[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metroid Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: Super_Metroid_Cover.jpg (118 KB, 640x446) Image search: [Google]
Super_Metroid_Cover.jpg
118 KB, 640x446
Why the fuck can't you map angle up/down to anything but L and R?
>>
because there are only 6 buttons and mapping that to A,B,X or Y would be even worse.
>>
>>2840984
There are 7 usable buttons
And no it would not be worse.
>>
yeah because jumping/shooting would work so well with the L/R buttons. to each his own, but sounds ridiculous to me.
>>
>>2841021
Not jumping and shooting, dashing
>>
>>2841021
>i was born after 1997, disregard my opinions
>>
>>2841046

you obviously were. if not you wouldn't be bitching about a game that was perfect back then and still is now. eat dick.
>>
who cares, you can map them to anything with emulators
>>
>>2841052
>who cares
People who are playing on SNES or VC
>>
>>2841053
> Not disassembling your controller and remapping the buttons that way.
Go back to /v/ newb.
>>
>>2841053
>actually buying things from the VC, which only retards do
I reiterate: who cares
>>
>>2841062
>>2841052
people playing on hardware, who don't want delay.
>emufags
And don't say the delay isn't noticeable, because I notice it
>>
File: 266969-h1.jpg (114 KB, 620x352) Image search: [Google]
266969-h1.jpg
114 KB, 620x352
>>2841313
Then you're either using a super shitty computer or an outdated emulator. Or the possibility that you're delusional.

At any rate, I like buying things off VC, even though I don't like playing them there. Things are reasonably priced and I look at it more like I'm chipping in support for classic games like this.

The one exception is the M2 3D Sega ports because those are just incredible. Even almost makes Alter'd Beast worth playing. Almost.
>>
File: shape_of_happiness_page4.jpg (1 MB, 840x1074) Image search: [Google]
shape_of_happiness_page4.jpg
1 MB, 840x1074
I just beat Super Metroid for the first time recently. I know tons of people have completed it before me, but it felt good.

It was a lot more linear than I thought it would be, though. Unless I'm missing something. It feels like you need to intentionally break the game in order to go off course.
>>
>>2843842
>It feels like you need to intentionally break the game in order to go off course.
You don't need to 'break the game' but you do need to use more advanced techniques. It is fairly linear if you don't sequence break, it's kind of one of the reasons it fares well, people who just want to play through and be done with it and new gamers will find a game that doesn't overwhelm them. But for seasoned players and speed runners, the sequence breaks affords you a significantly less linear game. The game is also mostly designed so you really can't get trapped anywhere you sequence break, a testament to it's great design. The best games are usually designed in such a way that it can be played and enjoyed by new players, decent players and great players with equal levels of enjoyment and challenge (though in different areas).
>>
>>2841634

>Or the possibility that you're delusional.

I think we have a winner there, Doc Phil.
>>
Elder God Tier:
Super Metroid

High Tier:
Metroid (FDS version)

Mid Tier:
Metroid Zero Mission

Low Tier:
Metroid II: Return of Samus

Shit Tier:
Metroid Fusion
>>
>Metroid (FDS version) above Metroid II

The first Metroid had very bad mechanics. Metroid II was a HUGE step up from its predecessor.
>>
>>2843842
Dump the rest?
>>
>>2846724
He's dumb enough to call Fusion shit, so there's no sense in arguing.
>>
>>2846731
Fusion was linear garbage and started the whole "Samus can't do anything by herself" meme that carried on into MP3 and Other M.

Get some fucking taste, guttertrash.
>>
>>2846724
>areas are segmented off until you kill specific metroids
>the only enemies in the game besides the final boss are metroids

Yeah, nah. RoS sucked dick.
>>
>>2846739
That's not as bad as enemies respawning as soon as their spawn points are off screen and having a very "floaty" jump, making dodging flying enemies difficult.
>>
>>2846736
There's nothing bad about linear gaming.
>>
>>2840976
shut up bitch
>>
>>2846764
It is in a series known for its non-linear sequence-breakable level designs.
>>
>>2847110
Since when is the metroid series known for its sequence breaks in anything other than the tiny ass speed running community
>>
>>2841021
Jump stays on A
Shoot is R
Mode is L
Gun Select is Select
Dash is B
X/Y is down/up angle

Why can't i?
>>
>>2847161
Sort of like this?
>>
>>2847120
Parts of the game are set up just in case you somehow managed to get there by skipping a ton of shit.
>>
>>2847161

because you CAN'T.

/thread
>>
File: Young Samus.png (157 KB, 600x733) Image search: [Google]
Young Samus.png
157 KB, 600x733
>>2846727
It's up here: http://www.metroid-database.com/manga/?vid=32&cid=156

>>2846736
I think you're forgetting the part where she finally raised a huge middle finger to the Federation and crashed their science lab. Or kept on going even when her computer was intentionally tossing her into places he thought would kill her.

From a certain point of view, you could argue she'd pretty much been bending over to the Federation until Fusion came along.
>>
>>2843842
>crossdressing Kraid

wherefore-erection.jpg
>>
>>2841053
You can remap the buttons on VC for Wii U.
>>
>>2840976
Because you're not playing in an emulator, like a non-neet.
>>
Y'all excite for AMR2?

>>2846736
>Fusion was linear garbage
It sure is rather linear, but it's very well done linear.
>started the whole "Samus can't do anything by herself" meme
You mean "Samus can't do anything by herself when she has lost all her abilities and is being hunted by a fucking full power clone of herself and there's a never seen before alien species rampaging around". Adam wasn't ordering Samus around because she'd be incapable of doing shit by herself, it was because she was on Federation territory and had agreed to directly work with the Feds. And furthermore, Samus getting her upgrades depended (at first) on the Federation.
It was all completely justified by the story and as Samus got stronger she also started acting outside of orders because she could now afford to do so. And then there are the things >>2849646 mentioned.
>>
>>2847110
Only four games in the entire series follow that formula directly - and only three if you're not counting Zero Mission as a completely separate game.
>>
>>2841313
Modern emulators have no delay
>>
File: accessarea3buy.png (19 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
accessarea3buy.png
19 KB, 320x240
>>2852472
>Y'all excite for AMR2?

"no"
>>
>>2840976
It's for the best. Most Sega fans would kill to have more than three buttons. The convenience of shoulder buttons even, which they never got in a way that compares.
>>
>>2852543
I finished the latest released demo and there was no money counter at the bottom right man.
>>
>>2852472
>replying to the epic /v/ shitmemeposter
>>
>>2852543
wouldn't be a shame if they got a c&d huh?
>>
>>2853123
this is why fan developers should fucking open source their shit
it's the only fool-proof way to ensure that a project doesn't die when a C&D hits
it's not like they're going to try to sell it
>>
>>2841050
>Super Metroid
>perfect

It's my favourite game of all time, but jesus it's people like you who encourage developers to stagnate and never improve.
>>
>>2853101
>using sage as a downvote

If you hate it so much then leave
>>
I finished it for the first time as well just yesterday, beat it again since and managed to get just under 3 hours.

Best game I've played in a long time, and one of my new all-time favourites. I want to keep playing this game forever until I die.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.