[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Characters who you feel should be more popular than they currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12
File: setzer.png (59 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
setzer.png
59 KB, 200x198
Characters who you feel should be more popular than they currently are. Pic related.
>>
Did people actually use this fag? Cyan, Shadow, Gau, the Figaro bros were much cooler.
>>
>>2832679
OP again. I admit he wasn't one of my "Main 4" (Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin) But he was number 5 or 6 on my list immediately after them.
>>
>>2832670
Isn't that the guy from Kingdom Hearts 2? Was he in a game before KH2? I was he was a OC for the game.
>>
>>2832690
Either you're trolling or proving my point exactly.
>>
>>2832670
is this a belmont character from castlevania?
>>
>>2832696
from all the comments i think he's from an obscure square game. maybe rom saga 3.
>>
File: LostVikingsHOTS-e1420423053856.jpg (123 KB, 600x768) Image search: [Google]
LostVikingsHOTS-e1420423053856.jpg
123 KB, 600x768
>>
I think Setzward Gamblerhands was a pretty shit character to have in the party but a pretty cool character background-wise.
You know... for the whole... what... maybe 10% of the story to which he's relevant, or so. Yeah.
You could cut him out, render him a Banon-like SemiPC or a completely NPC and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the game, if any at all.

Basically, he was fairly pointless. Not as pointless as, say, Gau, Mog or Shadow (you heard me), but pretty pointless all the same.
He has no ties/connections with any of the other characters other than a passing thing for Celes, has no interactions with any of the other characters (other than Celes) and other than giving you two airships, is mostly irrelevant to the story.

Actually, strike that about Gau: Gau is wholly relevant during Sabin's scenario, but completely irrelevant thereafter as he has even fewer interactions with other characters than Setzward Gamblerhands does.
>>
>>2832726
>Shadow (you heard me)
No, I agree. Shadow is a superfluous character whose whole entire plot arc is
>he left his family behind ;___;

It's weird how everyone thinks VII was the "emo" Final Fantasy when VI is actually way worse in that respect.
>>
>>2832726
Seems a bit misguided to measure the importance of any given character by how often they interact with other unimportant characters.

The only characters that really take a proactive role in driving the main plot are Locke, Celes, and Terra. Though, Terra is the macguffin, so the significance of her character might be overstated. As an auxiliary character I'd say Setzer is no less important than Edgar.
>>
>>2832734
What plot arc? He's entirely optional up until the thirty minutes you have him in Thamasa. He's not part of the plot. He's a sidestory and that's it. Basically, Leo/Banon-tier story relevance.

I don't think either is emo. I like VI, but I'm honestly not sure if it's due to nostalgia goggles or genuine affection. I'm guessing the latter because my favourite game growing up was Lunar on SCD (which teached me to talking English good) and, when I replayed it last year for the first time since 1996 or so when I sold my SCD and game collection, I was appalled at how one-track-y/rail-road-y it was.
>>
>>2832679
I used to use him up until the first time I rolled Joker Doom. Never again.
>>
>>2832734
>VI
>emo

is this a new meme?
>>
>>2832735
>Locke, Celes and Terra
Also Edgar and Sabin and Cyan. The others can be one-shot characters like Leo/Banon and it wouldn't really change anything.
Setzer's relevance in WoB's story ends as soon as he appears. In WoR, it ends once you get the airship.
Gau, Shadow, Mog, Umaro and Gogo are listed in order from mostly irrelevant to entirely irrelevant.
Relm and Strago are relevant for about 30 minutes in Thamasa and that's about it.
The first six mentioned in this post continue to be relevant from their first appearance to their reintroduction in WoR.
>>
>>2832679
I used him.

>snappy dresser
>attacks with cards/dice
>owns his own airship

What's not to like? FF6 isn't the kind of game you need max builds on all the time.
>>
>>2832757
I didn't like his girly hair or tryhard cloak or how his only backstory and chara development was "I raced a girl who beat me once".
>>
>>2832772
but then she died before they could hook up i cry everytiem ;_;
>>
>>2832757
>What's not to like?

That part where he kills the whole party every 100 turns or so.
>>
>>2832754
>Terra
that feel when no bf
>Locke
my girlfriend is deeeead ;_;
>Seltzer
my girlfriend is deeeead ;_;
>Edgar
my parents are deeeeeee
>Sabin
eeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>Cyan
eeeeeeeeeeeeead ;__;
>>
>>2832783
It's part of the thrill
>>
>>2832786
this

V was the last good ff. Fuck Kitase for ruining the franchise.
>>
>>2832786
>>Terra
>that feel when no bf
That's so completely and utterly wrong I literally cannot stop nervously shaking and foaming from the mouth. I believe I have been baited, 9/10 good job.
>>
>>2832786
You left Relm, Gau, Shadow, and Celes off that list.
>>
>>2832670
But anon, Alucard is very popular.
>>
File: 1448952390136.png (428 KB, 1099x897) Image search: [Google]
1448952390136.png
428 KB, 1099x897
>>2832670
>>
>>2832703
>FF6
>Obscure
uuuuuuuuuum
>>
>>2832726
Gau is the motherfucking shit, nigga.
You just don't know how to use a blue-zerker.
>>
>>2832808
Doesn't make him relevant to the story suddenly.
>>
>>2832814
Is the OP beast-man melee character ever relevant to the story?
>>
File: ff6.jpg (76 KB, 736x524) Image search: [Google]
ff6.jpg
76 KB, 736x524
>>2832808
Gau/Cyan/Sabin arc in FF6 was the best part of the game though.
>>
He becomes GOAT in WoR and no one seems to ever talk about it.

Fixed Dice + Offering/Master's Scroll has insane, unblockable damage output. It's slightly chance based, but more often than not he's doing upwards of 9999 damage each time. Great boss-killer, and works well on pesky enemies.
>>
>>2832849
I like offerings on locke with muscle belt and his unique weapon (valiantknife?) insane dmg output.

I am 23 years old and i played this for the First time last week. Amazing game!
>>
>>2832849
Also if you grind on Hoovers and Cactuar at all for MP, then soon enough you'll have plenty of dosh to throw around with Coin Toss.
>>
>>2832679
He becomes god tier with offering + fixed dice. Unfortunately you get that in the last 45 min of gameplay on your first run where he is horrifically underleveled. You figure out how to do a moogle charm raid and he's utterly broken OP.
>>
>Tfw you love Cyan but he starts off fairly useless and only gets worse as the game goes on
>>
>>2832901
Just equip gauntlet and genji glove, dude, anyone can win at this game
>>
>>2832901
his sword skills sucks but his normal attacks aren't bad, are they?
>>
>>2832670
Only in my darker moments in recent years did I understand why his character mattered. He added that random element of chance to the story that's involved in all tragedies. There are no guarantees in life.

Otherwise, no. I turned him into an important and gave him the imp gear with the dragoon boots and dragon horn when I had to use him, since he sucked at fighting.
>>
>>2832916
I turned him into an imp. Goddamn autocorrect.
>>
>>2832906

He's actually a pretty good character.

It's just because faggots only use the faggots brothers that complete breaks the game.

Cyan is more useful than Celes. Except for their unique skills, Cyan's Bushido is good but it has to charge... Well, kinda like Celes that needs to expend 1 turn.
>>
>>2832775
You literally spoilered the wrong half of your sentence. Dick.
>>
>>2832916
You mean he personified randomness in the game. But I don't see how his story is that special compared to the stories of other characters.
>>
File: J 003.png (259 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
J 003.png
259 KB, 700x700
This picture just about says it all...
>>
>>2832670
>>2832726
Setzer is an artifact of Faris' original design. They loved it so much that they kept it and used it in VI. They still really didn't utilize it that well I guess. Celes ended up being much more prominent as one of the designers caught the waifu bug.
>>
>>2832804
Yeah, except he didn't. It's funny pasta, but no. WoL is just proto-Cecil.
>>
>>2832906
His first sword skill takes no time to charge, does more damage than a normal hit and can't miss
>>
ff6 cast is a perfect example of quantity instead of quality, like chrono cross and suikoden games
>>
File: -v- - Video Games_1281346462602.png (109 KB, 1664x836) Image search: [Google]
-v- - Video Games_1281346462602.png
109 KB, 1664x836
>>2832804
Oh my god, I actually remember this pasta.
>>
>>2832792
That is some euphoric diction; my fedora tip for u
>>
>>2833043
I don't believe it and will not habeeb it without proof.
>>
>>2832919
Sabin becomes underpowered toward late game. He can't use any good armor/weapons and a ST, non targetable skill lacks luster. Edgar remains useful with a dragoon setup or illumina setup.

Cyan is good until the floating continent/WoR, where characters who have good mag pwr (Celes, Terra, Relm) overtake him with spells, and I'm not even talking Ultima. For a fighter he gets lackluster gear. His dream sequence should have halved the swd tech charge time and he would remain more useful, or it should use mp and have no charge at all.

You can salvage him by being the third illumina user in the final dungeon using the merit award, though, with Celes and Terra being the other two.

Setzer is useless until you get fixed dice and offering. His special ability sucks and his mag power doesn't warrant time investment for learning magic.
>>
>>2832670
>use him in BNW
>receive a healer that just does not fucking die or run out of MP ever and can bust out either 9999s or an instant, MP-less party heal every time if you're skilled at slots
>when I don't need him as a healer in a playthrough, turn him into a stamina bot that belts out defense ignoring damage every single turn and busts out emergency RegenXs to heal the entire party for more than their max HP and stack regen on top of them
Definitely one of my favorite characters. Vanilla Setzer? Not so much.
>>
>>2833338
>According to the "Chocobo's FF Laboratory" feature published in V Jump in 1993, the character of Faris was originally a female gambler named Eva Scherwil. The developers encountered difficulties in making her fit in the game's world and atmosphere, and changed her into a pirate and Lenna's sister. In a later issue of V Jump the developers noted that Setzer Gabbiani from Final Fantasy VI evolved from this early Eva concept.

For fun, here's the additional text about Celes' development
>Celes was originally meant to be a "conflicted spy" archetype — a spy working for the antagonists, but swayed by the benevolence of the people she was supposed to be spying and how nice Locke was to her. She was to be psychologically unstable, like Kefka, due to similar magic infusion process.[3] Although the "conflicted spy" idea was not used in the final game, the archetype was used for Cait Sith in Final Fantasy VII. Celes was Yoshinori Kitase's favorite Final Fantasy VI character from a developer's point of view. Kitase has stated that at first, Celes did not have as much of a role but this changed later in development.[4]

>Kitase has later commented him having taken a liking to Celes ended up making her a more important character in the game than originally envisioned:

>"I ended up so involved with each personality while scripting the scenarios that there were points where, looking back at the game today, it's clear that I somewhat lost this balance. For example, as the scenes featuring Celes and Kefka progress, these characters (while not directly playable in the game) became far greater and more influential than originally intended when development began."
>—Yoshinori Kitase in an interview with Edge magazine in 2013.[2]
>>
>>2833481
tl;dr the whole thing, but that's only because I knew about the Celes thing already.
So basically, Setzer was meant to be Daryl. Someone ought to get on making that a reality. Woulda been interesting for Daryl to be a playable character. A bisexicle tomboy attracted to Maria/Celes and who pines for her lost love, Setzer.
And who uses chains and whips as weapons besides just the gambler's stuff because kinky.
>>
>>2833481
thanks for the read. That was actually pretty interesting. I really liked Celes as a character too, guess this explains some of it.
>>
>>2832826
Mah nigga.
>>
>>2833481
That explains why the game abandons Terra as the main story arc character after the floating continent.
>>
>>2833481
It's unfortunate that the game lost its potential to have a great story because of waifu syndrome.
>>
File: morrigan_by_artofty-d7iaqpb.jpg (671 KB, 936x1404) Image search: [Google]
morrigan_by_artofty-d7iaqpb.jpg
671 KB, 936x1404
What the fuck is wrong with you, Capcom? Why do you do so little with a character so beloved?
>>
>>2833841
>implying her character is anything more than pinup cleavage shots
>>
>>2833851
Works for Bayonetta.

Tell me you wouldn't play Bayonetta, Morrigan Edition.
>>
>>2833851
I don't really think she has going for her in the gameplay department. She's just Ryu with that mirror illusion mirage dark force combo thing. And tits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJIe4pFqaw
>>
>>2832786
Cyan's wife and son died, not his parents.
>>
>>2832726
>he was fairly pointless. Not as pointless as, say, Gau, Mog or Shadow

I LOST A BET is not a compelling argument as to why a character should be included as a playable character. The other characters have actual motivations for participating in the plot of the story.
>>
>>2834094
Even Gogo?
>>
>>2834098
You know full well the bonus characters aren't actually part of the plot.
>>
>>2834181
Like Vincent and Yuffie :^)
>>
>>2834094
You can go the whole game through without ever recruiting Mog.
You can go the whole game through without ever using Gau outside of Sabin's hour-long scenario.
You can go the whole game through without Shadow ever making an impact to the plot.
They're all rather pointless side-characters with zero bearing on the story at all.
Setzer has more relevance to the story than Mog, Gau and Shadow do.
>>
>>2834098
Gogo was just along for the ride.

Still was extremely useful though.
>>
>>2834181
Can we just consider Alka Seltzer a bonus character then?
>>
>>2834346
No, because you can't skip over his meagre contributions to the plot. He is one of the three (?) mandatory end-game party members.

>>2834252
Pretty much. It's entirely possible to go the entire game without interacting with them or even being aware of their existence. Or were you trying to be glib?
>>
>>2834335
>You can go through the whole game without ever recruiting Mog

Considering he's a temporary guest character for the first strategy battle, no you can't.

>You can go the whole game through without ever using Gau outside of Sabin's hour-long scenario.

Equally true of Setzer, proving nothing.

>You can go the whole game through without Shadow ever making an impact to the plot.

Yeah, see, he's one of those characters that has actual development, though. You can find out more about him if you're so interested. Also, his impact on the story has more direct relevance than Setzer - he's canonically present for the disruption of the Warring Triads and for the mission for the hunt for the Espers at Thamasa. Setzer's net development is the same at the start as it is in the end, he was the only character not directly or even indirectly harmed by the Empire in the WoB, joins for extremely fickle reasons and doesn't ever change or grow as a character.

You don't like Mog, Gau, or Shadow, that's fine. But saying that he has any relevance to the plot is a stretch, his stats and weapons are subpar and his unique ability is bad when you get him and goes into flat out atrocious the longer you keep him around - 50% of the time he's casting Lagomorph for like 2% max hp healing, that's PITIFUL.
>>
>>2833801
I always found it weird how she's considered the main/central character. The game doesn't present it that way at all.
>>
>>2834393
I was being glib towards the fanboys of those two characters, who would inevitably argue that they are plot relevant if you put them in your party in select sections of the game, like Vincent vs Hojo during the second raid on Midgar.
>>
>>2834413
To be fair, FF6 is a game with an ensemble cast and nobody gets true top billing. It goes to Terra mostly because she's the first one we see.
>>
>>2834421
>It goes to Terra mostly because she's the first one we see.

But even then! I considered Locke more integral to the game overall in terms of moving the plot along.
>>
>>2834424
Ehhh, except Locke is one of last people you recover in the World of Ruin, especially if you follow the map's recommended order.
>>
File: edgar-chainsaw.jpg (273 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
edgar-chainsaw.jpg
273 KB, 900x675
>>2834421
The Figaro Bros. contribute most to driving the story, especially Edgar though.

EDGAR IS THE TRUE HERO OF FF6
>>
>>2834431
And that always annoyed me since he was one of my mains for the first half of the game. By the time I got him back, I didn't really need him anymore.
>>
File: TFFCC-Edgar.png (77 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
TFFCC-Edgar.png
77 KB, 256x256
>>2834432
in Theatrhytm Curtain Call, FF6 is represented by Terra, Locke, Celes and Edgar, so that's probably a good indication at least of whom Square holds most important.
>>
>>2832694
What's your point?
>>
>>2834421
That plus her nature regarding Espers and how she's connected, but yeah, I agree there's no real 'main character'. I really love that a lot, it really comes across as having everyone be important in their own way, and it's only amplified at the ending.
>>
File: stone_cold_badass.jpg (34 KB, 175x194) Image search: [Google]
stone_cold_badass.jpg
34 KB, 175x194
This tiny, tiny man.
>>
>>2834409
>guest is the same as recruit
You're dumb.

>setzer is just as irrelevant as gau
Gau is relevant for 30-60 minutes from the Veldt through the Serpent Trench and home to Narshe.
Setzer is relevant at the end of the opera, to fly you to Vector, to fly you to the floating continent, and to get the second airship. You deal with him, even if he's not in your party, three times more than you do Gau. So again: you're fucking dumb.

>[Shadow] has actual development, though.
No one said otherwise. Stop trying to argue against points no one made. The point was that he's not central to the plot. Because he's not. But then, as already said above, you're really, really fucking dumb, so you don't understand this.

> Also, his impact on the story has more direct relevance than Setzer - he's canonically present for the disruption of the Warring Triads and for the mission for the hunt for the Espers at Thamasa.
That's nice. What lines did he say again during those events? A bystander is just a bystander. But then, you're really far, far, far too dumb to understand that point.

> Setzer's net development is the same at the start as it is in the end, he was the only character not directly or even indirectly harmed by the Empire in the WoB, joins for extremely fickle reasons and doesn't ever change or grow as a character.
No one said otherwise. Stop arguing against points no one made. The point made was that he's more relevant to the story than Mog, Gau and Shadow are. Because he is. But, once more, your stupidity (because you're so super-ultra-mega-über dumb, it's shameful) disallows you from understanding the difference.

>You don't like Mog, Gau, or Shadow, that's fine.
No one said that. Stop arguing against points no one made. No one said anything about liking or disliking Mog, Gau or Shadow. All that was said is that Mog, Gau and Shadow are generally irrelevant side-characters who add little to nothing to the story. Because that's what they are.
>>
File: TFFCC-Benjamin.png (76 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
TFFCC-Benjamin.png
76 KB, 256x256
>>2834505
Heh, once again bringing up Theatrhythm, he always has the angry eyes. ALWAYS.
>>
>>2834523
He's got the bloodlust.
>>
>>2834421
>>2834490

It's pretty fair to call Terra the main character. She spends the entirety of the WoB acting as a living weapon for various factions mainly out of convenience and lack of better options. Finding her in the WoR devoted to a band of orphans and almost completely unwilling and unable to leave them to fight speaks volumes about her growth. First time I played a million years ago I genuinely thought she might remain an NPC for the duration of the game, and I would have been okay with it, if not more than a little disappointed because she had been a permanent party member beforehand.

She's also the only non-essential WoR character who will show up at the end regardless. That pretty much seals it.
>>
>>2832756

Gogo is the only important character.
>>
>>2834768
Incorrect. All the world's events pivot upon Umaro.
>>
>>2835972
>not interceptor
Faggot.
>>
>>2834432
>Figaro Bros.

I would pay for a good Super Mario Bros romhack with the Figaro Bros.as playable characters.

Sabin beats Bowser by suplexing him with every and castle uncluded because fuck you, he's Sabin.
>>
>>2834413
World of Balance is focused around Terra. World of Ruin isn't but it barely has any story beyond "find airship and friends and kill Kefka". Plus Terra will show up in the ending sequence even if you don't bother to visit her.
>>
>>2832734
>tsundere puppy lover
>emo
???????????????????
>>
>>2833430
BNW made me like characters I never used in vanilla FF. Cyan, Setzer and Relm are just great.
>>
>>2832679
I did, my favorite end game is Setzer, Edgar, Terra, and Shadow.
>>
>>2840279
The thing that drew me to the mod in the first place was the promise of a Cyan that wasn't shit. Cyan is one of the most interesting characters in VI and the fact that he and his core mechanic were utter shit despite that it would have been very, very easy to make him good was a travesty.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 960x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 960x620
>>2840320
I never used Cyan. Always thought he was a waste. Anyone else?
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.