[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a thread for cabinets? I would like to build my own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8
File: tumblr_nqougmC0k51tttzvco1_500.jpg (130 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqougmC0k51tttzvco1_500.jpg
130 KB, 500x667
Can we have a thread for cabinets?
I would like to build my own and I need some inspiration. Anything goes, custom-built or otherwise
>>
File: ci-120511172818-960.jpg (66 KB, 548x960) Image search: [Google]
ci-120511172818-960.jpg
66 KB, 548x960
I've always been in love with Neo Geo cabs, always wanted one of my own but they are a fucking bitch to find in the UK plus expensive.

Always thought about making my own but I'd need plans.
>>
File: MsPacMan2.jpg (133 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
MsPacMan2.jpg
133 KB, 400x533
>>2839365

always reminds me of akira for some reason. great cabinets

I've been thinking of doing something like the colors and shape of a ms pacman cabinet but I want the screen to be more upright. this is probably my favorite cabinet though, in terms of look
>>
File: SSL10560.jpg (161 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
SSL10560.jpg
161 KB, 768x1024
I'm a sucker for baby blue cabinets
>>
Fucking hell I want one too but I don't have any access to any kind of workshop.
There's a hardware store somewhat nearby but it just seems like an impossible feat to first buy a fuckload of wood and then start cutting the parts with a handsaw on my livingroom floor.
Maybe one day.
>>
>>2839378
Dude you're so right.

I'm trying to make an atari bartop arcade from a broken tv plug and play, also i picked up golden tee 97 (in bg) the other day for 25 bucks, managed to get it working which kinda gave me inspiration for the whole thing.
>>
File: SAM_1902.jpg (626 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1902.jpg
626 KB, 1600x1200
>>2839443
forgot pic, whoops never done that before
>>
>>2839365
You could always go on neo-geo.com and see if theres someone from the UK who will let you measure, I think theres also schematics online.

Making your own cab wouldn't be a bad idea, but some stuff will be a bitch to make like all the metal brackets.

I have one thats a bit beaten up and I've thought about you know, stripping off the vinyl and repainting it or recovering it and I think I'm just not going to bother. Its kind of cool and gives it a bit of character, since its obviously been moved around a bunch of times and been in several arcades.

If I was going to do a "full restore" I'd just take the guts out of the cabinet and build a whole new wood cabinet. I thought about doing something crazy like a silver cabinet since my games room has a very monochromatic feel to it.
>>
for some reason I really like the tmnt cabinet that has pictures plastered all over every surface. it's definitely not a "classy" piece but there's something about it that makes me happy. I think it'd be pretty cool to make a trashy cabinet with a bunch of airbrushed pictures of gaming characters

>>2839442
I have access to a workshop and a bandsaw. I don't think I'd even consider it if I had to do with a handsaw
>>
Years ago I set about building an arcade machine. I still have the cabinet and the control panel and the PC, but the PC probably needs updated so that I can run more modern mame games, and the CRT I was using is now the main TV for retro stuff so I'm not sure if I'll ever try again to build the cabinet.

The thing that turns me off the most is the need to get artwork and moreover, control panel labels and controls guide images for when people boot up a game. Then there's the work involved with culling the library on a mame machine so that you aren't stuck with a billion crappy mahjong and quiz games.

It's just a ton of work to get it 100% and I don't think I care enough anymore. I'd rather just drag the controller out to the coffee table and play games from an HTPC every once in a while.
>>
File: ICB_BP2_WoodGrainVinyl_5.jpg (211 KB, 530x798) Image search: [Google]
ICB_BP2_WoodGrainVinyl_5.jpg
211 KB, 530x798
>>2839454
>The thing that turns me off the most is the need to get artwork and moreover, control panel labels and controls guide images for when people boot up a game
A lot of early cabinets were simple woodgrain sides with paper inserts for the control panel.
Culling the library of a mame set-up is easy (once you get one that works ;-;), just copy the files, delete all the games, and add back in the ones you know you want.

The problem most run into with mame machines is that they want an all-in-one, which is really far more effort than its worth. Decide what you want to play the most, fighters, lightgun, racers, shmups, or golden age atari type shit.
It'll be a lot easier to specialize and have multiple cabinets or multiple control panels that you can swap out.
>>
>>2839442
There are places you can go to rent workshop space or use tools etc. It might be what you're looking for, they are usually well stocked with what you need.
>>
I've been wanting Gauntlet Legends for fucking ages.

And an original Pac-Man cocktail table.
>>
File: Virtua_Cop_2_-_1995_-_Sega.jpg (93 KB, 625x1080) Image search: [Google]
Virtua_Cop_2_-_1995_-_Sega.jpg
93 KB, 625x1080
I want a virtua cop cab sooo bad. so many memories.
>>
>>2839359
If you haven't worked on cabinets before there is basically zero chance you'll build one from scratch. Another fantasy thread.
You could consider buying a cab you like and building your own control panel. That will take plenty of time and learning and give you experience you can apply towards eventually building one if you decide to.

>>2839454
The stuff that turns you off is stuff that's not necessary. Most people play on mame cabinets that are mostly just a solid color.
>>
>>2840196
>And an original Pac-Man cocktail table.

>dad spent like over a grand to get my mom one of those
>comes with like nine pages of games with six games on each page or something
>bur a third at least are just slightly different versions of the games
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.