[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>20 fucking years of soccer games improvements >Year after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: pro2.jpg (31 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
pro2.jpg
31 KB, 500x373
>20 fucking years of soccer games improvements
>Year after year PES become worse
>Year after year FIFA is the same shit
>ISS Pro Evolution 2 still the best soccer game ever
>>
Winning Eleven 6 to 10 were the best. They are not /vr/ tho
>>
>soccer
gab that to me mug and see what comes about
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
Football
>>
>>2833303
That N64 football game with the dating sim was the greatest ever
>>
>>2833303
senpai everyone knows that PES6 is the pinnacle of the series, and genre while at it
>>
>>2833412
What makes pes6 better?
>>
>>2833303
>Last football game I owned before last week was fifa 2002
>Due to xbone gameshare I now have fifa 2016

I have no idea wtf I'm doing in this game I have to be honest. Why do sports games not have fucking tutorials? I don't even understand what the hell half the menus mean!

Fifa 2002 you pick teams and press x to pass and circle to shoot and end up with scores like a fucking basketball game after 5 minutes.

Football glory, now THAT was a football game. Any game where you can attempt to beat up the ref for getting red carded is a good game.
>>
The FIFA games have been pretty consistently good, but PES got lost along the way.
>>
Honestly don't give money to the FIFA, they're a bunch of corrupt old men.

The best games are the old international superstar soccer/winning eleven game by Konami, Virtua Striker by Sega, and this: >>2833393
>>
FIFA 2000 is kind of my jam, although pic related is fun as fuck once you get into it.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafCE6GJrhQ
>>
I've only ever enjoyed basketball games. Soccer games are probably fun, but I don't know much about the sport.
>>
>>2833303
>not Nintendo World Cup
>>
>>2833567
HAHAHAHAHA that was awesome
>>
>>2833549
Was about to post this, this game's really fucking good.

That password system though.
>>
>>2833409
>dating sim
>football

please expound
>>
Every couple of years I buy a new FIFA or a new PES, but it's all just the same shit every time. The graphics are nice but the gameplay never improves, in fact, I think it gets worse over time. Even the newest FIFA Street was garbage. The most fun I've had with a sports game in recent years was Mario Strikers Charged.

The only thing to look forward to now is the Kick Off and Sensible Soccer remakes, but I'm afraid nobody will buy those because people don't give a shit if it's not FIFA.
>>
>>2833446
the goal of modern sports games is to carry the same old 'look like a TV game' of before, but now to also make themselves into accurate simulations of playing a sport, by forcing upon you awkward inputs which require a learning curve to master.

It's kind of surprising, the amount of finesse you need to play these games expertly is much higher than the average gaming enthusiast is willing to admit.

Me, I don't care enough about the reality of sports, so I stay away from advanced simulations and stick to the arcade-style games.
So if I'm looking for a good footy game for 4+ players, what's a good option?
>>
>>2835096
still sounds retarded to me, it's an accurate simulation of a sport played with feet... on a controller you use with your fingers?
even fishing/golf simulators make more sense than this
>>
>>2835115

what sounds retarded is that argument. do you feel the same problem when making a character move on screen in any other game with the d-pad?
>>
>>2835121
I don't know, man, I don't claim shit like Mario is a realistic jumping plumber simulator. just sayin'
>>
>>2835124

then don't expect the same from a different title just because it's a sports game. it makes you look stupid.
>>
>>2835127
But the vast majority of these games pride themselves on realism.
Also, no need to be a dick 2bqh familia
>>
>>2835127
your right mang I admit defeat
>>
>>2833409

I'd actually like to know this as well, I vaguely remember reading about that being a feature in a career mode of one of Konami's games from around that time. I only ever had EA's World Cup 98 game so I don't know.

The future for this kind of game really doesn't look good, given that Konami seem to be self destructing. EA's games are bad enough when they do have competition to go up against, now they'll really be able to do whatever the fuck they want.
>>
1. PES 2006 (I know its not retro but its the best game)
2. ISS Pro Evolution 2
3. ISS Deluxe
4. Virtua Soccer 2
5. NeoGeo Cup 98
>>
>ISS PES2 still the best soccer game

The first one is actually better as the AI is smarter and don't let you bullshit with shit tricks like 1-2 or long passes which will always let you score like other WE games, and even let you dribble if you have a good player. The second ISS PES game is exactly the same as WE2002
>>
File: libero grande.webm (2 MB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
libero grande.webm
2 MB, 638x479
>people always forget about Libero Grande

That's sad to be desu. It's a unique concept for a football game, as I haven't played the new iterations of Winning Eleven I don't know if they kept that mode where you play like this, controlling only one player.

YOU
GOT
GOAL
>>
>>2835208

goal by potato
>>
>>2833567
Wait, there's a dog in the game?
>>
Rocket league lulz
>>
>>2835208
This is the thing I actually enjoy in the new fifa over the 2002 version. I can play online with my friends and we all just take one position. I play midfield cos I'm good at passing and tackling but bad at shooting. Still get the occasional goal tho! They're all the result of terrible clusterfucks in the box but every little helps
>>
>>2835294

You can do it in any WE/PES game playing with a multitap too, I have fond memories about playing with my friends and trying to coordinate 8 dudes in the same team. Man, fuck online playing. Games are so much more fun playing with real people by your side.
>>
File: Super_Shot_Soccer.jpg (108 KB, 275x278) Image search: [Google]
Super_Shot_Soccer.jpg
108 KB, 275x278
guys pls
>>
>>2833393
The second one is so hilarious and amazing. Very sad it wasn't localized.
>>
>>2835208
This looks really fun.

MAME?
>>
>>2835312
So do any Saturn versions exist for 10-player action? There's a basketball game that does 5v5, don't see why there couldn't be 10 players + AI keeper on a soccer team vs the AI.
>>
>>2838362

Yes, and also PS1.
>>
>>2838037
second one?
>>
For some reason I enjoyed this. Yet, it's not anything special, and I usually don't like soccer games. I'm not sure what clicked.
>>
>>2840303

Had lots of fun with this game, it's a shame the game animations are so choppy.

FORZA
>>
File: 0.jpg (28 KB, 195x309) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
28 KB, 195x309
>sports games
>when you could just go outside and play said sport in your backyard
Never understood the appeal of these games.
>>
>>2840331
>racing games
>when you could just buy a car and drive

>platformers
>when you could just go outside and walk

>first person shooters
>when you can just get a gun and shoot things
never understood the appeal of these games.
>>
>>2835115
I'm not a fan but I won't judge. I'm pretty convinced that fans only play it as a fangame though, aside from those people who really get into the competitive play.
>>
>>2840331
I like to explain it to people as the ultimate fan game to end all fan games. Imagine if you were a car fan, and every year you could buy a game that contained an updated set of every car released that year, plus various famous cars from past years, and they performed like in real life. Or imagine a game for some large metaverse, like transformers for example, that every year got brand-new games featuring almost every character in existence in all the series, and kept adding more each year to go along with new series. That's basically what it is, yearly sports simulators are the kings of all fangame efforts.
>>
>>2840336
>racing games are meant to simulate the specific use of cars racing in often exotic enviornments
>retro platformers are meant to test the spatial skill and muscle memory that comes with 2-dimensional advancement
>first person shooters are meant to place the player in a particular space and time and use weaponry from a first person perspective to interact with the world through the use of weaponry
>sports games simulate what you and some friends could do in a park
Face it chump, sports games are either for diehard normie sportsfags or lonely people who have no friends to play/watch sports with.
>>
>>2840352
>>sports games simulate what you and some friends could do in a park
So you've never played a sports game. Good to know.
>>
>>2840352

Do sport titles remind you about those bullies at hs?
>>
>>2840352
Sport requires skill to be fun. Skill can only be learned through years and years of hard training. Picking up a controller and doing cool shit is pretty easy in comparison.
>>
>>2835092
at least in the new PES you can create teams. I feel like FIFA takes away features every year, all they do is concentrate on FUT. They added academy training this year which is ok but its still a far cry from the game of 6 years ago which is pretty sad desu
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ih-YO4-JI
>GOOAAALLLL
>nice save
>>
File: magnetic soccer.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
magnetic soccer.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
Hey, anyone ever played this? Quality piece of shit right here.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.