important item?

Also, worst fucking camera system ever.
>>
>>2851342
Wasn't it one of the first 3D platformers to even have a controllable camera?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.