[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starcraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: Starcraft Portada.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Starcraft Portada.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
Starcraft Broodwars. The best rts game to exist. Who still plays it?
>>
File: dune2.png (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
dune2.png
9 KB, 320x200
>The best rts game to exist.

That doesn't look like Dune II to me.
>>
>>2843551
Didn't dune ii have those annoying questions it asked? Having to find the anwsers to the questions in some little book was a mammoth task for 5 year old. Dune I don't think it was any where near the best rts's but it was definitely one of the eairly games that helped define rts' s was fun to play to.
>>
>>2843562

Copy-protection. Several DOS games enforced it. You can patch it out with tools like Universal Neverlock, or just download it with the copy-protection already patched out. I think MyAbandonware's download of Dune II is already patched.
>>
>>2843546

Some guys recently redid the original and broodwar as a custom map pack or some shit so you can replay the campaign but on the SC2 engine.
>>
I played it yesterday. Got my ass whooped by a protoss player on iCCup.

It still holds up, though. It's extremely difficult, but very satisfying. I'm considering getting back into it, starting to play daily. SC2 is a lot of fun as well, but it still has not reached that macro/micro balance that BW has.
>>
>>2843619

NOT RETRO

Just kidding, how faithful is it?
>>
>>2843629
ICCUP what is this? Some way to play multiplayer is it? I mostly used to play broodwars on battlenet and LAN games. Other westerners would hate playing me because I'd always win and koreans were way too much of a challenge and often I was no match for koreans who said "I'm not so good I just played a bit in school".

The multi player was what made bw great.
>>
>>2844554
The only real place to play multiplayer BW in the west right now, they have their own launch client too with some tweaks, very useful.

Fish is the way to go if you want to play with the koreans, though.
>>
>>2843619
I thought they did that years ago?
>>
>>2843551
Dune II was revolutionary at the time, but I seriously dare you to go back and play it now. The genre has evolved for the better.
>>
there is only one war of the brood
>>
>>2843546
>>2843551
Neither of these is Total Annihilation.
>>
Do people still play on battlenet? How complicated is the alternative? I want to play some starcraft again but I don't want to spend hours setting stuff up.
>>
>>2843546
i stopped playing it once i started playing as the swarm. not because it wasn't my favorite playstyle up towards that point, but because one of the levels i remember was pretty bullshit. never even started protoss yet or the brood war campaign either. i might make a webm for it now that i know how
>>
>>2845203
alright ive been playing this mission, mission 8 eye for an eye, for the past half hour. i actually almost got established this time so maybe it isn't bullshit, i was playing extremely wrong before. but how the fuck do i beat protoss archons with zerg? i thought i was pretty established, had spore turrets and a shitload of ranged units. then a single archon comes, area of effect lightning rapes everyone then comes to my base in the bottom right of the map, completely ignored by my 4 spore turrets, and fucks my shit up. he destroyed half an army of mutalisk and then another half army of hydralisks without taking a single damage (due to some sort of fucking shield which recharges fast as fuck). what the fuck do i do?
>>
File: Cow03.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cow03.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>2845378
There is no cow level
>>
>>2845435
WRONG THREAD NOOB
>>
>>2843638
I would also like to know the answer to this this. My PC has issues running BW.
>>
>>2845378
>spore turrets
Archons are not flyers, you beat them with sunken colonies. They are pretty effective against Archons.

You beat Archons with large amounts of units that can't clump up to make sure their area of effect attack can't do stuff to you. So don't use Zerglings or Mutalisks.

In general, late game Zerg missions are beaten by massive armies of Hydralisks with some Ultralisks to tank (and Ultralisks are very good against Archons, they soak their area of effect damage) or by massive Guardian fleets with Mutalisk support against air units (Guardians snipe Archons from a distance).
>>
File: 1302989021176.png (70 KB, 195x226) Image search: [Google]
1302989021176.png
70 KB, 195x226
>Playing through the original campaign again
>Have no trouble beating the first two races
>Get to protoss
>Missions 7/8 are just the enemy spamming arbiters at you to freeze your armies for far too long
>Get too bored and frustrated to continue

Who the fuck thought the arbiter would be a fun addition to the game?

And remember folks, this is original. No Dark Archon to feedback kill them.
>>
>>2845441
No anon, you are the noob.

>Instant Victory
To instantly win the current level press ENTER then type "there is no cow level" and press ENTER again.
>>
File: 90675346.jpg (169 KB, 2005x990) Image search: [Google]
90675346.jpg
169 KB, 2005x990
>>2845463
oh fuck i thought they were flyers. they look like they are hovering. thanks to you and a good 40 minute grind ive finally managed to get to a point where i felt secure in stopping for another day

>>2845576
i am going to beat it without cheats if its the last thing i do!!!!
>>
>>2845378
How to beat Zerg missions:

- make Hydras
- make defiler
- dark swarm in each battle
- win
>>
>>2845781
Typical player stuck on the campaigns won't be able to micro that shit. You don't even need Defilers, just spam Hydras if you want a land approach, and get Ultras solely to soak up Reavers/Tanks.

Dark Swarm is just as likely to fuck you over if you fight, say, Zealots.

The REAL how to beat Zerg missions:
>make drones
>take minerals and gas
>make hatcheries
>never stop producing shit
>win
>>
>>2845838
typically though your resources are extremely limited, you can't play it like you would melee. The biggest example that comes to mind is the final BW mission, very few minerals. Lose too many units and you simply run out of dosh. That's why Zerg has arguably the hardest missions with their weak, but sizable armies with poor AI.

I disliked using Ultras because the damn AI always snipes them with Dark Archons or Queens.
>>
>>2843546
The Protoss in that pic has a massive penis out for all to see
>>
>>2845845
>The biggest example that comes to mind is the final BW mission, very few minerals.
You can basically start off the match hatching an expansion directly south of your main position (get a few drones in then transfer them to the newbuilt colony and immediately get some of them morphing Sunken), and then in the southwest corner of a map there's a little island with gas and another pile of minerals you can send a drone towards immediately. Once you take out any of the AIs, you can immediately host their lands and from then, it's a sure win.

I assure you, most missions that don't have a gimmick can be just turtled to victory; get that doomstack (usually something like 8 Guardians and a suitable Mutalisk protection force, or just like 80 Hydras) and use them to seize the first non-free base you can find.

>That's why Zerg has arguably the hardest missions with their weak, but sizable armies with poor AI.
I dunno, I find that the case is mostly that
1) Zerg is a weird race
2) the final BW campaign is much more brutal in difficulty
3) the "spam capital ship to win" tactic of the Protoss and Terran needs to be diversified (Mutas+Guards)

The final Protoss mission in SC has you start with two bases, a ton of free (or only outfitted with token resistance) resources around those bases and a few hero units to clear out the area. In BW, the final Protoss mission is just spam Cannons and get some Psionic Storm Templars and wait. Final Terran mission is just a gimmick to figure out and then it's easy. Final Zerg mission is you being surrounded on all sides by everyone you've pissed off so far, and they all start off ahead in upgrades.

>Ultras
they're very expendable; if the AI mind controls them, it'll mostly divert some fire from the 100+ Hydras you should be having; if the AI broodlings them, well, it's just a nuisance. If you go fleet, you will have to pull Irradiated units from your clumped fleet, which is annoying but also not a deal breaker unless you fuck up.
>>
I've only really played multiplayer againest people never bothered with the campaigns. Are they actually a challenge? I thought it'd be like single player computer difficulty (easy) ive taken out a 7 ai melee vs me once before by using the cannon rush as protoss.
>>
Yes BW is still the gold standard of RTSs. Sad starcraft II was such a disappointment made by people who never understood the original.
>>
>>2845781
>Hydras
>dark swarm

Is this bait?!
>>
>>2843546
>the best rts game to exist.
Uhhh no its not
>>
>>2846809
Yeah it is!
>>
>>2846795
why would it be? Put the Hydras in the swarm and the dumb AI can't kill them except with melee or splash.
>>
The final bw zerg mission isn't that bad, at least it's much less tedious than that one where you have to collect 10k minerals.

If Archons and Dark Archons are such a problem for you, then kill protoss first. Spam hydras. Beware psi storms though.
>>
>>2847301
>The final bw zerg mission isn't that bad, at least it's much less tedious than that one where you have to collect 10k minerals.

If you destroy all the Terran forces on the map (and perhaps infest at least one CC), you immediately get 10k minerals and can proceed forth.
>>
>>2844579
Is there anything like that for Diablo 1? Like two years ago I wanted to play Diablo 1 coop again after about ten years and was heart broken to see only two people in the battlenet lobby.
>>
File: 1436059660629.png (154 KB, 670x744) Image search: [Google]
1436059660629.png
154 KB, 670x744
>>2845435
Oh god all the cheat codes are rushing into my brain again despite not playing any of the games since 2001.
>>
>>2847540
<<<CHEAP ITEMS GO TO CHEAPDIABLOITEMS DOT COM
>xXxShillbotxXx has logged off
>>
>>2847583
I felt so stupid when I spoke about the bots in a game and someone informed me you can set up a banned words list that so far has been 100% successful in stopping spam messages.
>>
>>2847583
That was more of a Diablo 2 issue than a Diablo 1 one. Diablo 1's big issue was the rampant use of trainers to do stuff insta killing everyone in the town.
>>
File: Trash.jpg (152 KB, 470x350) Image search: [Google]
Trash.jpg
152 KB, 470x350
>>2847786
>Playing Diablo 1
>Some guy gives me and my buddy each a scroll you equip on your head that sets all your stats to ridiculous amounts
>Start PKing people like an asshole
>Guy joins a server I'm on
>"I'm going to shit on this guy if he comes down her-"
>Suddenly a Sorcerer appears at the staircase
>Before I can even react, the entire screen fills in firewalls that instakill me when I have practically infinite health

Diablo 1 was great.
>>
File: 1443198241718.gif (18 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1443198241718.gif
18 KB, 125x125
>>2847792
>tfw using trainers to instantly bring yourself back to life in the same server as someone with trainers to instakill
>>
How did this become a Diablo 1 talk? Then again I did play alot more diablo 1 than 2.
>>
>>2843551
>can only select one unit at a time
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (10 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
10 KB, 196x250
>Wait impatiently for TWELVE FUCKING YEARS for Starcraft 2

>Blizzard shills the fuck out and makes you buy the game, a campaign at a time

>Gameplay is mediocre, storyline is blah

Thanks for completely destroying my favorite franchise Blizzard.
>>
>>2849245
I was the same. Super excited for Starcraft 2 waiting for years. Then the prerelease announcements start to come. "No LAN" wtf its a god damn LAN game what is the point without LAN. I practice online so I can play the real games in a LAN, not the other way round.

Then the three install ments largely for campaigns. Wtf release the game with no campaign I dont give to shits about the story line. Multiplayer gaming and LANs are what is important.

Then the game comes out I buy a gaming laptop to play it while I travel. Logon find I need a 1.5gb patch to play. Can't play for 6 weeks. Logon again needs a patch again..... sell the laptop. Haven't really played more than a couple of hours of starcraft 2 in total even though purchased it for $100.

Fuck activision blizzard!!
>>
>>2845462
You have issues with your PC.
There is no pc that can't run starcraft.
Can't complain about a new engine though.
>>
>>2847416
Holy shit are you serious? I need to try that.
>>
>>2849245
oh man, and how the butchered the story. It was fucking terrible. I uninstalled and swore off blizzard completely when Kerrigan turned back to a Human
>>
Blizzard went to shit after 2005 or so
>>
>>2853185
You forget:
>hybrids
>...tidings of doooooom
>big bad xel-naga that WANT TO DESTROY ALL

Seriously, how juvenile can this get? And granted, hybrids were introduced in the Brood Wars secret mission, but fgs, they could have made it a minor subplot instead.
>>
File: 187.jpg (44 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
187.jpg
44 KB, 600x322
>>2853925
I remember standing in line for my collector's edition, so excited to finally continue the story that left off from my favorite RTS of all time.

I knew Blizzard had completely shat the bed with the WoW story, but Starcraft was a chance for them to return to glory.

>JIM RAYNOR, I BRING TIDINGS OF DoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoM
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.