[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your opinion on Digital Devil Story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: pyramid.png (584 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
pyramid.png
584 KB, 4096x3584
Your opinion on Digital Devil Story
>>
The depicted Famicom game or also the story, OVA, computer game or the SFC remake?
>>
>>2839701
The first one is meh, Megami Tensei 2 is fantastic just for the music alone and arguably has the best music for the NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEzqWGp2WA
>>
>>2839895
>This video contains content from Victor Entertainment, Inc.. It is not available in your country.
But the game was never officially released in my country.
>>
>>2839907
...For you
>>
>>2839914
Tell me about Victor.

Why does he ban the music?
>>
I enjoyed the first... three novels? I remember finding them translated and enjoying them greatly. Never actually touched the games. OVA was pretty boss.
>>
>>2839701
I recently played through all the translated SNES Megaten games, and Kyuuyaku was my favorite by far.

Regarding DDS1, demon fusion was primitive but that's to be expected. The story was vague but leaving more to the imagination makes it more exciting. I appreciate how it was straight dungeon crawling, and that's its biggest strength. I wish SMT had been more like that, especially when I had to put it with shenanigans like getting Alice a goddamn hiranya and stuff like that to move forward.

DDS2 was my absolute favorite game, and DDS1 felt like a great prelude to it. SMT2 seemed like a remake of DDS2 in a way, the story has a extremely similar structure, only DDS2 kept the 2esoteric4me bullshit to a minimum, and I think it's the better game for it.

I haven't read the novels, but the OVA was badass and did help me understand wtf I was actually doing in DDS1.
>>
First novel is pretty much crap, the second is an improvement but still quite far from good.

I'd like to play the game but the remake is all that's translated and I don't much care for playing remakes before the originals. Feels bad, man. I won't do it.
>>
>>2840585
DDS 1 has it's Famicom Version translated. Only DDS II doesn't have its famicom translation.
>>
>>2840585
>and I don't much care for playing remakes before the originals
Then you shouldn't play translated versions either.

In my opinion FC DDS1 has a shitty interface and passwords instead of a real save system.
>>
I dropped KMT1, too samey for my tastes. Never tried 2
>>
>>2841361
You should really try 2 it's really great.
>>
>>2841389
is it really that different from 1 though?
>>
>>2841478
Very. It has an overworld and semi open world exploration. The story is way better as well.
>>
Is Shin Megami Tensei If... Any good?
>>
>>2839701
Just ordered Famicom copies of I and II for my collection, probably going to buy an EverDrive to play I in english on actual hardware. It's a shame the FC version of II isn't translated because the music in KMT sucks in comparison.
>>
>>2842683
Wouldn't know, still waiting in AG to release the translation.
>>
>>2841478
2 is basically a proto-SMT game. If you like SMT or SMT2 then you'll like KMT2.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.