[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7
File: links_uncle.jpg (51 KB, 504x404) Image search: [Google]
links_uncle.jpg
51 KB, 504x404
What did he mean by this?
>>
youre sister xD
>>
>>2841103
Zelda is Link's Father. Duh
>>
probably destiny or something poorly translated
>>
>>2841103
Sister of course. Ganon is their father. Also this sad fuck failed at becoming a force ghost.
>>
His whore. They couldn't translate this due to censorship issues, but if you play the properly translated 'legend of pervert' you'll get all of the canon lore.
>>
>>2841247
>Ganon is their father
then why aren't they pig people
>>
Youropean
>>
meme
>>
>>2841103
Saving Zelda is your ... (destiny)

/thread
>>
>>2841421
>Save the Princess Zelda is your destiny
>>
Zelda is your name
>>
File: zelda.png (47 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
zelda.png
47 KB, 512x448
>o..omae wa hime no...

original text must imply something like "you are her only hope", nothing deeper else
>>
>>2841565
So it really was just a bad translation. Thanks for clearing up.
>>
File: CSUxHHZW0AAByVQ.jpg large.jpg (13 KB, 263x154) Image search: [Google]
CSUxHHZW0AAByVQ.jpg large.jpg
13 KB, 263x154
>>2841565
so Nintendo's translation department has always been fucking awful?
>>
>>2841585
Except that your picture is grammatically correct.

I sweat to Christ, you people try to find meme references in places they don't exist way too much.
>>
>>2841598
>your picture is grammatically correct.

That's beyond his point you dumbass, and playing the devil's advocate only makes it the more ridiculous.
>>
>>2841598
Are you saying that's not a meme, faggot? Are you that dense? Or do real people talk like that in your autistic world?
>>
>>2841789
>Are you saying that's not a meme
To do that so x such y wow thing in a grammatically correct fashion? No, it's not. It's a reference if he had said Such ancient so ruin wow.

>do real people talk like that
Yes, they do. When they are observing the magnitude of ruin that has befallen a particularly ancient civilization.

>>2841606
His point was "I'm gonna show off another awful translation!" Which it isn't.

And yet you guys think I'm a dense dumbass for actually speaking understanding English correctly instead of applying a false meaning. Both of you can get the fuck off this board or prove me actually wrong with words and not insults.
>>
>>2841803
>His point was "I'm gonna show off another awful translation!" Which it isn't.
Yes it is.

Yes it's a meme.

Yes it's correct English, but it's absolutely intended to be a meme reference.
>>
>>2841585

wow
>>
>>2841803
A translation that replaces the original intended dialog with something completely unrelated is one of the most awful types of translations, because you aren't translating anything at all.
>>
>>2841881

This. Hell, I'm not even opposed to a game with an _occasional_ reference, but NOA's been doing it so much lately they're about to give Working Designs a record-breaker (with even less justification).
>>
>>2841103

Zelda is your bae
>>
>>2841837
not him but why are you so sure
>>
>>2841837
>Yes it's correct English, but

NOPE. The point of the meme is to alter the grammar. You don't do that, you aren't referencing the meme. I already provided what the meme reference would look like if that is what was intended.
>>
>>2841881
Show me the original dialog, please.
>>
>>2841923
I'm a meme expert myself, this anon gets it.
>>
>>2841789
Are you that dense, or do people talk like that in your autistic world?*

Fixed that for you, since you were whining about being "grammatically correct", nigger.
>>
it was intended as a pregnant pause. the original JP breaks off too.
>>
>>2841923
>You don't do that, you aren't referencing the meme

Yeah because repeating the same crap about ancient ruins twice isn't totally suspicious is it? You can just delete that last part and it would look even better. The whole "magnitude of ruin that has befallen a particularly ancient civilization" is the academical definition of grasping at straws.
>>
/vr/ - Meme Discussion
>>
File: rhapsody_literal.png (1 MB, 678x1563) Image search: [Google]
rhapsody_literal.png
1 MB, 678x1563
>>2841881
>>
>>2841997
>THE world of snow

Nah, that guy is probably just plain retarded.
>>
>>2841928
しかし だからこそ残されたであるう古代の遺産を僕は見つけた
>>
>>2842009

Transliteration does shit like this all the time, in languages that are more closely related than English and Japanese. That happens when you don't do a proper translation, the required liberties that they take included.

A translation is always going to have some form of interpretation in it, no matter what. Some words do not have a real translation, and are too awkward to convey in the middle of a sentence, and require the phrase to be remade, or sometimes, an entire conversation retooled to convey the concept. Worse yet, when a phrase is used that has zero meaning in the language you're translating to. Then you have to try to find some equivalent. Most of these are cultural jokes, plays on words, and such, and are simple to write out, but sometimes when the original writer is actually good, it fits into the dialogue too well and requires further liberties to change to something comprehensible.

Obviously just throwing meme references (as a lot of modern Nintendo titles tend to) into the translation where they didn't occur in the first place is shitty. But saying that taking any liberties with a translation doesn't make it a translation, not only shows how little you know about translating in the first place, but also shows how fucking retarded you are, that you would comment on something you have absolutely zero knowledge about.

I would suggest actually reading up on the topic of translating Eastern languages to English, and the long struggle we've had with each other, trying to figure out how to convey things "properly" when we have no common roots. Then come back and comment.
>>
>>2842036
I'm not the guy he was replying to, I'm just commenting on his poor picture and the evident hyperbole he used to stir up arguments.
>>
>>2842009
Probably an idiom.
>>
>>2842041

Fair enough. But even in that picture, just because the transliteration sounds retarded doesn't mean it's hyperbole. That's actually most transliterations. They sound retarded because certain concepts like the faux-pas of "don't use the same word twice in sequential sentences" doesn't exist in other languages. and as stated, words and phrases do not always have a literal translation in another language and must be explained in their own sentence, which is far too awkward for literature and scripts.
>>
>>2842041
So you'd rather have that direct translation than something completely made up that actually sounds good?
You're a special kind of retarded aren't you?
>>
>>2841914
Am I taking crazy pills? IT'S CLEARLY REFERENCING THE MEME
>>
>>2842036

I'd like to interject here (since I have experience in JP>EN translation). first of all, the languages are very different from each other. in particular, japanese is much more context-based than english, which means if you're translating a game/visual novel/etc it really helps to know the story/background of what you're working on, otherwise you can make blatant mistakes while not being technically wrong (this happens sometimes).
secondly, there are differences that you just have to work around. the dialects, and also cultural references - for example, pulling the eyelid down and showing the red part is a cheeky, mocking gesture which doesn't exist in the west. it's like a raspberry or thumbing your nose.
third, with all translations there's a balancing act. the art of translating is getting the literal meaning across while expressing it in a way that's natural, makes sense, and is easy to read (especially important for dialogue).
>>
>>2842071
it could just be a coincidence. doge didn't invent speaking in adjectives
>>
>>2842075
It's not though. It's referencing the meme. Trust me on this guys, I'm not retarded.
>>
>>2842080
i think you might be. youre more concerned with being right than being rational. again, doge-didn't-invent-speaking-in-adjectives
>>
It means nothing. He doesn't say it in the GBA version so it's pretty clear that Nintendo don'y think it means "Zelda is your sister" or anything else.
>>
>>2842073

Yeah. It's stupid to say no liberties should be taken, but it's also stupid to take any liberty you wish because you were too stupid/lazy to try to figure out how to make something work in between the two languages. It really is a difficult balancing act.
>>
>>2842054
Enjoy a world (made/with tons) of snow.

Yes it does sound substantially better. The bracket part is only implied and anyone with some rationale will get it.

>>2842059
It doesn't sound retarded to me, and I'm also against literal translations. The purpose of the sentence was to emphasize that place as a plausible haven for all things snow, and to enjoy it fully. Sure it could sound awkward but who's to say that character didn't normally talk like this? A thing when you're translating something is that you also have to be a good writer and get into the character minds.

That translator is probably a hack trying to sling some mud at autistically accurate translations.
>>
>>2842093
For me, I think just changing the line altogether would be better.
Something like, "Welcome to WhiteSnow, the snowman capital of the world."
Or something better. More flavor less dry.
>>
>>2842109
then it wouldn't be a direct translation
which is kind of the point of the joke
>>
>>2842118
I'm not talking about that joke in particular (which is fantastic) I'm talking about the folks earlier who said that anything that isn't a direct translation is sacrilegious.
>>
>>2841575
Either that, or they were afraid of Star Wars refs.
>>
>>2841103

Zelda is Link's tulpa
>>
>>2841890
Thank god I don't play new Nintendo games. I've held a grudge against them ever since Reggie shit on Mother 3.
>>
>>2841565
How does that not say "Y, you are...her..." just like the NA version? It looks like a perfectly accurate translation.
>>
>>2841565
Nothing about HOPE in the japanese text, retard
>>
>>2841565
"お前は姫の..." literally means "you're princess's..."

Where is the mistranslation? Except where they switched "Zelda" for "princess" which isn't really a mistranslation but a more liberal translation.
>>
>>2842417
>just like the NA version

Are you blind?
>>
>>2842451
"[the princess] is your" instead of "you are the princess's".
>>
File: zelda-femdom.jpg (135 KB, 800x580) Image search: [Google]
zelda-femdom.jpg
135 KB, 800x580
>>2841103
Zelda is your mistress.
>>
File: dogecontrolsfate.png (203 KB, 768x672) Image search: [Google]
dogecontrolsfate.png
203 KB, 768x672
>>2841585
>>
>>2841575
well duh
>>
>>2841294
Ganon isn't a pig person. Being in the Dark World turns him into a pig person just like how it turns Link into a rabbit person if he goes there without the moon stone-- which protects the bearer against the magic of the dark world.

Did you niggers even play the fucking game?
>>
>>2843213
>Did you niggers even play the fucking game?
Yes, and Ganon is never shown to have a human form in LttP.
>>
>>2843224
He's never shown in human form, but he's referred to as a man throughout the game and even in the manual

>The man who last claimed the Power of Gold wished for this world. It reflects his heart.

>The one who rediscovered the Golden Land was an evil thief named Ganondorf.

No Moon Pearl means he's a pig, just like Link was a rabbit.

I don't know if this was in the Japanese version, I've only played the Burger localization. I know Ganondorf's last name ("Dragmire") was made up by the localization team, but I'm assuming that's the only change.
>>
File: tC8Ml.jpg (22 KB, 398x272) Image search: [Google]
tC8Ml.jpg
22 KB, 398x272
>>2843224
He's shown in human in the manual.
>>
>>2844246

No, that's Agahnim, but you're actually more correct than you likely know: one of the things NOA fucked up with their localization is that Agahnim is not merely some evil magic dude being possessed by Ganon; he _is_ Ganon, as he appears in the Light World (at one point near the end-game he is even referred to by Ganon himself to be his "alter-ego", though the literal translation from Japanese is more like "other-self").

One of the defining themes of the game is Light and Dark, whether it be worlds, identities, or goals. Agahnim is Ganon's Light side.
>>
>>2841103
Zelda is my what?
my what?
MY WHAT?
I WANNA PUT MY DICK IN THAT
>>
Zelda is your waifu
>>
>>2844281
>one of the things NOA fucked up with their localization is that Agahnim is not merely some evil magic dude being possessed by Ganon

I don't remember the Western SNES version of LttP ever saying or implying that Agahnim was some possessed dude. There wasn't even any ambiguity in the story. Are you referring to the GBA version of the game?
>>
>>2844307

No, I'm not. In the manual and the beginning story in-game it appears as though Agahnim is an evil magician secretly in-league with Ganon and working to break the seal on the Dark World to free his "master". Which is not what is going on at all, naturally.
>>
>>2844317
Even when I first read the manual and played the game as a kid, I never got the impression that Agahnim and Ganon were two separate dudes.
>>
>>2842417
>>2842451
>I fucking fail at english
see >>2842492 you fucking idiot
>>
>>2844343
>No punctuation.
>Uncapitalized.

Thank you, Captain English.
>>
>Agahnim is Ganon
Nice headcanon. Also Ganon is a pig person in the first Zelda 1&2 where there's no light/dark world bullshit to confirm that he was always meant to be a pig person. It was only till OoT that he got a human form, Ganondorf.
>>
>>2844327

OK, now you're being contrary for the sake of being contrary. Especially if you read the manual, where thanks to increased space and NOA's penchant for long spiels of bullshit not supported in any way by canon they practically draw you a map leading toward that conclusion (however wrong it might be).
>>
>>2844374

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this post. Do you think I made this all up or are you saying that whether I did or not it makes sense? Because I read about it on an old Zelda fan site that did a side-by-side comparative analysis of the original Japanese, the romanized Japanese, the literal English translation, and NOA's translation.
>>
>>2844364
>implying those are relevant to understanding said sentence
nice deflect, stop being a dumbass
>>
>>2841923
we got a memeologist over here guys
>>
>>2844504
Stop, dude.
Take your hate back to /b/, asshole
>>
>>2842036
ROASTED
>>
>>2842036
>>2842073
Former translator/interpreter here. I've worked in entertainment/localisation a handful of times, so if you don't mind my input, I'd like to weigh-in with my opinion on the subject.

You have to also keep in mind that good localisation is equally important as good translation. Or perhaps even more so.
I think I've told this story on /vr/ before to show just how important localisation is, but here goes again:
I was once hanging out in mixed company, Brits, Americans and others. We went out for drinks at a Korean-run karaoke joint and after were wandering about for somewhere to eat something greasy, meaty and carb heavy, so I suggested a diner not too far from where we'd been drinking and we began to hoof it in that direction. Along the way, we passed an eye hospital and a super hot chick was outside with an eye patch. One of the Brits commented that he'd "give Pudsey the dick." The Americans and others of the group didn't get the joke because Pudsey Bear is just not a thing outside of the UK, really. Being one of the 'others' of the group and not a native speaker of English but being carted about several English-speaking countries growing up due to my parents' jobs, I'm in the unique position of understanding a lot of cultural cues from several different English-speaking countries that are just not present in others. As such, I got the joke and proceeded to explain: Pudsey's the mascot for a children's welfare charity. He wears a bandage over one of his eyes. That was the joke.

Being a translator, I always think of ways to translate or localise things into more universally understood ways while keeping the same basic idea intact, so perhaps I'd reference pirates or something. Instead, I decided that if that were a joke in a programme I was to localise for an American audience, I'd make a reference to Goonies. Something like "I'd give One-eyed Willy a one-eyed willie of my own!"
I think that's a decent example of good localisation.
>>
>>2846051
>"I'd give One-eyed Willy a one-eyed willie of my own!"
GOAT localisation. Please do a Kickstarter.
>>
>>2846116
>kickstarter
Is that one of these cyberweb things I hear all the kids talk about now or something?
To be serious for a sec, assuming you're not pulling my leg here, were I to start such a thing, I'd have no idea what to collect dosh for. I no longer work primarily in that field and am unable to read Japanese. I still do translation for extra income because, believe it or not, lecturers don't get paid well. And I only do technical documents and policy nowadays. Actually, even when I did translation as my primary source of income, it was still mostly technical/political stuff and not much of anything that needed localisation.
>>
>>2846051
Is this pasta or are you just telling us this story again?
>>
>>2846148
>Is this pasta or are you just telling us this story again?

>>2846051
>I think I've told this story on /vr/ before to show just how important localisation is, but here goes again:
You tell me.
>>
>>2842084
This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has included memes in their games though.... Remember the fedora reference in pokemon??
>>
>>2846143

Were you one of those cocks that advocated stripping games of their "problematic" elements? Like removing all elements of Japanese culture from JRPGs and other such douche-fuckery? -_-
>>
>>2846182
I've never advocated anything. I'm a simple former translator who can't into reading Moon. I don't politicise translation. Most people who translate/localise professionally don't have political stances on the topic one way or the other.

I'll say this: I grew up speaking quite a lot of languages and am fluent to conversational in about a dozen different ones. However, being able to speak the language to any degree doesn't mean you'll understand all the cultural aspects of jokes, metaphors and similes without having them explained to you. As such, even today, if I watch a comedy, I may get the puns and more obvious/more wordplay-based jokes, but the ones that deal with less obvious/more culturally-related/pop-cultural jokes, I may miss entirely.
For example, though I [obviously] speak it fluently, English is not my native language and I didn't spend extensive periods of time growing up in a single English-speaking country but, rather, several different ones. As such, some pop-cultural references of the English-speaking-world in general or of specific English-speaking countries in particular are completely lost to me.
Example: a character in Scream Queens speaks only in US 90s lingo. I missed that joke.

Even something as seemingly innocuous as accent can convey meaning to a native to that culture that translation just can't capture. I watched, for example, a Russian film once wherein a character was acting quite haughty. The joke was that he had an Ukrainian accent. It's like the Russian equivalent of having Cletus from The Simpsons perform Shakespeare.

Sometimes it's fine to translate directly. Others, it's best to localise. It varies case to case.

This is why I never did much localisation: I'm solidly technically-minded and not creatively-minded at all. As such, I've little aptitude in writing jokes or literature. A good localiser is first and foremost a good writer who just happens to be bi-or-multi-lingual.
>>
>>2846161
Is part of the reason you're not a translator anymore is because you're incapable of being brief?
>>
>>2846380
Then stop being a dick and give an answer plainly if you're going to tell a fucklong story I've already seen and expect me to notice what changed from last time.
>>
Shit like the essays posted above is what we have tl;dr for.

Then some lonely autist comes along thinking internet people will give a shit like and writes anyway.
>>
>>2846371
>Most people who translate/localise professionally don't have political stances on the topic one way or the other.

Times are changing.
>>
>>2846375
>>2846384
>>2846398

Go fuck a farm animal.

>>2846371

>Most people who translate/localise professionally don't have political stances on the topic one way or the other.

Nah, sorry. This I don't believe, and you probably shouldn't either. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar or any such thing; I'm sure you honestly think the translators you know are apolitical. But any group of people who thinks they have to have an official organization to represent their interests has by default become embroiled in politics. I remember a guy (forget his actual name, sorry) who worked on translating Xenogears. He outright refused to accurately translate the name of the final boss because it was essentially the Judaeo-Christian godhead and he legit thought crazy fundamentalists were going to bomb his business headquarters for being involved in a game where you killed Yahweh at the end.

I'm sorry, but that's some grade-A political cowardice right there.
>>
>>2846427
Oh, no, no, no. You misunderstand. We all have political motivations. I know I do. I'm sure everyone else I've ever met does, too. Just that those of us who have worked in translation and localisation don't really have any strong pro-localisation/anti-direct-translation or pro-direct-translation/anti-localisation stances. I've never met one, anyway. We're generally flexible on the point of localisation v translation is what I was getting at.

Xenogears-translator-guy's choice to swap out the Judeo-Christian god's name from the book was a localisation necessity. Beyond adjusting for cultural influences, localisation also involves making modifications to suit local mores and values. The US is a very religiously motivated nation and the vast majority of them are Jews or Christians. It would have been a poor choice from a business standpoint to translate that directly and I agree with his decision and it happens all the time.

Similarly, The Simpsons as redubbed for Arab nations has all references to alcohol and pork removed or altered because those are not suitable topics for a Muslim audience. However, this localisation shows the downsides of heavy localisation: the show went off the air rather quickly because much of the humour deals with Homer's (Omar's) drunkenness. With those funny bits edited out, there wasn't much of a show left and the show went off the air before finishing its first series/season.

Nothing should be exclusively localised nor exclusively translated directly. A mix of the two is important.
>>
>>2846427
>Equating politics to religion

You dumb mother fucker.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.