[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently found Brawl Brothers for SNES (aka Rival Turf 2) and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5
File: brawl_brothers.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1534) Image search: [Google]
brawl_brothers.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1534
Recently found Brawl Brothers for SNES (aka Rival Turf 2) and have been enjoying it. Side-scrolling beat-em-ups can be rather repetitious & predictable, and this game is no different there... just part of the genre I suppose. But I like it better than the Final Fight series at least. You'll probably want to adjust the options on the main screen before playing. The "Angry Mode" is a nice addition. I also like little details like the CRASH sound effects being drawn on screen like a comic book. The hit detection can be a little off sometimes, but the fact that you can move your character around quickly makes up for that. This one is definitely a lot better than Rival Turf. I have yet to play The Peace Keepers, but I'll get around to that one as well. JALECO made some pretty solid beat em ups for the SNES. I'd say pick this up if you see it around at a decent price.
>>
Apparently this is the only North American SNES cart which has both the English version of the game as well as the complete Japanese version (which does have some differences from the American version) hidden on the cartridge and accessible with a cheat code.
>>
I'm playing this for the first time, based on your post. Does the sewer part of the first level ever end?
>>
The sewer part is a maze... you'd think they'd save the harder parts for later and not throw you right into them... You may need a walkthrough for that part to figure out the proper route. I sure did.
>>
>>2845875
I got that impression about 15 minutes in. That alone sets this game apart from other brawlers. Well, that and angry mode.
>>
Having 5 characters to choose from which are actually different from each other is nice too. And apparently there is even a Game Genie code which allows you to play as the final boss Dieter/Iceman as well.
>>
>>2845905
What's with having you pick two characters for 1 player mode?

And I really dig how fast your character moves, that slide attack damaging downed enemies isn't bad either.
>>
>>2845908

Depending on who you pick, the remaining characters are the bosses you fight later on. They vary depending on who you selected as a 2nd player even though you only control one of them. Or something like that...
>>
>>2845908
>What's with having you pick two characters for 1 player mode?
Because three of the main characters get captured in story mode and you need at least a second character in case another player wants to join in.
>>
>>2845918

In other words, pick the one boss you DON'T want to fight as your 2nd player.
>>
>>2845918
Strange. I'm thinking this will be my new time waster while I'm bussing around the city. Thanks for the recommendation, anon.
>>
>>2845932

No problem. I just discovered this game this week and am surprised it's not more well known. I'm glad at least someone else got some enjoyment out of it.
>>
>Used to buy lots of SNES games as a kid at used game stores
>Sold games back to the shop all the time that I didn't like
>Picked up Brawl Brothers for 10$
>Employee tells me not to bother because its so shitty I'll return it immediately
>Ends up being the only beat em' up I ever kept

I don't remember much about it, but I remember it mostly for that and being the first good Jaleco game I ever got. Was a good time.
>>
>>2846142

the game never gets mentioned here. you sound intimidating. i'm so scared.
>>
>>2845887

Apparently the Japanese version doesn't have the mazes, adds a groin kick as a special move to one of the characters and also has a longer ending sequence.
>>
>>2845720
People here claim the series is shit overall, and even the good ones are mediocre, not sure if "SNES couldnt handle Beat em ups" meme or just to tied up to SoR2.

Now my honest opinion is that the 2nd and 3rd game are okay to above good, but they are an aquire taste, and both have stuff that might turn off people.

For starters the 3rd game, Rushing Beat Shura got butchered in localization and one of the characters is a fucking joke, only attacks with a kick with no combos after wards.

The second one Rushing Beat Run (My personal favorite) has drag-out levels and invisible invulnerability time for the bosses after you knock em down and they couldn't bothered to make them blink or something, plus you had to remember to press Y repeatedly to quick recover.

But to be fair, the only one that is a legit horrid turd of a game, is the first one, Rushing Beat aka Rival Turf.
>>
>>2845720
Is that Terry Bogard?
>>
>>2847362

WTF. I hadn't realized the dude on the cover image was 2 different characters split down the middle. Weird and unnecessary.
>>
>>2847597

Reminds me of Resident Evil. Would be pretty funny if it was inspired by this.
>>
The cover should have had a ninja dressed in green with red high tops instead.
>>
What are other enjoyable beat'em ups on the SNES?
>>
>>2847362
No, Jeremy Clarkson.
>>
>>2851901

Turtles In Time is the G.O.A.T.
>>
>>2845720
A hidden secret: you can counter throwing enemies.
Press attack button st certain timing and you either throw/grab the bastard
>>
>>2852413

Are you sure you're not talking about Angry Mode? You start throwing dudes off screen when you use that option and start blinking from damage
>>
>>2851901
ninja warriors again
>>
File: 5unei4u.png (33 KB, 506x492) Image search: [Google]
5unei4u.png
33 KB, 506x492
I cant go any further, this game is so boring.
>>
Rival Turf sucks
Brawl Brothers is pretty decent
Peace Keepers I like less than Brawl Bros
>>
Rushing Beat/Rival Turf is incredibly mediocre, but at least the Japanese version has the ending intact.

Rushing Beat Ran/Brawl Brothers is markedly better than the predecessor, although still barely above mediocre. Better than the hack job Final Fight got when ported to the SNES.

Rushing Beat Shura. Great game. Superior to the predecessors in every way.

Peace Keepers. Avoid at all costs and go with Rushing Beat Shura instead. The localization is shit! SHIT!
>>
So Rushing Beat Shura and Peace Keepers are different games?
>>
>>2852751
>Rushing Beat Shura. Great game. Superior to the predecessors in every way.
>Great game

I wouldn't say it's great. it's decent.
>>
>>2852413
Lies, complete and total lies, i been trying to escape enemy grabs, and its impossible, the characters just stop for 2 seconds and then i get grabbed, and no matter how much i mash the buttons, i cant never escape enemy grabs, MOST normal beat em ups allow you to do that.

or is it like a bullshit FirePRO system?
>>
File: 570120958.jpg (15 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
570120958.jpg
15 KB, 256x197
>>2845720
>But I like it better than the Final Fight series at least
Blasphemy. Try playing the Arcade or SegaCD version of Final Fight.
>>
>>2852826

We're referring to SNES only here, Flanders...
>>
>>2852490
King of dragons
>>
>>2852490
>>2852849
These are the only SNES beat 'em ups worth playing, King of Dragons has some annoying slowdowns though.
>>
You're better off playing Streets of Rage 2 or 3 than any babby tier SNES beat em up.
>>
>>2852802
>bullshit
>fire pro system

How is the Fire Pro system bullshit? It's the best implemented grappling system in a wrestling game series to date.
>>
>>2852868
Ninja Warriors is great you silly console warrior.
>>
>>2852892
>mentioning the non-jap version

Do you enjoy playing a shitty version of the game that has one less enemy type that adds a lot more variety to the gameplay
>>
>>2852930
>one less enemy type
Wut? I thought they had replaced the kunoichi sprite with a monkey sprite due to censorship but I never heard about this one less enemy thing.
>>
File: censorship-3-21.jpg (46 KB, 700x285) Image search: [Google]
censorship-3-21.jpg
46 KB, 700x285
>>2852938
Pic related, jap vs us
>>
>>2852930
I always play the SFC version, eat shit.

>>2852938
Yeah, they are pretty much the same, i'll check their patters next time.
>>
Please feel free to turn Angry Mode off any time now and not ruin the thread, you butthurt brawlers...
>>
I wish this trilogy got a fan translation, these games were butchered more then Bare Knuckle III.
>>
>>2852971

>You got here in the nick of time. Let's go kick some butt.
>>
>>2852945
then call it by its correct name you faggot shit-eater
>>
>>2852938
>>2852939
the monkey enemy is in the jap version. the non-jap version removed the girl enemy

>>2852945
>Yeah, they are pretty much the same
Retard
>>
File: jap.jpg (56 KB, 550x373) Image search: [Google]
jap.jpg
56 KB, 550x373
>>2853162
Yes that seems to be the case, thanks for the correction.
>>
>>2853153
Keep your autism to yourself weeb piece of shit, you are worse than the Mario 2/Doki and FF3/6 retards.
>>
>>2853250
You literal retard. This is about gameplay you faggot
>>
>>2851901
Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou
Final Fight
Turtles in Time
Sonic Blast Man
Edo no Kiba
Ghost Chaser Densei
Iron Commando
King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Ninja Warrior Again
Pirates of Dark Water
Great Battle 3
UFO Kamen Yakisoban
Super Double Dragon
BS SHockman Zero
Rushing Beat 2 and 3
Legend
Final Fight
Undercover Cops
The Combatribes
Batman Returns
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems
Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun – Kunio Tachi No Banka
Shounen Ninja Sasuke
Venom and Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
Captain Commando
>>
>>2852802
Look carefully when you get grabbed. The enemy sprite will move slightly (2 pixels) before throwing your character. That's the time the attack button should be pressed.
>>
>>2852751
>Better than the hack job Final Fight got when ported to the SNES.
Nope. Even that "hackjob" of a port that was the SNES Final Fight is way better than any of the Rushing Beat games (including Run and Syura). I never understood the appeal of that series and I'm guessing all the praise comes from SNES-only kiddies who never went to the arcades and were eager to play anything for a beat-'em-up fix.
>>
>>2853760
You basically listed every snes beat'em up that ever came out. Retard.
>>
>>2854723
So, you want to tell me that the SNES was a great console for beat'em ups or do you have actual critic?
>>
>>2854739
I see that English isn't your primary language.
>>
Had rival turf as a kid, it was mediocre at but I had a blast playing it with my buddies.

One thing that's always bugged me though, I remember the 4th stage, like a south American village near a river, I swear to god one time I managed to enter one of the huts and I was in some weird dark room with this glitchy looking enemy and odd music.

I seem to remember a timer, you could attack the enemy and it wouldn't fight back but the timer ran out and I reappeared back in the level before killing it.

Could never replicate it, and I always wondered if I had dreamed it or what would have happened if I'd killed it the enemy....anyone else remember that or am I just mis-remembering a dream or something?
>>
>>2855094
>Could never replicate it, and I always wondered if I had dreamed it or what would have happened if I'd killed it the enemy....anyone else remember that or am I just mis-remembering a dream or something?
Nope, it's just really hard to access since it requires some ridiculously specific conditions to unlock.
https://tcrf.net/Rival_Turf!
>>
>>2855334
>https://tcrf.net/Rival_Turf!

very interesting.......
>>
>>2852835
Even the 1P-only SNES port of the first Final Fight is better than any Rushing Beat game.

>>2852826
Final Fight CD fucks up the attack speed of the characters. It's as flawed as the SNES Final Fight for other reasons. The only way to play Final Fight is via the AC version.
>>
>>2856263

>opinions...

OP here. I like Brawl Bros better than Final Fight. You have your opinion and I have mine. Hope you're having a nice day.
>>
>>2856280
>You have your opinion and I have mine.
No shit, Sherlock. I wouldn't have figured that out if you haven't pointed it out to me.

At any rate, I was always found the actual brawling in the Rushing Beat games to be rather weak-feeling compared to the Final Fight games.
>>
>>2857756
I disagree, it's only 3 enemies per screen but you actually have a moveset in rushing beat as opposed to only a default and an infinite combo in Final Fight snes. At least the arcade Final Fight had decent AI and sprite count.
>>
>>2854691
>SNES-only kiddies who never went to the arcades and were eager to play anything for a beat-'em-up fix.

It's not like the SNES didn't have, oh, Batman Returns, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Battletoads & Double Dragon, King of Dragons, Combatribes or Knights of the Round. Even MMPR and MMPR: the Movie were decent.

Stop acting like Streets of Rage were the end-all-and-be-all of beat 'em ups.
>>
>>2856263
> It's as flawed as the SNES Final Fight for other reasons
Fuck no, the Sega CD version was flawed in only one thing, the SNES port is flawed in so fucking many ways.
>The only way to play Final Fight is via the AC version.
I can agree with this.

>>2857870
Well, SoR2 and SoR3 are certainly better than most of those. I would say King of Dragons was the only good beat 'em up port from Capcom for the SNES, still had some awful slowdowns on co-op tho.
>>
>>2857898
>Fuck no, the Sega CD version was flawed in only one thing, the SNES port is flawed in so fucking many ways.
The SNES port reworks the game in many ways to compensate for the obvious hardware limitations that the developers were dealt with. I don't really consider it the same game in any way.

The attack speed in Final Fight CD might be a minor change, but it fucks up the gameplay a bit too much for me.
>>
>>2857926
>The SNES port reworks the game in many ways
Explain.
>>
>>2857926
>I don't really consider it the same game in any way.
And that's why it's completely fucked up as a port. The Sega CD is an actual port, the SNES version is more like a Final Fight lite.
>>
>>2857936
Does it really need to?
>Fewer on-screen enemies than the arcade, especially when there's a barrel or breakable object around.
>Completely different enemy placement and more stopping points than the arcade
>More generosity with extra lives when Extends are set to "20,000 Every" (you can keep getting more lives after you passed 90,000 points, unlike the arcade)
>Enemy attacks are stronger to compensate for their reduced numbers.
>The katana and pipe have more reach
>You no longer knock every enemy out when you start a new life.
>You're forced to restart a stage when you use a continue, rather than restarting on the same exact spot where you died.

The Guy version adds an invincibility power-up and a 1UP item, not to mention further changes to the enemy placement (like the three El Gados at the end of Round 2-1). I think it also gives Guy's the added ability to do more damage with the katana than the other characters (I don't think he had that skill in the arcade).

A lot of people tend to shit on the SNES Final Fight as a bad port, but I think the developers did a respectable job with it, given how limited the console's hardware was and they were clearly aware of this with all the changes they made (since the SNES version is more about endurance than crowd control). I just wished they had waited longer until larger cartridge sizes became available so they could've at least released a version with all three characters rather than doing a separate version with Guy.

Final Fight 2 feels like a step back from 1 despite the addition of 2P co-op since the colors are too muddy, the characters are barely animated and the sounds feel like they're filtered in some kind of weird way. Final Fight 3 got everything right though.
>>
>>2857982
I'm talking about king of dragons, senpai
>>
>>2857986
>King of the Dragons
Which was never part of the conversation.
>>
>>2858031
your mama
>>
>>2857982
Well at least i enjoyed Final Fight butchered edition more than 2 and 3, i'll give you that. The sequels have just brain dead difficulty.
>>
>>2858041
Final Fight 2 kinda sucks (it's basically Capcom's apology for not including 2P co-op in the first game and it's a step back in every other aspect), but 3 is legitimately good. It's possibly the best beat-'em-up in a console that was never really that great with the genre to begin with.
>>
>>2858484
ghost chaser sfc is better
>>
>>2858498
Ghost Chaser Densei was kinda boring. Then again, I never cared much for Denji Makai either way.
>>
>>2858594
>was kinda boring
That's not a critic. Just an expression of your feelings. Just like I can say your favorite game is boring to me.
>>
>>2858605
Well for one thing, the graphics in Ghost Chaser are way too muddy and dark compared to other SNES beat-'em-ups. It makes no sense either, considering Denji Makai in the arcades was actually a pretty colorful games.
>>
>>2852751
The trouble with the Rushing Beat series is the lack of enemies. Holy shit, does it get monotonous.

Final Fight and Streets of Rage had the courtesy to change it up, but in Rushing Beat, you practically fight an army of clones before reaching the boss.
>>
>>2858635

Final Fight changes it up? Really?? Seems like I'm fighting Andre the Giant every other screen. It doesn't have that many enemies. Weak argument there.
>>
>>2858630
Just shut up, Final Fantasy 3 is mediocre drivel. Best beateemeuup on the system my ass.
>>
>>2858678
Nigga it has way better enemy design than that piss-poor ripoff. Gados, Poisons and Andores alone are better than the whole enemy design in Rushing beat games.
>>
>>2858484
Final Fight 3 has shitty difficulty and tons of slowdowns, best beat 'em up on the console is Ninja Warriors Again by far. I like King of Dragons better than FF3 too.
>>
>>2858898
I'm comparing Brawl Brothers specifically to Final Fight 1-3. Brawl Brothers wins. Again you have your opinion, no need to enforce it wigga.
>>
>>2858921
I never understood the appeal of King of Dragons, even for the arcade version. It plays like a side-scrolling platformer without any actual platforming.
>>
>>2858921
>best beat 'em up on the console is Ninja Warriors Again by far

This.
>>
>>2858956
And that's why it's kinda neat, the console is already saturated enough with Final Fight clones. Also check out Magic Sword, it's like a platformer shmup.
>>
No love for Batman Returns (SNES) makes me sad.

It ain't a masterpiece but it's solid and well-made.

Good music, good graphics, good atmosphere. Fun and satisfying game mechanics.

3 enemies on-screen is a minus, but the action and movements are fast, and enemies are disposed of quickly so you rarely notice. Never finish your combo with the kick. Ever. You're massively reducing your damage potential if you do. Boomerang > jab, jab, knee > grab > knee, knee > throw.

One thing unique about this game is that you want to boomerang to stun before engaging. Almost always for normal enemies.

The throws are great. Double head bonks... Vertical throws into walls, fences, windows, and poles...

Fun boss fights. Gonna list some strats for whoever may be interested because all the youtube videos I've seen for this game rely on test tubes and dying, making people believe this game is luck-based or has random/cheap factors. It's not.

Boss 1) Shoot the grappling hook at him, and bonk him in the back of the head. Then spam boomerangs while dodging to kill him in about 10 seconds. Should never take damage against him.

2) Grab, knee, knee, block-cancel, grab, knee, knee, block-cancel, repeat. Throw him into normal enemies if necessary, then repeat the grab infinite. Should never take damage against him.

3) Catwoman: Jab, jab, knee, grab, knee, knee, throw. Then she will always start cartwheeling. Align vertically with her then move down or up, depending on where she is, to dodge. Then grab her at the end of her attack, knee, knee, block-cancel, grab, knee, knee, throw. Then she will cartwheel again. Keep repeating. Should never take damage against her. Ever.
>>
>>2859060

4) Catwoman: Might take a hit or two if you're not careful. Same as above except she doesn't cartwheel. So you can grab infinite as much as you want as long as you have room to do so. To do even more damage from grab infinites, you can grab, knee, knee, grab-cancel, jab, jab, knee, grab, knee, knee, grab-cancel, jab, jab, knee, grab, etc. Don't use test tubes for god's sake.

Penguin: Use test tubes when he's on the screen to do massive damage. Use them all. Do not use them when he's charging from off-screen or he'll take minimal damage. When he's charging from off-screen (you can know which direction he's coming from based on which side of the screen he was on before flying off), you just shoot him 3 times to make him move up a bit each time. Takes a lot of practice, but once you figure out his patterns, he is easy to beat without taking damage. No need to be greedy and jump around shooting boomerangs while he's in the air.

5) Truck: Self-explanatory.

6) The trick is to beat him up until he starts shooting bullets. Then dodge his bullets and let him kill all the normal enemies himself. Then once normal enemies stop respawning, go grab the boss and maul him. Grab infinite or do whatever.
>>
>>2859079
7) Duckie: Really easy to figure out the pattern. Takes about 15 seconds to kill. Never should take damage.

Final boss: Jab, jab, knee, grab, knee, knee, throw. Then dodge while he's flying around. You might want to use a test tube when he first starts flying because he's invincible. Otherwise, you can grab him when he's hovering, knee, knee, grab-cancel, knee, knee, throw.

There's nothing cheap about this game at all. Not in the least. The game is perfectly one-life-clearable on the default difficulty. The higher difficulties reduce the boomerang's stun and makes things harder obviously. I haven't attempted them yet, because after getting my fix of this game I would rather play other games with a bit more variety.

Like I said, not a masterpiece but a good, solid, fun game to dust off and play through once in a while. In terms of overall game polish, presentation and mechanics, it ranks highly among SNES beat'em ups.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.