[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best standalone NES clone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 41Pz2lcVrgL._SY400_.jpg (19 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
41Pz2lcVrgL._SY400_.jpg
19 KB, 500x337
What's the best standalone NES clone?
>>
Not that hideous thing, whatever the fuck it is.
>>
>>2834589
>i don't know what it is so it's bad
>>>/v/
>>
>>2834589
It's a $15 dorrar Famiclone called the "8-bit entertainment system"
>>
An NES.
>>
>clones
may as well retroll5
>>
I have a Retro Duo that I got for $6 and it works fine, uses SNES controllers. It saves wear and tear on my real hardware so I can't really complain about it. I haven't specifically noticed any major flaws in it.
>>
>>2834595
>sending people to other boards
>>>/pol/
>>
yobo? itg works!
>>
>>2834828
But the Retron 5 costs 6 times as much.
>>
>>2835509
Your wife's love is priceless
>>
>>2834578
Dendy.
>>
>>2834578
laptop + hdmi cable
>>
File: 415J8GUp-KL.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
415J8GUp-KL.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
This works for me. Plays NES and Famicom titles pretty well.
>>
>>2835509
I bought a retron just for the hdmi, the controllers kind of suck but the system works fine. Plus it has an active support base with updates. It gets a ton of shit on here but is probably the best clone out there. It's perfect for my front room where I can't have all my retro consoles on display. I wish it had a hucard slot for turbo games but nothing is perfect.
>>
>>2835539

This, obviouly.
>>
File: dendy3.jpg (145 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
dendy3.jpg
145 KB, 800x400
>>2835539
Dendy on account of the weird ripoff cartridge covers alone
>>
Why does the AVS NES never get mentioned around here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZIoq7pp34
>>
>>2835694
because it isn't fucking out yet
>>
>>2834578
IQ-1000

>>2835539
Is that because you prefer the classic look over the additional features or because you don't know it's just a rebranded IQ-50x?
>>
>>2835598
It's not a clone, it's a shitty Emulator running stolen software. It's as much an NES clone as my desktop is, only less because my I can run Higan which is far more accurate then the outdated shit they're running.
>>
>>2835673
I. What. WHAT
>>
If it's a NoaC it's not the best at anything. If they have discrete ICs then it might be worth something but those can be expensive even compared to authentic hardware due to collectors.
>>
>>2835581
Are you deaf by any chance?
>>
>>2834578

I like the way it looks but I bet that it
>Makes Kirby's Adventure sound like shit
>grabs the cartridge and never lets go
>can't play castlevania 3
>>
>>2838664
Not having played one of these, or a genuine physical NES in decades, enlighten us.
>>
I bought a retron 5 for game capture stuff, and because it's easier than setting up different consoles.
>>
>>2838740
Not that guy but for some reason there's a really obnoxious popping sound when it plays jackal. I cannot find other gameplay videos of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxYtz0YwEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikM-VAsii1k
>>
>>2837104
not that anon, but since you seem to know something

how are clones possible? i mean, what are clones actually?
if someone is able to replicate the chips, doesnt that mean that the architecture is known and someone could make a perfect emulator?

also, why dont we have a clone with an SDcard port se we can have ROMs and non-emulated gameplay at the same time?
>>
>>2835598
>Plus it has an active support base with updates
must be pretty easy to support when they didn't write any of the emulators to begin with. I want those fucks at Hyperkin to be sued into oblivion for stealing code.

inb4 it's open source, They shouldn't have been telling lies about it.
>>
>>2838831
Clones replicate the hardware, true clones are part-for-part duplicates, on a circuit design level, but could have different parts to achieve the same effect, use off-brand or replicated chips, or have a significantly different form factor.

And yes, the architecture is very well known. It was easier, back then, since much more of what made a console the console it was was the hardware in it, integrated circuits and software were much more simple.
>>
>>2838831
I think NES emulation is perfect.
>>
>>2838907
The closest we see is the stuff coming out of Higan, but it's still imperfect and is a pretty impressive resource hog.

Emulation can get playable long before it gets perfect. For perfect emulation you have to actually emulate flaws in the hardware and software of the original platform.

In a way, NES emulators are too perfect. They have none of the flaws of the NES, and as such are not fully accurate emulations.

For some people it matters, for a lot of people it doesn't. But in gaming small stuff does add up to getting a solid feel.
>>
>>2838831
clones are either hardware or software recreations of the original hardware. Generally, it involves either emulating the NES (like a Retron 5) or using what's called a "System on a Chip" to replicate the behavior of the original hardware.

Recently, using FPGAs has become more popular since it's hardware emulation (like a System on a Chip) and you can fix any bugs you come across or simply improve accuracy with firmware updates (unlike a System on a Chip).

To recap:
- Clones can be software emulation
- Clones can be hardware emulation
- Clones are not the real thing
>>
>>2838664
No.

But between burning through 5 genuine NES consoles in my lifetime (constantly dying or bugging out while playing) and the opportunity to play both Famicom and NES titles, I don't care if the sound gets funny.
>>
File: golden-axe-4.jpg (41 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
golden-axe-4.jpg
41 KB, 620x368
>>2837140
ever played Golden Axe 4 on dendy?
>>
>>2839026
>Clones can be software emulation
No one but a few poor children accept this definition.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.