[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arcade Port Extras
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9
File: Sophia.gif (26 KB, 347x313) Image search: [Google]
Sophia.gif
26 KB, 347x313
Let's talk neat extras in console ports of arcade games, /vr/: bonus levels, characters, and specially creative new game modes.

Combat School in Metal Slug was fun (infinite shotgun runs and whatnot), but my favourite would have to be Edge Master Mode in Soul Blade
>>
File: shogun.png (6 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
shogun.png
6 KB, 512x448
The dojo level in TMNT2 is pretty dope, if extra levels do count
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
You know, I used to love Tekken Force until I realized the engine only supports 2 enemies at once and half the stage is a boss fight that's just a normal tekken match and you have to repeat it three times because of the copper silver golden key bullshit and all you get for it is a broken overpowered joke character.
Then I realized Tekken Ball is really where it's at.
>>
>>2841451

CHICKEN
>>
>>2841442
> Edge Master Mode
> BEAT 1-HIT-KILLS VOLDO WITH A 1/5 POISONED LIFE BAR

Shit was ruthless
>>
>>2841442
You'd better quit screwing around on VR or Instructor Meg is gonna be so pissed...
>>
File: Super-Hang-On-10-300x225.png (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Super-Hang-On-10-300x225.png
14 KB, 300x225
The Original Mode in Super Hang On for Genesis. Not sure if you got this mode in the other ports. You start with a fragile and almost undriveable bike and by winning races against rivals it's possible to upgrade it, hire new mechanics and get new sponsors. This mode would be awesome if it wasn't for the fucking huge password to save your progress, fuck it.
>>
I always liked how Street Fighter Alpha 1 on PS and Saturn offered you a choice between original and rearranged music. I don't think even the later Alpha games on console offered this choice.
>>
>>2841613
If I'd had that mode in-era I'd have been in total fucking love. The non-edgy and much harder version of Road Rash
>>
File: Turtles_in_Time_(SNES_cover).jpg (78 KB, 640x455) Image search: [Google]
Turtles_in_Time_(SNES_cover).jpg
78 KB, 640x455
neon night riders
>>
>>2841601
That was a good game, mate. Get's brutally hard as it goes on, or kid me was shit. Either one.
>>
The AI learning mode in Virtua Fighter 2 for Saturn.
Survival mode in Street Fighter Alpha 2.
Elimination match mode in Fatal Fury 2 SNES.
Tournament mode in Killer Instinct SNES.

Off the top of my head.
>>
File: suzuki8.jpg (71 KB, 321x600) Image search: [Google]
suzuki8.jpg
71 KB, 321x600
This track in the Genesis version of Out Run. It would have been cool if the 3DS version included a YM2151 version of this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-thaTaw9q8
>>
Gradius PC engine

>intro and ending
>4 secret bonus levels
>1 new level

Strider PC engine

>shit port, but adds a level

Final Lap Twin

>Rpg mode

Rolling thunder 2 Genesis

>3 extra stages

Mr heli, ninja spirit

>default PC engine mode with higher health
>>
>>2843068
rolling thunder 2 is my jammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>2841613
I played the shit out of that. Found out that it was easier to just keep losing for like thirty times in a row, then use your huge bunch of "loser money" to get a decent starting bike, and blaze through the first few difficulty levels.

A bunch of stuff needed upgrading just by normally using your bike, and it wasn't worth using higher-end parts for those, as I recall. They got used up just as fast as normal ones.

If you beat that mode you got a password for a maxed out ultimate bike, which was significantly more powerful than the one you used in arcade mode too. I remember I could push the timer up to 90 seconds on the Europa course.

>>2841601
Yeah, a lot of those were bullshit, but others were extremely fun. There was a level in Soul Calibur 1 where you had decreased gravity; I remember I used Siegfrieds running drop kick to slam a guy way beyond the "ring out" field and into one of the backgrounds, which was actually solid and so the enemy did not fall down into the empty void.
>>
Snow Bros genesis port has more music and 2 new worlds (20 extra levels).
>>
The Playstation version of Marvel vs Capcom 1 lets Mega Man use the Onslaught weapon he gets in his ending, but it's a shit port otherwise.

In a rare case of a home to arcade translation, the arcade version of Super Mario Brothers has some levels tweaked for difficulty and others replaced all together, and the arcade version of Duck Hunt adds a bonus round where you can shoot the dog.
>>
>>2842886
Pretty much shoehorned mode 7, but damn was it a cool level. Also dat music
>>
File: openthegame.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
openthegame.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
>>2841451 >>2841601 >>2843048

They really used to go all out with fighting game ports; I loved Super Story mode in the PS JoJo port, it's a shame the Dreamcast version didn't have anything like it, but the World Tour mode (or something like that) in SFA3 kind of made up for it
>>
File: twogirlsandacup.gif (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
twogirlsandacup.gif
8 KB, 256x224
>>2843109
Ooh, I remember that; you played the extra levels AS the princess(es), IIRC
>>
>>2843117
>The Playstation version of Marvel vs Capcom 1 lets Mega Man use the Onslaught weapon he gets in his ending, but it's a shit port otherwise.
It was as good as you can expect from a console that couldn't handle the game's tag-team mechanic. Wish they had ported MVC1 to the Saturn as well like they did with Zero 3 though.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.