[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SGI IRIX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: SGI-onyx.jpg (310 KB, 1772x1904) Image search: [Google]
SGI-onyx.jpg
310 KB, 1772x1904
Hello folks.

Who know, there can download software?

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16723664
>>
Gonna need a little more context, OP. What's that thing? What software?
>>
/g/ will probably be more useful with Silicon Graphics computers.
>>
>>2846113
It's an old Silicon Graphics computer, these things were MIPS based and ran a proprietary derivative of UNIX called IRIX.

We're gonna need more information on what exactly you're after OP. If you're looking for IRIX you can try this:
https://winworldpc.com/product/irix

If you're looking for games for IRIX you might have a hard time finding them. One of the BSDs like NetBSD or OpenBSD would be your best bet.
>>
>>2846291
OpenBSD might actually be a good choice if there's a port for it.

Most NetBSD ports are considered good enough if they just boot.

OpenBSD ports aren't considered good enough until they can boot Xorg.
>>
File: irix-6.5-img1.gif (246 KB, 1278x1022) Image search: [Google]
irix-6.5-img1.gif
246 KB, 1278x1022
/g/ I consider my home board, but has been shit as of late, and come here every now and again.

That is a Silicon Graphics workstation, based on a MIPS-architecture CPU like that of the PSX and N64. There was a special N64 SDK developed for these systems early on, and even an In-Circuit Emulator (a hardware development board) that could connect to these to develop and test ROMs for N64 cartridges.

These machines were not really for gaming, although there were a small set of games release along IRIX demo discs, they were more just for technical demonstration purposes. IRIX is the Operating System these machines ran, a Unix-like system, similar to that of BSD or Solaris.

One of the main purposes of these machines was for 3D modeling and rendering. Most of the prerendered stuff you saw in games in the mid to late 90s were likely dones using these machines, running Lightwave, Alias|Wavefront, Autodesk, or early versions of Maya.

The demos on this video and some of the ones in the related videos are available on the discs. These used a graphics API called IRIS Performer, a predecessor to what we now call OpenGL.

Also, more info here: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgi.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45nbzMLk98
>>
>>2846296
>OpenBSD might actually be a good choice if there's a port for it.
I wasn't entirely sure if there was an active port of OpenBSD to SGI hardware but after checking their ftp server there is an active SGI port there. OpenBSD devs maintain all of their ports as "tier 1" because they use exotic hardware to shake bugs loose.
>>
I would not mind one of those, along with a NEXT. Oldish computers are always fun.
>>
>>2846326
Ah so that's what it was, port tiers.

Yeah, OpenBSD is a good choice then.
>>
I want download all CD's, not buy of course.

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Media_Product_Numbers
>>
>>2846306
I guess if people want to try their hand at developing games on SGI hardware they could always just try programming for the N64, since that's literally what it is. Every part of the system is SGI - CPU is MIPS which SGI eventually bought, GPU is an SGI original, and the RAM is RDRAM which SGI owned shares in.

The GPU (Reality Co-Processor) is really just an SGI geometry processor and rasterizer shrunken down into a single small chip. And the language you program it in is similar to IRIS.
>>
>>2848035
Aside from the winworldpc site I don't know where you can find IRIX software.

This site has the documents and manuals from there:
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/sgi/
>>
>>2846031
Why? Just get a fucking Intel machine and get 10-30x the performance with either a 20 dollar CPU or a 200 CPU, your choice. Pop on linux with Motif Window Manager for that shitty GUI garbage IRIX uses or the 5dwm.org maxx desktop which is IRIX's desktop ported to Linux. You get more software support that way and can use all modern shit. It'll also be cheaper on your bill since your machine will use between 200-500 watts rather than the 2000+ watts you'll be blowing away on your electricity bill for near identical experience minus the disappointment of it being shitty as fuck and having nothing to run with it. It'll still be awful, but significantly less so.
>>
>>2848149
who let /v/ in?
>>
>>2848149
Intel machines are botnet, anon.
All new hardware is full of microcode and there are even proven ring -2 exploits.
I wouldn't trust any Intel hardware after Pentium Pro era. A dual 200 Mhz PPro with the 1-meg cache would be a sweet machine, but the SGI is even better if you're into 3D stuff.
That said, I'm more into Amiga (the old OCS/ECS machines) and other 80's machines.
>>
File: Tin_foil_hat_2.png (306 KB, 249x238) Image search: [Google]
Tin_foil_hat_2.png
306 KB, 249x238
>>2849564
>>
>>2849590
It's no conspiracy. The sinkhole bug was unveiled at latest blackhat convention. But this kind of exploit was shown earlier by Kaspersky and others.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.