[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The voice over work in this is fucking crazy good, especially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: gfs_42494_1_1.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gfs_42494_1_1.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
The voice over work in this is fucking crazy good, especially compared to other games from the time.
A Japanese PlayStation game from 1998 with no weird inflections and little-to-no mistranslations, how did they do it?
>>
File: mei ling box.jpg (88 KB, 577x900) Image search: [Google]
mei ling box.jpg
88 KB, 577x900
>>2845214

They took their time and hired competent people. Not complicated.

Classic Mei Ling a best.
>>
>>2845214
You like Castlevania, don't you?
>>
>>2845228

That accent would get me rock hard as a kid... they fucked up by changing her VA in the remake.
>>
>>2845265

the remake was shit all around
>>
They hired a guy who knew how to reword or cut all of Kojima's faggot bullshit dialog
>>
>>2845214
The voice directing was indeed pretty good.

Nowadays we have a character that can't decide if he's a grizzly old man or a cowboy clint eastwood and fluctuates between accents
>>
>>2845214
David Hayter talked like a normal person instead of a man choking on his own blood.
>>
>>2845275

Star Wars was saved in editing too
>>
>>2845294

well, too his defense, I don't suspect he has much control over the role as he would really like.
>>
>>2845294

Yeah, in MGS1 you could sometimes hear him yell like a normal person, rather than growling every single word
>>
>>2845294
90% of his lines are repeating what someone else just said with a question mark tacked on to the end. No normal person does that.
>>
>>2845341

Normal person?
>>
File: manigga.jpg (42 KB, 400x494) Image search: [Google]
manigga.jpg
42 KB, 400x494
>>2845214
I reccomend you and everyone of this thread take a read of this:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/metalgear/jeremyblaustein.htm
>>
Experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94
>>
>>2845341
It's the best way to prompt explanations from other characters without adding a fuckton of unnecessary dialogue, otherwise they would just be rattling off random information like a bunch of autistics.
>>
>>2845369

well, be that as it may. A lot of the babble they do go on about is shit Snake should already know or shit no ones gonna wanna chat about in the middle of a escape mission.

I know you have to get a lot of it out there for the player but it's always come of as really expository

that all said, id be dammed if I can think up a better solution, so the fuck do I know.
>>
>>2845275
I like this meme, but please stop.
>>
>>2845341
Normal person?
>>
File: 1449714788191.jpg (23 KB, 295x400) Image search: [Google]
1449714788191.jpg
23 KB, 295x400
>>2845380
>meme
>>
>>2845392
Kojima/Fukushima didn't do no wrong.

The script needed to be westernized a little? Could be, but there's anything inherently wrong with the Japanese lines.
>>
>>2845214
>fucking crazy good
relatively speaking, but it's still game-grade

there are cheap american cartoons with more natural vo

>>2845228
accents are tough to do, and mei ling's was obviously fake as fuck, but it was light enough to understand what she was saying

i'm guessing they removed accents from tts because improving them to the point where they sound real wouldn't have been possible with the original voice cast, and would have made the lines harder to understand
>>
File: 1448347865434[2].png (353 KB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
1448347865434[2].png
353 KB, 3072x2048
>>2845214

Konami was pioneering with putting effort into voice over work.

Snatcher is a 1994 game and it has great voice acting.

The other games of the era that had hilarious voice acting just put no money or effort into it. Low budget studios, shoddy equipment, no name actors, voice actor directors who cannot speak english.
>>
>>2845214
nanomachines
>>
>>2845341
90% huh...
>>
>>2845664
They removed it because it's fucking retarded that someone who was born and lived in America their entire life would have a thick Chinese accent.
>>
>>2846428
What about Ys 1&2 than?
>>
>>2845214
play soul reaver 1 if you want a ps1 game with godly voice acting
>>
>>2847501
Brit here, I know Arabs who were born here and lived all their lives in this country and they have thick accents.
>>
>>2847501
oh hey reddit
>>
>>2846428

Both Snatcher and MGS had Jeremy Blaustein on localization, for the time they came out it was pretty fucking unheard of to westernize games so little. The Ys series and Working Designs' games are about the only exceptions I can think of.
>>
>>2845341
A question mark tacked on to the end huh?
>>
>>2847678
What's Reddit about that? He's right. It's not impossible but it's certainly unlikely.

I don't mind the thicker accent in the original but it's no wonder they changed it.
>>
>>2845341
Question mark...?
>>
>>2845265
Did twin snakes change her? I thought she just didn't do the accent after MGS1
>>
>>2845341
It's a Japanese thing.
>>
Was any character ruined in mgs4 more than naomi?
>>
>>2848452
They speak so fast the listener has to check if what he heard was right.

West: 1
East: 0
>>
>>2845265

It is literally the same actress. They just told her to drop the accent. The only major role that changed was adding Rob Paulsen for the Ninja. Anyway, the accent didn't even make sense; she was American born and raised. Hale's vaguely british Naomi was nice though. I missed it.

I will say that the PSX script is likely a little better over TS; Blaustein knew to take basic liberties and not aim for a direct literal translation as that can end up clunky and redundant in English. Thing is, Blaustein also tends to Dobson his importance and downplay the actors whenever he can. He thinks he's the reason why SOTN's lines are so memorable, giving no credit to the actors whatsoever, for good or ill.
>>
>>2845341
Repeating?
>>
>>2845214
Simple. They put the money into it. At the time, translation and any kind of voice acting got real low priority when it came to the budget.

For most games with voice acting, you'd find a bum on the street and tell him you'll give him lunch if he says some shit. Or you just get your family to do it and guilt them into doing it for free. Just go with the first take because time is money.

For translations, if it kinda looked like english, it was good enough.
>>
How did Konami go from SotN to this in only a year?
>>
>>2849123
IIRC the SOTN voice cast was just kinda folks they could find near their offices that spoke fluent English. The MGS games used professional voice actors working with a respected cartoon voice/casting director who several of them had worked with in the past. Sort of night and day in the amount of attention paid to the English dub, and it clearly paid off.
>>
>>2848868
>Blaustein knew to take basic liberties and not aim for a direct literal translation as that can end up clunky and redundant in English.
It's always irked the hell out of me how most future games in the franchise are, for the most part, incredibly strict with localization. I fucking love the games, but they have some incredibly strange dialogue resulting from this.

I feel like MGS4 suffered the most, personally, but it's probably MGS2 that hurt the most from it.
>>
>>2849191
Could you provide some examples? I never really noticed it.
>>
>>2849216
Wait for him to get away with the "We've managed to avoid drowning" line like he's got any clue of what he's talking about.
>>
>>2849459
Yeah, that did sound weird. I never associated it with bad translation/localisation though.
>>
>>2848868
>He thinks he's the reason why SOTN's lines are so memorable, giving no credit to the actors whatsoever, for good or ill.

To be fair, one of those VAs was the voice for Chris in RE1.

If that's any indication of the skill level of SOTN's voice actors, then I guess he's kinda justified there.
>>
>>2849524
Because MGS2 had no such thing as bad translation/localisation. In fact it was done in the same vein as Blaustein did, even moreso at first. Early drafts of the English script were so reworked they became nothing short of intolerable and Konami did good bringing the translator down to earth.
>>
>>2847507
Ys was phenomenal. The guy from Wings and Sideways was Dark Fact or some shit.
>>
>>2849459
Only Americans take issue with that line. That's very much a British expression, only it's supposed to be delivered with a much more sardonic tone of voice. The actor fucked it up, but there's really nothing wrong with the line itself.
>>
>>2849592
[citation needed]
>>
>>2845360
I always wondered why it was called the Cube of Zoe.
>>
>>2850187
http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/02/agness-kaku-update-konami-japan.html

I mean, she's done one hell of a job (eventually), but if you read any of her thoughts about Kojima's writing (this involves Fukushima's) you'd realize she's full of herself and is highly mistaking the medium she's operating into.

She's even confused simple shounen-tier dialogue such as 待たせたな with "You kept me waiting!", come the fuck on.
>>
>>2850316
>HG101
Opinion discarded!
>>
>>2850316
>and is highly mistaking the medium she's operating into.
LOL

>"I was only pretending to be a bad writer, cause it's like, a video game" -Hideo Kojima
>>
>>2850316
>She's even confused simple shounen-tier dialogue such as 待たせたな with "You kept me waiting!", come the fuck on.
Just because we like video games from the last decade doesn't mean we can all read moonrunes, come the fuck on.
>>
>>2850350
Since he clearly upset you with his lack of trigger warnings, I think you should be the one to find another source and shove it in his face while saying "NEENER NEENER NEENER!!"
>>
>>2850316
She does seem somewhat pretentious, but her criticism of Kojima's writing is certainly true.

I'm a big fan of Metal Gear (up until the more recent games), but writing was never Kojimbo's strongsuit. Having interesting ideas and distinct, idiosyncratic presentation has pretty much always been the draw of Metal Gear's storyline.
>>
>>2849550

That's where the 'for good or ill' comes from; His lines are equally as memorable in their delivery as much as Robert Belgrade (Alucard) and Scott McCulloch's (Dracula) were. His scripting is only part of what worked; their hammy/dorky/goofy delivery is the other half. He outright dismisses them. Hell, he only mentioned Belgrade by name to call him the weirdest motherfucker he's ever met.

I mean, think of Liquid Snake; his lines are good, but what people really remember is Cam Clarke's absurdly faux-british scenery chewing. He's still good in TS, even if Clarke mostly went a little more menace over ham that time.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.