[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What modern controllers do you guys own that are prime for emulation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
What modern controllers do you guys own that are prime for emulation? I was recently reminded of the new MadCatz Fightpad Pro and imagined all of the games this controller would be perfect for.
>>
>>2833606
fuck fucking matcatz

dual shock 3 is good
>>
I use a DS4

The Wii U Pro is my second favorite modern controller though I don't own one myself.

If I weren't so content with the DS4 I'd probably go with a Saturn controlpad for anything that didn't need analog sticks
>>
>>2834597
MadCatz makes good arcade sticks. It's the only thing they make well. And that's only because the parts are cheap and it's impossible to fuck up if you're using real parts.
>>
It depends.

I like using my DS4 for most things, since it works and has analog triggers.
For 2D games, I'll often switch to my Wii Classic Pro because I prefer the d-pad.

Very seldom I'll switch to my PS2 controller. It's the only controller I have that doesn't round the corners when rotating the analog sticks, so I actually get the full range of motion for Mega Man Legends 2 instead of switching to walk whenever I hit diagonals.
>>
>>2833606
DS4 is great, binds with no drivers in windows 8/10 if your Bluetooth supports it (2.1 EDR+ iirc, check google)

I picked _Input Mapper_ software because it seemed the most sanitary (I had some shitty PS3 Bluetooth shit that nuked a windows install) way to get almost full functionality out of it.

It binds it and makes it look like a xbox controller for modern games, and you can bind anything to it, proportional WASD, arrow keys, any keyboard button, and the touchpad works as a mouse.

Audio doesn't work, author has said that the joystick specifically enters another mode when it detects you're a PC and not a PS4 and shuts down the audio profile.

It's understandable, the Bluetooth spectrum gets eaten up fast, and the vast, vast majority of PC Bluetooth devices are utter shit. (Get an Intel wireless card with Bluetooth integrated, comes with a great antenna)
--My response goes from 2 ms with one controller to 4ms with controller+A2DP headset to 6-8ms with two controllers. Sometimes they get a weird priority and one will be 2ms and the other will be 10.
>>
File: neogeo2controller1.jpg (395 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
neogeo2controller1.jpg
395 KB, 700x525
I use a ps3 controller if I'm emulating a console game. But you absolutely cannot go wrong emulating arcade games with this bad boy. I'm not sure why I make a distinction but for some reason console games just don't feel right on it. MAME tho
>>
I don't like Dualshocks for 2D games because the split dpad hurts my thumb.
>>
File: Fighting Commander 4.jpg (217 KB, 900x667) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Commander 4.jpg
217 KB, 900x667
I use this and it's fantastic.
>>
>only one stick
>LS/RS switch
JUST
>>
>>2834607
If you think about it. They don't really make them as much as they design a box and add features. Mad Catz is going to go under if they kept making these expensive products for a very niche market.
>>
>>2834829
GROCE
>>
>>2834878
Its really good for the price. Its wired, you can spin the dpad. You can hold it in one hand. Its great for Sega emulation.
>>
>>2834846
>fighting game
>needing more than one stick

JUST
>>
>>2833606
think that this pad could work on PC as a controller + mouse trackpad? That would be neat to try for some genre I'm sure.
>>
>>2834882
>you can spin the d-pad

Like, for q-bert?
>>
I use a Dualshock 4. It's a better version of the Dualshock 3. Except the battery life, it sucks.
>>
>>2835031
no you can sort of shift the angle that it sits at. From 0-20 degrees
>>
>>2835076
oh, well that's kind of cool I guess
>>
>>2833606
I use a Wii U Pro Controller. It has enough buttons, it's fully usable out of the box, and its battery life is insane.
>>
>>2835109
Yeah depending on the game I tend to find Nintnedo's D-pads better for things like platformers where the snapping in to a direction really helps well the more rolling Sega approach is better for fighters and shmups, but then I tend to go stick for those.
>>
>>2835109
15 hours is insane?
>>
>>2835064

If I'm playing on my PC I keep the DS4 wired anyway, even still it's like 6 hours which is fine
>>
>>2835027

The DS4's trackpad works as a mouse on PC, I haven't found any use for it because it's not a great trackpad but it's there.

I mean it works great for quick swipes or pressing one of the corners for a button on the PS4 games that do that but if you use it like a mouse it's like any mediocre laptop trackpad.
>>
>>2834679
Would love to own one of those since I found playing KoF on my Neo Geo pocker color fucking apex because of that nub.
>>
I was about to buy a dualshock 4 to play roms but it costs 120usd where i live.
>>
>>2837632
Aww shit man, just get a Logitech F310.

>works out of the box
>has XInput and Direct Input for maximum compatability on any emulator
>Direct Input mode works on PS3 minus Home button
>DOSBox loves it and wants to marry it

need I say more?
>>
>>2837638
Hows the D-pad?

I wanted the ds4 because the d-pad is not so bad like the xbone.
>>
>>2837638
>>2837651
nvm i just googled and here it costs even more than the ds4.
>>
>>2833606
I get shitty USB versions of classic controllers, then swap the guts on real controllers so the USB one feels right.
>>
>>2837654
What? are you serious? The F310 cost like $25 or less where I live.
>>
DS4 for dpad games, Xbone controller for stuff that needs the analog sticks.
>>
Do people really like the Dualshock dpad, split into four parts like that?
I don't mean compared to Xbox -- forget Xbox.
I mean compared to things like Hori's pads, Buffalo SNES USB, etc.
>>
>>2835027
you know i actually have seen a guy playing an old pc point and click game thats also a first person shooter using the ps4 controller and it's a very interesting control scheme he's got going on with it
>>
>>2836204
Pro Controller gets at least 50 hours.
>>
I'm trying to find a good condition original xbox controller to use for 6 buttons consoles like genesis and n64

the only one I've found has a wandering analog stick, but it's a comforable controller
>>
File: pad.jpg (68 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pad.jpg
68 KB, 1000x1000
when emulating on PC, DS3 is a go to device for me. While on the go, I eighter use Vita or cheap Samsung pad with build in phone holder. Both have decent battery life and lag non issue, as I play mostly slow paced games.
>>2838025
Not really. I find Snes and generally Nintendo consoles have best dpads from what I could compare, thou 3k PSP is close contender.
>>
>>2834597
Madcatz got a lot better over the years. Their controllers are pretty decent these days. I use one of their brawl pads for most 8 and 16 bit games now.
>>
>>2833606
China controllers and Logitech. You mad?
>>
>>2836161
>>2836204
>>2838167
The PS3 Controller gets 30 hours. What are Nintendofags always so mad? They're like the autistic Steve Jobs of console gaming.
>>
>>2837623
>>2834679
Microswitches are the fucking tits man.

I was actually considering adapting an SNES advantage so it ran off of microswitches instead , but at that point I don't think its worth it to use an advantage.

I'll probably just end up grabbing some shitty SNES and NES controllers, making some wooden boxes and using actual push buttons and sticks wired to the PCB.

I think that would be good. I can't use those shoddy sticks anymore because they just don't feel right.
>>
>>2838159
wht game? I'd like to try that.
>>
>>2838167
Bull fucking shit, I have one. 15.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.