[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for what's known as a "famiclone&
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: FamilyGame.png (2 MB, 1168x760) Image search: [Google]
FamilyGame.png
2 MB, 1168x760
I'm looking for what's known as a "famiclone", so I thought that we could discuss those retro-machine clones in general anyway.

whats you opinion on them?

also - is there any half-way decent one that comes with straight ripped roms from NES games on aliexpress.com?
all I find seem to have weird china-games

I just want something really cheap that allows for playing 8bit-era retro stuff on a TV - since a NES everdrive is too expensive for my current situation. only two criteria: first, it should have at least a couple of good NES classics on it and should have 2 controllers for co-op play

alternatively: are there any "gazillion-in-1" cartridges that work on a real NES (I do have a working PAL european one)? that would be an option too.
>>
As far as I understand it the older clones were actual hardware clones and all the clones you see today are pretty much an emulator on a chip,if you just want a cheap way to play nes games they are good I guess but expect shoddy build quality and dodgy emulation ,and the bootleg carts are all designed to work on the real system but you would need a cartridge converter for famicom to nes
>>
>>2835349
wouldn't emulator chips be straight up more expensive than direct clones?

they obviously have quality issues - but that's just a trade-off thing.
>>
>>2835353
Reproducing exact hardware is about 500x more expensive than an emulator on a chip. There is almost no components in a "on a chip" machine. In fact if it supports original controllers, the hardware for the controller ports is most likely more money than the main board.
>>
>>2835353
It's a lot cheaper for companies to put together a low-end x86 system with an emulator than to actually reproduce the old hardware
>>
>>2835814
More likely low-end ARM now.
>>
>>2835370
>>2835814
>>2835824

so, which one should one buy?
>>
>>2835814
x86 is never cheap.
>>
The NOAC is pretty decent these days so if all you want is a Famiclone there's a bunch under $20 on AliExpress I recommend getting one that has controller ports that are compatible with real controllers. You should be able to get a Retro Duo around $20 in the US. They have SNES controller ports.

You don't want built in games you want multicarts and unfortunately the Retro Duo would need an adapter to play Famicom multicarts which are much cheaper.
>>
Damn this one is dirt ass cheap. I guess if you wanted to be super cheap, when the controllers gave out you could cut their cords to wire up some nes controllers. The pinouts are online.
>>
>>2835341
>you opinion
me opinion is they funny. I don't actually play on them much but I have a pretty large collection just because they're weird.

>>2835349
Most clones are hardware clones with the exception of a couple very recent emulation boxes. Hardware clones are still made, probably the majority of what's made.

>>2835370
Reproducing exact hardware has never been done by anyone other than Nintendo so you don't know how much it costs. Unless of course your dad told you.
>>
File: spicaloose3.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
spicaloose3.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
>tfw only had the spica as a kid
>it came with tons of spica bootleg carts
>there was the original one, but the price was way over the roof for us
>"why would anyone want to buy the original?"
>>
File: 1442943639593.jpg (77 KB, 388x296) Image search: [Google]
1442943639593.jpg
77 KB, 388x296
>>2837123
Spica
You said spic.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.