[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ys thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14
File: ys1tg16-feena.png (7 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
ys1tg16-feena.png
7 KB, 320x224
I have a question about this series... well, about the PC Engine version of I & II (yes I know the remake is supposed to be better but I'm playing this for historical reasons + because I like the look of the old character art)

In that version, I and II are linked together into one big game, with your experience from the first game carrying over to the next. So I want to ask... is the game rebalanced for this change, or will the bosses hurt you far less than they normally would with a clean slate in one of the standalone releases of the sequel? I get no satisfaction from being over-leveled in games like this so yeah.
>>
>>2833076
Oh hey, is that Knights of Xentar? I love Knights of Xentar
>>
>>2833086

Wrong, you can choose the artwork from the Ys Legacy version, which is much less moe
>>
Oh btw OP, you're still too early but Ys 1 has a level cap. So no, you won't be overpowered. I don't think your level even carry over to Ys II.

Ys I and II are basically one game. That's why it is always released in "double-package".
>>
File: ys1eternal-feena.png (158 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ys1eternal-feena.png
158 KB, 640x480
>>2833124
I meant that "old-school moeshit" tends to look the same. I'm not even insulting it, I like that style.

I think this is my favorite of the remakes of that illustration.
>>
File: ys1complete-feena (1).png (204 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ys1complete-feena (1).png
204 KB, 640x480
>>2833131
The shading in this one is too digital for me, I prefer more hand-drawn looking stuff.
>>2833129
I think it does carry over in the PC Engine version? The Steam version is two separate games (I think), but the PCE-CD one is LITERALLY just one single game.

I may have been mislead by a full playthrough and the player just grinded a lot at the beginning, I'll check now.
>>
File: 256736-aliya06.jpg (436 KB, 1600x999) Image search: [Google]
256736-aliya06.jpg
436 KB, 1600x999
>>2833134
>>2833129
Also, to be fair to the new games, this one's character art is miles above the generic VN-tier stuff in games like Felghana and Origin.
>>
File: ys2pc88-intro-04.png (4 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ys2pc88-intro-04.png
4 KB, 640x400
>>2833134
>>2833129
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPfd2dIkjc
(warning: annoying commentary) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5aj9xKSyw#t=8m37s

Nope, it looks like it wasn't a result of grinding and your experience does carry over.
>>
>>2833129
Also
>Oh btw OP, you're still too early
I didn't take that screenshot myself, I'm actually at the bat demon guy now.
>>
>>2833164
>bat demon guy

Is that the boss? That was pure hell the first time I've encountered it.
Not having enough, I challenged it back in the chronicles version in nightmare, took me 2 hours before I killed it.
>>
>>2833373
Yeah he's genuinely hard as fuck. I saw some Youtube idiot who grinded for eons until he was literally invincible in that fight but I'd never do that, it just ruins any sense of achievement.
>>
>>2833556
Part of fun in Ys is counting how many times you died and the total time you spent just to kill the boss on highest difficulty.

That said, if the demonic bat took be two hours, Dark Fact took me 4 hours to beat in nightmare.
Turning the whole boss fight into bullet dodging and puzzles makes it extra hard.
>>
>>2833086
>>2833136
Man, you sure are stupid.
>>
>>2833697
High-caliber discernment will appear stupid to the taste-impaired.
>>
>>2833136
>this artist didn't come back for Celceta
Fucking kill me.
>>
>>2833795
>High-caliber discernment will appear stupid to the taste-impaired.
Prove it. Also, stupid appears stupid to non-idiots. That is a fact.
>>
>>2833136
Ys 7 Brogi is best Brogi.
>>
>>2835345
Proving to you that I have perfect taste would be akin to proving to a man who was born blind that the sky is blue.
>>2835338
The Celceta art is... man, I dunno. There's nothing about it that particularly bothers me about it, nothing I particularly like; it's just... competence.
>>
I've been playing Ys 1/2 recently and I surprisingly am enjoying them a lot. I tried Ys 1 for PSP a few years ago but really didn't have fun at all. I decided to give it another go, this time on PC, and enjoyed it more. I think Ys 1 gets a lot better halfway through the game once you get to Darm Tower. The mines in general, bat boss especially, are the worst part of the game.

Right now I'm playing Ys 2, currently in the shrine, and I think it's an amazing step forward from Ys 1. 1 feels really old school, but 2 is comparatively very modern feeling. The world is also much larger so it feels more expansive, a true journey compared to Ys 1 where there are only a couple actual locations of note in a small overworld. I'm playing the Chronicles versions, but I'd imagine older versions are quite similar.
>>
>>2835350
It's a shame Dogi doesn't appear more in the Ys games,he is only in the end of Ys 1 doesn't appear at al in Ys 2 and in Ys 3 he's mostly in town.
>>
>>2837828
I hear the PC-88 version of Ys II has much worse grinding compared to PC-88 Ys I and the PC remakes, which is odd but could be the case.

>>2835350
He's certainly the Nose Dogi.

>>2835338
Enami's not cheap, and he's not a studio artist by any stretch of the imagination. Nobuteru Yuki's a freelancer who often works like a studio artist, but even he floats around. By the way, Yuki hasn't done Ys game art yet. He did art for Xak III, though; Micro Cabin was smart to grab him for a while if that meant they could stand out next to Falcom.

>>2833134
Minako Iwasaki's art would be great to have back for new Falcom games. It's a little more rough compared to their newest style but poses are better, she doesn't give characters axe-heads for jaws, and shading's pretty good.
>>
File: ys9.png (14 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
ys9.png
14 KB, 320x239
>>2837828
>The mines in general, bat boss especially, are the worst part of the game.
I agree that the mines are annoying as fuck if you don't have a readily-made map (I gave up and used one, because fuck it), but I like the boss. I just had a LOT of trouble with him because the boss FAQ I used gave me the wrong information (basically "only attack when his wings are already open" which is BULLSHIT AND ALMOST FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE) but once you figure out what you're meant to do it's not that annoying or hard and the bat-dodging almost makes me think of a bullet-hell shmup.
>>
File: ys i.png (65 KB, 1006x668) Image search: [Google]
ys i.png
65 KB, 1006x668
Can't fucking believe how much easier this really was after I figured out what I was really supposed to do. Fuck Gamefaqs.
>>
File: Iwasaki.Minako.full.135959.jpg (234 KB, 808x1200) Image search: [Google]
Iwasaki.Minako.full.135959.jpg
234 KB, 808x1200
>>2838190
Her art is way better and feels less like standard anime when it has more detailed (and not ugly & over-computerized) coloring. If a Ys game had character art like this, that would be awesome, but I doubt she'd put that much effort into it.

I'd rather just have Enami come back. Or get back to the 80s Cream Lemon-like look but that would never happen.
>>
>>2840061
Remember, if you can't beat a boss, just level up.
>>
>>2840452
That guy's hard even at level cap, though.
>>
>>2840189
Best solution would be to get Yuki on-board doing art much like what he drew for Lodoss or PC-98 Brandish. I'm assuming we're talking about static portrait/background art, but he could do animation too if needed. Falcom has more than enough money to contract him, but it's a matter of whether they want to appeal indirectly to Westerners who remember the Lodoss OVA fondly (or who at least recognize and can appreciate it).
>>
>>2840452
>>2840464
That's not really good advice though; I was at the minimum level possible (and with the Silver Sword) but I was just doing something horribly wrong because the FAQ misinformed me. Once I figured out the strategy I was MEANT to use I did totally fine (though I still lost most of my health lol)

In the PCE vresion (and maybe in the very first release too?) of Ys 1 you can literally over-level and make yourself invincible if you grind a LOT (which I... think you can't in the PC remake? I'll play it later but I heard people say grinding doesn't fuck up the game as much). I saw a Youtube video of a guy fighting that boss and whenever he got hit the "klink" sound played and he took no damage. But he also had far more experience than me and it looked like he spent fucking HOURS killing random enemies in the mine and that's just tedious, especially when you've gone beyond the point where they can even hurt you at all if they bump into you and you gain experience very slowly.

Regardless, if I CAN beat a boss at the lowest level possible (the one that at least allows me to hurt him) then I'll try to do it unless it'll get too hard for me which I doubt it will. At worst so far I've just had to backtrack and get a better weapon, but never had to grind a lot.
>>
>>2840469
Do Japanese people not remember those OVAs fondly, then? I guess they're based on books so hardcore fans could have a "ugh, they made the story shallow" reaction to simplified OVA adaptations but I dunno.

I have no idea what Nobuteru Yuki actually animates like since there doesn't seem to be any name-tagged footage of his scenes online. The best I could find was a clip from Battle Royal High School which has him tagged as "supervising animator" so I honestly have no idea how good at animation he is on his own.

But man, I didn't know he did the animation character designs for Paradise Kiss, that's neat.
>>
>>2841135
Sure, but sometimes you can't do enough damage and then leveling up will help.
>>
>>2841149
Lodoss started as a D&D campaign, its oral version being published in Comptiq magazine (a prominent Japanese PC gaming mag) with Ryo Mizuno writing the light novel series right after. I'm sure the OVA condenses a lot of the LN, but it and the LN are both longer than the original play sessions transcribed. It's all fondly remembered, but that's clearly not enough for Falcom to take a chance and bring in someone from a bygone era, like Yuki, to do new Falcom game art. He's still getting work, though, most notably as a lead on the recent Space Battleship Yamato series.

Here's the Xak III cover he did for Micro Cabin. So many of these illustrators (Enami too) can do varied art-styles but almost never get any chances to draw this or that way on projects.
>>
File: ys mantis.png (65 KB, 1000x663) Image search: [Google]
ys mantis.png
65 KB, 1000x663
>>2841242
Yeah, true; just now I leveled up to 22 to fight the mantis boss because level 21 dealt waaaaaaaaaaaaay too little damage and I can only imagine the most autistic player being able to beat him at that point. I just meant that some people grind to a ridiculous extent and just make the game boring by making themselves literally invincible. I personally see it as the equivalent of "beating" one of those "you can skip a level if you suck really bad" Wii platformers like Donkey Kong Country and New Super Mario Bros; but I get how others wouldn't, since many just play RPGs to watch numbers go up (and to be frank I used to enjoy the same skinner box-type experience as a kid before I realized "wait, this is manipulative and shitty" and decided to try to beat games like this without grinding too much).

I still haven't beat the mantis yet though because I got greedy and tried to get too much damage in and the scythes came back ;_;
>>2841278
I dunno why you specifically mentioned the west then. Do Ys games actually sell better outside of Japan these days?
>So many of these illustrators (Enami too) can do varied art-styles but almost never get any chances to draw this or that way on projects.
Well, animators HAVE to be able to draw in multiple styles or else they're fucked. That's why they're actually some of the most technically skilled artists.
>>
File: qwyhqkudyqwd.png (33 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
qwyhqkudyqwd.png
33 KB, 1280x1024
mother fucker
>>
File: fuck.png (34 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
34 KB, 1280x1024
eat shit
>>
>>2833568
I'm gonna play through the games once using the PC Engine version so I can get the dungeons and shit out of the way and figure out the boss strategies and patterns. Then I'll get the PC version and go straight for Nightmare.
>>
File: qjwlkdhqwldhq.png (24 KB, 1004x667) Image search: [Google]
qjwlkdhqwldhq.png
24 KB, 1004x667
...holy crap how is this even a boss? It's miles below all the other bosses in difficulty, even the first one. I've had a tougher time killing the tiny hedgehog things in the first dungeon.

I hope it'll be tougher on Nightmare in the PC version.
>>
>>2841420
I don't know where you are in the game exactly since I don't remember this boss butYs 1 endgame isn't exactly hard, since at that point you probably already hit the level cap and got the best equipment.
The only last boss is kinda hard, but for certain reasons that I won't spoil for you. And he is the kind of boss that you just have to learn his patterns.
>>
>>2841431
>since at that point you probably already hit the level cap
...seriously? I'm not even vaguely close to reaching it. To get my experience all the way up would mean spending maybe an hour killing the same enemies over and over again.

Actually, look at my screencap, I wasn't even halfway through the experience cap at that point (now I'm around 7000). So by that point it would be even more tedious to maximize your level because you haven't even reached the most high-level by that point.

I guess what I'm asking is... why would you bother grinding far more than you should when you can just memorize the boss patterns and effectively dodge their attacks to get through the same shit with less tedium and more challenge? It's an *action* JRPG, not an MMORPG.
>>
File: head things.png (25 KB, 994x648) Image search: [Google]
head things.png
25 KB, 994x648
After nearly finishing it, I'm gonna say that I think the first Ys game is pretty underrated. I think many people, from what I've heard/read, look at it sorta wrong; either grinding too much or expecting it to be exploration-centric; typical JRPG stuff, basically. It's much more engaging if you play it as an *action* RPG.

As long as you can deal decent damage to a boss, just keep trying; memorize the pattern, learn to dodge as effectively as possible. There's a specific kind of twitch-based, old-school gaming appeal to fighting a boss without being over-leveled, where one wrong move can mean a huge chunk of your health bar is chopped off. It's almost like a particularly difficult shmup, and it's pretty satisfying.

Plus, aside from the aforementioned rock boss which just sucked shit, the learning curve is also pretty good with each boss getting progressively harder as you go along.

So yeah.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.