[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there no GBA port of Super Metroid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1449556509518.jpg (68 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
1449556509518.jpg
68 KB, 846x846
Why is there no GBA port of Super Metroid?
>>
I too have asked myself this question.
>>
We got Metroid Fusion instead.
Besides, why would you want a crappy port that has inferior sound and reduced picture resolution?
>>
It probably wouldn't run an SM port very well, also only 2 face buttons would really hurt gameplay.
>>
>>2842869
There's some unfinished romhack, but I can't find the link.
>>
there's one that adapts the gba control scheme into the snes game. it's not what you're asking but you might find it neat
>>
>>2842869
Because Metroid got both a NES remake and a new game. Mario and DK did not, they just got ports.
>>
>>2842869
Not /vr/
>>
>>2842869
Probably because of Metroid Prime 2 originally going to offer it
>>
>Not enough buttons
>Would sound like shit
>Would require changing the aspect ratio and HUD to fit on the GBA's screen

Just a few reasons.
>>
>>2842869
Why would you want that when Fusion and Zero Mission are better games?
>>
>>2842947
>look at me, look at how unique I am for having such an unpopular opinion
>>
>>2842949
>look at me, sucking Super's dick, high five me guyz
>>
>>2842914
Super NES and GBA are retro
>>
>>2842957
Ports are retro, thus a GBA port of Super Metroid is fine to talk about

GBA is not inherently retro, go fuck yourself retard
>>
>>2842958
>GBA port of Super Metroid

hypothetical ports aren't allowed

>>>/v/
>>
>>2843108
You're a huge faggot, to be honest, senpai.
>>
>>2842882
It would be better. Metroid doesn't need a fucking run button.
It's fine for MMX since you can map it to the triggers, but you need those to aim in Super Metroid. Fusion and Zero Mission control much better.

I'd also argue that Fusion and Zero Mission feel better as well. The controls are simple and the physics are fast, while Super Metroid us pretty slow and floaty.
>>
>>2842912
I always found it weird how Super Mario World 1 and 2 got polished ports (along with the Donkey Kong Country series), Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 got remakes, Mario Bros. had a remake on all of those cartridges, and all of the stages from Super Mario Kart were playable in the GBA Mario Kart; yet Super Mario Bros. 1 only got a vanilla port with NES classics.
>>
>>2843253
>I'd also argue that Fusion and Zero Mission feel better as well.

It feels better because those were the ones you had played first. There's hardly any difference between the controls of each game. It's mainly the different field of views that giving you the illusion that the controls are different.
>>
>>2844213
Gravity is clearly different between SM and the GBA games. SM is very floaty while the GBA games have more realistic pull.
>>
>>2842957
Gba was never retro on this board. Gtfo of here with that shit.
>>
>>2844213
I played Super Metroid first. I never liked the designated run button. I felt like it was awkward trying to run, jump, and shoot at the same time. I always thought Super was kind of slow and floaty. Fusion and Zero Mission are also noticeably faster and less floaty. It's just preference which physics you prefer.
>>
>>2842869
NOT RETRO
O
T

R
E
T
R
O
>>
>>2842869
Resolution. Samus' sprite is HUGE by GBA standards. If you've ever seen gif comparisons, Samus' sprites from Zero Mission and Fusion have about the same dimensions as sprite from original Metroid. So you wouldn't be able to see SHIT, like 1/3 of a regular SNES screen, and that is death for a game about exploration.
>>
>>2844342
Ports and rereleases of retro games are retro.
>>
>>2844218
>realistic pull
>on alien planet

Maybe that's just one of those weird things I love about Super Metroid. The floaty controls add to the immersion for me.
>>
>>2844467
Yeah not theoretical ports on nin retro systems. MAYBE I'd allow this if we were discussing a theoretical genesis sm port. But we aren't so I cannot allow these types of threads and this shitposting
>>
>>2844342
Dear 4chan police officer,
this thread is about Super Metroid.

Love, OP.
>>
>>2842905
On that topic there's Super Zero Mission, but a) while fun, it's not actually a whole lot like Zero Mission, and b) it's unbelievably, ball-crushingly difficult, even compared with ZM's hardmode. Fun, but punishingly hard.
>>
>>2844303
>I never liked the designated run button
It was ahead of its time. It's good, but having it be a face button makes it painful to try to run, jump, and shoot all at once. That's why, when you emulate Super, you map the run button to R1, and the aim up/aim down buttons to L1 and L2 respectively. It's a whole new game.

>>2844474
>the immersion
uwotm8
i mean don't get me wrong
i love me some Super Metroid
but immersion? in a sidescrolling platformer? even when i was a kid and SM was new i didn't experience anything that could be called "immersion"
>>
File: 1440570901889.gif (620 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
1440570901889.gif
620 KB, 500x620
>>2842887
/r/ing sauce
>>
File: 1416367321781.jpg (21 KB, 187x186) Image search: [Google]
1416367321781.jpg
21 KB, 187x186
Is it pronounced Zee-bz or Zeh-bahs?
>>
>>2844517
/zɛbɛs/
>>
>>2842947

Zero Mission's almost as good, Fusion is nowhere close. Way too much fucking talking and handholding, like the devs didn't realize what made the first two worth playing in the first place.
>>
File: 1444447178684.png (33 KB, 282x206) Image search: [Google]
1444447178684.png
33 KB, 282x206
>>2842869
But there is.
>>
>>2844517
I always pronounced it to rhyme with Thebes.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.