[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Play with me?" Seriously, why no sequel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Ristar.png (233 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
Ristar.png
233 KB, 640x479
"Play with me?"
Seriously, why no sequel?
>>
File: comix-zone-usa.png (15 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
comix-zone-usa.png
15 KB, 320x224
Idk brah. One of life's greatest mysteries. Seems like Sega made lots of games that deserved sequels.
>>
>>2842457
Comix Zone is one game that wouldn't need a sequel, for one. That game was a product of its time; it had the pop culture of an entire decade stuffed in the cart. If they made one now, it wouldn't be as radical as the original.
>>
>>2842561
>There were plans in place for Comix Zone 3D
>It fell through and now the original game is stuck with the worst cliffhanger in history
>>
Wasn't Ristar supposed to be the original character design for Sonic?
>>2842792
>Comix Zone 3D
This doesn't sound like a good idea
>>
>>2842440
Well, there's the game gear thing
>>
>>2842561
It kinda deserved a sequel because only three levels was far too short, if they made three more on the same engine it would feel more like a full story, but I guess it came out too late for that.
>>
>>2842793
>This doesn't sound like a good idea
A God Hand style Comix Zone or Streets of Rage would be incredible.
>>
>>2842440
They even hinted at one if you typed up some code. No idea why they forgot about it.
>>
>>2842440
Outside of the aesthetics, the gameplay was severely lacking.

Maybe that's why.
>>
>>2843851
>Outside of the aesthetics, the gameplay was severely lacking.
Fuck you m8
The gameplay was the most interesting thing about it
Using your stretchy hands for everything was very creative

The game didn't get a sequel because it didn't sell that much on the wake of the Saturn

Then again a lot of kickass games don't get sequels in general...especially Sega IP's
>>
>>2843851
game was fun as hell though with the 8 way stretch arm attack and being able to climb up walls with it by default. The spin catapault was also the tits and the bosses were all great.
>>
I don't think Sonic Team ever envisioned Ristar being a regular series, it was purely an outlet for them to do something creative that didn't have the internal pressure of a Sonic game with the hardware they knew so well. It came out in 1995 and the 2D bubble had damn near burst, they had to know it was the last chance they'd get before the market went 3D crazy.
>>
>>2844698
>Using your stretchy hands for everything was very creative
Dynamite Headdy did it better.
>>
>>2843851
i agree

we are both in the minority though
>>
>>2846041
Not a fair comparison. That was made by Treasure. There's a reason they don't let middle school kids play in college games.
>>
>>2846014
Sonic Team didn't make this, it was by the AM7 team, who did the Shinobi games and Alex Kidd.
>>
>>2846608
It's literally by Sonic Team, even created by Yuji Naka

Look it up
>>
>>2842440
They did. It's called "Sonic Unleashed".
>>
>>2846723
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/ristar/credits

No Yuji Naka or even Oshima to be found.
>>
Video games are a business. If a game sells poorly, why should that game get a sequel?
>>
>>2846745
This anon is correct, here's an interview where Yuji Naka states the Ristar was created by Yuji Uekawa: http://info.sonicretro.org/Yuji_Naka_interview_by_Prima_%282003%29

This anon >>2846723
doesn't know shit
>>
File: CT1.png (711 KB, 715x523) Image search: [Google]
CT1.png
711 KB, 715x523
>>2842440
>>2846726
Not sure if serious, but I did recently find these N64 games "Chameleon Twist".

It's basically 3D Ristar, except you're a Chameleon (arguably in the first one) who uses his tongue. It sticks to walls and pulls your over (but you can't infinitely climb like in Ristar, hell you down only jump ONCE in 2), you can swing on poles both horizontally and vertically, and the general level design and atmosphere isn't as... natural (it goes with the "floating islands in space" school of design for 3D games), but both are relatively entertaining. Maybe give 'em a shot?
>>
>>2844698
>Then again a lot of kickass games don't get sequels in general...especially Sega IP's
DESU this is why I think the Saturn failed in the North American market. Sega did nothing with the franchises they established in the previous gen, nor with any of the momentum they gained with those franchises during the 16-bit years.
>>
Probably a combination of being a late mega drive/Genesis game and Sega seemed to move away from platformers during the Saturn and Dreamcast era.

I mean for platformers during the Saturn they made what? Clockwork Knight? The very definition of a middle of the road game.
>>
>>2847184
They did make a sequel to Beyond Oasis and a Shinobi game on Saturn but yeah that's about it. Oh and Ecco on DC. That's all I can think of tho
>>
File: Sonic1-rabbit.png (20 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Sonic1-rabbit.png
20 KB, 400x300
>>2842793
>Wasn't Ristar supposed to be the original character design for Sonic?
Sonic was originally a bunny who threw things with his ears. This was eventually dropped and the throwing mechanic was re-used for Ristar.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.