[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the hardest game you ever beat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: wizardry1-1.jpg (33 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
wizardry1-1.jpg
33 KB, 640x400
What's the hardest game you ever beat?
>>
Kirby's Dream Land.
>>
1ALL DoDonPachi or DS version of Final Fantasy IV
>>
>>2846284
That might be the worst Wizardry party I have ever seen. I can see how it would make the game difficult, but come on now.
>>
Dunno, but recently i 1cc'd D&D Tower of Doom, it was a cool challenge.
>>
>>2846284
SkiFree
>>
Final Fantasy II
>>
>>2846284
Blood, that game does in NO way fuck around.
>>
>>2846284
Wrong Wizardry son.
>>
>>2847563
As if anyone on /vr/ could beat Wizardry 4 without help.
>>
>>2847568
I took it up again last week and it's as insanely difficult as I remembered, I'm trying to go by memory but the ninth floor is already raping me, I fear I also forgot a lot of the riddles and puzzles, been almost a decade since I last played it.
>>
>>2846284
Captain Blood.
>>
>>2846284
Counting /vr/ only, either Espgaluda, DoDonPachi (1ALL) or Nethack.

Other "difficult" games eg. Ninja Gaiden, Ecco the Dolphin, TFTD (Ironman Superhuman), took much less effort than these.
>>
>>2846347
Isn't the right way to beat Wizardry to exp 2 parties simultaneously and have one bail out the other if the other one dies?

That's how CRPGAddict had beaten it
>>
>>2847640
The best way to beat Wizardry is to farm Murphy's ghost until you get to level 13 then run to Werdna on floor 10 like a madman and blitz him.
>>
>>2847651
the best way to beat Wizardry is to play it on the PSX
>>
>>2847661
Well, that's objectively true, the two Llylgamyn anthologies on PSX are the best versions of the games available.
>>
>>2847640
And what do you do when the relief party dies as well? You should generally try to avoid getting your party wiped out in the first place.
You're nominally supposed to run 2 parties for Wizardry 3 since there are floors that evil characters can't enter and floors good characters can't enter. Most people would just use mostly neutral characters and swap clerics.
>>
>>2846284
Probably I wanna be the guy.

One could argue whether its "hard" or just pure memorization and grinding attempts.

I actually just ordered Battle Kid 1 and 2 from Retrousb as a Christmas present to myself, so we'll see how that goes.
>>
>>2847665
What about the S Famicom version? What does the PSX one have over it?
>>
>>2847737
The SFC has the option to use the hide feature from Wizardry 5 which makes thieves more useful.
And you can use the Dumapic spell to give you a map instead of your coordinates while the PS1 either it's the choice for an automap.
The order of the games is mixed up but that's not that much of a difference. The cartridge nature of the SFC means you can't interchange characters with 5 etc.
Graphics, sound and controls are also somewhat different. Overall it's going to be a matter of personal preference.

>>2847651
You should just cheat yourself a party if all you care about it killing Werdna. Or watch a video of somebody doing it.
>>
File: yellow-devil-mega-man.jpg (123 KB, 900x673) Image search: [Google]
yellow-devil-mega-man.jpg
123 KB, 900x673
>>2846284
Mega Man. I played it on the anniversary collection too, so I couldn't do the glitch to kill this bastard quicker.
>>
>>2847757
So wait, the hide feature isn't even in the normal trilogy? Do thieves have any use but to be trap fodder or become ninjas?
>>
>>2847808
The only advantage thieves have to becoming ninjas is one magic item.
Disarming traps is the only thing they're good for. At least they aren't made superfluous by a spell or completely suck at that one job like in other games.
You can place them in the front row so they're slightly less useless in combat than in the back row but that causes it's own problems.
>>
>>2846284
Doom 2, UV, Chainsaw-only.

Also 100% every God of War game on max difficulty, plus all challenges.
>>
File: FE5.006.png (50 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
FE5.006.png
50 KB, 256x224
Fire emblem thracia 776
>>
The original Castlevania on NES, both normal and on hard.
>>
>>2847857
Did this game ever get a better translation patch?
>>
I've buster only'd (excluding sections that require weapons, ie rush jet parts or crash bombs in wily stage 4 of MM2), no e-tanks every mega man game. I'd say 7 was the hardest to do that on simply because the final boss is the hardest in the series.

Those games are a cakewalk using weapons and e-tanks though. So not counting self-imposed restrictions? Probably Frogger: He's Back on PS1. Not even joking, that game is fucking brutal
>>
>>2847760
>I played it on the anniversary collection too, so I couldn't do the glitch

it still works in anniversary collection. you just use the LB button to pause instead of select.
>>
>>2847859
What the hell are you talking about? Castlevania 1 isn't even the hardest Castlevania game, let alone the hardest NES game. And there was only one difficulty mode. Unless you're talking about the Japanese cart RE-release which is a far cry from "the original"
>>
>>2847760
I'm sorry you're too retarded to figure out how to beat a boss with an extremely predictable pattern and have to resort to fucking cheating. Why even bother playing the game? Just go find a code that skips to the credits and you can say you beat it.
>>
>>2846284
Ultima 1 with no strength stat upgrades
>>
Is Ultima 1 on the Famicom worth playing? Or should I switch to another version? I don't care about the graphics that much and already got the cart
>>
>>2848820
First Famicom Ultima is Ultima III: Exodus (and later, U4:Quest of the Avatar and U5: Warriors of Destiny), not Ultima I. And it's pretty good although AppleII (and to a lesser extent DOS) will always be better.
>>
>>2848838
Shit I meant first famicom Wizardry, I'm retarded
>>
Silver Surfer for NES

Also beat NES Contra without dying, using only the peashooter.

Beat all the classic series Mega Man games too, but I don't really consider them "hard" anymore.
>>
File: 6f8.png (247 KB, 760x572) Image search: [Google]
6f8.png
247 KB, 760x572
>>2848861
>>
>>2847853
How do you beat the last boss with only a chainsaw? It's physically impossible to reach him unless you cheat.
>>
File: Wizardry 7 Full Color.png (1 MB, 4681x3311) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry 7 Full Color.png
1 MB, 4681x3311
>>2847665
but those never came stateside did they?
>>
>>2848897
Which part?
Because other than "good retro gamers are a dime a dozen, so my claims are perfectly plausible," I guess I could provide proof if necessary.
>>
>>2848861
bootsy please go
>>
>>2848951
USA only got Apple II, C64, IBM and (S)NES for Wizardry 1-5.
But all Japanese versions except the PCE-CD come with an English option.
>>
>>2849238
Not Bootsy, so I'll stay.

I haven't beaten Battletoads. I haven't even given it an honest try in ages.
>>
Ninja Gaiden II.
Fuck the birds.
>>
Some of the Mega Man games. Love me some Mega Man.
>>
Any other gloating bros wanna get in on this?
>>
>>2848112
no, he's referring to the hard mode that you get if you play the game a second time after beating it once.

at least I'm pretty sure CV1 does that
>>
>>2848845
I'd play another version, something tells me you won't be able to transfer parties from the first game to the 2nd and 3rd.
>>
NES Batman

That was a heck of a weekend.
>>
First ascension in Nethack was with a vegetarian weaponless armorless genoless polyselfless artifact-wishless etc. etc. monk.
Took about five years of on-and-off YASDs.

Next attempt was a full-geno wizard with an AC of -80 after a protection racket / madman pudding farm session, and a ton of different artifacts and all sorts of other nice shit.
But I managed to stone myself with a cockatrice corpse while farming one of the Gehenna bosses after a succubus talked me out of my gloves. Haven't played since.
>>
>>2851370
Kudos to you, dude.

I can get to the last boss room, but needing to trudge through that last level every damn time usually takes the wind out of my sails before I actually win.

One of these days tho...
>>
>>2851454
The levels aren't THAT hard (annoying wall jump mechanics aside). The final boss however is a cheap motherfucker, his second pattern is really unintuitive and there is only one way to kill him.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
>>2846284
>>
Really thought-out level design. It's quite amusing.
>>
>>2852415
You also did all the Secret worlds?
I guess not, so try again.
>>
>>2852441
Hurr
>>
>>2851454
took me forever but I got to the point that I could clear the gear wallclimb with only a point or two of damage.

I also used turbo to feed life points off of the enemy spawners, because that is what they're for but damn if I was gonna ruin my hand mashing B in that game
>>
This evil game.

Great soundtrack though, highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ChAFkLl3jM
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.